The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Calgary Lames | February 13, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | NHN, CBC, SN

Rate this topic

-SN-

4 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Image result for vomit

Luongo simply doesn't convey smartness at all for me. Good goalie yes, but he never seemed to read the game well. You ever see this guy try to play the puck behind his net? What a gaffer. I've never heard of anything insightful hockey wise from him. He's more of a comedian than anything. He is an assistant Gm for team Canada but I think that's just for public and player relations more than anything else.

Plus that Italian Canadian spaghetti boy doesn't even realize he royally screwed us while he got rich and didn't live up to his word. NO THANKS!

Have a great life on twitter you goof! lol 

I should say I really like Luongo as a person, however hockey insight and figuring out where your loyalty lies is not a strong suit of his.

Your post doesn't convey smartness at all for me. You're entitled to your opinion about Lu of course. Here's mine.

- Take the time to find out Luongo's place in history... with Vancouver and Florida, and in the NHL. He holds most of the goaltending records in both cities. He played the second most games (1044) in league history, has the third most wins (489) all-time, and is tied for 6th in save % with an amazing .919. He's likely headed for the hall of fame. So yeah, apparently he CAN read the game well. And you're judging him on his play behind the net? What a gaffer. He was more than a 'good goalie'. He was elite... and certainly has my respect for what he did for hockey in Vancouver.

- Just because you 'haven't heard anything insightful hockey wise from him' doesn't mean he doesn't have the insight. Have you heard or watched all of his media appearances? He was hired as a special adviser to the Panther's GM. And he's an assistant GM for Team Canada putting together the roster for 2022. I would say having represented Canada multiple times in his career, he does have valuable personal insights and perspectives to contribute. It's more than just 'public relations'.

- That racial/ethnic trope is no less offensive than if it was 'rice boy' or 'sushi boy'. And imagine the reaction that would bring.

- He can't be faulted for signing a 12 year $64mil contract that was offered to him (a ploy to lower the annual cap hit). How did he not live up to his word? It was Tortorella who disrespected him and pushed him away from the team in favour of Lack (by the way, where is he now?). Lu was as loyal as he was given a chance to be.

- I like his wit and self-deprecating humour on twitter.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Bo fan said:

Just read an article from the Province - open letter to Aquilini from  some fans - calling mainly for JB's head to roll. 

Like some others on here I really don't see that as helping the present situation.

However I will agree that the team needs to get this turned around

I don't have the answers - not to sure that there are any  other then giving the players a chance to see if they can turn it around.

If jb is let go, and green, brown, baumgartner are left intact, then I’m done.    Those 3 should be fired and I truly believe JB won’t have the balls to do it, that is why I firmly believe all 4 will be fired.   

2 minutes ago, Odd. said:

If I'm being honest, I'd rather have Green and his coaching staff fired before Benning. 

if we're looking for a St. Louis style defibrillator coaching change, then that might make sense. Problem is, how do you hire a new coach in a covid bubble? theres no one better than Green in our system either now that Manny is gone.

I think a new GM would also want to be able to pick his coach. You can also hire a new GM or president right now, like with Burkie.  

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

imo Aqulini hiring in a new president of hockey op's makes the most sense. It sends a message, and gives him flexibility to make management changes down the road if necessary. I just don't see what canning Jim today is going to do to improve the on ice team this year. And we can't really change the coach in a way that will matter in time to save the season (assuming thats how it could be saved vs working it out). We have what we have and I really only see adding to the management team as an immediate viable option. 

adding to the management team as an immediate viable option and subtracting from the management team once the season has finished, then I am with you.

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

imo Aqulini hiring in a new president of hockey op's makes the most sense. It sends a message, and gives him flexibility to make management changes down the road if necessary. I just don't see what canning Jim today is going to do to improve the on ice team this year. And we can't really change the coach in a way that will matter in time to save the season (assuming thats how it could be saved vs working it out). We have what we have and I really only see adding to the management team as an immediate viable option. 

I agree with your take with the exception of the assistant coaches, particularly Baumer. Maybe I’m guilty of overrating our defence but I think with our talent should be playing much better. Seems very much like a systems issue that we are aren’t doing anything to change.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bo fan said:

Just read an article from the Province - open letter to Aquilini from  some fans - calling mainly for JB's head to roll. 

Like some others on here I really don't see that as helping the present situation.

However I will agree that the team needs to get this turned around

I don't have the answers - not to sure that there are any  other then giving the players a chance to see if they can turn it around.

For a mid season move changing out the gm is not going to change the trajectory 

You have a lame duck coach that won’t be here anyway so push that button now

that is the only move that can impact results now 

52 minutes ago, yes we can nucks said:

Your post doesn't convey smartness at all for me. You're entitled to your opinion about Lu of course. Here's mine.

- Take the time to find out Luongo's place in history... with Vancouver and Florida, and in the NHL. He holds most of the goaltending records in both cities. He played the second most games (1044) in league history, has the third most wins (489) all-time, and is tied for 6th in save % with an amazing .919. He's likely headed for the hall of fame. So yeah, apparently he CAN read the game well. And you're judging him on his play behind the net? What a gaffer. He was more than a 'good goalie'. He was elite... and certainly has my respect for what he did for hockey in Vancouver.

- Just because you 'haven't heard anything insightful hockey wise from him' doesn't mean he doesn't have the insight. Have you heard or watched all of his media appearances? He was hired as a special adviser to the Panther's GM. And he's an assistant GM for Team Canada putting together the roster for 2022. I would say having represented Canada multiple times in his career, he does have valuable personal insights and perspectives to contribute. It's more than just 'public relations'.

- That racial/ethnic trope is no less offensive than if it was 'rice boy' or 'sushi boy'. And imagine the reaction that would bring.

- He can't be faulted for signing a 12 year $64mil contract that was offered to him (a ploy to lower the annual cap hit). How did he not live up to his word? It was Tortorella who disrespected him and pushed him away from the team in favour of Lack (by the way, where is he now?). Lu was as loyal as he was given a chance to be.

- I like his wit and self-deprecating humour on twitter.

Good post.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

The most sense but the least likely to happen imo.

I think Aquaman will more just force Jim to get rid of Green. Short season and short cash flows y’know

1 hour ago, flat land fish said:

Firing the gm and front office during a short season where we may end up with a top 10 pick would be asinine.  Drafting is harder than ever given reduced player exposure and if there is any area the existing team is strong at is drafting.  Bringing in the next gm now could impact our 2021 draft in a negative way which isn’t worth the risk.  For everyone out there flouting jb has had 7 years we also need to account that the first 4 years were the sedins sunset and the organization wasn’t running a full rebuild while they were here.  Only way JB is let go this year is if he refuses to move on from Green

You don’t hand out contracts to over the 30 year olds like Loui E. if you’re in a rebuild.  His cap hit is equal to one of the Sedins.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan