Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

#43 Q. Hughes now Officially The Worst +/- Defenseman & Player in the entire league.

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Watching Dahlin his game has gotten worse on both ends of the ice. He makes A LOT of really dumb plays and treats the puck like a grenade in both ends.

It looks like a coaching issue.

Look at how Petey evolves. 

The coach wanted something else from Petey so they start changing him to something else. 
That process can take a lot of unnecessary time if you force the changes and it is probably whats happen with both Petey and Dahlin. 
i really believe coaches in Sweden has a much different approach to how the develop players. 
I haven’t much faith in the NA approach. :(

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

The latest update after last nights loss to the Oilers (May 3rd) is that Quinn is now solidly in the lead for 2nd worst +/- defenseman and 5th worst overall player (out of 886) in the entire National Hockey League with a staggering -25.    The good news is that it looks unlikely that he'll claim top spot as the league worst +/- defenseman because Dahlin has that pretty well locked up at an incredible minus -37.  Hopefully Quinn can get out of the top 10 worst category by trying to prevent being caught up ice so often, as that is an obvious stain on his reputation.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

The latest update after last nights loss to the Oilers (May 3rd) is that Quinn is now solidly in the lead for 2nd worst +/- defenseman and 5th worst overall player (out of 886) in the entire National Hockey League with a staggering -25.    The good news is that it looks unlikely that he'll claim top spot as the league worst +/- defenseman because Dahlin has that pretty well locked up at an incredible minus -37.  Hopefully Quinn can get out of the top 10 worst category by trying to prevent being caught up ice so often, as that is an obvious stain on his reputation.

 

 

It ain't going to happen under Greens tutelage that the entire thrust of his system

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't read the entire thread, so apologies if this has already been stated, but we didn't get Hughes because of his defensive abilities. He's a PP QB and a possession driver. His lack of size and tendency to gamble means that he's always going to be a risk/reward kind of player, but I for one, will take the "reward" over the "risk" every day of the week. (and twice on Sundays)

 

Think of it like this: Olympic Gold medal game....USA vs Canada....... Are you happier with Quinn Hughes being in, or out of the lineup?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I dunno whats going on but his game was so much better last year. I aint going to give tanev the credit for it because it was hughes doing all the great plays that isnt there as much this year. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Butters Stoch said:

It's fine, he isn't as terrible defensively as his +/- suggests. Being a league worst - just gives us more leverage in contract negotiations.

Lets be honest, he is pretty terrible defensively. Not because of his plus minus as that is a pretty mediocre stat at the best of times. He just isnt good in his own zone and his decision making defensively is pretty bad.

 

He wasnt drafted to be a defensive guy though. Just needs the right partner, a true #1 d with size and a two way game to let him do what he does best.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 2/11/2021 at 11:39 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Agreed.  It's like half the team forgot how to play hockey, but yet it's all because Tanev and Markstrom are gone.  People need to open their eyes.  This team is not even a real team anymore.  They stopped playing for this coaching staff weeks ago.

Yeah, its not like the Calgary Canucks had improved alot by the signing of those two.  Plus, on game day half the roster are hardly playing whereas the other half are eating up all the minutes - which means gaffes on both ends due to fatigue and less engagement due to low ice time.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Didn't read the entire thread, so apologies if this has already been stated, but we didn't get Hughes because of his defensive abilities. He's a PP QB and a possession driver. His lack of size and tendency to gamble means that he's always going to be a risk/reward kind of player, but I for one, will take the "reward" over the "risk" every day of the week. (and twice on Sundays)

 

Think of it like this: Olympic Gold medal game....USA vs Canada....... Are you happier with Quinn Hughes being in, or out of the lineup?

Seems to be another player the staff has miscasted.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Lets be honest, he is pretty terrible defensively. Not because of his plus minus as that is a pretty mediocre stat at the best of times. He just isnt good in his own zone and his decision making defensively is pretty bad.

 

He wasnt drafted to be a defensive guy though. Just needs the right partner, a true #1 d with size and a two way game to let him do what he does best.

He has been terrible defensively this year but he wasn't bad at all last year.  It's not just down to Tanev either, Quinn's speed and strength is just off this year.  It also shouldn't be understated that he's not catching anyone by surprise this year.  

