The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Calgary Lames | February 13, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | NHN, CBC, SN

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, Dogcrazy said:

Lucic is not a fake tough guy, he is legit. 

Unless he has to fight a real enforcer.   Then he's the first guy to call the linesmen in as soon it's not going his way....

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Yea, you're in good company because the majority of folks on here have come to the same conclusion on Lazy Jake that he's a floater and has no fire burning in his belly.   Best thing for him is to get outta town as I'm afraid he's washed-up around here.   Too bad because we all hoped we'd see better from him.  Sad situation really!

There was one instance in the 3rd where he got a nice pass full speed in the offensive zone and just waited for support rather than just driving to the net. Jake isn't assertive enough to make things happen. On the other hand, Hoglander had a nice rush in the 3rd, just blew by the dman through the boards. It didn't lead to a goal, but it lead to some pressure on the Calgary end, but the point is, one guy wants to make a difference (Hogs), the other one doesn't

• Like 2
1 hour ago, D-Money said:

I know he just had a great game and all, but the team should expose Myers. He’s the only less-than-desirable contract the team has that extends past next season.

He had a good game tonight, but we'd be doing cartwheels if Myers gets taken in the ED. 6 million per is a massive price tag for a very low end top 4 d-man

4 hours ago, iceman64 said:

while it lasts and then the knife goes in the back AGAIN.... Remember our team had Almo and Bure, Bure went down and Almo carried the team on his back until he finally wore down and then it was "Mogilny" sucks.. THAT, was f'n lame! 

Good ol Almo, the enigma. For 55 minutes he'd do absolutely nothing and for the last 5 , he looks like he belonged with the very best, Forsberg, Jagr etc. When Almo turned it up, the guy was a machine

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

All the trolls go back under the bridge - on the way a poke or two.   Got to give it to Aquaman, way to shut things up.   Defending this team throughout the losing streak became tiresome - was called a troll by one poster for doing just that which made me think about using the ignore button for the second time (used it once, took it off after a week or so)...."TG this, TG that, JB this, JB that" has been a little much.    Darius, thank you again for post of the year so far IMO, by shedding some light and wisdom onto this site in comparing it to Bob M, early 90 era Canucks - see a lot of similarities too.  

And a shout out to quite a few posters that also seem to get that not signing any of these guys gave us hope to contend later.    Same guys... not going to work, hasn't so far right?  Pretty simple even without regression or injuries or 75ish million in committed money over 4-6 years (and clauses). 

Patience is a virtue for a reason, yes it sucks losing.   The past three games we were the better team.   Going 1-2 isn't the average, but for sure it will even out. The team knows that a consistent effort like that over the long haul we are a team that other ones won't consider "fun to play against".    

Nice to win, and not lose when we didn't deserve too as well.   Team needed to learn how to win without Markstrom,  looks like CAL ... well haven't they looked a lot like the Canucks when we weren't on last year but got bailed out? 

So very true on this one.  

Trolls who do not know much about the game still calling out Jake. He has had a good year so far. 

Complainers have got to complain though. 

• Hydration 1
24 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

There was one instance in the 3rd where he got a nice pass full speed in the offensive zone and just waited for support rather than just driving to the net. Jake isn't assertive enough to make things happen. On the other hand, Hoglander had a nice rush in the 3rd, just blew by the dman through the boards. It didn't lead to a goal, but it lead to some pressure on the Calgary end, but the point is, one guy wants to make a difference (Hogs), the other one doesn't

If I remember the play, he was on the wing closest to the camera and pulled up because there were 4 flames back. You and your buddies only see bad in all his plays. Garbage. Call out the other players too. Gaudette has looked like trash yet he gets praise here.

2 hours ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Jake did worse than that. Like  throwing the puck away into the corner when he had passing options or giving up on a puck battle as soon as he was under pressure and just skated away.  I've been an ardent JV supporter from day 1 but I think I've finally seen enough. The team isn't any better with him on the ice, its time for him to go.

