The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Calgary Lames | February 13, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | NHN, CBC, SN

Rate this topic

-SN-

7 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Firing Jim isn't my preference. Seems to be a lot of discussion about him removal tho according to sources close to aqua.

7 hours ago, Maginator said:

Can you post the sources?

6 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I read it on an article claiming 2 sources. I dont know the sources off hand or do I remember the article.

It’s from a blog called the Fourth Period, and they don’t name the “sources,” but apparently Irfaan Gaffar contributed to the article.

I wouldn’t call it a reliable source of information. More like speculative click bait. But here it is if you’re interested. 

FEBRUARY 12, 2021 | 5:20PM ET
BY DAVID PAGNOTTA, THE FOURTH PERIOD

CANUCKS CONTEMPLATING GM CHANGE?

TORONTO, ON — The Vancouver Canucks lost their sixth consecutive game on Thursday night and frustration may be starting to boil over atop the organization.

Despite ongoing speculation over the club’s engagement in the trade market with the likes of Jake Virtanen, Brandon Sutter and Adam Gaudette among those floating around the rumour mill, a different change may be on the horizon if the Canucks don’t start winning now.

The Canucks currently sit sixth in the North Division with a 6-11-0 record, putting them 24th in the NHL. However, the team has also played more games than any other team in the league and their current point percentage puts them ahead of only the Detroit Red Wings and Ottawa Senators.

According to two separate sources, Canucks ownership is beyond frustrated with the team’s start and is considering a change at the General Manager position. If the team can’t right the ship and if this series against the Flames does not go well, I believe we could see the end of Jim Benning’s tenure in Vancouver.

Benning, who is signed through the 2022-23 season, is in his seventh season as Canucks GM after taking over for Mike Gillis on May 23, 2014. If he’s let go, his contract remains on the books. In this economic environment, that is not an easy pill to swallow, but the price might have to be paid.

It is unclear if Canucks ownership, led by team Chairman Francesco Aquilini, has sought out a possible replacement for Benning, but it is starting to sound like that process has begun and exploratory calls are being made.

Earlier this week, the Pittsburgh Penguins named Ron Hextall their new GM, taking over for Jim Rutherford, who resigned last month, and Brian Burke as President of Hockey Operations.

If the Canucks do go down this road, I’d have to imagine some of the candidates in the running for the Penguins gig would be under some sort of consideration for any vacancy in Vancouver. The list of potential candidates could include former Los Angeles Kings AGM Mike Futa, current Colorado Avalanche AGM Chris MacFarland and former Toronto Maple Leafs AGM Mark Hunter, among others.

I would also add former Canucks goalie and current Special Advisor to the GM in Florida Roberto Luongo and former Kings GM Dean Lombardi into the mix, as well.

Luongo, who still has a cap hit of just over $3 million this season and next for the Canucks, is certainly a curious name for a variety of reasons. Aside from fully understanding the Vancouver market, he’s ascending at a solid rate in the management world and was recently named one of the Assistant GMs for Team Canada’s Winter Olympic team.

There are some whispers ownership has interest in talking to him, but as far as I know, that’s all they are right now.

The Canucks play the second of four straight games against the Flames on Saturday night. Another loss could break the camel’s back.

TFP’s Lead Reporter Irfaan Gaffar contributed to this report.

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/pagnotta/canucks-contemplating-gm-change

• Upvote 1

I do not understand why Green slips through all this mess unscathed 

JB made mistakes but Green still has plenty to work with and this team still is not performing for has it performed under his tenure

I do understand that any new experienced gm will immediately show Green the door....not extend him 

52 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

I do not understand why Green slips through all this mess unscathed 

JB made mistakes but Green still has plenty to work with and this team still is not performing for has it performed under his tenure

I do understand that any new experienced gm will immediately show Green the door....not extend him 

Green is too passive. We give up the blue way to easy. Once the opposition gains the blue we go into automatic boxing out opposition to the outside. I get this system but why so automatic? Like robots. The team is to passive, get mad once in awhile ffs. The PP is too passive, try moving around fellas. I'm done with Green and the whole staff to be honest. Bring in a veteran coach who has some old time hockey in him. And make sure the new coach has enough moxy to tell the GM to get more players who play like they have a cactus in their jock. 

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 1

The team has been in a slump for weeks. Surely it's not nearly enough just to fire the coach and GM; time to gut the team too, trading everybody for draft picks so we can finally have a "proper" rebuild.

Even though they have clearly peaked and are in decline, we might be able to get decent prices for Petey, Huggy, Bo, Brock, etc, if we act fast before the rest of the league realizes what we clever armchair GMs know, that they are all worthless.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

The team has been in a slump for weeks. Surely it's not nearly enough just to fire the coach and GM; time to gut the team too, trading everybody for draft picks so we can finally have a "proper" rebuild.

Even though they have clearly peaked and are in decline, we might be able to get decent prices for Petey, Huggy, Bo, Brock, etc, if we act fast before the rest of the league realizes what we clever armchair GMs know, that they are all worthless.

Now you're start to sound like a Toronto fan. They kept botching their rebuild and ruining goalies because didn't have a patience to use the draft and fix their D. I'd rather take the high pick this year and give new coaching staff a taste of the the team near the end of the season so the summer can be about the missing pieces. to me, next year is the make or break year for the GM in terms of whether the core has enough potential.

6 minutes ago, NHTyrany said:

Now you're start to sound like a Toronto fan. They kept botching their rebuild and ruining goalies because didn't have a patience to use the draft and fix their D. I'd rather take the high pick this year and give new coaching staff a taste of the the team near the end of the season so the summer can be about the missing pieces. to me, next year is the make or break year for the GM in terms of whether the core has enough potential.

I didn't realize that Toronto allowed the fans to run the team. That explains a few things, and would be really popular here, where there is so much expertise on CDC that allowing the fans to run the team would guarantee an endless string of Cups.

19 minutes ago, rekker said:

Green is too passive. We give up the blue way to easy. Once the opposition gains the blue we go into automatic boxing out opposition to the outside. I get this system but why so automatic? Like robots. The team is to passive, get mad once in awhile ffs. The PP is too passive, try moving around fellas. I'm done with Green and the whole staff to be honest. Bring in a veteran coach who has some old time hockey in him. And make sure the new coach has enough moxy to tell the GM to get more players who play like they have a cactus in their jock. 

Its kind of sad that JB is going to be turfed soon and really his biggest mistake was the coaching over his tenure. Head and assistant coaches 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, WeneedLumme said:

I didn't realize that Toronto allowed the fans to run the team. That explains a few things, and would be really popular here, where there is so much expertise on CDC that allowing the fans to run the team would guarantee an endless string of Cups.

And the “real” management and coaches have done such a fine job securing the many Canuck Cups over the years ..... wait. 

8 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Its kind of sad that JB is going to be turfed soon and really his biggest mistake was the coaching over his tenure. Head and assistant coaches 

JB's drafting record and term left on his deal will probably save him. I liked the Green hire at first. Young, progressive coach. His style sucks though and his assistants too. So, so, done with passive hockey on this team.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just read an article from the Province - open letter to Aquilini from  some fans - calling mainly for JB's head to roll. 

Like some others on here I really don't see that as helping the present situation.

However I will agree that the team needs to get this turned around

I don't have the answers - not to sure that there are any  other then giving the players a chance to see if they can turn it around.

• Cheers 2