The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Calgary Lames | February 15, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN1, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I liked the creativity this game actually.

When they were zipping the puck around and making plays they looked confident and dangerous.

Their problem IMO comes down to forcing plays that aren’t there too much and not taking shots when they have them. 

Way too many times they pass one too many times when they need to just get a shot and rebound. Also somebody needs to be a consistent net front presence other than 

Yip. Way to many times trying to force a play or pass. Or trying one on three entries. 

19 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Wow someone's grumpy.   One thing you didn't mention, which id for sure agree on, is JB's roster, which any GM would have filled up with placeholders - because that's what they do (see Detroit, see OTT) during a traditional rebuild which for sure this is.    His biggest mistake, LE, for sure made it almost impossible to have a window during EP and QHs ELCs.   Not to mention Luongo...that's not really a mistake either given it gave the team a chance at a cup, but it for sure came at a cost too. Bear's contract at the time was considered fair - not his fault he got concussed and lost his spot though is it?

Now for the kicker.   When a GM has a chance at a blue chip player like OEL, you don't take it lightly.   I really don't care how things unravelled during this off season, only Tanev was a player i'd have kept, but not on that deal either.    Was rooting for him NOT to sign ANY of them, because as a manager it made the most logic as far as getting this club over the top later.   With all three in the lineup we win exactly one game during the playoffs.   TT was a rental, fair price - cost paid in full despite no fans in their seats, that was a fabulous playoffs for our young core.   Go check out Lindens first playoff, or the Sedins...Linden was great actually but we of course had to play one of the top three teams in the league at the time and lost.    Sedins had one good playoff their entire career and one ok one - that's it - over 16 years or so. 

The other kicker is JB was one year off in his timing, if either EP or QHs took an extra year ... well maybe then we'd have the luxury to retain Tanev.   TT is so overrated on this site it's shameful and embarrassing.   Yes he's a solid MIDDLE six player.   Ideally a third liner, but good enough to move up when required.   He's not a star.   TT would be an upgrade on Pearson, that's about it.   At this point like i said, of those two, i'd rather sign Pearson at 3.5 x 4 then TT at 4 x 4.25.   Of the two Pearson plays a slightly heavier game (which doesn't say anything at all because BB plays a heavier game - at least he took hits to make plays during the playoffs - what did TT do?).   TT is a streaky oppurtinistic player.     Take away his games against Vancouver - and one other good game - and he's done little else for MTL so far, and expect things wouldn't be much different here.

Sure i'd love to have all three in a non-cap world.   That said i'm sure JB can find a better way to spend 75 million over the next 4-6 years too.    If he does not - then i will be just as unhappy as you are apparently now - over losing a guy who played 13ish games for us overall... wow. 

Edit: Forgot to mention, if JB was a year off on when these guys came in, no 17 games for us to watch either.   I for one, won't be surprised when our "expensive" bottom six, isn't so easy to replace.   Another kicker - we won't win without guys like these too.   Fortunately there should be enough money to retain or find guys equal to the task, but it won't come as cheap as people seem to think either.   TB waived TJ, Stastny played a lot of fourth line for Vegas .... what were they paying him again?  Stastny/Schmidt vs AP plus a depth player hmmm... not a slam dunk. 

For sure 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Schmautzie said:

Except Benning added Holtby at the same salary Toffoli signed for. Who would you rather have on the team now ?

And to answer Holtby ten out of ten times given the ED and the length of his contract.   Only guys ahead of him were Markstrom and Lehner right? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

Team simply can not string wins together 

we win 1 game and it seems like we don’t have the requirement to play 60 the next game

its a pattern to the point it is predictable 

the Travis Green country club atmosphere 

this is why this team needs a serious culture change 

we are not going the playoffs under Green and if the owner is good with that then fantastic. I hope he has deep pockets to fund a huge deficit next year when nobody buys season’s tickets to watch a tire each night 

Your posts are sometimes accurate.   Sometimes.   This isn't one of them though.   

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

What happened to the league? Guys who embellished consistently used to get a reputation. 

While nowadays Tkachuk is constantly rewarded for making a mockery of the sport.

Slewfoot Juolevi, unexpectedly crosscheck Virtanen after the whistle, go after a rookie (hog) after the whistle, and most the time you can't do anything about it because Tkachuk won't answer for it & he'll flop for the call if you take it into your own hands.

And the refs continue to give him the benefit!!! Unbelievable

The refs stopped calling diving penalties so nobody would get fined/suspended anymore. 

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

The refs stopped calling diving penalties so nobody would get fined/suspended anymore. 

2 penalties that have completely disappeared are embellishment and obstruction

seems like our opponents have taken advantage of that fact  

it slows the game down and will hurt the league in the long run 

Edited by canuck2288
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

8 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I agree, maybe once the defensive team gets the puck, if they can’t clear, no review.

when they introduced the rule I came up with a fun scenario: SCF game 7. Canucks down by 1 when the Bruins enter our zone with 30 seconds left, they’re offside but it’s missed, they hem us in and with 5 seconds left I get the puck (yeah, it’s just a scenario so yes I’m on the team and also very smart) and put it into my own net, everyone freaks but I tell the coach to challenge and the goal is called off due to off side and clock is reset to 30 seconds. We then tie it up and win in OT.

I'ma just assume you are talking Nate Schmidts roster spot

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

2 penalties that have completely disappeared are embellishment and obstruction

seems like our opponents have taken advantage of that fact  

it slows the game down and will hurt the league in the long run 

how'd ya like that Myers penalty on little Johny Hockey fall down go boom

9 hours ago, Vancan2021 said:

Chill folks! 

This is the best core we've had in recent memory. 

A little dead weight will be gone soon, with money available. 

Sorry we over achieved during the Covid cup this summer. 

It's just a sighn of things to come... Emphasis on things to come. 

This team is built and will be a 2022+ team. 

Stop the BS and crying till then. 

who will form the defense in 2022?

26 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

All 3 regulation GA were preventable last night.

Jake had 2 chances to make a play along the boards on the first goal

Horvat made a bad play then Benn misplayed the 2-1 on the second

Then the third is an own goal

They played well, just shot themselves in the foot. Sucks to lose like that. 

that boner was the killer. I feel bad for Nate. 

Calgary threw everything they could at us and they only won because we &^@#ed up. And we still got a point. I'll take it. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, Roberts said:

demko did not impress tonight. they needed a couple more saves 

that can be said about any G on any team who lets in 1 G tho...Goalies are human, team needs to play better in front of the G and not make boneheaded plays with the puck....guess they are just following the cap hit leader tho and scoring on their own net!