The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks fans pen open letters to team owner Francesco Aquilini

Rate this topic

nux4lyfe

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

I don't know any of these posters but a lot of fans are not side line cheer leaders but put great wads of money down every season ( but this one) and have been patient for decades. When is it going to stop. JB has been here for almost 7 years and it's being suggested that once again we need to be patient, when is enough a enough.

When is what going to stop? Be more specific. You can point at Benning's tenure and blame him for certain things that have happened across it, but individuals who've been putting down money to buy tickets, ect were not and never will be guaranteed a return on those investments. That's just part of being a sports fan. Putting in decades of fandom is a choice that may or may not have some sort of tangible payout.  

You can punt out Benning, clear out the coaching staff, bring someone else in and there's still no guarantee things will "get better". And even if they do, runs of sustained success in sports tend to be the anomaly not the norm. There are plenty of sports fans who've spent their entire lives hoping their team would win it all/contend who've never gotten to witness that, and there will be plenty more. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

52 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Whether these are from people who post here (unlikely, since they vent by posting here) or not, this is still cringe of the highest order.

Armchair GM's sending their suggestions, dreams, and complaints to Postmedia so that they can publish it, in the hopes that the owner of the team will care what you think is laughable.

He cares that we're not happy because that means we won't spend money, but he doesn't care what each individual fan thinks we should hire as GM, trade away, or sign. And neither should you. There's a reason that the GM of an NHL team isn't an open hiring process we can send our resumes for. We'd suck at it. 

You miss the point.  Of course an owner will not do the bidding of a fan who writes a critical letter. Nor should he.

But it does pound home the reality of JB's fireable behaviour.  Whether you agree or not with them, it helps to nag FA. And I for one want him nagged.  I want him to wake up to nightmares of angry CDC mobs breaking down his mansion door. :ph34r:

Some very well thought out letters too, which is another reason they probably weren't from CDC. ;)

We live in Canada. There are many knowledgeable hockey fans. I'd gather many of them with more experience around the game than Francisco for sure. And Jim Benning is not some genius hockey guru either.  Its his first gig at GM. And its been 6.5 years. There comes a point where any rational hockey fan must face reality. Some in here still want to cling to Benning, and are comfortable with him doing more deals and spending to the cap with our team in future.  Not me. 

Adding up the Canucks wins and losses so far under JB leadership:  217 wins,  224 losses. Not counting the overtime losses.  JB is batting below .500.  And all the more glaring because of the top heavy stats of wins in JB first year when the Sedins were still producing well, and we had over 100 points that year. Before Benning could really get his hands dirty.

Sorry but a lot of us Canucks fans have higher standards and expect more from our hockey team's management.

Edited by kilgore

7 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Pierre Lebrun had a very interesting take on (the now former) TSN 1040 where he said that the ownership's reluctance to fully rebuild way back when Jim was hired, forced GMJB's hand into trying to do this "retool on the fly". Mind you, Benning made some awful signings in regards to the amount of money given and length of term, but ever since he was hired, ownership always wanted a quick fix.

All the way back to the Eriksson contract (Jim's first big signing) and these expensive signings to add these "foundational veterans" on this team is what resulted from that. I think the Aquilini's stressed that to JB because of their lack of patience and consideration that this would be a long process if done in the right way. 

Linden had enough and abandoned ship and this really just was an inevitable result that would arise sooner or later.

I remember going to the season ticket meeting right before the 2014-2015 season started and both Linden and JB were answering fan questions. One fan asked, "why don't we just full on rebuild and try and get in the McDavid sweepstakes?". Almost right away, Linden answered and said that the Canucks fans "wouldn't accept that". I think that really reflects the attitude of the ownership throughout this entire process. 

I view last season with making the playoffs as kind of like a "calm before the storm", where we got a taste of the potential of this team, but also the impending deconstruction of what looked very promising.

