The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks fans pen open letters to team owner Francesco Aquilini

Rate this topic

nux4lyfe

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

I can only assume you're happy with current events. That's an individual choice. Personally in my own business if things went bad I examined the circumstances to try and make sure it didn't happen again, or the business would have gone down. Seven years is a long time to rinse and repeat. Personally I like to think progress should be a given. And seven years of failure should not be considered acceptable. Maybe others do. I'm pretty sure Aquaman wouldn't accept 7 years of failure  from his other companies and who would blame him?

You're welcome to assume whatever you'd like about me. That's fantastic, but somehow I doubt your line of work involves a billion dollar professional hockey league with what's soon to be 31 other owners and their executives working tirelessly to achieve or sustain the same success you want the Canucks to have. Aqua's a billionaire, and not just barely a billionaire either, I'm pretty sure he probably knows what he's doing. I'd imagine he's got plenty of well-educated advisors outside of hockey who help him decide whether to make hockey related decisions or not. 

Maybe Benning goes at the end of the season, maybe he doesn't. Maybe they allow Green's contract to expire, maybe they want to wait and see how an admittedly strange season plays out before making significant changes. Maybe Aqua doesn't feel like paying a GM to manage to team while paying Benning to chill out as Covid continues to harm his revenue stream, maybe that doesn't factor in at all. Bottom line is we can speculate all we'd like but none of us on this forum really know &^@# all and we'll either stop paying attention to the NHL or wait and see. 

Just to be clear, I am by no means pro Benning, nor am I pro Green, I just don't care enough to write to a sports franchise owner. Whatever they decide is their business. If they want to wait all season to fire people; so be it. If they don't fire anyone that's up to them, not many of us are paying them any money this year. When I pay the bills I'll make the decisions. I may not always agree, but I am in no position to tell a billionaire how to run their business. 

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

Pretty sure it was more than one fan's letter there. And many more feel that way outside of CDCs glee club. Including a lot of knowledgeable hockey people.  Kind of an ironic criticism of them being the ones "shortsighted" don't you think?

But, you're right, if we fans could only see two feet ahead of our noses, everything would make sense. What we see playing out on the ice is all a temporary illusion. JB is two moves ahead in his 5 dimensional chess game.  :lol:

October 2022:

1) All of our “bad/transitional” contracts will be off the books....contracts of which were deliberately brought in at the time to insulate the youth and protect their development.

2) Horvat, Schmidt, Miller, and Boeser will still be on relatively low cap hit deals.

3) Demko, Pettersson, Hughes, Hoglander, Podkolzin, and many more of our younger players will be closer to their peak years.

Guys like Pettersson and Hughes will likely be put on “bridged” or 5 year cap deals (a la Chicago/LA model) so that it keeps their cap hits low in the short term so that it increases our chances of going after a cup.  If the Canucks finish poorly this season, there’s also a slight chance that our 2021 1st rounder could factor into the 2022-2023 season.

If these so-called “knowledgeable” fans truly understood our cap structure and what contracts will be coming off the books this season and next, along with what type of players would want to sign here given our young core and nucleus, they would not be in such a panicked state.  

STOP. 

Re-Read the above in bold again.

Its entirely possible that the Canucks’ GM, management, and ownership is much smarter than a bunch of schmucks from HF, The Athletic, Canucks Army, etc., etc.

• Upvote 2

Fans in this market are so fickle and entitled. There's so much whining, but can their suffering be comparable to what Buffalo Sabres/Ottawa Sens fans have to deal with? NO.

Fickle as in "changing frequently, especially as regards one's loyalties" I've been a Canuck fan since 1973, put my money where my mouth is and turn up rain snow or hale for all those years and you consider me fickle. Really. I do not believe that there should be a some mutual return from the club. This group have been in control now for 7 years and yes I've followed and attended every game and frankly any other business would be in bankruptcy by now. And the fans are fickle I don't believe it. Why are fans willing to live with mediocrity for so long would be my question. Only a masochist enjoys punishment of this type for such a long period of time. There should be pressure, pressure to succeed, it's professional sports not Pee Wee  hockey. Ownership should make all departments of their business accountable.