It's tough to get to this point.  The fourth line did have quite a few chances last night, but also seems to have quite a few chances with Motte too.   Beagle is a warrior but his hands aren't quite there and haven't been for years really - nothing wrong with that though it's not why he's on the fourth line, it's for PK and get the puck the heck out of our zone.   JV had one very good shift in the first period...and a terrible one too - had the chance twice to get the puck out and it was like a hot potato.   Sometimes i'm not sure if he's so worried to make the wrong play it affects his game, others i wonder if he still thinks he's playing junior hockey, and others he shows flashes of why we picked him.   Overall i'd take Motte every time over JV.   

Energy is contagious.   Wonder how Mottes stats would look like with the same chances.   No idea, but i'm sure he'd have made the best of them every single time.   Hoglander steeling JVs spot says it all right there. 

• Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

He had a good game tonight, but we'd be doing cartwheels if Myers gets taken in the ED. 6 million per is a massive price tag for a very low end top 4 d-man

And people thought Tanev's Calgary contract is an over payment. 

Also, I could be mistaken, but my understanding is that there weren't really any other teams aggressively pursuing Myers. If so that would make his contract and even bigger overpayment

I'm not saying Myers shouldn't have been signed but this is just another classic example of Jim Benning over paying in Free Agency.

Edited by iinatcc
  • Haha 1

If Hawryluk is good to go we need to get him in and see how he does.

One of Gaud/Virtanen/Eriksson can sit. 

Might want to get Mac in as we lack an intimidating presence and I expect next game to be feisty.

• Vintage 1
19 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

So very true on this one.  

Trolls who do not know much about the game still calling out Jake. He has had a good year so far. 

Complainers have got to complain though. 

Damn.  And while you posted this look what i just did.  Shame.   I'm going to turn my phone off now.   Ha ha.  Seriously though, JV lost his spot to Hoglander.   I'm not sure what he will do to claw his way back into the top six...but like JB said when he signed him it's 100% up to him at this point, or he will be passed by.   Still like JV and of course hope he makes it - but he's running out of chances.    I'm in his corner still.  OJs too, someone said he's like found money - not to me - most Ds take time, his path wasn't easy given his aversion to the gym (at the start), injuries and having to figure things out.   At the time of the draft he was considered the D with the best floor.   We are seeing why now.    Back to JV, it's anyone's guess as to how his career goes at this point - Bear was a good player, got hurt, and hasn't seen another chance since after getting a contract which was considered decent at the time.   Not the same path because JV is healthy.   JV is the only thing at this point that will keep JV in the NHL.    He's earned the position of having to prove himself all over.   And that's on him, not coaching.   TG and WD gave him chances.   Way, way more then McEwen, or Motte have had.    He's in their shoes now. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, aznmonk said:

Jake misses his pregame warmup at the rox.  Jake ain't no cam neely, neely only had 3 seasons with the Canucks before he was traded Jake has 6 years and still no improvements. If he plays as hard as Motte I'm supper happy 4th round pick. Should of qualify Jake at 1m per year.  Show me deal 

Jake needs to leave sick and tired of him floating around

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Might want to get Mac in as we lack an intimidating presence and I expect next game to be feisty.

I agree.

I would like to see the Mac - Sutter - Virt line again. It was generating a lot more chances.

I would also like to see Haw - Beagle - Roussel. That should be a feisty line if Haw comes as advertised.

• Hydration 1
2 hours ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Jake did worse than that. Like  throwing the puck away into the corner when he had passing options or giving up on a puck battle as soon as he was under pressure and just skated away.  I've been an ardent JV supporter from day 1 but I think I've finally seen enough. The team isn't any better with him on the ice, its time for him to go.

His hockey iq is horrible, just throws the puck away or does that wrist shot into goalies pad

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

McEwen back is a good thing next game for sure.   It's not like he needs to fight Lucic - but we for sure need him in the lineup as a deterrent for the rest of the Flames.   Lucic started his career when things were still rough/tough and the code was how this stuff was managed - and embarrassed himself the first time a fight didn't go his way by a real enforcer (ouch! come help me linesmen this guy is pounding my face please help me now!).   Just had to get that lick in - Lucic you stupid ex Bruin.   Don't buy mirrors they might crack.   That said don't be surprised to see the exact same lineup we had last night...unless a player needs a maintenance day.   

