The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Calgary Lames | February 15, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN1, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

26 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Much better. Playing like this over a full season I like our chances. But the circumstances are what they are and we need results.

Gotta hope our competition goes on a slide at some point.

Yeah getting the point was good. Now we need to get 2 on Wednesday.

I feel bad for Nate too, I thought he had a good game. Been playing well lately.

And **** Calgary, they haven't earned either win.

we also broke the seal on Marky twice now. 

I do like Schmidt, he's certainly putting in the effort. Not sure why so many guys on the team are committing the unforced errors this year.... I'm chalking it up to Covid and a lack of family time, that has to be rough for these guys. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I do like Schmidt, he's certainly putting in the effort. Not sure why so many guys on the team are committing the unforced errors this year.... I'm chalking it up to Covid and a lack of family time, that has to be rough for these guys. 

really appreciate your opinion, but players of other teams have also cope with COVID, lack of family time ..... I am sorry that i have to say this, but this is an excuse. I don't like excuses.

• Sad 1

I'm not sure if this has been said in that I don't have time to read some 60 or 70 pages. I put this loss on the coaches (either Green or Baumgartner or both). Why on Earth did they let Quinn Hughes have 2 plus minute shift near the end of the 3rd period? His exhaustion led to his penalty, led to the 4 on 3 overtime winner.

• Cheers 1

This game kind of summed up the Canucks this season. Good start, got a lead, then allowed CGY to claw back. Leads can vanish quickly without a good D game. And who scored the lead goal for CGY? Yeppers, the same guy the Canucks signed to fill Tanev's spot. Oh, the curse is real my friends. 

The best players aren't good enough this year, except I have liked Boeser's game, and Bo's been pretty good at times. Hoglander has been the best player, but Pettersson was the Canucks best player a year or two ago and he's since come back to earth. Hughes is a mistake machine, good thing he's got them edges and smarts.

Jake is useless, terrible player, what a waste of a physique lol 

• Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

really appreciate your opinion, but players of other teams have also cope with COVID, lack of family time ..... I am sorry that i have to say this, but this is an excuse. I don't like excuses.

maybe, but as a parent I know it would effect me. Maybe its the lack of practice time? new group members? dunno. But something is throwing these guys off and its not innate talent or lack of effort or give a $&!# factor.

Maybe its a coaching staff that isn't adapting as well as others. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

23 minutes ago, wloutet said:

I'm not sure if this has been said in that I don't have time to read some 60 or 70 pages. I put this loss on the coaches (either Green or Baumgartner or both). Why on Earth did they let Quinn Hughes have 2 plus minute shift near the end of the 3rd period? His exhaustion led to his penalty, led to the 4 on 3 overtime winner.

Yeah I love Huggy but wtf was that. Pond hockey?

31 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

He just serves up pizzas. I'm sure teams have seen it on film and are coached to wait and capitalize on them. 

26 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

This game kind of summed up the Canucks this season. Good start, got a lead, then allowed CGY to claw back. Leads can vanish quickly without a good D game. And who scored the lead goal for CGY? Yeppers, the same guy the Canucks signed to fill Tanev's spot. Oh, the curse is real my friends. 

The best players aren't good enough this year, except I have liked Boeser's game, and Bo's been pretty good at times. Hoglander has been the best player, but Pettersson was the Canucks best player a year or two ago and he's since come back to earth. Hughes is a mistake machine, good thing he's got them edges and smarts.

Bo has been quite horrible this year along with Miller. both need extra practice time! Hughes might make a few mistakes but what he puts forth more than makes up for them. 

• Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He just serves up pizzas. I'm sure teams have seen it on film and are coached to wait and capitalize on them. 

this year, but from his career stats he certainly isn't a give-away machine. I think he's better than what we're seeing so far, but he's got the yips for some reason. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I have heard now for as many years as Jake has been with the team how big and strong he is.  And I have seen locker room shots of his upper body and yeah, the guy's got guns.

But why does he STILL play like a shy rookie most of the time?  We are lucky to get one or two nice hits from him a game. Someone here noticed the comparison of Lucic and Virtanen during the GDT.  How Lucic just seems so much bigger and powerful next to Jake.  Now Jake is smaller, but not nearly as much as he looks on the ice when on the ice at the same time.

Jake, 6' 1",  226

Lucic, 6' 3"  231

A lot has to do with how confident he throws his body around, and gets into rough areas. The eye test makes him look much smaller. And the same goes when he goes against other team's tougher customers around his size. Jake just has always looked smaller on the ice, even though he's not a small boy. Its all body language. He seems still, after 6 years in the league, nervous about playing the role that his body is suited for. A role that Lucic was great at in his prime. When he was the same age as Jake is now.

12 hours ago, Dogcrazy said:

According to the fans, Demko has free pass until he gets older in 2 , 3 years.  Switch goalies with the Flames and we would win all the games vs them this year.  Who knows if Marky will be bad in year 4, 5 or 6 into the contract, but look at now and the near future of our team without a legit established #1 in net.  