IMO, the root cause of the blame is on the Aquilini's.

linden was let go because he wanted to do full rebuild. ownership wanted to speed up the process and not lose too much revenue.

linden was right. fans wanted to start winning sooner that later and couldn't handle the lengthy process. so in away the fans are also to blame.

ownership pays the bills so they have a right to dictate what they want.

benji made some bad signing but it was done at a time when players didn't want to come. he had to over pay and give longer term than other teams would. i think he was between a rock and a hard place when it came to bringing in the type of players he needed to surround the young core.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, nux4lyfe said:

Breadcrumb Trail Links

1. Vancouver Canucks
  2. Sports
  3. NHL
  4. Hockey

Canucks fans pen open letters to team owner Francesco Aquilini

Vancouver Canucks fans just want the best.

Author of the article:
The Province
Publishing date:
Feb 12, 2021  •  21 hours ago  •  15 minute read
Vancouver, BC: JUNE 22, 2019 --  Nils Hoglander is picked in the second round by the Vancouver Canucks in Day 2 of the 2019 NHL Draft at Rogers Arena in Vancouver, BC Saturday, June 22, 2019.   (Photo by Jason Payne/ PNG) (For story by Ben Kuzma and Patrick Johnston) ORG XMIT: NHLdraft [PNG Merlin Archive]

Nils Hoglander chats with Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini at the NHL Draft in June, 2019. Photo by Jason Payne /PNG

Article content

With concern amongst the Vancouver fan base about the state of their hockey team growing, a number of fans have sent their thoughts along to Postmedia.

Here are a sampling:

From an anonymous fan

Francesco:

We are all struggling and making it up as we go along these days so I don’t envy the decisions you face. It must be tough figuring out the next move, so why don’t we start with the very last move and work backwards from there:

It ends with a Stanley Cup in Vancouver for your players, your family, and your fans.

How do you get there? That’s tough. So let’s ask an easier question that we all know the answer to: How do you not get there?

You don’t get there with good intentions. Wanting to win and surrounding yourself with people who want to win isn’t enough. You need real mechanisms to get real results.

You don’t get there by throwing money at the problem. It’s a cap league.  Resources must be used strategically, not liberally, and mistakes can’t be easily undone. All actions have consequences, eventually.

Advertisement

Article content

You don’t get there by mortgaging the future to pay for the present, at least not until you’re on the precipice of greatness. Trading top picks for veterans isn’t sustainable and doesn’t compound (moving out veterans for top picks, on the other hand, well, we’ve seen how that pays off….).

You don’t get there with a quick sugar high. Sure, you can get a loud cheer from the Yonge Street lobbyists for hiring their friends, colleagues and sources, but those aren’t the cheers you really care about, are they?

mikegillisnhlawardsshowldpezdtcj_ql.jpg?

And sure, you can get a couple nights peace of mind by hiring someone claiming to be able to solve your most immediate problems because of their personal relationships, but you need strategists who can be your own fiduciaries for the long term, not ones who claim they can close the next deal or two with their friends.

You don’t get there without learning, reflecting, being humbled, and evolving. No one does. Mistakes get made, but thank god we get to come back.

When you lift the Cup, the greatest story that could be written would be about your evolution as a steward of the franchise. A story about how you learned from the pitfalls, put the team and the fans first, and in doing so laid the groundwork for sustained greatness. Redemption is the stuff of comic book superheroes. Be one.

You don’t get there without a group of exceptionally talented women and men committed to your mission, and they don’t get there without leaders who can empower them to succeed.

Advertisement

Article content

You don’t get there, not in this moment, anyway, without Mike Gillis and Laurence Gilman.

But you know that already. We do too.

It’s time. Like it always was.

More On This Topic

From Curtis Andrews

The next leader of Canucks hockey operations must be a woman

It’s that time again Canucks fans. Following an off-season distinguished by several unusual decisions made by the organization’s management, the Canucks have played well-below expectations. With Jim Benning now having served as General Manager of the Canucks for approximately six-and-a-half years and sporting an objectively inconsistent track record of on- and off-ice success, Canucks fans and the media have begun to openly consider what (or rather, who) comes next.