5 minutes ago, PositionOfPower said:

His hockey iq is horrible, just throws the puck away or does that wrist shot into goalies pad

You obviously do not watch the game or judge the game on a play that you did not see well.

Just now, FaninMex said:

I agree with many here that he has not proven that he is a top 6 like we all wanted him to be.

I agree that he lost his spot to Hoglander.

I agree that he may lose his spot to Podkolzin when he arrives.

I do not agree that JV is as terrible as people are saying. For example, Sutter score his hattrick with JV on his line because JV was doing his job. The team was not losing because he was in the line up.

I do not agree that JV should get craped on while Gaudette gets a free pass.

I do not agree that JV is always compared to Motte or Hoglander as there are very few on this team that play like them. It is an unfair comparison and if he is compared to them then everyone must be,

No worries - I hope JV can break out like i'm sure almost every fan on this site (and i'm pretty sure a few are not really Canuck fans, like Ron McLean they hide in the weeds and enjoy the losing and can't help but crack smirks which are their tells).... What i was trying to say is at this point it is all on his shoulders.   He's had the chances based on draft position now - and he's had the chances based on a weak roster too.   Those are gone.   For better or worse it's completely on him making the absolute most of his oppurtinities when they come.   I think his salary is for sure fair.   Around 1.75 when we went to the final in 2011.   Nothing wrong with that sort of depth ... but it will all go to Hoglander in two years if he doesn't make it work.   In summatation he's past the excuse and entitled department, and he's also been called out my management (in danger of being passed).... i have no clue what will happen next - but all said, he's likely to pass the bust line before his career is over. 

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Damn.  And while you posted this look what i just did.  Shame.   I'm going to turn my phone off now.   Ha ha.  Seriously though, JV lost his spot to Hoglander.   I'm not sure what he will do to claw his way back into the top six...but like JB said when he signed him it's 100% up to him at this point, or he will be passed by.   Still like JV and of course hope he makes it - but he's running out of chances.    I'm in his corner still.  OJs too, someone said he's like found money - not to me - most Ds take time, his path wasn't easy given his aversion to the gym (at the start), injuries and having to figure things out.   At the time of the draft he was considered the D with the best floor.   We are seeing why now.    Back to JV, it's anyone's guess as to how his career goes at this point - Bear was a good player, got hurt, and hasn't seen another chance since after getting a contract which was considered decent at the time.   Not the same path because JV is healthy.   JV is the only thing at this point that will keep JV in the NHL.    He's earned the position of having to prove himself all over.   And that's ok him not coaching.   TG and WD gave him chances.   Way, way more then McEwen, or Motte have had.    He's in their shoes now. 

1 minute ago, FaninMex said:

I agree.

I would like to see the Mac - Sutter - Virt line again. It was generating a lot more chances.

I would also like to see Haw - Beagle - Roussel. That should be a feisty line if Haw comes as advertised.

Mac/Gaudette/Virtanen haven't done enough to solidify a spot hence why they keep getting rotated in. 

Mac/Gaudette/Virtanen/Hawryluk all competing for those bottom 6 spots. There are long term/next year spots available but times ticking for these guys to prove they deserve to be a regular. Podkolzin is coming and then you have guys like Lind and Lockwood in the wings.

Overall it is good depth. More guys we have competing for these spots the higher the chance you find a good fit with one but this is the year for these guys to prove you belong on this Canuck team long-term.

I think Eriksson is staying till Motte's back. Need that extra PK body just in case unless Hawryluk can?? Take Gaudette out for Hawryluk and maybe sub Virtanen for Mac if the Flames game might be nasty.

Virtanen especially needs to produce more positive results. He's making more than twice what Hawryluk/Mac/Gaud are making individually. He's making twice as much than Motte now as well. Virtanen is also gonna cost 3.06M at least with his next contract. If one of the other young guys(Mac/Gaud/Hawryluk) steps up he makes the most sense to move first. That's just the cap world.

Being not bad isn't gonna cut it for these guys. You gotta be better than the rest and nobody has stood out yet.

Who will take advantage of this opportunity?