The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Hurricanes trade Gregory Hofmann’s rights to Blue Jackets for 2022 7th-round pick

Cheap if he can only sign an ELC.

Chicago had some success with bringing in established pros from the Swiss league with Kubalik and this season Pius Suter, younger but 28 is not over the hill. 

Some prospects have also lost considerable development time with the pandemic and might mot be ready to make the jump while they might see Hoffman able to step right in.  Buys time for their prospects to catchup on lost development.

Columbus has also given up quite a few picks when they tried to make a run their final season with Panarin.  They have to bring in players by other ways.  Not always easy to attract free agents in certain markets without overpaying.

On 2/13/2021 at 2:55 PM, Rick Blight said:

Columbus European scouts must really like this guy. He has continuously played in the Swiss League since the 2009/10 season

Yeah, I get the feeling that Hofmann just never wanted to play in Carolina for whatever reason.

I have to wonder if Columbus can lure him over. They've got a couple of Swiss players on the roster already (Dean Kukan, Elvis Merzlikins) and have a pretty international roster with the likes of Alex Texier (France), Patrik Laine (Finland), as well as the NHL's only European born GM.

I wouldn't sleep on him, he profiles like a Swiss Nikita Gusev from what I've read.

• Cheers 1