This can be a fun time for followers of a sports team. The hiring of a new General Manager tends to be treated like the potential acquisition of a star player – lists of ‘who is available’ are drawn up and the unique experience, skills and vision of the candidates are debated. In modern professional sports, the speculative discussions toward new team management also tends to focus on how team ownership might structure management roles to strengthen and combine skills into a more expansive management team. The approach of the Toronto Maple Leafs over the past years is a good example of this. Ultimately, fans rightly understand that changes to team management – both in personnel and management structure – is a significant signal indicating where the team is going.

Advertisement

Article content

With all this in mind, I was scrolling through the news and came across the announcement of Team Canada’s 2022 olympic hockey management team. While composed primarily of very experienced ‘hockey men’, the addition of a relative management neophyte, Roberto Luongo, was a pleasant surprise. For those of us who have followed him since his early ‘Strombone’ days on Twitter, Luongo clearly possess a unique way of looking at the world while also appearing to be smart and insightful. To wit, see Luongo’s reaction on being named to the management team:

“Quite honestly, I was shocked, I was floored,” Luongo said last week. “I wasn’t expecting it. I thought I was just getting a call to scout some pee wee tournament. But then I realized it was Team Canada for the Olympics in 2022.”

Luongo’s inclusion on the management team was lauded with most coverage touching upon Luongo providing a needed ‘fresh perspective’ for the otherwise ‘traditional’ Team Canada management team. Luongo’s inclusion was seen as providing a competitive advantage of sorts. Frank Seravilli’s summary for TSN is a good example of the media reaction:

“…Luongo’s fresh perspective may be exactly the kind of advantage on the margin Team Canada needs in their quest next year for a third straight gold medal in Olympic best-on-best competition.”

BUFFALO, NY - OCTOBER 17: Roberto Luongo #1 of the Vancouver Canucks celebrates a shutout victory over the Buffalo Sabres with teammate Eddie Lack #31 at First Niagara Center on October 17, 2013 in Buffalo, New York. Vancouver defeated Buffalo 3-0.  (Photo by Jen Fuller/Getty Images) ORG XMIT: 181108248Roberto Luongo (left) is congratulated by his backup Eddie Lack after posting a shutout in Buffalo over the Sabres earlier in the 2013-14 NHL season. Photo by Jen Fuller /Getty Images files

After reading this news, my day progressed but my thoughts continued to linger on both the potential for new Canucks management and how, as exemplified by Luongo’s hire, new approaches to hiring in this space can indeed provide advantages to teams. I very much want to see the Canucks win a championship – I want the team to be successful – and in thinking about this a key question arose in my thoughts: how can the Canucks find a clear, obvious advantage in hiring a new management team?

Advertisement

Article content

I am happy to report that there is an unequivocally correct answer to this question: hire a woman. As it currently stands and has always stood, NHL owners have deliberately excluded 50 per cent of the population from consideration for senior management positions in their hockey operations. This is a quantitative fact. Imagine: NHL owners have simply refused to consider candidates that do not possess a Y-chromosome. And it’s not just team leadership positions. Leadership roles within the NHL league administration are filled in this same way – as one example, the NHL department of safety appears to be a training ground for future NHL team management as it cycles through ex-player after ex-player to lead an area of work that one would think begs for an injection of new thinking and deep management experience. But no, literally zero women have been hired into one of these roles.

There are ‘counter-arguments’ to justify the exclusion of women from these opportunities, but these arguments are bunk. In today’s modern NHL, the skills and experiences required of an NHL general manager or President of Hockey Operations lend themselves to a variety of resumé-types. One does not need to be a ‘hockey man’ and there are many examples (including here in Vancouver) demonstrating that this tired ‘hockey man’ hiring path carries a very high degree of risk itself. Why do NHL owners always refuse to take the same risk? Why would a team that has waited over 50 years to win an NHL championship be so content to take the same approach to management hiring that has always led them to failure?

