The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Francesco Aquilini says "I have no plans to make changes."

Rate this topic

AriGold2.0

5 hours ago, KirkSave said:

And the leafs haven't made it out the 1st rnd in that time. This will likely be the year for them to get over that hump based on how the current alignment is but then again not everything goes as planned (ex. tampa getting swept by columbus 2 years ago). 

Also, what is the leafs sense of direction and action plan? I think they have handcuffed themsleves with their big 4 contracts. They will have trouble resigning MR for his next deal and FA will need a new deal and will likely sign one similar to Marky's. If they lose both those players it will hurt them big time.

Better to be handcuffed by contracts to actual good players than complete dead weight.

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

They were wrong then, they're still wrong now. Not agreeing with how someone is rebuilding is not the same as them doing a bad job. Especially when their boss has approved said direction.

It's knee jerk because nobody was firing him last year when we were beating St Louis and on to the second round of the playoffs with our third consecutive Calder candidate leading the way.

First of all, yet again, 7 years is not a long rebuild. Seriously some of you people need to look the &^@# around the rest of the league. Second, how many of those years have people been expecting a contending team? Sure, if Gillis had missed the playoffs 5 of 7 years with the rosters he had, you have a right to impatience. When a rebuilding club does it...? That should be expected to anyone who doesn't drool when they talk.

Probably after we don't have 3 (going on 4 and possibly 5 next year when Podkolzin arrives) Calder candidates in a row, a rebuilt young core of talented players not even sniffing their primes, with more solid prospects on the way and a trade that brought in a key top 6 F for a solid value, anitger trade for a top pair D for peanuts and signed another top 4 D for a perfectly reasonable contract. 

Nope, just reality.

Who's playing the owner card? Whatever that is... Other teams are in the same ocean, not the same boat.

Demko seems established just fine for his age. Splitting starts and was stellar in the playoffs. Not sure what else anyone would expect for a guy in his second full season?

Juolevi looks damn good or there was well.

Lots of other depth prospects still coming from prior drafts as well. 

Handful? He's basically rebuilt our current/future top 6 by drafting Pettersson, Boeser, Hoglander and Podkolzin and trading for Miller. With a huge pool (Lind, Jasek, Costmar, Lockwood, Karlsson etc, etc) of quality depth prospects to fill out the bottom 6 (with Motte, MacEwan etc) in coming years.

Same goes for the top 4 D in drafting Hughes and Juolevi, trading for Schmidt and signing Myers. And we still have Rathbone, Woo, Tryamkin etc to add to that as well as decent depth guys like Brisebois, Rafferty, Chatfield and some pretty nice looking D prospects taken last draft. As well as plenty of opportunity to trade or sign for other pieces as needed.

They've largely made good picks throughout the draft, first round included. Are we complaining about that now too?

Completely disagree. Team underperforming withstanding, I LOVED his moves this summer.

Didn't commit term and cap to vets when we'll actually be needing it, improved our D, lateral on goalies while setting up to not lose Demko in the ED all amongst tough, pandemic circumstances.

We weren't supposed to be a good as well were last year. Nobody expected Pettersson and Hughes to me that ready, that soon. This and next of season all the vets expire. We're extremely well positioned and (despite the hand wringing) there has been very little 'opportunity cost' lost. We don't have 'long term cap' issues. At all.

What do you think happens in the next two years? All those vets come off.

And even then, have you actually looked at how much cap recent cup winning teams have in their bottom 6? Tampa? St Louis?

those contracts were specifically designed for mentorship and as always, we have to overpay to get anyone here, well at least at the time.

6 minutes ago, dank.sinatra said:

Better to be handcuffed by contracts to actual good players than complete dead weight.

dead weight?! you mean now or when they got here, if you believe that when they got here you'd be a idiot.. this is not Edmonton by the way with so many first round picks and hardly anyone to lead them.. they got destroyed because of that...

This was exactly what was needed.  Sorry to some who feel change is needed, but it's a fickle town when everyone praised JB as the golden guy for stealing Schmidt.  Everyone loves the drafting.  Letting Markstrom sucked but everyone knew that was the right thing to do given Demko's arrival and Markstrom's cost (and the expansion draft).  The Canucks went to within a late goal of making the Western Conference finals and everyone loved this team and Benning.  Nobody liked losing Tanev, but the media were the first to say that Tanev was past his best and would be too costly.  So okay, now they're off to a tough start with no confidence after playing 5 more games than everyone else so early in the season and running with only 3-4 practices all season for so long.....and yet our fans want people fired.  Crazy stuff.  This year so far sucks but take a step back and look at the big picture.  Some people wanted MG back....are you kidding me?!!!  That guy left the cupboards empty which led to it taking so many years to rebuild.  

The owner who has been involved too much in the past has stepped up and been involved when he needed to.  His statement puts the onus on the players.  There's nothing wrong with the GM and coach.  JB needs some tough contracts to clear over the next couple of years and that will be the time to truly assess his value for the future.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

dead weight?! you mean now or when they got here, if you believe that when they got here you'd be a idiot.. this is not Edmonton by the way with so many first round picks and hardly anyone to lead them.. they got destroyed because of that...

