The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Lames | February 17, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN1, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

I thought the Canucks played a pretty good game last night. Just a couple mistakes that went into our net but I thought we pushed the play. Boys are still trending in the right direction. Huge game here. Would love to see us take out the flames in their building. Get some confidence outside Rogers 

• Vintage 3

1 minute ago, knucklehead91 said:

Im gunna have to disagree with you here. Horvat HAS been throwing his weight around the last few games. He crushed a few lames players last night. Something he usually doesnt do, but he was definitely finishing checks last night and the previous game

Fair enough. I hope that he continues to trend in that direction. I'm not asking that he becomes Motte and hits everything in sight, but setting the tone as a captain is important for this young team. 

• Cheers 4

15 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Agree completely about Jakes shift with Tkthunk, he looked ready to go and had him in a good grip ready to start feeding him but thought of the possible PP coming for Van. I hope Jake absolutely levels the guy then kicks his ass after. Nothing would make me happier. 

Yes.  It makes me laugh to listen to people in here blaming the loss on Virtanen.  It's absurd.  Even that goal that came after he did not clear (was doubled virtually instantly by Mackey and Lucic) - there were a string of failed clears and errors that culminated in that goal - Virtanen's at worst, was the 3rd worst 'error' on that play....

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Yes.  It makes me laugh to listen to people in here blaming the loss on Virtanen.  It's absurd.  Even that goal that came after he did not clear (was doubled virtually instantly by Mackey and Lucic) - there were a string of failed clears and errors that culminated in that goal - Virtanen's at worst, was the 3rd worst 'error' on that play....

Yeah our team collective defensive break downs are reminiscent of that stretch last year when Marky was stealing or keeping them in every game. Was about a month of it, sloppy passes and people not taking a guy in our zone. Or four guys on our goal line as two guys sit wide open in front of our goalie. They can play so much better than this, and it will be just fixing all those little things. Gotta start with the passes IMO back to the basics here. Too many no look passes! 

36 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Agreed. I see more physical play out of Virtanen and Miller than Horvat. Should the captain not set the tone for the entire team? If so, Bo seemingly wants to set a tone of passivity. 

The snowshower forecheck drives me nuts.

He has an opportunity to put the body on a Lame D - and he does the LE.  Unacceptable.

Hoglander has been a bloody puck hound - all over the ice - takeaways, winning board battles, creating a whole lot of space drawing attention both in the zone and on the rush - and Horvat and Pearson are taking next to no advantage of it.   8 even strength points for Horvat and Pearson in 19 games....is not very good.

When is that last time you saw Horvat bull his way to the net?  I have a hard time recalling - might almost have to go back to the St Louis series for highlights.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Horvat was never a hitting type player. He’s never had more then 70 hits in the season. That was never his game. Don’t quite understand what people expect 

shatter good time GIF by A24When he looks at a player - this is what should happen... The Linden. 

17 minutes ago, oldnews said:

This really is a young star fanboy market.

Love to fluff the 'stars' endlessly. 

But don't have the vision, or sense, to see the obvious limits of their young players.

"EP is an elite shutdown center".  

"Hughes is a #1 - already had one of the best seasons for a Canucks D all-time."

Hughes last night - does not have the sense to get tf off the ice - taking arrogant ridiculously long double shifts - and in the end - he took an exposed, exhaustion penalty that resulted in the game-winning overtime powerplay goal.   But....it's all Green or Baumgartner's fault.   Don't have the sense or guts to name it what it is - a young "star" making mistakes.   Instead of realizing that 20 year olds tend to come with growing pains - Vancouver deludes itself that players like Hughes are 'in their prime', ready to carry this team, and being dragged down by overpriced veterans.  What an absolute noob take.  This market fluffs them endlessly and prematurely - and does a disservice in the process.  What courage and analytical genius it takes to fanboy the stars.

Get off the ice and stop disrespecting your team-mates Quinn.  Ironically, they tied the game up with you in the box.  That's an important learning window.

EP - lacking confidence - not taking shots - faking that one timer on the powerplay time and time again - but....it's all Brown's fault.   I'm not going to bother to post EP's outcomes - they're no more flattering than Hughes (if as).  There's no point in being critical - the young guy is a brilliant talent that works hard and bleeds frustration due to his desire to play at the top of his game - at both ends of the ice.  I have nothing but patience for him - but realistically - he too still needs to play with a foundation.

This team needs it's Motte, Beagle, Sutter, Edler types far more than it realizes.

This market was oblivious to how much it needed Tanev - that would be my main critical point regarding the offseason - Tanev imo should have been priority #1.

That said - there is no deadline to find a partner for Hughes.  Yeah - he's going through some growing pains playing with an 8th man, a LHD in Benn (and a rusty Hamonic before him).   That remains the top priority for the franchise imo - whether they acquire a young RHD, or potentially have that player already in the system. 

I am looking forward to seeing what Tryamkin looks like beside Hughes - that may be one 'ace' that influenced those decisions...

we also need our stars and we don't need them to be disrespected. they are young and learning, Tanev plays for the flames now,   we have our players and yes there are going to be mistakes, not every game is perfect! GO CANUCKS GO!!

• Cheers 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

shatter good time GIF by A24When he looks at a player - this is what should happen... The Linden. 

Haha I know I get it. I feel partly it’s fans wanting him to be something he’s not and partly that Bo does need to be stronger on the puck drive to net etc. It’s a bit of both but if we are talking straight up hitting it’s never really been his game 

15 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Fair enough. I hope that he continues to trend in that direction. I'm not asking that he becomes Motte and hits everything in sight, but setting the tone as a captain is important for this young team. 

100% agree with ya, I hope it continues to be part of his game because it will be very effective over the course of a season/playoff series if EVERYONE is finishing their checks. Not everyone has to be like Double D’s or Motte. Grinding the opposition down into a pulp will only open up the ice for the talent to takeover.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

The snowshower forecheck drives me nuts.

He has an opportunity to put the body on a Lame D - and he does the LE.  Unacceptable.

Hoglander has been a bloody puck hound - all over the ice - takeaways, winning board battles, creating a whole lot of space drawing attention both in the zone and on the rush - and Horvat and Pearson are taking next to no advantage of it.   8 even strength points for Horvat and Pearson in 19 games....is not very good.

When is that last time you saw Horvat bull his way to the net?  I have a hard time recalling - might almost have to go back to the St Louis series for highlights.

Pretty much. I remember how merciless the Kings forecheck was during its prime. It backed the defense up and hemmed them in their own end. The Lames defense doesn't really scream hard to play against from a physical standpoint, so I'm not sure why the snowshower is used instead of taking the man. Nils' approach is the best. If the entire team adapted that approach, they'd stand a much better chance of generating scoring chances, especially the greasy goals that work on Markstrom.

• Cheers 1