Advertisement

Article content

There is a plethora of talented female candidates that are waiting for the same sort of shocking call that Luongo received. Without any blame placed on Luongo himself, I’d argue that there are a lot of more qualified female candidates that have toiled for years waiting for a chance like Luongo just received and yet, these calls never arrive. As a Canucks fan this should make you angry, not because changing this is the ‘right thing to do,’ but because your team is deliberately weakening itself. It has failed for more than 50 years and it refuses to take a different approach, one so simple it merely requires selecting a candidate from the other 50 per cent of the human population.

prv0124N hockey 01 -- VANCOUVER, BC -- JANUARY 24, 2006 -- FOR UNWIND STORY BY MIKE ROBERTS -- Ray Ferraro and wife Cammi Granato will both be in Turin, Italy for the Winter Olympics working as hockey commentators. The pair are pictured in their Vancouver, BC home playing table hockey. PROVINCE STAFF PHOTO BY JASON PAYNE [PNG Merlin Archive]Ray Ferraro and wife Cammi Granato enjoy some table hockey in their Vancouver home. Granato’s hockey school for girls will start Monday at North Shore Winter Club. Photo by Jason Payne /Postmedia News Files

Vancouver sports fans — primarily Vancouver soccer fans — have started to demonstrate what it means to be an ally to women, to inclusion and, ultimately, to demanding the teams it cheers for do the ‘right things’ that also make their team better on the playing surface. Let us continue this. My call to all Vancouver Canucks fans is to demand that the Aquilinis make the next leader of Canucks hockey operations a woman. I don’t want a ‘hockey man’. I don’t want a beloved ex-player. I am tired of the Canucks taking THAT risk. I want the team to exploit the huge competitive advantage that none of its competitors for a Stanley Cup are willing to use. The Miami Marlins hired the first female GM in professional sports, we must be the first in the NHL.

Hire a woman, Franco. No excuses.  Hire her.

Advertisement

Article content

To all Canucks fans, make your voices heard.

#hirehercanucks

From John Marriott

I’m going to be blunt: I am ready for this team to be led by someone that is going to bring us a Stanley Cup and a perennial contender. I am done with squeaking into the playoffs, and I’m done with pretending we have had any real success in the seven years Jim Benning has been on the job.

My dream scenario sees either Gillis or Gilman, or a like mind, back in the driver’s seat and they start gearing us up for six to eight years of serious contention starting in two to three years. Maybe we make the playoffs before then, maybe not, but THAT IS NOT THE GOAL.

The goal is a Stanley Cup.

EDMONTON, ALBERTA - AUGUST 12: Elias Pettersson #40 of the Vancouver Canucks (R) celebrates his power-play goal against the St. Louis Blues at 8:37 of the second period and is grabbed by Brock Boeser #6 (L) in Game One of the Western Conference First Round during the 2020 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at Rogers Place on August 12, 2020 in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. (Photo by Jeff Vinnick/Getty Images) ORG XMIT: 775544614 [PNG Merlin Archive]Brock Boeser embraces Elias Pettersson after his linemate scored a playoff goal Aug. 12. Photo by Jeff Vinnick /PNG

This is the first time in the Canucks’ history that we have most of our core assembled (more or less) as they enter their primes: the Sedins and Kesler were already into their mid-late 20s by the time that team arrived, and while Linden and Bure got us close, they weren’t really a real Cup contender with a solid core.

We cannot waste this opportunity. We need to be dealing the Pearson’s, Sutter’s, Hamonic’s, Miller’s (yes, Miller, too), etc and creating a situation where our oldest core player is Bo in a few years time and the roster is filled out with young, exciting players and older, inexpensive veterans.

Take advantage of our expansion draft situation, create room in our cap to be flexible and leap on opportunities, get rid of dead weight even if it means adding in assets. Let’s get this train off the same old track and get a Stanley Cup firmly in our sights.

Advertisement

Article content

From Daryl F.

I don’t want someone to come in with a three-year or five-year plan.

I want someone to come in that has a vision for the Canucks club forever. An identity that ensures every single year we are taking the correct approach and have a singular plan.

Sometimes this means we will have to sell off assets or well-liked players to acquire futures.

Sometimes this means we will have to trade a fan favourite who is in the prime of his career.