In fairness to Demko, we had to endure 3 years of Marky sucking and the team not making the playoffs for 4 years. Markstrom got the contract he wanted (deserved?) after a couple of good years, and we could just not match due to cap (regardless of who's fault that is, here come the Benning haters). 

I have a good feeling that Demko will develop faster than Marky did, and we could see some success still this season. If it's an off year, I see us making the show next year for sure with Pods coming and some old contracts off the books. 

All pure speculation until I get my crystal ball fixed.

Miller was the team's best player last year (aside from Marky). He was intense, gritty and gave his all to win. More of a captain than Bo was/is. This year his effort is off. He doesn't backcheck like he should be, his battle is inconsistent, his passes have been off, tons of giveaways. He has gotten points, but even he said he's been fortunate to play on the top lines and get the minutes. Without Miller being Miller, and IMO Pettersson taking a step back, suddenly the Canucks offence isn't so scary. Combine that with poor D play and average goaltending. It's a recipe for disaster. The Canucks need Miller to wake the F up.  

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

I agree. I think the real excuse (if you want to call it that) is the fact that the Canucks had a very condensed schedule to start the year. 18 games in 25 days? No time to gel with new players, no time for practice etc. 

They have been playing better the past 3 days and that is probably because they have had a day or 2 off between games.

• Upvote 1

Terrible decisions and puck management cost us the game.  That's obvious.  But underneath that, we played better than they did.  Hoglander and Juolevi both had strong games.  We should still try to make the playoffs with this lineup but if we don't and those two establish themselves as the kind of players they're looking like right now, it won't be the worst thing.  Our window opens for real in 2022 when all the overpriced talent leaves and we can fill in properly around our young core.  It's good that the team raised expectations with the playoff run last summer, but we were never going to be a serious contender with this lineup. 

4 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

2 penalties that have completely disappeared are embellishment and obstruction

seems like our opponents have taken advantage of that fact  

it slows the game down and will hurt the league in the long run 

Well all i can say is 50% of their calls are so weak you'd think it was peewee hockey or something.   If you've forgotten what it used to be like, when obstruction was an issue, i'd suggest spending 5-10 minutes watching Mario Lemuiex highlights... and once your done that - just for fun spend about the same watching Lindros highlights, wasn't many players built for that era, both those guys would score a ridiculous amount of points in today's game - same with Bure, Selanne, Federov, Salic, Forsberg and even Naslund.    Wasn't easy back then, a few pick plays here and there ... players aren't really faster these days, the game is faster because of one extra pass not needed with guys climbing all over your back, no redline and 1/20th the obstruction.   How many times did you see Babych just with one hand grab a guys sleeve and pull him wherever he wanted?   Or late McCabe use his can opener?   All the time.

Edit:  Also today finishing your check gets a tick in the hit column.   Watch what Lindros used to do ... want to see a 220lb defenseman fly 20 feet and hit the boards?   The game is so tame now in comparison.   It's faster for sure.   EP would find out without an enforcer in the lineup not much chance of survival,  and QHs would be a forward. 

Edited by IBatch

43 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I have heard now for as many years as Jake has been with the team how big and strong he is.  And I have seen locker room shots of his upper body and yeah, the guy's got guns.

But why does he STILL play like a shy rookie most of the time?  We are lucky to get one or two nice hits from him a game. Someone here noticed the comparison of Lucic and Virtanen during the GDT.  How Lucic just seems so much bigger and powerful next to Jake.  Now Jake is smaller, but not nearly as much as he looks on the ice when on the ice at the same time.

Jake, 6' 1",  226

Lucic, 6' 3"  231

A lot has to do with how confident he throws his body around, and gets into rough areas. The eye test makes him look much smaller. And the same goes when he goes against other team's tougher customers around his size. Jake just has always looked smaller on the ice, even though he's not a small boy. Its all body language. He seems still, after 6 years in the league, nervous about playing the role that his body is suited for. A role that Lucic was great at in his prime. When he was the same age as Jake is now.

I don't think he ever fully recovered from his shoulder injury. He was touted as a good hitter but that's gone now.

[“He brings meanness and ruggedness and we’re trying to change the culture and he’s a piece of the puzzle,the Vancouver Canucks general manager said Friday after selecting the Abbotsford native sixth overall in the NHL draft.
Virtanen had a sublexed shoulder during the season and suffered the same ailment at the end of the regular season and in the playoffs. "Once a shoulder is dislocated, the joint can become unstable and prone to future dislocations or subluxations." He had surgery a month ago and told The Province that doctors said the progression of flexibility and strength will only get better over time. Virtanen impressed at the draft combine and in follow-up interviews with the Canucks and whispers they were leaning that way only got louder as this week progressed.]

I don't think it's gotten better over time. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1