The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Calgary Lames | February 15, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN1, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

Just now, DeNiro said:

Which is exactly why they need somebody willing to get in front of him.

Every good team has a guy that earns his living driving the goalie crazy. We need to be developing that guy now.

Almost looked like the boys were over respecting a bit tonight. Not a lot of late stick work. Not really digging and mucking for rebounds. No borderline contact in the crease etc.....

• Cheers 1

Just now, Darius said:

yeah, Toffoli would have been nice to have.

IMHO Tanev hurts more.  Our problem is D and goaltending more than it is goal scoring.

Tanev would settle Hughes down, and having Tanev would lessen the roles of some of the other d men who are prone to brain farts and freezing like deer in headlights when the pressure is on.  People are getting on hughes for making mistakes but thats what happens when you are in your second year and the coach has you out there for half the bloody game playing in a system that really doesnt facilitate solid team defence.

Defense is a team game. Forwards have to help just as Dmen. 200ft players are very hard to find. Horvat is one of those.. 

Once you get your hands on a gem like that you dont ket it go.

• Cheers 1

The current pp setup has 3 forwards high so the opposition knows Quinn won’t shoot as he has no screen and nobody to tip or knock in a rebound 

what happens them is they take away the miller and ep shots

so all we so is play pass between ep, hughes and miller and they gladly let us do it 

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yes which is why i said it is both obvious and uncreative. ;)

your claim that EP or Hughes are best 'with a full head of steam' is not an argument against the drop pass - which in no way prevents a 'full head of steam'

your criticism makes no sense.

and you're under the impression that it's a Brown playbook thing - which is false - but what's even weaker is to attempt to sandbag the Devils, winners of multiple Stanley Cups.

That virtually every team in the NHL employs it must be evidence that it's a failing strategy.

they're actually having more problems with guys like EP, Hughes, Miller attempting to force a controlled entry, with 'a full head of steam' and going 1 on multiple defenders, leading to lost possession and retrieving the puck from behind their net.

Edited by oldnews

6 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

The next Patrick Stefan or Alexandre Daigle will fall on our lap

The Sedins were the top two guys in their draft year.  Both likely hall of famers.  And there were ALOT of duds in that draft (including Stefan of course).  Luck of the Irish (Burke) + hard work getting that other pick by him.

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Defense is a team game. Forwards have to help just as Dmen. 200ft players are very hard to find. Horvat is one of those.. 

Once you get your hands on a gem like that you dont ket it go.

No argument from me, I’m just saying if I had to pick a guy to come back it would be Tanev 

oh well its not like any of them are coming back lol

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

I'm a fan.

Coaches are leaning on him really hard right now. Tough matchups. Lots of D zone starts. Mistakes are so obvious and costly on D.

He's in no way a problem on this team moving forward. I feel he's part of the solution.

yeah - the thing I really like about Schmidt is that he's always dead set intent on moving the puck immediately.  he makes mistakes, but he also makes decisions so quickly that he's a real asset to the transition game, and he creates a 'tone' of moving the puck rapidly, with intent.   His first pass is usually quite good.   I think we'll have to live with the odd mistake - it's part of being a puck moving defenseman.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I liked the creativity this game actually.

When they were zipping the puck around and making plays they looked confident and dangerous.

Their problem IMO comes down to forcing plays that aren’t there too much and not taking shots when they have them. 

Way too many times they pass one too many times when they need to just get a shot and rebound. Also somebody needs to be a consistent net front presence other than Boeser.

It's almost funnier just to watch the negativity.

Know what I mean?

I mean this team will never be based on anything anyone believes about how much they know about hockey. It's all about negativity and Twitter accounts. what a sad sack of non believers.

• Cheers 1