The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Hurricanes trade Alex Galchenyuk to Maple Leafs for Egor Korshkov, David Warsofsky

6 hours ago, Provost said:

I feel like I missed something.  Why not pick him up on waivers unless Carolina is picking up some salary?

Does Toronto need to shed contracts that badly that they wouldn't pick up up unless they could drop a minor leaguer and a prospect?  Do they want the depth for their taxi squad and didn't want him unless they could have him not on the active roster?  That is a pretty smal advantage since they couldn't move him back and forth from the taxi squad without clearing waivers.

This is the explanation I heard.  Carolina had already sent him down to their ahl team.  He was technically traded from that ahl team to the Marlies.  He has already cleared waivers.  He does not take up a leaf roster spot and his salary does not count towards the team cap.  If they had claimed him off waivers he would need to stay on the leaf nhl roster or need to be waived again to be moved.  The leafs want him for depth and want their staff to spend some time working with him first before he is recalled to the nhl team.

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, ImConfused said:

Egor who and David what??

Yeesh

Korshkov

A 31st overall pick.

One of the stockpiles the genius and Spamaplan were going to use to dominate the NHL forever!

11 picks that year....but they nailed the 1st overallololol!!!!!

Anyhow - this is a strange deal imo.  Why they had to give up Korshkov (who has 31pts in the KHL and is one of their better two way prospects) is curious.

I also have to wonder whether:

a) Dubas continues to not give a crap about what his coaches want/need (as was patently and publicly obvious was the case with Babcock), or

b) Galchenyuk is a Manny project.

As per Elliotte Friedman in his 31 Thoughts:

12. The Alex Galchenyuk trade is a sign the Jimmy Vesey experiment is in trouble. Both players have salaries that can be stashed on the taxi squad/in the AHL, if necessary. It also drops the Maple Leafs from 47 contracts to 46 (maximum 50). Flexibility is never negative.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/31-thoughts-tavares-gagner-blazing-trail-minor-hockey-involvement/