The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Calgary Lames | February 13, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | NHN, CBC, SN

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

As bad as this team has been, a 6 game winning streak puts us right back into playoff contention. Every win's worth 4 points so you never know.

I think all of the practices has finally paid off because the Canucks executed Green's gameplay perfectly tonight. This is what we saw in St. Louis and for most of the end of last season. It's a hard system to pull off because it's aggressive, two forecheckers and pinching defencemen, and for most of the season our timing on the neutral zone pinches has been wrong leading to all sorts of odd man rushes, but tonight we were cohesive and when that defenceman pinched, we had a forward back covering. Luckily, as good as we were, the Flames were average, and we won most of those pinches. Credit to Green for finally getting the boys to implement his system but now the question is whether or not this hole is too deep to dig out of, and whether we can sustain this consistently. I do worry that the system leaves us vulnerable and solid-structured teams like the Habs will still feast on us, but the system makes these average teams look horrible.

Top line was great tonight, Boeser again making chances out of nothing. Miller was average, still expect more from him.

Bo and Pearson had some solid fights along the boards and Hoglander is again our best players, winning just about every puck battle, maintaining possession so well and some nice shots and a post.

I thought Virtanen was alright, didn't generate much but skated well. Eriksson surprised me, skated terribly but he's got a smart quick stick that in the end won the empty netter. Even if we play him 9 minutes a game, he's worth it in the final seconds where we usually cough up the game. 4th line played well, Gaudette with some brilliant hustle on that forecheck to almost score a goal.

Defencemen were brilliant tonight but it all comes from support. In the first 5 games we were spread out all over the ice and had no one to pass to so our D were isolated, now they all were within a few feet of each other so could make quick passes or defend easier. Edler and Schmidt finally looked stable, Hughes and Myers with brilliant hard-worked goals, Benn was stable and Juolevi had a brilliant game.

Don't change a thing now but we've got to find a way to play this system well, consistently. It will still leak breakaway chances against us because of how much the D pinch so we have to be careful against Montreal and Toronto who will expose us, but if we play like this most nights we'll crawl back into the playoffs.

Great points and I would add that the deployment in the d core was very balanced 

I see the same people bashing us the last six games are now getting over excited for one win. Typical bandwagon fans. For those calling out the flames at the end there, you’d be pissed too if one of their players elbowed one of our best players in the head. You guys make us look bad as fans. Stop bitching and acting like whiny entitled brats. 

Edited by linden17
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, linden17 said:

I see the same people bashing us the last six games are now getting over excited for one win. Typical bandwagon fans. For those calling out the flames at the end there, you’d be pissed too if one of their players elbowed one of our best players in the head. You guys make us look bad as fans. Stop bitching and acting like whiny entitled brats. 

...and same posters come on here to bash other fans every time.

Quit bashing Nucks fans and go post on Calgary Puck.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 2

1 hour ago, Law of Goalies said:

Man, you really didn't watch the game.

Watched it start to finish, Jake played soft in both ends and looked lazy, he does everything at half speed. He plays on a team where a 20-year-old second round pick has passed him up by playing the right way. With his gifts, if Jake just played 75% as hard as Hoglander, he would be a star.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Virt was skating alot better, and had a better game relative to this season. But I feel like we are really lowering the bar calling this a good game for Virtanen. 

Last year he had 18 goals, was on a 21 goal pace. He brought a jolt to the team semi-consistently, was a legit top 9 scorer, had success with Pettersson, exc. This year he's really been a shell of what he was last season. 

Its been a step back this year, no question. And at this point I think we need to move on from the kid gloves treatment. He's not 21 & he's proven that he's a good player - capable of more. 

It's really hard for a player to not play some games, play on all four lines if playing to tey to get going. He is those players that need to play more. To be honest, only the top two lines have played with each other more than a couple of games. They are so much more successful (besides the fact they are also very talented) 

29 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Watched it start to finish, Jake played soft in both ends and looked lazy, he does everything at half speed. He plays on a team where a 20-year-old second round pick has passed him up by playing the right way. With his gifts, if Jake just played 75% as hard as Hoglander, he would be a star.

Then it seems we were watching different games or our focus was on different things. His back checking, his skating were all good, i didn't really see him floating. Maybe when you noticed him he was skating off for a line change and you thought he was floating

FINALLY a win...and well deserved one as well. The way the team fought against marky (WHY is he not on our team anymore :mad:) was definetly a sign that the team has spirit, that they wanted to win. But it takes a lot to maintain that, the energy and focus needed with so many games in such a short time. I absolutely LOVED watching hoglander play. Rookie but with such a high tenacity to get the puck its unbelievable. Hope he gets enough confidence to do even more things like he did in the SHL. Got a feeling we will see a lacrosse goal from him soon... But all in all, i thought the team looked better and finally got that important win after a really long battle against bad bounces and a long mental struggle after a losing streak. 1st line was ok and did create some nice chances, but i fear Miller has lost a bit of confidence since he hasnt gotten results when working hard like he did last season and that may slow that line a bit. He was our best player last year so expectations are indeed very high on him. I liked the work that Eriksson and Virtanen did at times but Jake must be more consistent in the way he puts in his work. But all in all....a great game where we finally got a win that was well deserved. We need a turnaround to regain confidence and make the hockeygods turn in our favor.....like that old saying.... u needd to be good to be lucky and lucky to be good. :towel:

2 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Absolutely agree on Juolevi. He is really starting to look good.  And I loved his hit on Tkachuck.

But remember Chatfield must play 18 more games = 27 total for the year in order to meet the league requirement that we have one D available to the seattle draft who played 27+ games this year.  Otherwise that has to be either myers or schmidt who is exposed.

So there is a specific reason why Chatfield is getting games.

I know he just had a great game and all, but the team should expose Myers. He’s the only less-than-desirable contract the team has that extends past next season.

23 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

i love marky but in 3 yrs  calgary will still owe him 18 mill    thats another eriksson contract by then. demko is much younger and  can be a mvp like in playoffs so  benning made right choice.

You are comparing an elite goalie in Marky to Eriksson?? Not everyone who signs a 6 year contract become Ericksson. Marky might even play as long as Brodeur did.

1 hour ago, linden17 said:

wow Canucks win a game and you talk about how we should be nice about the Flames being butthurt? Tkatchuk is an SOB and doesnt deserve any respect and that Flames team can thank Marky for most of their win otherwise they would be in the same spot as Sens.

• Like 3