The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Hurricanes trade Ryan Dzingel to Senators for Alex Galchenyuk, Cedric Paquette

1 hour ago, HC20.0 said:

Griffin Reinhart went 4th too. Morgan Reilly is the only player saving the top 5.

So Burke was kind of right. He thought that Reilly was the best player in that draft.

I'm thinking Burke might have been a good hire as president of hockey operations for the Canucks. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, khay said:

So Burke was kind of right. He thought that Reilly was the best player in that draft.

I'm thinking Burke might have been a good hire as president of hockey operations for the Canucks. 

Rielly is an absolute pylon in his own zone; he's a complete liability out there and really should be put in the press box until he learns how to play acceptable defense.  He's not even a legit NHLer.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Rielly is an absolute pylon in his own zone; he's a complete liability out there and really should be put in the press box until he learns how to play acceptable defense.  He's not even a legit NHLer.

He's also voted 5th for Norris 2 seasons ago. I'm sure he's  legit top D-man with those credentials 

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

He's also voted 5th for Norris 2 seasons ago. I'm sure he's  legit top D-man with those credentials 

He also got a ton of points that year from being on their PP.  He'd probably be a pretty decent winger, but his refusal to attempt to learn how to not handicap his team by playing like a beer leaguer isn't acceptable..  I've seen too much of his play and he is absolute trash defensively.  We have guys on the Comets who are upgrades over Rielly.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

As per Elliotte Friedman in his 31 Thoughts:

24. Your first trade is a shock, and some players get over it quicker than others. Cedric Paquette wasn’t himself in Ottawa. He didn’t have the edge, the nastiness we saw in Tampa Bay. His first game with Carolina was more what we expect. I could see the Senators, trying to build a young core, feeling they had to make the move.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/31-thoughts-tavares-gagner-blazing-trail-minor-hockey-involvement/

5 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

As per Elliotte Friedman in his 31 Thoughts:

24. Your first trade is a shock, and some players get over it quicker than others. Cedric Paquette wasn’t himself in Ottawa. He didn’t have the edge, the nastiness we saw in Tampa Bay. His first game with Carolina was more what we expect. I could see the Senators, trying to build a young core, feeling they had to make the move.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/31-thoughts-tavares-gagner-blazing-trail-minor-hockey-involvement/

9 games is enough to conclude that he wasn't himself there?  

There are a lot of players who "are not themselves" early this season.

Had 27 hits in those 9 games (10 minutes a game) - which translates into a 240 hit season - which would be the 2nd best of his career.

Did he really lack edge and nastiness and need to be removed from the group as if a bad influence?

Why the shade?  Again, sounds like Friedman trying too hard to create an angle.

Perhaps Carolina simply wanted the player - values the depth addition (whereas Ottawa isn't as concerned about short term results?)

Ottawa also has a number of centers - Stepan, Tierney, Norris, White, Paul...all who were playing that role with more frequency than Paquette....

And/or perhaps Ottawa simply wanted Dzingel back.

Edited by oldnews
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1