The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Francesco Aquilini says "I have no plans to make changes."

Rate this topic

Just now, MikeyD said:

Also way too many people are putting way too much stock into Podkolzin changing this team dynamically when he comes over. 

We can be optimistic about how good he is, can we not? By all accounts, his game is similar to Motte's, except on a higher level.

1 minute ago, MikeyD said:

Also way too many people are putting way too much stock into Podkolzin changing this team dynamically when he comes over. 

Too much expectations.

Worse, if Tram does play for the team again. Will the fanbase turn on him if he has a couple of bad games, or comes into training camp out of shape? 

• Vintage 1
2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

We can be optimistic about how good he is, can we not? By all accounts, his game is similar to Motte's, except on a higher level.

Oh we can be optimistic. His ceiling is high, but he's just nowhere near his ceiling yet. I think people believe he's this bulldog similar to Hoglander but his efforts aren't consistent enough with Hoglander's in my opinion. Hopefully I'm wrong, but he's definitely a player that can either be a great leader or check out when things aren't going well. People are also overrating his skills. He has raw talent but sometimes lacks the iq to go with his hands. He's gonna be a role player off the hop, he's not gonna be a saviour. 

We just need to temper expectations so the kid can grow. Too many are hoping he's gonna dramatically change the organization off the hop. You're asking to be let down if that's your view point. 

• Hydration 1
1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Nobody said being a fan of a team is easy. Just ask the Browns or Red Sox.

The Aquilinis can’t be responsible for all 50 years of failing to win a cup. All I’ve seen is owners willing to spend to the cap every season. Winning a championship is very difficult though.

DeNiro once again being the voice of reason. 

• Burr 1
1 hour ago, kanucks25 said:

You'll have to forgive people when year 7 of a rebuild is a complete dumpster fire. Sometimes things like that would make even something as clear as Benning's brilliant plan seem a bit blurry.

Hey.. Were you the guy who said Corey Perry was going to be a Canuck ? Or something like that.. it must have been like 6-7 years ago haha..

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Nobody said being a fan of a team is easy. Just ask the Browns or Red Sox.

The Aquilinis can’t be responsible for all 50 years of failing to win a cup. All I’ve seen is owners willing to spend to the cap every season. Winning a championship is very difficult though.

Gotta spend the money on the right people. There are lots of Billionaire owners who have horrible teams. 

I like FA for his willingness, but if he is indeed involved in player negotiations (eg Virtanen) or has the wrong people making the wrong moves then it is all for not. 

JB has an eye for drafting players, he always has. Some of the free agency signings and unsignings have been his anchors. 

They might actually be gone. This is Aquilini doing PR in my mind. 

Same thing you do in large companies when there are rumors of layoffs, reorgs, whatever. As a leader you say “things are fine, totally fine” to try and keep folks calm. There’s more to the org than just the GM, a coach, and players. There’s thousands of staff members. 

Edited by Oregon.Duck
  • Hydration 1
30 minutes ago, Oregon.Duck said:

They might actually be gone. This is Aquilini doing PR in my mind. 

Same thing you do in large companies when there are rumors of layoffs, reorgs, whatever. As a leader you say “things are fine, totally fine” to try and keep folks calm. There’s more to the org than just the GM, a coach, and players. There’s thousands of staff members. 

Agreed!  Coaching staff and benning are gone.   There’s going to be a serious clean up happening soon.   What is Aqua gonna do?  Yes we plan on firing everyone? 

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I would be perfectly happy if they only fired the assistants.

Its obvious the two areas this team is struggling is D zone play and our power play. Those two things fall squarely on the shoulders of Brown and Baumer.

Like how does Baumer keep allowing Myers to rush the puck like Hughes? Not every D man should have the green light to jump up. He’s gotta have a better handle on his defensemans strengths and weaknesses.

You sir, speak my language, cheers.

• Hydration 1