The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Calgary Lames | February 13, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | NHN, CBC, SN

Rate this topic

-SN-

18 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Based on his amateur history and proven by his performance in last years playoff, when he KNOWS he is the #1 goalie, he can focus on playing the game instead of playing mind games with Green.  Imo, Holtby has played himself to be the back up at this point...

Agree 

to me it was completely unfair to revert him to a 1b after JB clearly sent the message he was the guy 

just more of Green conducting mental warfare 

Perhaps they've finally decided to ride Demko. The theory that Holtby was going to for some reason bounce back after trending downward for years was always flawed. I guess the salary they paid him came with an expectation of more work, but he should always have been the assumed back-up unless Demko fell on his face. Holtby has struggled to keep his head above ~.900 SV% for years.

Edited by TheCustodian
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Wow! That Burrows kid was really not that talented. How many goals did he score with his patented backhand roof? 

When talent between players are the same (or even better in some cases) it always comes down to the character the person; Burrows earned his way to a roster spot and this is what players like Virtanen do not realize, is that you can play your way to a roster spot (just like BB, EP and Hogz) but he is too busy (perhaps) hating on the coaching staff or on the externals rather than focusing on what he can control.  For example: Brady or even Steve Nash - they both were not the most talented players but (perhaps) they were the most prepared player when they step on the field/court and both are HOF.

Perhaps a change scenary will force JV to mature but he is comfortable here and benching him just sends the wrong message to him - he perhaps needs a coach that will be straight with him and not play mind games with him.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, TheCustodian said:

Perhaps they've finally decided to ride Demko. The theory that Holtby was going to for some reason bounce back after trending downward for years was always flawed. I guess the salary they paid him came with an expectation of more work, but he should always have been the assumed back-up unless Demko fell on his face. Holtby has struggled to keep his head above ~.900 SV% for years.

Ditto, atleat JB did not give him term this time and hopefully, it was JBs' choice to not give not give him term. 

12 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I don't really get the Hawryluk attention. His stats aren't impressive, he doesn't have size, doesn't get many penalties (no fights?), at 25 has only played 68 NHL games.

Am I missing something?

He is averaging 14 hits per 60 mins over his career (cf Motte at 12.07 over his career)

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

He was ok last game. Two unlucky goals. But nux needed a big save on Johnny Gaudreau in the third and he didn't. That goal sank the team. 

He will need to play better to win tonight.  The rest of the team too. Another 10% improvement. Since last Leafs game, they have been improving. Need a W desperately. 

10 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

He was ok last game. Two unlucky goals. But nux needed a big save on Johnny Gaudreau in the third and he didn't. That goal sank the team. 

He will need to play better to win tonight.  The rest of the team too. Another 10% improvement. Since last Leafs game, they have been improving. Need a W desperately. 

Paraphrasing but I remember watching a Grant Fuhr documentary and he stated that it does not matter the shot totals that determines games but rather (from a goalies point of view) it matters more to make the right stops at the right time. 

The staff needs to tell him that the #1 spot is his, regradless of his play.  Holty should be the backup moving forward...

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1