The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Value of Dougie Hamilton (Discussion/Proposal)

11 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

This I find ridiculous Jan. Schmidt has played 19 games for us. Perhaps in this f**cked up, COVID cap crunch season where there was no time for camp, pre-season gelling etc. we give the guy a chance?

Sure, I will give him a chance............he is not crap

But Hamilton is way better

And signing Hamilton, lets you move Schmidt for improvements else where

Or you keep Schmidt if Seattle takes Myers...............Hamilton, Schmidt, and Tryamkin doesn't make you tingly inside

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The only two guys that fit your description to a tee are Brandon Carlo and Erik Cernak.  Carlo is unavailable but Cernak may be had depending on Tampa's cap issue in the summer.  If Benning wants to go after only one player this summer it should be Erik Cernak.  He is the perfect partner for Quinn Hughes.  And our #1 priority is to find a partner for Hughes so we can get the best out of him.  Playing with Jordie Benn is not getting the best out of Hughes.  Tanev would have helped tremendously this year but Benning decided not to give any UFA's long term deals, so he's gone.  

Too late on Cernak in all likelihood - at this point Foote might be more realistic.

Those aren't the only two - that is awfully reductive. There are lots of D I'd consider...

Tanev :ph34r:

Pesce

Larsson

Severson

Ristolainen

Petry

Savard

Mayfield

Whitecloud

Myers (Philippe)

Timmins

Manson

Stralman

Roy

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Too late on Cernak in all likelihood - at this point Foote might be more realistic.

Those aren't the only two - that is awfully reductive. There are lots of D I'd consider...

Pesce

Larsson

Severson

Ristolainen

Petry

Savard

Mayfield

Whitecloud

Myers (Philippe)

Timmins

Manson

Stralman

Roy

Thoughts on Montour? He’ll be 27 in FA I think. RD that logs a lot of minutes. 

53 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

@Fanuck

@oldnews

Can you name me the top ten defensemen voted on the Norris Trophy in 2020..

2020...........7th in voting...........26 years old

2019.........14th in voting...........25 years old

2018.........14th in voting...........24years old

2017...........9th in voting...........23 years old

2016..........Missed

Yeah, he is not very good! :picard:

Yawn.

1 Roman Josi 29 NSH D 1499 88.18 109 52 9 0 0 16 49 65 22 6.1 4.8 0.0 10.9
2 John Carlson 30 WSH D 1267 74.53 56 83 23 2 5 15 60 75 12 7.2 3.5 0.0 10.7
3 Victor Hedman 29 TBL D 820 48.24 4 25 104 27 4 11 44 55 27 4.7 4.8 0.0 9.5
4 Alex Pietrangelo 30 STL D 527 31.00 1 9 24 104 22 16 36 52 11 4.8 4.3 0.0 9.1
5 Jaccob Slavin 25 CAR D 138 8.12 0 1 5 15 61 6 30 36 30 2.2 5.7 0.0 7.9
6 Shea Theodore 24 VEG D 39 2.29 0 0 1 7 13 13 33 46 12 4.2 3.9 0.0 8.1
7 Dougie Hamilton 26 CAR D 35 2.06 0 0 2 5 10 14 26 40 30 4.0 4.6 0.0 8.6
8 Zach Werenski 22 CBJ D 23 1.35 0 0 0 5 8 20 21 41 9 4.4 4.8 0.0 9.1
9 Cale Makar 21 COL D 23 1.35 0 0 0 2 17 12 38 50 12 4.8 2.9 0.0 7.7
10 Charlie McAvoy 22 BOS D 14 0.82 0 0 1 1 6 5 27 32 24 1.8 5.1 0.0 6.9
11 Esa Lindell 25 DAL D 5 0.29 0 0 1 0 0 3 20 23 5 0.6 4.7 0.0 5.4
12 Anthony DeAngelo 24 NYR D 5 0.29 0 0 0 1 2 15 38 53 12 5.2 3.2 0.0 8.4
12 Miro Heiskanen 20 DAL D 5 0.29 0 0 0 1 2 8 27 35 14 2.4 5.4 0.0 7.8
14 Seth Jones 25 CBJ D 5 0.29 0 0 0 0 5 6 24 30 10 1.9 4.6 0.0 6.5
15 Quinn Hughes 20 VAN D 3 0.18 0 0 0 0 3 8 45 53 -10 4.2 2.3 0.0 6.5
15 Shea Weber 34 MTL D 3 0.18 0 0 0 0 3 15 21 36 8 3.4 3.8 0.0 7.3
17 Kris Letang 32 PIT D 2 0.12 0 0 0 0 2 15 29 44 0 4.0 3.4 0.0 7.4
17 Ivan Provorov 23 PHI D 2 0.12 0 0 0 0 2 13 23 36 11 2.8 4.3 0.0 7.1
19 Jonas Brodin 26 MIN D 1 0.06 0 0 0 0 1 2 26 28 15 1.2 4.0 0.0 5.2
19 Zdeno Chara 42 BOS D 1 0.06 0 0 0 0 1 5 9 14 26 0.1 5.0 0.0 5.1
19 Drew Doughty 30 LAK D 1 0.06 0 0 0 0 1 7 28 35 -16 2.1 3.3 0.0 5.4
19 Torey Krug 28 BOS D 1 0.06 0 0 0 0 1 9 40 49 -4 4.3 2.3 0.0 6.7
19 Jared Spurgeon 30 MIN D 1 0.06 0 0 0 0 1 12 20 32 -1 2.7 2.6 0.0 5.4

