The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Calgary Lames | February 13, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | NHN, CBC, SN

Rate this topic

-SN-

19 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

So very true on this one.  

Trolls who do not know much about the game still calling out Jake. He has had a good year so far. 

Complainers have got to complain though. 

Damn.  And while you posted this look what i just did.  Shame.   I'm going to turn my phone off now.   Ha ha.  Seriously though, JV lost his spot to Hoglander.   I'm not sure what he will do to claw his way back into the top six...but like JB said when he signed him it's 100% up to him at this point, or he will be passed by.   Still like JV and of course hope he makes it - but he's running out of chances.    I'm in his corner still.  OJs too, someone said he's like found money - not to me - most Ds take time, his path wasn't easy given his aversion to the gym (at the start), injuries and having to figure things out.   At the time of the draft he was considered the D with the best floor.   We are seeing why now.    Back to JV, it's anyone's guess as to how his career goes at this point - Bear was a good player, got hurt, and hasn't seen another chance since after getting a contract which was considered decent at the time.   Not the same path because JV is healthy.   JV is the only thing at this point that will keep JV in the NHL.    He's earned the position of having to prove himself all over.   And that's on him, not coaching.   TG and WD gave him chances.   Way, way more then McEwen, or Motte have had.    He's in their shoes now. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, aznmonk said:

Jake misses his pregame warmup at the rox.  Jake ain't no cam neely, neely only had 3 seasons with the Canucks before he was traded Jake has 6 years and still no improvements. If he plays as hard as Motte I'm supper happy 4th round pick. Should of qualify Jake at 1m per year.  Show me deal 

Jake needs to leave sick and tired of him floating around

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If Hawryluk is good to go we need to get him in and see how he does.

One of Gaud/Virtanen/Eriksson can sit. 

Might want to get Mac in as we lack an intimidating presence and I expect next game to be feisty.

I agree.

I would like to see the Mac - Sutter - Virt line again. It was generating a lot more chances.

I would also like to see Haw - Beagle - Roussel. That should be a feisty line if Haw comes as advertised.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Jake did worse than that. Like  throwing the puck away into the corner when he had passing options or giving up on a puck battle as soon as he was under pressure and just skated away.  I've been an ardent JV supporter from day 1 but I think I've finally seen enough. The team isn't any better with him on the ice, its time for him to go.

His hockey iq is horrible, just throws the puck away or does that wrist shot into goalies pad

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If Hawryluk is good to go we need to get him in and see how he does.

One of Gaud/Virtanen/Eriksson can sit. 

Might want to get Mac in as we lack an intimidating presence and I expect next game to be feisty.

McEwen back is a good thing next game for sure.   It's not like he needs to fight Lucic - but we for sure need him in the lineup as a deterrent for the rest of the Flames.   Lucic started his career when things were still rough/tough and the code was how this stuff was managed - and embarrassed himself the first time a fight didn't go his way by a real enforcer (ouch! come help me linesmen this guy is pounding my face please help me now!).   Just had to get that lick in - Lucic you stupid ex Bruin.   Don't buy mirrors they might crack.   That said don't be surprised to see the exact same lineup we had last night...unless a player needs a maintenance day.   

Just now, FaninMex said:

I agree with many here that he has not proven that he is a top 6 like we all wanted him to be.

I agree that he lost his spot to Hoglander.

I agree that he may lose his spot to Podkolzin when he arrives.

I do not agree that JV is as terrible as people are saying. For example, Sutter score his hattrick with JV on his line because JV was doing his job. The team was not losing because he was in the line up.

I do not agree that JV should get craped on while Gaudette gets a free pass.

I do not agree that JV is always compared to Motte or Hoglander as there are very few on this team that play like them. It is an unfair comparison and if he is compared to them then everyone must be,

No worries - I hope JV can break out like i'm sure almost every fan on this site (and i'm pretty sure a few are not really Canuck fans, like Ron McLean they hide in the weeds and enjoy the losing and can't help but crack smirks which are their tells).... What i was trying to say is at this point it is all on his shoulders.   He's had the chances based on draft position now - and he's had the chances based on a weak roster too.   Those are gone.   For better or worse it's completely on him making the absolute most of his oppurtinities when they come.   I think his salary is for sure fair.   Around 1.75 when we went to the final in 2011.   Nothing wrong with that sort of depth ... but it will all go to Hoglander in two years if he doesn't make it work.   In summatation he's past the excuse and entitled department, and he's also been called out my management (in danger of being passed).... i have no clue what will happen next - but all said, he's likely to pass the bust line before his career is over. 