Eriksson has always been dead weight. Roussell had one good year. Baertschi scored a few goals but is now the definition of dead weight. Beagle is replaceable by someone with a much cheaper contract. Virtanen's extension is quickly becoming dead weight. Myers' contract is bad now and will be dead weight by the time it's over... yes dead weight. The list of terrible contracts goes on and on. How can you not see that?

The level of homerism on this board is freaking insane. 

Edit: Forgot to shout out my boy Brandon Sutter.

Edited by dank.sinatra
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Yeah Edmonton got wrecked because they had no one to "lead" them, sure.

This team has also been getting wrecked for years with their so called overpaid "leaders"

What's your point?

Edited by dank.sinatra

2 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

those contracts were specifically designed for mentorship and as always, we have to overpay to get anyone here, well at least at the time.

It's the only way they have an 'argument' to justify their outrage.

Zero context given as to what conditions they were signed under (rebuilding team unable to attract players on the merit of contention). And zero recognition that all of those contracts expire after this and next year as planned.

All while also cutting down the importance and quality of those players as though they were worthless 'wastes' of cap space and of no or negative value.

Beagle is an excellent 4C and veteran mentor. Is his cap hit cheap? Hell no. Same goes for Sutter. At best though, you can label that as 'inefficient' cap. All teams have some and I'd happily pay both 'inefficiently' for what they bring for the last couple years coming out of a rebuild, all over again.

And no CDC, Myers is not overpaid. He's paid 2nd pair, UFA aged D rate, exactly as he should be.

The only cap hit people should really complain about is Eriksson. It's the only real clear 'clunker' of the lot. 

Beyond that, yes we have a few, short term, inefficient contracts hardly worth all the hand wringing.

Only other one I might want back in hindsight (especially after trading for Pearson and given our depth on wing) is Roussel. And even he's not that bad and also expires soon.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

you know who makes the best mentors? actual good hockey players. not overpaid, over the hill vets looking to cash in on one last big contract. 

8 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

This was exactly what was needed.  Sorry to some who feel change is needed, but it's a fickle town when everyone praised JB as the golden guy for stealing Schmidt.  Everyone loves the drafting.  Letting Markstrom sucked but everyone knew that was the right thing to do given Demko's arrival and Markstrom's cost (and the expansion draft).  The Canucks went to within a late goal of making the Western Conference finals and everyone loved this team and Benning.  Nobody liked losing Tanev, but the media were the first to say that Tanev was past his best and would be too costly.  So okay, now they're off to a tough start with no confidence after playing 5 more games than everyone else so early in the season and running with only 3-4 practices all season for so long.....and yet our fans want people fired.  Crazy stuff.  This year so far sucks but take a step back and look at the big picture.  Some people wanted MG back....are you kidding me?!!!  That guy left the cupboards empty which led to it taking so many years to rebuild.  

The owner who has been involved too much in the past has stepped up and been involved when he needed to.  His statement puts the onus on the players.  There's nothing wrong with the GM and coach.  JB needs some tough contracts to clear over the next couple of years and that will be the time to truly assess his value for the future.

Settle down at MG, he was handed a $&!#z team and had no other choice and he had no cupboard to start with either, and we almost beat Boston, one more year without the cap and we'd have had a cup here...

4 minutes ago, dank.sinatra said:

you know who makes the best mentors? actual good hockey players. not overpaid, over the hill vets looking to cash in on one last big contract. 

and what exactly do you think you know about a good hockey player? not much by the looks of it... and how come our young guys loved the experienced guys helping them with aspects of their game they needed help with? I guess that means nothing.. 

Edited by iceman64
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, dank.sinatra said:

Eriksson has always been dead weight. Roussell had one good year. Baertschi scored a few goals but is now the definition of dead weight. Beagle is replaceable by someone with a much cheaper contract. Virtanen's extension is quickly becoming dead weight. Myers' contract is bad now and will be dead weight by the time it's over... yes dead weight. The list of terrible contracts goes on and on. How can you not see that?

The level of homerism on this board is freaking insane. 

I agree with all you've said but have to add - that at the time of many of these signings some of those bad signings looked reasonable and about all that was available on the market and as Iceman64 said (in one of the post - just above) a few of the signings were for mentorship and some experience to be in the room.   Edmonton is a good example where they tried to build a team with a bunch of Millennials and almost no grey hair in the room and they've been floating aimlessly in the wind for years. 

Luckily, we knock off $20M this year and a bit more than that next year - of bad contacts/deadwood which should give JB an opportunity to add the missing pieces we need to make a solid push - just when our star players are moving into prime.   Hopefully JB can get that right because he hasn't exactly shown wisdom in a number of trades/signings in the past - as his forte is drafting/scouting.      

Plus I'm willing to bet $5 bucks that TG and most of his special teams/asst coaches will be gone by then and we'll finally have an NHL Calibre coach at the helm just at the right time.  Fingers crossed !!!

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

It's the only way they have an 'argument' to justify their outrage.