Norris votes (from highlight reel media) doesn't mean that player - at that price - would be a good fit here.

Er, DeAngelo was 12th in Norris voting...

There are a ton of players on that last that would not make sense here.

You have paragraphs of my explanation to refer to if you're confused about why I would pass on Hamilton - I couldn't care less about Norris voting.

There are a handful of players there that would make sense - but are generally pipe dreams.

One little additional factor you might need to consider:  "hey Dougie, how would you like to come man our 2nd powerplay unit?"    Sign all the free agents!

9 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Thoughts on Montour? He’ll be 27 in FA I think. RD that logs a lot of minutes. 

I like Montour as a player - but not as a fit here, at least not as a partner for Hughes.

One person I forgot to add to that list - perhaps the most obvious option at this point = Tryamkin.

18 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I like Montour as a player - but not as a fit here, at least not as a partner for Hughes.

One person I forgot to add to that list - perhaps the most obvious option at this point = Tryamkin.

I feel like Tryamkin-Schmidt could be a good pairing. Schmidt played hard 5v5 minutes with McNabb last year and Tryamkin brings in similar qualities. 

Could make for a solid matchup pairing if Tryamkin pans out right.

• Upvote 1

@oldnews

Norris votes (from highlight reel media) doesn't mean that player - at that price - would be a good fit here.

Er, DeAngelo was 12th in Norris voting...

There are a ton of players on that last that would not make sense here.

You have paragraphs of my explanation to refer to if you're confused about why I would pass on Hamilton - I couldn't care less about Norris voting.

There are a handful of players there that would make sense - but are generally pipe dreams.

One little additional factor you might need to consider:  "hey Dougie, how would you like to come man our 2nd powerplay unit?"    Sign all the free agents!

Well there are alot of players below Hamilton that I would like............you kind of make my point..........because,.............like you know, Hamilton is better than them

You might also want to consider that maybe Hamilton plays on the 1st PP also, like beside Quinn........heavens to bid, we have 2 defensemen on the 1st PP

Where is it written otherwise?

IMO, I think you look at the whole picture after the Expansion draft......is Myers gone? How much cap will we have? Have we been able to move players?

Have we been able to sign players (Tryamkin)........IMO, you look under all the rocks, and not get into this..."well this like Museums" kind of excuses, because no opne has ever said he is like DeAngelo in any way....It is not like Pettersson is not a little different.

And please take no offense, that I disagree with you, as I very much enjoy reading your opinions. I will also agree with you that in fact there may be someone better, but I am looking at all the different things, such as cost of the acquisition, who else goes in for Hughes if he is injured, size, +/-, pedigree (years in Norris voting), health/injury history, etc. Certainly, there are other players that would fit this criteria, but Hamilton would be a good one.

And it is not only that, but the fact that we could "possibly" move someone, again, that is subjective and for another discussion.