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Damn.  And while you posted this look what i just did.  Shame.   I'm going to turn my phone off now.   Ha ha.  Seriously though, JV lost his spot to Hoglander.   I'm not sure what he will do to claw his way back into the top six...but like JB said when he signed him it's 100% up to him at this point, or he will be passed by.   Still like JV and of course hope he makes it - but he's running out of chances.    I'm in his corner still.  OJs too, someone said he's like found money - not to me - most Ds take time, his path wasn't easy given his aversion to the gym (at the start), injuries and having to figure things out.   At the time of the draft he was considered the D with the best floor.   We are seeing why now.    Back to JV, it's anyone's guess as to how his career goes at this point - Bear was a good player, got hurt, and hasn't seen another chance since after getting a contract which was considered decent at the time.   Not the same path because JV is healthy.   JV is the only thing at this point that will keep JV in the NHL.    He's earned the position of having to prove himself all over.   And that's ok him not coaching.   TG and WD gave him chances.   Way, way more then McEwen, or Motte have had.    He's in their shoes now. 

1 minute ago, FaninMex said:

I agree.

I would like to see the Mac - Sutter - Virt line again. It was generating a lot more chances.

I would also like to see Haw - Beagle - Roussel. That should be a feisty line if Haw comes as advertised.

Mac/Gaudette/Virtanen haven't done enough to solidify a spot hence why they keep getting rotated in. 

Mac/Gaudette/Virtanen/Hawryluk all competing for those bottom 6 spots. There are long term/next year spots available but times ticking for these guys to prove they deserve to be a regular. Podkolzin is coming and then you have guys like Lind and Lockwood in the wings.

Overall it is good depth. More guys we have competing for these spots the higher the chance you find a good fit with one but this is the year for these guys to prove you belong on this Canuck team long-term.

I think Eriksson is staying till Motte's back. Need that extra PK body just in case unless Hawryluk can?? Take Gaudette out for Hawryluk and maybe sub Virtanen for Mac if the Flames game might be nasty.

Virtanen especially needs to produce more positive results. He's making more than twice what Hawryluk/Mac/Gaud are making individually. He's making twice as much than Motte now as well. Virtanen is also gonna cost 3.06M at least with his next contract. If one of the other young guys(Mac/Gaud/Hawryluk) steps up he makes the most sense to move first. That's just the cap world.

Being not bad isn't gonna cut it for these guys. You gotta be better than the rest and nobody has stood out yet.

Who will take advantage of this opportunity?

5 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

He is hanging on trying to pump up Calgary cuz deep down he knows that over the next year or two Canucks will become the far better team.  Man that was fun tonight.

OOOOOO yaaaaaaa.

That's the way we remembered them playing in the playoffs! It was great to see that again. Tanev and Marky are great but its a TEAM game front to back. That was team defense. We can't afford to be one or two individuals out there. They're awake! 

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

No worries - I hope JV can break out like i'm sure almost every fan on this site (and i'm pretty sure a few are not really Canuck fans, like Ron McLean they hide in the weeds and enjoy the losing and can't help but crack smirks which are their tells).... What i was trying to say is at this point it is all on his shoulders.   He's had the chances based on draft position now - and he's had the chances based on a weak roster too.   Those are gone.   For better or worse it's completely on him making the absolute most of his oppurtinities when they come.   I think his salary is for sure fair.   Around 1.75 when we went to the final in 2011.   Nothing wrong with that sort of depth ... but it will all go to Hoglander in two years if he doesn't make it work.   In summatation he's past the excuse and entitled department, and he's also been called out my management (in danger of being passed).... i have no clue what will happen next - but all said, he's likely to pass the bust line before his career is over. 