Zero context given as to what conditions they were signed under (rebuilding team unable to attract players on the merit of contention). And zero recognition that all of those contracts expire after this and next year as planned.

All while also cutting down the importance and quality of those players as though they were worthless 'wastes' of cap space and of no or negative value.

Beagle is an excellent 4C and veteran mentor. Is his cap hit cheap? Hell no. Same goes for Sutter. At best though, you can label that as 'inefficient' cap. All teams have some and I'd happily pay both 'inefficiently' for what they bring for the last couple years coming out of a rebuild, all over again.

And no CDC, Myers is not overpaid. He's paid 2nd pair, UFA aged D rate, exactly as he should be.

The only cap hit people should really complain about is Eriksson. It's the only real clear 'clunker' of the lot. 

Beyond that, yes we have a few, short term, inefficient contracts hardly worth all the hand wringing.

Only other one I might want back in hindsight (especially after trading for Pearson and given our depth on wing) is Roussel. And even he's not that bad and also expires soon.

You're just flat out wrong. You should research player value a bit more instead of just taking Benning's word that his players are "real good."

Myers is a replacement level defenseman. He has no business in the top four on a good team. Sucks to say, seems like a nice guy, but his career history doesn't lie.

Only complain about Eriksson?? Are you kidding me. What about Baertschi?? Spooner?? Roussell? 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

and what exactly do you think you know about a good hockey player? not much by the looks of it... and how come our young guys loved the experienced guys helping them with aspects of their game they needed help with? I guess that means nothing.. 

The experienced guys that the young guys wanted on the team were the guys that JB let walk in the off-season lmfao

I'm glad that Aquilini didn't cave to the incessant whining.

The season is far from over.

Marky refused to be exposed in the expansion draft. He went to UFA and used our offers to him to maximize his deal with Calgary. Tanev was offered a deal as well but chose the extra term. We didn't get another chance to add because he said that he would sleep on the deal and announced his deal with calgary soon after. Definitely didn't sleep on it and also used our offer to maximize his deal.

We didn't have cap for Toffoli. Using running out of time as a whining point is disingenuous. He ran out of time on the OEL deal. That was a deadline stipulated by OEL. Arizona's GM thought he could negotiate past the deadline. He's set to make 10.5 million a year for three seasons in a row. We probably dodged a bullet on that one. Shedding cap was difficult and Benning couldn't find a reasonable offer or I'm sure he would have took it. Toffoli, a UFA, took the best offer that we were not in a position to match.

It probably sucked to be second choice, but if Stecher would have hung in there he would still be a Canuck.

The more wanted thing is probably because Benning told the agents the situation and didn't keep phoning them just to re-state that while the other GMs probably phoned more often to change their offers until acceptable.

Edited by RWMc1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, iceman64 said:

yeah it's called a cap... maybe you heard of it LMFAO!

Keep making excuses for futility man... have fun defending one of the worst teams in the league over the past decade. Stockholm syndrome at its finest.

There's really no point trying to lay out facts on this board. It's a place for homers to come together and blindly support the team. I get that and that's ok. It's just not for me.

If anyone wants to actually discuss hockey and the Canucks with a critical and informed eye you can catch me on Twitter and Reddit. Peace. 

1 minute ago, dank.sinatra said:

Keep making excuses for futility man... have fun defending one of the worst teams in the league over the past decade. Stockholm syndrome at its finest.

There's really no point trying to lay out facts on this board. It's a place for homers to come together and blindly support the team. I get that and that's ok. It's just not for me.

If anyone wants to actually discuss hockey and the Canucks with a critical and informed eye you can catch me on Twitter and Reddit. Peace. 

Have you ever heard of a rebuild? it's not over yet.. just saying... 

11 minutes ago, dank.sinatra said:

You're just flat out wrong. You should research player value a bit more instead of just taking Benning's word that his players are "real good."

Myers is a replacement level defenseman. He has no business in the top four on a good team. Sucks to say, seems like a nice guy, but his career history doesn't lie.

Only complain about Eriksson?? Are you kidding me. What about Baertschi?? Spooner?? Roussell? 

If you did your research you'd see that so far this season Myers is putting up the same numbers as Weber, Burns, Giordano, Provorov and Chabot, So yes, this season so far he has been "real good". 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, dank.sinatra said:

but are they at our door begging for jobs? how easy it is to be critical when we weren't there trying to get these players here.

beagle brings that leadership and commitment to fitness to the team. was he over paid, yes but how else was available to pick up at that time, and would have beagle chose canucks for less. i don't know.

roussel had a reputation of playing on the edge and supplying grit. the type the team needed. was he paid too much? yes, but to get him JB had to over pay.

what was the alternative? if they hadn't got players like that, do you think the fan base would have understood  and be good with letting their young stars succeed in their growth with out any help?

Just now, iceman64 said:

Have you ever heard of a rebuild? it's not over yet.. just saying... 

Ask JB if he's ever heard of a rebuild... Apparently he hasn't since he refused to admit to one in the first place and has since failed utterly at completing one.

It's been seven years. They have two elite players on ELC's and this is the roster they've managed to compile around them. It's embarrassing.