IMO, it is all about continually moving forward. Remember that bothe Tryamkin and Schmidt can play both sides. Wouldn't it be wonderful, if we could have bothe Rathbone and Woo play all 3 years in the AHL, before bringing them up! Or at least having them force their way onto the team. We have not been able to do that for along time, aka actually develop players in the minors. 

10 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well there are alot of players below Hamilton that I would like............you kind of make my point..........because,.............like you know, Hamilton is better than them.

Hamilton is better than Weber?  Seth Jones?  Because he got more votes from media? 

I can't rely on Norris voting to tell me who makes sense - and btw, that list is borderline ridiculous.   The Norris voting has become a joke.  It's a scoring race - a highligh reel fan's gig.

Players like Mark Giordano are not even in the top 20 lol.    You have complete liabilities on that list - being a competent NHL defenseman without the puck is evidently no longer really a criteria.  

24 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I feel like Tryamkin-Schmidt could be a good pairing. Schmidt played hard 5v5 minutes with McNabb last year and Tryamkin brings in similar qualities. 

Could make for a solid matchup pairing if Tryamkin pans out right.

Schmidt is playing hard minutes here as well.

37% ozone starts is 2nd lowest (Edler plays the hardest minutes).

Second unit pk D - only Edler and Myers kill more penalties.

Solid 'possession' and goal metrics in those minutes as well. 

Tied with Myers for the team lead with 31 blocked shots.

He'll look even better imo when the team adds another RHD - with Hamonic out (who was extremely rusty) - they're relying on Benn (the #8)  playing his off side...

Tryamkin is quite comfortable on his off side - I think he could be a great partner for Hughes - he's very mobile for his size, he moves the puck well (makes a good first pass), and the rest is obvious imo....

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Hamilton is better than Weber?  Seth Jones?  Because he got more votes from media? 

I can't rely on Norris voting to tell me who makes sense - and btw, that list is borderline ridiculous.   The Norris voting has become a joke.  It's a scoring race - a highligh reel fan's gig.

Players like Mark Giordano are not even in the top 20 lol.    You have complete liabilities on that list - being a competent NHL defenseman without the puck is evidently no longer really a criteria.  

Look, I talk to you as if you know something

So, you and I both know, what you said is true, to a point

but, having placed 4 years in a row, and having seen him my self on several occasions

I would not hesitate to say, he is very good, with and away from the puck

He is 6'6"  229 lbs....that in its self is a deterrent 

What I am saying is he certainly fits into the top 30 defensemen, that is for sure

and his even strength play is above average

Is he the only one....no

But again, before I made this thread I considered his stats, and credentials

I think he passes the sniff test

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Pesce

Larsson

Severson

Ristolainen

Petry

Savard

Mayfield

Whitecloud

Myers (Philippe)

Timmins

Manson

Stralman

Roy

All good choices but none of those players are the complete package like Carlo and Cernak.  Out of all those guys I’d probably go after Larsson as he’s a UFA and won’t cost any assets and his Swedish connection will fit well with the Canucks and with Edler on the back end.  I don’t have a problem with this defence for next year:

Hughes   Larsson

Edler       Schmidt

Juolevi    Myers

Tryamkin 

I think that defense could take us to the playoffs and fix some gaping holes.  Cernak would be the home run but Larsson would be a nice double.

Edited by Elias Pettersson

On 2/17/2021 at 3:31 AM, Fanuck said:

Apparently he's not really a 'team player '.  Doesn't gel with anyone and makes teammates uncomfortable.   He's talented,  yes, but would he fit the culture JB's been building?

I don't really buy that. The only story I heard is that when he's playing in other cities he prefers to go out by himself and visit museums instead of going out having dinner or hanging out with the team. I mean I would find a balance to do both but I would put sightseeing as my priority as well.

There's a time and place to go sightseeing and there's a time and place to just hang out with your team mates, the latter being in Winnipeg or Columbus of course 

Edited by iinatcc

Being able to offer a contract to Hamilton (or any big names UFA next season) relies on losing Myers to Seattle and probably moving Eriksson. Both very well may not happen.

In fact, if Seattle chooses someone like Lind and there is no reduction in our 2022 roster cap hit from the expansion draft, then the Canucks are again in some pretty serious cap trouble.