Fair enough and I appreciate your viewpoint. I see him as a bottom 6 that will get pushed off this team because we are running out of room for him to play. However, I think he has looked good this season. I think a lot of the plays people are calling him out on are no win. 

For example in the overtime, he was in the only one in and the other team (forgot) had their 3 players back. One was playing high and two were low. His linemates were changing behind him so he put it behind the oppositions net and changed. He had very few options because of deployment. 

Today's game, breaking down the wing but there were 4 Flames back. He pulled up and waited. There was not much else available.

The other game in front of the net, John and John got after him. Look at the play and he took the puck on his back hand and before he could bring it to his forehand the TML player was on him. There was nothing he could have done on that play.

14 minutes ago, IBatch said:

McEwen back is a good thing next game for sure.   It's not like he needs to fight Lucic - but we for sure need him in the lineup as a deterrent for the rest of the Flames.   Lucic started his career when things were still rough/tough and the code was how this stuff was managed - and embarrassed himself the first time a fight didn't go his way by a real enforcer (ouch! come help me linesmen this guy is pounding my face please help me now!).   Just had to get that lick in - Lucic you stupid ex Bruin.   Don't buy mirrors they might crack.   That said don't be surprised to see the exact same lineup we had last night...unless a player needs a maintenance day.   

Greener needs to play him more than 4 minutes though. Mac needs to make the most out of whatever time he gets.

I wouldn't be surprised if we have the same lineup. Greener has sit out Mac/Gaud/Jake after a decent games before though. Interchanging Virtanen/Gaud/Mac probably won't have much of a significant effect to the result of the game. All 3 players are playing at a similar level.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Mac/Gaudette/Virtanen haven't done enough to solidify a spot hence why they keep getting rotated in. 

Mac/Gaudette/Virtanen/Hawryluk all competing for those bottom 6 spots. There are long term/next year spots available but times ticking for these guys to prove they deserve to be a regular. Podkolzin is coming and then you have guys like Lind and Lockwood in the wings.

Overall it is good depth. More guys we have competing for these spots the higher the chance you find a good fit with one but this is the year for these guys to prove you belong on this Canuck team long-term.

I think Eriksson is staying till Motte's back. Need that extra PK body just in case unless Hawryluk can?? Take Gaudette out for Hawryluk and maybe sub Virtanen for Mac if the Flames game might be nasty.

Virtanen especially needs to produce more positive results. He's making more than twice what Hawryluk/Mac/Gaud are making individually. He's making twice as much than Motte now as well. Virtanen is also gonna cost 3.06M at least with his next contract. If one of the other young guys(Mac/Gaud/Hawryluk) steps up he makes the most sense to move first. That's just the cap world.

Being not bad isn't gonna cut it for these guys. You gotta be better than the rest and nobody has stood out yet.

Who will take advantage of this opportunity?

Agreed with all of this 100%.

My opinion is Gaudette is the worst of the 4 though I have no idea about Haw.

I think Virt might be a bit better than Mac in the aspect that he goes back and covers for Dmen that drop down. Mac has some nice hands along the boards though which helps him win some of the battles. Both hit while forechecking though Mac might do it a bit more.

I think you are right with Eriksson too. He even threw a hit today. I giggled when I saw it. If Haw is another Motte esc player as some have suggested, He might lose that spot. Again, no idea who Haw is.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, FaninMex said:

Agreed with all of this 100%.

My opinion is Gaudette is the worst of the 4 though I have no idea about Haw.

I think Virt might be a bit better than Mac in the aspect that he goes back and covers for Dmen that drop down. Mac has some nice hands along the boards though which helps him win some of the battles. Both hit while forechecking though Mac might do it a bit more.

I think you are right with Eriksson too. He even threw a hit today. I giggled when I saw it. If Haw is another Motte esc player as some have suggested, He might lose that spot. Again, no idea who Haw is.

Gaudette might have the most room for growth since his weight is holding him back. He has been the worst one out of the 3 and would be the 1st person that should sit.

Mac brings elements we lack more so than Virtanen or Gaud or anyone besides Ferland who's done. That's Mac's advantage. 

Virtanen has good tools and a more rounded game than Mac/Gaud due to experience but he's still trying to piece himself together like Mac/Gaud.

