The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Francesco Aquilini says "I have no plans to make changes."

Rate this topic

AriGold2.0

41 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Gillis was trying to win the cup not build a prospect pool.  Gillis had more president trophies than Benning has playoff appearances for the Canucks lol.  

Also if there were no good players that Gillis left over, how did Benning get a 100 point season his first year?  And if there were no good players, what kind of idiot goes at it with a win now mentality?

The thing is, how is the argument of Gillis having more president trophies than Benning has playoff experiences any different than Gillis not leaving a prospect pool for Benning? Like sure, they're true facts, both of them, but couldn't we be saying the same thing if it was Benning who came before Gillis? What are we trying to prove here other than showing situation matters a lot?

And clearly not having a prospect pool is a situation much like how Gillis already having a core when he came in was also a situation.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

And what happened after that season? Everyone knows the sedins were on their way out, yet Gillis didn't leave a plan. As you've admitted, it was a win now mode. But it came at a huge cost. That cost is still trying to be paid off even now.

That is the legacy of Gillis.

Sedins were on their way out?  Someone should have told the Sedins or Benning that.  They never left bro.  Though yes, trying to win the cup comes at a cost.  Nobody was complaining in 2011.  And how is that being paid for now?  Your post makes no sense.

Edited by CanadianRugby
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

The thing is, how is the argument of Gillis having more president trophies than Benning has playoff experiences any different than Gillis not leaving a prospect pool for Benning? 

Because Gillis was hired to win the cup and he came within a win. 

Benning was hired to rebuild this team and after 7 years they're the 3rd worst team in the league.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CanadianRugby said:

Benning was hired to rebuild this team and after 7 years they're the 3rd worst team in the league.

I would give Benning one more year. I feel we're playing a lot better recently, but we need to desperately change our bottom 6 and tinker with our defense. I think a combination of getting Podz, Tryamkin, shedding some salary, potential top 5 pick & players like Gadjovich, Lind, Focht, Jasek - provide a lot of optimism going forward for our bottom 6. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, CanadianRugby said:

Sedins were on their way out?  Someone should have told the Sedins or Benning that.  They never left bro.  Though yes, trying to win the cup comes at a cost.  Nobody was complaining in 2011.  And how is that being paid for now?  Your post makes no sense.

Your denial of the situation is on par with most of the fans and FA. Most people didn't want Sedins to go/fade away, even though it was inevitable and unavoidable. They did decline as years passed by. You can attribute this decline through their points. But they were STILL the Canucks best option.

My post makes perfect sense.

9 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

So basically it's all situational like I said.

Actually, one thing I wanted to point out was how Gillis claimed he had a theory with drafting that he felt was going to work at getting a lot of draft picks (had a lot to do with smarts above all else which is why he picked Hodgson). He also convinced Acquillini to poor the most money into player development than in the entire league.

So, what you're saying is only really half the story with Gillis. He DID claim to know how to draft and did put a lot of focus on player development. He just happened to pick players that arguably didn't make much of an impact until in his final year when he picked Horvat. But I remember reading articles on prospects saying how Gillis did really weird interviews where there were puzzles and stuff like that. lol 

Basically "he was just hired to win the cup" is the simplified easy version in order to create an argument when really there's a LOT more to the story where, looking back on it now, it's kind of comedic the things I heard about him at the draft table. Let's not forget that he literally claimed he felt he knew how to draft well.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DSVII said:

FA doesn't want to pay for two GMs, any changes that come will be in the offseason. It's very concerning that Green and Ian Clark have no contract extensions.....

Not really, we all knew they were just "Interim" coaches.   I fully expect we'll finally hire experienced HNL Caliber coaches in the next year or two to bring our maturing core to the Table as they begin to move into their peak years.

21 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Not really, we all knew they were just "Interim" coaches.   I fully expect we'll finally hire experienced HNL Caliber coaches in the next year or two to bring our maturing core to the Table as they begin to move into their peak years.

I understand with Green, but I'd like to retain Ian Clark at least!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Gillis slander needs to stop right now.

If we won the cup, we would have a statue of him outside Rogers Arena.

We were 60 minutes away and a far more talented team on paper. Gillis did everything he could within his power to bring the cup home to the city.

The ungratefulness is real.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1