 

In our first two-three games against Montreal, they sent guys in on forecheck and it was clear that their gameplan was to throw big hits on Quinn.  That rattled him more then anything I've seen in last year's playoffs for some reason.  

 

He's also been playing this year as if he needs a new contract and just wants to pump up his offensive numbers.  This is based on nothing though. 

 

He's not even playing like a 5 mil/year d-man right now, so I hope that we don't have to break the bank when we resign him.  

 

It shouldn't be forgotten though that he's a really young player.  He probably hasn't even learned how to cook his own meals and what to do after hockey games/practices.  For some reason people forget that young players have ups and downs.  MacKinnon and Matthews both had terrible years/stretches after they broke into the league.  

 

I stand behind Quinn, but I'm not okay with holding the team ransom for a really high contract kind of like what Boeser did with his contract structure in the last year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2021 at 6:44 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

Krug comes to mind too.

Brian Campbell was very good in his own end, and we controlling the play/pace of games.    And of course there is always Chelios but he was an animal...Housley too.  Rafalski.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2021 at 10:35 PM, RU SERIOUS said:

A sad stat , but with no one (Tanev) left to cover Quinn's A$$ when he's out of position when he's caught up ice or bumbling the puck, he's now fallen to the very worst and last +/- position in the entire National Hockey league at Minus -13 (Tied with Guess who....Gudbranson) with ALL 252 defenseman  and ALL 743 other players in the entire league with a better +/- than him.     

 

Does JB or TG share any blame for this very sad situation????

What in the actual **** is the point of posts like this?! I really can't stand a chunk of the fanbase / the sports media! The constant hate / negativity is exhausting!! And before someone tries to defend it...YES it is hate / negativity and NO it is not constructive criticism, or however you want to twist it. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2021 at 10:35 PM, RU SERIOUS said:

A sad stat , but with no one (Tanev) left to cover Quinn's A$$ when he's out of position when he's caught up ice or bumbling the puck, he's now fallen to the very worst and last +/- position in the entire National Hockey league at Minus -13 (Tied with Guess who....Gudbranson) with ALL 252 defenseman  and ALL 743 other players in the entire league with a better +/- than him.     

 

Does JB or TG share any blame for this very sad situation????

Remember when horvat had the league's worst plus minus? I'm surprised no one seems to remember that 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Didn't read the entire thread, so apologies if this has already been stated, but we didn't get Hughes because of his defensive abilities. He's a PP QB and a possession driver. His lack of size and tendency to gamble means that he's always going to be a risk/reward kind of player, but I for one, will take the "reward" over the "risk" every day of the week. (and twice on Sundays)

 

Think of it like this: Olympic Gold medal game....USA vs Canada....... Are you happier with Quinn Hughes being in, or out of the lineup?

Out of the lineup............................because he'd be playing for team USA !

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I dunno whats going on but his game was so much better last year. I aint going to give tanev the credit for it because it was hughes doing all the great plays that isnt there as much this year. 

I agree, he looks like a loose canon out there sometimes, often out of position, regularly being caught up ice, outmuscled and the No.1 Canuck responsible for causing goals against our team - by a long-shot.   

 

After our entire coaching staff is fired in 14 days, I hope our new defensive coach next season gets that cleaned up with him because despite all the Hoop-La over Quinn (and he definitely is skilled & exciting to watch) he undoubtedly makes many rookie mistakes that our current coaching staff are either unwilling or unable to correct.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Out of the lineup............................because he'd be playing for team USA !

Exactly.....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the big thing with Hughes is deployment and playing him to his strengths.  At this point in his career he shouldn’t be getting more minutes at 5 on 5 than the other d pairings.  I’m sure there will be some roster shakeup on the back end but from a deployment standpoint if I were running the bench the Myers pairing would get the oppositions 1st line the Schmidt pairing the 2nd line and the Hughes pairing matched up against the 3rd and 4th lines.  Choose your own adventure on who you pair up with each lead guy on these pairings.  A big part of success is putting yourself in a position to be successful.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Too lazy to go back and check, but I have to wonder how many minuses Quinn took last night thanks to brutal giveaways by Miller....

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...