Sometimes this means we’ll sign a contract that has a couple bad years on the end of it because we’re really going for it and he’s the missing piece. I do not want to ever, EVER hear that we can’t handle a rebuild again.

We have gone through something that was far worse than a rebuild. It was accidental rebuild that felt like being on a boat without rudder looking for dry land.

We can handle a rebuild, we can handle tough decisions.

What we can’t handle is incompetence.

From Andrew

I don’t have all the answers (no one does really) and yet it is still clear where Jim Benning has missed the mark as a leader of an organization: he has refused to surround himself with perspective and diversity of skill. Not even talking about on-ice product.

Look at the management team he has assembled (John Weisbrod) vs. the team he could have had. He is very proficient in uncovering young talent through the draft, but that is ONE aspect of the job, and ultimately one he shouldn’t be leading.

VANCOUVER, BC - February 24, 2020  - Vancouver Canucks GM Jim Benning post trade deadline at Rogers Arena in Vancouver, BC, February 24, 2020.  (Arlen Redekop / PNG staff photo) (story by reporter) [PNG Merlin Archive]Vancouver Canucks GM Jim Benning post trade deadline at Rogers Arena in Vancouver, BC, February 24, 2020. Photo by Mike Bell /PNG

I think of an alternate universe where Trevor Linden is still President of Hockey Ops with Benning running the operations of the Canucks. He had an AGM who is GREAT at cap management and contracts (Laurence Gilman), an AGM who is GREAT at Scouting (Judd Brackett), an AGM who is GREAT at Player Development (Ryan Johnson), and all he needs to do is listen to everyone’s perspective and facilitate execution.

Advertisement

Article content

Instead, he needs to own it all because he needs to be the guy, and he’s drowning. Ran out of time? No kidding… how can you expect manage the team when you need to be involved in every single step along the way.

Surround yourself with good, talented people and you will have much more success.

So I guess long story short is, the next person that assumes this role needs to be an actual General Manager who can lean on other great minds to help run the organization — a leader who leads.

From “a Canucks fan, soon to be a Kraken fan”

Mr. Aquilini, you have claimed in the past that you are an owner that has grown up a fan of this team. To me that says that your fandom runs deep. What I don’t understand then is why you want to make these thoughtless “turn it around quick” types of decisions.

“Turn it around quick” being a famous line from the hiring of your current GM of YOUR team.

This has not been turned around quickly.

In fact, this has been dragged through the mud with very small spurts of hope sprinkled in. The frustrating part, on top of that, is that this same GM was extended and allowed to make more mistakes that were and are crippling this organization for the present and the future.

Players that are essential to this organization are seeing some of their peak years waste away due to terribly long and bloated contracts being handed to aging players with “cup experience” and “character”.

Although I don’t question the player’s character, where has that got us to so far? No where. You can’t just sign players ’cause they are nice guys.

Advertisement

Article content

That is what Jim is. A nice guy.

But he consistently is losing in all his trades. There is a general feeling that other teams lick their lips when talking to the Canucks for trades.

This is not to say that “nice guys finish last”, but that, that is all Jim is. He doesn’t seem to have that quality to come out ahead in anything.

Unless that is to convince you, the owner, that he is a competent GM that can operate efficiently with a barebones staff. For the record, he can’t. His excuse for missing out on players that would have kept this team closer to what they were last season was, “ran out of time”.

How do you run out of time when you WANT to do something? Was it maybe because Jim handcuffed himself by trying to do everything himself? I wonder if two, three, four phones are better than 1 phone that has four agents on hold while trying to trade for a declining $8-million player?

Seems like it since he “ran out of time”.

Anyway I feel like there is more to say, but you know, time. “Time is money”.

Make the right decision Francesco.

Make the right decision now and going forward. Don’t go for the one-dimensional nice guy anymore.

From Paul

Mr. Aquilini:

I have been a Canucks fan for 30+ years – been to games at the Pacific Coliseum when we had our first real contender in 1991/92. I have been through the ’94 run, the Messier years, Westcoast Xpress, Sedinery, 2011 Cup run, The “Rebuild” and up to our recent edition of the team that quite possibly has the core to be a dynasty for many years to come. We have a franchise centre, a franchise defenceman (finally) and the makings of a superb goaltending tandem in Thatcher and Mikey D.