Haven't seen much of Hawryluk but he supposedly hits a lot and is an agitator. Racked up the PIMs in the WHL/AHL. Future, cheaper, younger Roussel replacement?

Overall I just want to see how Hawryluk plays. He was an intriguing signing. Would have like to see Bailey more since I feel he could also compete with these guys for those bottom 6 spots. Bailey seemed like a wild stallion, unrefined but high-energy. Sort of like Gaud but with better physical traits and a little less skilled.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Greener also benched OJ after a goal, and played Chatter - who was ok except one game he was a total disaster.   

For me - what i've noticed - is when the other chatter - the one from the media and the fans started to get really, really loud, the team started to click three games ago, and the ice tilted hard against two of the teams that on paper and before the season started should be beating us most games.   Lol and they did too.   Throughout this entire thing i've been preaching patience - some have taken notice, quite a few also have too, but the majority have been questioning every tiny detail.    Hockey IS a lot about bounces.   Especially these days with vanilla cap equity and all of that.   Maybe we are paying for the Vegas series - we should have been swept - who knows.  

TG has done enough to earn another contract here or somewhere else.  JB for sure has done enough to see this through.   Aquaman is a good owner.   Don't have a clue why anyone would say differently.   Have you forgotten already what it was like to have questionable ones?    Or maybe never gone through that before - "Go Orca entertainment"  thank you Pat Quin for not allowing a name change and for keeping the franchise from moving to the US. 

I think we won't see any changes till the off-season and it may only be coaching if the season doesn't go well. I think JB will get a pass this year.

In terms of the lineup. Anything could happen with these young players. I think OJ has solidified himself as a regular for the time being. We will see when Hamonic gets back.

I don't think I mind the time-off for OJ if Hamonic replaces him since I think OJ makes the most of that time off. OJ came back better when he was inserted back into the lineup again. Probably had more 1 on 1 time in practice. His timing was much better with the puck since he's been back. Remember OJ had some load management last year too. I wouldn't keep him out for long though and Hamonic is gonna have to play good in order to maintain that spot over OJ.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think we won't see any changes till the off-season and it may only be coaching if the season doesn't go well. I think JB will get a pass this year.

In terms of the lineup. Anything could happen with these young players. I think OJ has solidified himself as a regular for the time being. We will see when Hamonic gets back.

I don't think I mind the time-off for OJ if Hamonic replaces him since I think OJ makes the most of that time off. OJ came back better when he was inserted back into the lineup again. Probably had more 1 on 1 time in practice. His timing was much better with the puck since he's been back. Remember OJ had some load management last year too. I wouldn't keep him out for long though and Hamonic is gonna have to play good in order to maintain that spot over OJ.

Hamonic was having a very slow start to the season when he got hurt so it will be very interesting. Benn and Hughes have been having some chemistry. I know hamonic has much more to give than what we were seeing as the whole team was off

Regarding OJ, I really liked that hit he threw on Thachuk (no idea how to spell his name). OJ has been showing improvement but as you said it is likely that he will sit.

Just now, FaninMex said:

Hamonic was having a very slow start to the season when he got hurt so it will be very interesting. Benn and Hughes have been having some chemistry. I know hamonic has much more to give than what we were seeing as the whole team was off

Regarding OJ, I really liked that hit he threw on Thachuk (no idea how to spell his name). OJ has been showing improvement but as you said it is likely that he will sit.

Benn has been good but he's watered down a bit. He hasn't been making those great plays he was before when he was first inserted in. I don't think he's a good fit for Hughes long-term since they've still had their struggles defensively.

I reckon Hamonic would benefit from a lot of practice time. He did go into the season pretty dry and without playing for a while.

Hughes needs a guy who's poise defensively and isn't gonna make a lot of mistakes with the puck since a Hughes pairing is gonna see the offensive zone a lot more than the defensive. I would say OJ but that's too much to ask for in a rookie and one of them would have to play their off-side. Perhaps that's something you can consider 1-2 years from now when both OJ/Hughes has established themselves more so than now. We should probably look to FA for Hughes if we can clear some cap. Montour/Martinez/Hamilton would all be good partners for Hughes.

• Cheers 1