The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MacEwen's Mom: "Kinda hard to be a difference maker when you only get to play under 4 minutes..."

Rate this topic

Dazzle

On 2/22/2021 at 10:06 AM, Canucksince99 said:

Greens game management is terrible. How can you bench a line that is playing so good. I’d understand if they were like -2 each or just playing terribly in general. Like cmon give these guys a chance to get some confidence. Every time they’re playing good he continues to staple them to the bench. I’m not surprised his mom spoke out lol she’s keeping it real 

Maybe Green saves it for the play off

Personally, I think this is just a symptom of a far greater issue with this team. 

I believe this all started with the transition from the Sedins era, and from naming our Captain prematurely. 

The same issues that have plagued this team for years continue to this day, not playing a full 60 minutes, not always finishing your checks, "reacting" instead of "initiating" aggressive play etc. Typically, bottom 6 players excel in the above mentioned.

Mac had a fight and his whole line was basically benched for the rest of the game. Jake for years has been benched for aggressive play. We all know he has been in Green's "Doghouse" for years now. People say its because of his "lazy" play but I see a player who is just plain tired of being in the "doghouse" and simply doesn't care anymore. Its sad because I think he could have been a great player for us. 

I have seen numerous players who have been aggressive players in the past, come here and become a shell of themselves. Rouss and Mac lately are apart of that. Jake, Edler and Miller are simply looked upon for their offensive ability and Green doesn't want any aggression in their games. I know its not spelled out but watching this team for years you see what they are trying to do. 

If you look at ice time, much of the time goes to our smaller, skilled players. I joked that Hughes doesn't even need a spot on the bench as he is on the ice more then not. Petey has struggled most of the season but gets the same amount of ice time. Boeser struggled at times last year but didn't see any less ice. Correction, he was relegated to the third line for a couple of games, LOL.

The #1 PP literally plays for the entire 2 minutes. 

The last couple of games we were leading, you would expect the checkers play regular minutes to "protect" a lead. What does Green do?, play the smaller , skilled players even more and the result is we let the opposition back in the game and eventually lose. 

Bo, unfortunately, is a mirror image of Hank and therefore our "identity" is basically the Sedins 2.0. 

I was hoping for a Linden 2.0 or something similar or something resembling a Captain who has a few Stanley Cups under their belt. 

Other CDCers are looking for blame with where we are and I think it is all about the leaders, the Coach and the Captain. 

This team needs an identity and not another version of the Sedin era or the Nazzy era please, I would like to see us win a Cup one day. 

• Vintage 1

21 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Personally, I think this is just a symptom of a far greater issue with this team. 

I believe this all started with the transition from the Sedins era, and from naming our Captain prematurely. 

The same issues that have plagued this team for years continue to this day, not playing a full 60 minutes, not always finishing your checks, "reacting" instead of "initiating" aggressive play etc. Typically, bottom 6 players excel in the above mentioned.

Mac had a fight and his whole line was basically benched for the rest of the game. Jake for years has been benched for aggressive play. We all know he has been in Green's "Doghouse" for years now. People say its because of his "lazy" play but I see a player who is just plain tired of being in the "doghouse" and simply doesn't care anymore. Its sad because I think he could have been a great player for us. 

I have seen numerous players who have been aggressive players in the past, come here and become a shell of themselves. Rouss and Mac lately are apart of that. Jake, Edler and Miller are simply looked upon for their offensive ability and Green doesn't want any aggression in their games. I know its not spelled out but watching this team for years you see what they are trying to do. 

If you look at ice time, much of the time goes to our smaller, skilled players. I joked that Hughes doesn't even need a spot on the bench as he is on the ice more then not. Petey has struggled most of the season but gets the same amount of ice time. Boeser struggled at times last year but didn't see any less ice. Correction, he was relegated to the third line for a couple of games, LOL.

The last couple of games we were leading, you would expect the checkers play regular minutes to "protect" a lead. What does Green do?, play the smaller , skilled players even more and the result is we let the opposition back in the game and eventually lose. 

Bo, unfortunately, is a mirror image of Hank and therefore our "identity" is basically the Sedins 2.0. 

I was hoping for a Linden 2.0 or something similar or something resembling a Captain who has a few Stanley Cups under their belt. 

Other CDCers are looking for blame with where we are and I think it is all about the leaders, the Coach and the Captain. 

This team needs an identity and not another version of the Sedin era or the Nazzy era please, I would like to see us win a Cup one day. 

The mentality that this team must be a fast skilled team means they don't want a scrappy controversial team. I believe the powers that be have tried to make the team this way since the riot of 2011 . Of course we are not to say that there is a league conspiracy against the Canucks. It has now been over 50 yrs without a cup. New York complained about not having won one for 40 yrs back in 1994 . That also was when there was a riot in Vancouver.

50 minutes ago, snucks said:

The mentality that this team must be a fast skilled team means they don't want a scrappy controversial team. I believe the powers that be have tried to make the team this way since the riot of 2011 . Of course we are not to say that there is a league conspiracy against the Canucks. It has now been over 50 yrs without a cup. New York complained about not having won one for 40 yrs back in 1994 . That also was when there was a riot in Vancouver.

I am OK with the team being "a fast skilled" team but does that mean we are a "one dimensional" style of team who cannot adapt to the environment? 

Look at TB who I think is the above mentioned  "fast skilled team" but still plays with aggression and their fast skilled players do not back down when confronted. They hit and initiate contact and are not just reactive. This is essential in the playoffs.

Our stars fall under the "Gentlemanly" type as is our Captain. The same team since the Sedin years as well as the Nazzy years. 

I sure miss the days when our Captain carried the team on his back and more so when he does it in the playoffs. I sure miss the days when our players needed no one to assist them when the play got rough and needed no one to come to their aide.

Edited by EdgarM

23 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Agreed, didn’t want Horvat as captain as he is super soft. Guys an absolute bull and can’t even throw a hit. Every tough or aggressive player that’s come here turns soft. Guddy, Prust, Schaller, Roussell, etc. Crazy how Virtanen went from one of the most feared jr players and being one of the best hitters I’ve seen even when he first got into pro hockey, and now he won’t even throw a decent hit. Probably too scared Hank, I mean Horvat is gonna yell at him again. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

Agreed, didn’t want Horvat as captain as he is super soft. Guys an absolute bull and can’t even throw a hit. Every tough or aggressive player that’s come here turns soft. Guddy, Prust, Schaller, Roussell, etc. Crazy how Virtanen went from one of the most feared jr players and being one of the best hitters I’ve seen even when he first got into pro hockey, and now he won’t even throw a decent hit. Probably too scared Hank, I mean Horvat is gonna yell at him again. 

I thought things were changing when Bo got into a fight but that seems so long ago now. Some things are for certain with this team and will continue with this leadership. Our stars are going to get "picked on" , we will hardly ever play a full 60 minutes, hitting and aggressive play is optional and Green will sit those who try to intimidate the opposition.