Advertisement

Article content

This core was drafted by our current regime, which at the draft table has enjoyed success with home runs on Elias and Quinn. The draft has turned our team into one of the most promising teams in the NHL, and if we make the right moves to support them, we can finally WIN a Stanley Cup, something that this city deserves like no other in Canada. By bringing a Stanley Cup to Vancouver , you will cement your legacy in B.C. as well.

However, and with all due respect, we have wasted our first window with this core, and it is due to an inability to insulate our stars with a supporting cast that can make a difference in games. I am all for character and stability in the room, but, in my opinion, we should be spending money and term on talent that produces consistently in the NHL. Support players should never be paid (with term) what we are spending, no matter how foundational a bottom-six player seems.

To take the next step, we need to re-organize the front office and, quite frankly, add more hockey expertise into the room. This starts from the top with a President, GM, and at least two A/GM’s who hold expertise in cap management and pro scouting. We have built this team through our amateur scouting, but have failed due to pro scouting. I am not saying an overhaul, but we need voices of winners. We brought in the current regime to fix amateur scouting, and have paid the price in every other facet – contract negotiations, trades (minus JT Miller – in 7 years!), and free agency.

Advertisement

Article content

Mr. Aquilini, I do not want to talk negatively about anyone, but this team means a lot to me, and our city, and we deserve a Stanley Cup.

We deserve to be the team that brings the CUP back to Canada. And in all honesty, we need to make changes in the front office to take the next step, and not close window #2 as soon as it opens. We failed window #1 and we must succeed after signing Elias and Quinn long term.

We need to build the culture, and make similar adjustments that we made when we had #22, #33, #1, #17, #3 as our core before taking the next step into perennial contender year in and year out.

From Kyle

I want the Canucks to be an organization guided by best practices and a commitment to excellence. Not just be merely “okay.”

An organization that values out of the box progressive thinking and collaborative decision making. One that values long term vision of winning the Stanley cup and maintaining best in class excellence.

I feel in recent years, the goals that informed the Canucks organizational philosophy were short sighted. Rather than setting their sights on a championship, they made numerous short sighted decisions that damaged them in the long term. Their stated vision was too low — they merely wanted to make the playoffs and were unwilling to take the painful but necessary steps to build a real contender.

There’s a good young core there now. It’s not too late to build around them. But it’s not a quick, one season fix, either.

CLICK HERE to report a typo.

Is there more to this story? We’d like to hear from you about this or any other stories you think we should know about. Email vantips@postmedia.com.

This is one of the stupidest articles that I’ve scrolled and skimmed in my entire life.     It’s so short sighted and ridiculous.

Will be interesting to see what this fan thinks of the state of the team on October 1st 2022.   

So many Canuck fans cannot see two feet beyond their nose. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

linden was let go because he wanted to do full rebuild. ownership wanted to speed up the process and not lose too much revenue.

linden was right. fans wanted to start winning sooner that later and couldn't handle the lengthy process. so in away the fans are also to blame.

benji made some bad signing but it was done at a time when players didn't want to come. he had to over pay and give longer term than other teams would. i think he was between a rock and a hard place when it came to bringing in the type of players he needed to surround the young core.

I do wonder if the reason Aqualini has not fired Benning sooner, and also gave him the extension, is some kind of guilt sharing. That he knows, deep down, that he is partly responsible, by meddling too often too early. Making demands that were based on wishful thinking. And so cannot, in good conscience, blame and fire Jim for it.  At least so far.

But if that's the case its a lose lose for fans. Ugh.

I take issue with your "fans wanted to start winning sooner than later and couldn't handle a lengthy process".  Maybe some fans.  But Donnie Taylor was right IMO.  We have knowledgeable fans. I for one would have been sad to see revered veterans leave while they still had some "juice" in them. And would have hated taking a nose dive in the standings. But I also would have understood.  Understood that in the present day, it would have all made more sense.  