We would have to try and move an Eriksson, Roussel, Myers or Holtby just to resign our RFAs (Pettersson, Hughes, Juolevi, Gaudette, Demko) and be able to retain Edler and bring Podz onto an ELC. Our big UFA signing to partner Hughes may have to be......Benn (ouch).

We are actually in deep s%!# if Ferland comes off LTIR for next season to create a perfect storm. If that all happens then this is how it looks:

Start with $23.7m in cap space for the 2022 roster below

Pay for estimated $2.5m in performance bonus overages (space = $21.2m)

Buy out Eriksson (space = $23.2m)

2022 Roster=

Miller ___1___ Boeser

Hoglander Horvat ___2___

Ferland ___3____  Virtanen

Roussel Beagle Motte

(MacEwen)

___4__  ___5___

___6__ Schmidt

___7__ Myers

(Rathbone)

__8__ (Holtby)

Fill the above gaps with:

1. Pettersson $6.5m (bridge?)

2. Podkolzin $0.925

3. Gaudette $1.5m

4. Hughes $5.5m (bridge?)

5. Benn $1m

6. Edler $4m

7. Juolevi $1.5m

8. Demko $3.2m

Signing these 8 guys comes to $24.1m when we only had $23.2m space.

It suggests we really need to make a trade to move out Eriksson, Roussel, Myers or Holtby. Or we hope Seattle takes a Myers or Holtby sized contract....

19 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Being able to offer a contract to Hamilton (or any big names UFA next season) relies on losing Myers to Seattle and probably moving Eriksson. Both very well may not happen.

In fact, if Seattle chooses someone like Lind and there is no reduction in our 2022 roster cap hit from the expansion draft, then the Canucks are again in some pretty serious cap trouble.

We would have to try and move an Eriksson, Roussel, Myers or Holtby just to resign our RFAs (Pettersson, Hughes, Juolevi, Gaudette, Demko) and be able to retain Edler and bring Podz onto an ELC. Our big UFA signing to partner Hughes may have to be......Benn (ouch).

We are actually in deep s%!# if Ferland comes off LTIR for next season to create a perfect storm. If that all happens then this is how it looks:

Start with $23.7m in cap space for the 2022 roster below

Pay for estimated $2.5m in performance bonus overages (space = $21.2m)

Buy out Eriksson (space = $23.2m)

2022 Roster=

Miller ___1___ Boeser

Hoglander Horvat ___2___

Ferland ___3____  Virtanen

Roussel Beagle Motte

(MacEwen)

___4__  ___5___

___6__ Schmidt

___7__ Myers

(Rathbone)

__8__ (Holtby)

Fill the above gaps with:

1. Pettersson $6.5m (bridge?)

2. Podkolzin $0.925

3. Gaudette $1.5m

4. Hughes $5.5m (bridge?)

5. Benn $1m

6. Edler $4m

7. Juolevi $1.5m

8. Demko $3.2m

Signing these 8 guys comes to $24.1m when we only had $23.2m space.

It suggests we really need to make a trade to move out Eriksson, Roussel, Myers or Holtby. Or we hope Seattle takes a Myers or Holtby sized contract....

Hughes and Petey are getting at-least 7M. I'd be shook if they get anything less. 

Just now, KingRaj91 said:

Hughes and Petey are getting at-least 7M. I'd be shook if they get anything less. 

Hughes has no arb rights and Petey is having on off-year compared to his other years. Hughes hasn’t been great defensively either. 

Not too mention COVID and the flat cap. 

I’d be shocked if they got more than 7M particularly Hughes who’s $&!# out of luck when it comes to negotiations just like Boeser was. 

Both Petey and Hughes’s best bet is to take a backloaded bridge deal where they’re guaranteed a bigger raise on their next qualifying offer.  

1 hour ago, KingRaj91 said:

Which we will be able to afford only if we lose 1 or 2 of Eriksson, Roussel, Myers, Holtby...

...or perhaps we move on from Edler, but can you imagine our defense without Edler right now. He is a beast and still the #1D on our blue line. 

Without reading any replies - Hamilton for sure won't make less then Trouba - 8 million, and probably closer to AP type money.   That said he won't make it to market most likely anyways.   And if he does 8.5 x 7 is almost certainly rock bottom for him (unless he ends up in Florida, TB, Dallas or Vegas where taxes are way lower).   

Pipe dream.  Just like EK was - just like AP was.