In 1972 I worked for McMillan Bloedel and each department was called up to the board room to explain failure. They set the bar at $500 if you had made a bad call in excess of $500 you had to provide an written explanation. We sat around the boardroom table and thrashed out problems. Pressure is good and keeps you focused. No one wanted to attend the monthly witch hunt. Why should Orca Bay be any different, you don't want pity you want success. A pat on the back for success and a kick up the a$$ for failure

This just seems like a typical overreaction of a segment of the fanbase who likes to panic at every setback this team encounters.

Yes, the team is struggling, and yes, Benning has made his share of mistakes, but he has had by far more succeses than mistakes.

This is a guy who started with a cupboard that was virtually empty except for Horvat, and has ended up with a team that will contend for years when they're finally ready.

2 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

I personally am indifferent to JB staying or not.

But advocating to hire back Gillis is just beyond dumb. He created half the problem we are in right now!

Immediately laughed and stopped reading once I saw the Gillis part.

Please, list half the problems Gillis created. 

6 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Please, list half the problems Gillis created. 

Let's start with the obvious one.

Luongo's contract that is still eating up the cap.

Leaving the organization with 0 blue chip prospects other than Horvat forcing JB to trade picks for young players and signing the bunch of the oft complained about bottom 6. (Does not excuse JB from signing those long and expensive contracts)

NTC and NMC that limited JB's trading options. 

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Let's start with the obvious one.

Luongo's contract that is still eating up the cap.

Leaving the organization with 0 blue chip prospects other than Horvat forcing JB to trade picks for young players and signing the bunch of the oft complained about bottom 6. (Does not excuse JB from signing those long and expensive contracts)

NTC and NMC that limited JB's trading options. 

The Luongo trade is 3 mill and came long after Gillis left. 

Benning, hmm, Loui 6 mill, Meyers 6 mill, Scmidt 6 mill... I leave all the rest of the expensive signings to someone else ti fill in.

Is Luongo the only one you can list?

23 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

The Luongo trade is 3 mill and came long after Gillis left. 

Benning, hmm, Loui 6 mill, Meyers 6 mill, Scmidt 6 mill... I leave all the rest of the expensive signings to someone else ti fill in.

Is Luongo the only one you can list?

You ignored my other points on how Gillis created the situation that lead to those overpriced contract JB signed. Again I ain't saying that JB is not responsible for those. All I am saying is that Gillis is not the right person to replace JB as others wanted. 

Also if there is more than Luongo still on the cap that Gillis can be on the list of worst GM in NHL history. 

6 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

You ignored my other points on how Gillis created the situation that lead to those overpriced contract JB signed. Again I ain't saying that JB is not responsible for those. All I am saying is that Gillis is not the right person to replace JB as others wanted. 

Also if there is more than Luongo still on the cap that Gillis can be on the list of worst GM in NHL history. 

Well, the Luongo deal was allowed when Gillis did that.

That mean that Gillis write contracts today that is allowed. Get it?

So it is just ridiculus to hold an allowed contract against Gillis. 

Bennings bad contracts is a lot... 

Edited by Timråfan

2 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Well, the Luongo deal was allowed when Gillis did that.

That mean that Gillis write contracts today that is allowed. Get it?

So it is just ridiculus to hold an allowed contract against Gillis. 

Bennings bad contracts is a lot... 

He was warned by the league that those kind of back diving contracts will result in repercussions in the future. He deserves the blame for ignoring warnings from the league.

That aside, we are not arguing if Gillis is a good GM or not, the point is that he is not the guy who should take over from JB if JB is fired. 

5 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

He was warned by the league that those kind of back diving contracts will result in repercussions in the future. He deserves the blame for ignoring warnings from the league.

That aside, we are not arguing if Gillis is a good GM or not, the point is that he is not the guy who should take over from JB if JB is fired. 

Well, Gillis seem to have his head screwed on. 

That is a great thing for a GM.

Not afraid of thinking outside the box. 

Benning is probably too old school to change.