And as far as the excuses go, "players didn't want to come", "he had to overpay and give longer term than other teams would", "he was between a rock and a hard place" 

Boo the fudge Hoo.  He shouldn't have been hired as an NHL GM if he can't find any creative way to make a deal for players to come to play in beautiful British Columbia. 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

IMO, the root cause of the blame is on the Aquilini's.

Aquilini gave the mandate to retool on the fly but it was Benning's job to make it work or also look at the long term consequences of his actions. 

Like I doubt it was ownership that explicitly told Benning to get Beagle and Roussel for the the term and amount for they got. 

Ownership gave the mandate and management has to execute with the best of their ability. 

26 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

This is one of the stupidest articles that I’ve scrolled and skimmed in my entire life.     It’s so short sighted and ridiculous.

Will be interesting to see what this fan thinks of the state of the team on October 1st 2022.   

So many Canuck fans cannot see two feet beyond their nose. 

Pretty sure it was more than one fan's letter there. And many more feel that way outside of CDCs glee club. Including a lot of knowledgeable hockey people.  Kind of an ironic criticism of them being the ones "shortsighted" don't you think?

But, you're right, if we fans could only see two feet ahead of our noses, everything would make sense. What we see playing out on the ice is all a temporary illusion. JB is two moves ahead in his 5 dimensional chess game.  :lol:

Edited by kilgore

2 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Nothing more annoying than hearing from fed up fans leaving the bandwagon (or becoming a Kraken fan), or giving up their season tickets.

Just go, and GTFO.

Right? If you can't handle the hard times you don't deserve the good times. Everytime I see some self proclaimed 'life long' fan saying they can't support the team anymore because of a rough patch I just hope the door doesn't hit them on the way out.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Oregon.Duck said:

Just link the article. Everyone wants to be the first to post something, but formatting, advert spots, random weirdness, just hard to read. 

link the article, give a tl;dr, good to go. 

thanks. 

Sorry for being so inconsiderate. #1stworldproblems

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

When is what going to stop? Be more specific. You can point at Benning's tenure and blame him for certain things that have happened across it, but individuals who've been putting down money to buy tickets, ect were not and never will be guaranteed a return on those investments. That's just part of being a sports fan. Putting in decades of fandom is a choice that may or may not have some sort of tangible payout.  

You can punt out Benning, clear out the coaching staff, bring someone else in and there's still no guarantee things will "get better". And even if they do, runs of sustained success in sports tend to be the anomaly not the norm. There are plenty of sports fans who've spent their entire lives hoping their team would win it all/contend who've never gotten to witness that, and there will be plenty more. 

I can only assume you're happy with current events. That's an individual choice. Personally in my own business if things went bad I examined the circumstances to try and make sure it didn't happen again, or the business would have gone down. Seven years is a long time to rinse and repeat. Personally I like to think progress should be a given. And seven years of failure should not be considered acceptable. Maybe others do. I'm pretty sure Aquaman wouldn't accept 7 years of failure  from his other companies and who would blame him?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

I personally am indifferent to JB staying or not.

But advocating to hire back Gillis is just beyond dumb. He created half the problem we are in right now!

Immediately laughed and stopped reading once I saw the Gillis part.

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

Thank you smithers joe for pointing this out. Fans constantly put out this pressure for management to release a product that people want to watch. Do fans have ANY patience to a full rebuild? I don't think so. Benning tried to do a 'half and half' rebuild - and fans seem to blame him for this, even though it may have been more palatable than trading every single roster player on this team to start fresh. Look at Ottawa this season; does anyone ACTUALLY want to watch that team play? I'm guessing no.

At the same time, wanting to hire back GIllis is ridiculous as you pointed out @24K PureCool - I totally agree. He kept trading draft picks to make that extra push. The result? We had next to no prospects to rely on - and we were stale. It was a terrible position to be in.

Fans in this market are so fickle and entitled. There's so much whining, but can their suffering be comparable to what Buffalo Sabres/Ottawa Sens fans have to deal with? NO.

• Cheers 1