The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Calgary Lames | February 15, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN1, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

4 minutes ago, rekker said:

Gotta keep it simple. All to often the team tries the difficult play, hence the turnovers. More North South hockey please. 

I liked the creativity this game actually.

When they were zipping the puck around and making plays they looked confident and dangerous.

Their problem IMO comes down to forcing plays that aren’t there too much and not taking shots when they have them. 

Way too many times they pass one too many times when they need to just get a shot and rebound. Also somebody needs to be a consistent net front presence other than Boeser.

Edited by DeNiro

6 minutes ago, Dirtman said:

We need more from Bo and Miller. Thought it was a decent game but man we gotta stop that 2nd period collapse. Brutal. PP was so disjointed too.

I'm also getting tired of Virtanen's flashes of playing his size.

*more physically from Bo.

I thought Miller looked strong tonight.

Jake... 

26 minutes ago, khay said:

Overall, not a bad game but we can't be giving goals away like we did today. 

All of our goals had to be hard earned by making good plays. They got 2 freebies.

How many breakaways did we have? How many for Calgary?

We need to tighten up.

Flames got all 3 goals off of our giveaways in regulation, including Schmidt's. The others were by Bo and Miller.

• Cheers 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

I liked the creative this game actually.

When they were zipping the puck around and making plays they looked confident and dangerous.

Their problem IMO comes down to forcing plays that aren’t there too much and not taking shots when they have them. 

Way too many times to pass one too many times when they need to just get a shot and rebound. Also somebody needs to be a consistent net front presence other than Boeser.

Team is really starting to gel now. We were all over them most of the game. Getting to pucks first. Winning battles. Marky is so tough to beat.

I’ve supported Jake for 6 years or whatever is now. I like the physicality he brought tonight but the guy is almost a veteran now. He can’t be so indecisive with the puck and I’m not talking just about the one that ended up in the net. Gotta be one of the frustrating players I’ve seen

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Team is really starting to gel now. We were all over them most of the game. Getting to pucks first. Winning battles. Marky is so tough to beat.

Which is exactly why they need somebody willing to get in front of him.

Every good team has a guy that earns his living driving the goalie crazy. We need to be developing that guy now.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I know man. Im having difficulty letting go.

Toffoli was a trade i would dream about before it happened. . I literally used to imagine him on the canucks via trade...

Complete 200ft player. . Leader..cup  champion. 

yeah, Toffoli would have been nice to have.

IMHO Tanev hurts more.  Our problem is D and goaltending more than it is goal scoring.

Tanev would settle Hughes down, and having Tanev would lessen the roles of some of the other d men who are prone to brain farts and freezing like deer in headlights when the pressure is on.  People are getting on hughes for making mistakes but thats what happens when you are in your second year and the coach has you out there for half the bloody game playing in a system that really doesnt facilitate solid team defence.

Just now, oldnews said:

It depends on who/what you're referring to as an upgrade - relative to.

But let's give Schmidt the benefit of his actual outcomes here.

36.5% ozone starts.

49.0% corsi

3.3 on ice goals for per 60

2.7 against

2:37/game pk minutes.

He only has 3 pts, but he's +3.

He's also 2nd to Myers in blocked shots.

So he's effectively playing shutdown minutes - and the team is winning both the possession battle and his goal metrics are very good/they're winning the 'scoring battle' as well with him on the ice.  There's room for improvement - but those are outcomes you generally take.

I'm a fan.

Coaches are leaning on him really hard right now. Tough matchups. Lots of D zone starts. Mistakes are so obvious and costly on D.

He's in no way a problem on this team moving forward. I feel he's part of the solution.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

I’ve supported Jake for 6 years or whatever is now. I like the physicality he brought tonight but the guy is almost a veteran now. He can’t be so indecisive with the puck and I’m not talking just about the one that ended up in the net. Gotta be one of the frustrating players I’ve seen

Look at what Alex Tuch or Tom Wilson turned into. Jake has the tools but no tool box. Just a complete disappointment.