The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Value of Dougie Hamilton (Discussion/Proposal)

On 2/16/2021 at 9:50 PM, YEGCanuck said:

Agree with Fanuck, I think Hamilton has been traded too many times to make me comfortable about him as a team player.

Context matters.   Go back and find out why Boston traded him in the first place - and why CAL did it too.   Zero locker room issues. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2021 at 10:26 PM, oldnews said:

Pass. 

Classic case of propped up by Norris quality partners.

Chara, Giordano, Slavvin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hamilton.

I put him in a class with a handful of other shiny assets / flavours of the week that I'm glad never wound up here...(Subban, Barrie, Karlson)

Not the partner I'd want for Hughes.

Hamilton isn't "propped up".   He was killing it and helping CAR a ton when he went down (and on his way to winning a Norris too).   He's legit.   That said it won't ever happen in a million years anyways - i will record myself eating my phone and post it if for some reason Hamilton becomes a Canuck this off season and post it. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2021 at 10:27 PM, janisahockeynut said:

I compare Hughes Offensive game to Hamilton's more rounded game.

Yes Hughes scores more points, but also gives up more

Hamilton has alot to offer, and is alot better than Schmidt

I am not married to the idea, but wanted to get perspective on it

Hamilton would make us bigger and better.......also keep in mind when Comparing Hughes and Hamilton

is that Hughes is still cost controlled because he is a RFA, where as Hamilton is not

We need to get bigger, everywhere and although ELC are king of the Cap era

Highly skilled Dmen are too!

For the small upgrade in cost, we get a better player and we get that asset we acquire when we trade Schmidt

I am not sure Benning has the skill to make this move, but it would really help us, IMO

It doesn't come down to JB skill to make a move - it's completely in CAR and Hamilton's court - so far CAR keeps saying they will sign him.   Then again looking at AP and St. Louis, you never know.  It would come down to how much money JB is willing to pay if Hamilton goes to market.   Not sure if that qualifies as a skill - but we would be saying goodbye to Edler plus something else in that case. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Hamilton isn't "propped up".   He was killing it and helping CAR a ton when he went down (and on his way to winning a Norris too).   He's legit.   That said it won't ever happen in a million years anyways - i will record myself eating my phone and post it if for some reason Hamilton becomes a Canuck this off season and post it. 

one-liners.

On 2/16/2021 at 6:20 PM, janisahockeynut said:

Dougie Hamilton 27 years old

RHD

6'6"       229 lbs

+/- Solid and in the positive

My suggestion is we sign him as a UFA this summer, if we can move one of Myers or Schmidt

More so Schmidt, who will bring in a kings ransom or slightly less

Cost? Hmmm? 7.5 Million Covid contract

Do we do it if we can clear cap? I would much rather have him that OEL that Benning was going after last summer

In this offseason, I’m wondering IF Virtanen can be used as a sweetener to get rid of Eriksson (remember, Eriksson will only have one year left and will only be owed 2 million in real dollars), maybe we WOULD have the money to take a legit run at Hamilton.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DarkIndianRises said:

In this offseason, I’m wondering IF Virtanen can be used as a sweetener to get rid of Eriksson (remember, Eriksson will only have one year left and will only be owed 2 million in real dollars), maybe we WOULD have the money to take a legit run at Hamilton.

1) Virtanen as a sweetener to move Eriksson

2) Myers claimed in the ED

3) Sign Hamilton

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Podkolzin

Roussel-Gaudette-MacEwen

Motte-Beagle-Bailey

Hughes-Hamilton

Tryamkin-Schmidt

Juolevi-[CheapVet]

Demko

Holtby

Management would likely need to add something to that forward group as the above forward group looks a little anemic.   Wonder if we'd have the cap space?   

to be honest, I think a guy like Adam Larsson might fit our needs better when you take the cap into consideration.  While Hamilton is a much better dman than Larsson, he’d likely be far more expensive as well.   Larsson is probably better defensively than Hamilton in terms of being a stay-at-home guy and so he’d fit a lot better with someone like Hughes.

Edited by DarkIndianRises

At his age, Hamilton is going to want big time $ and huge term +7yrs and a NMC.  It will become a problem as core players come up for RFA contracts, RFA bridge contracts and UFA contracts in the future.  It may also block future trades and UFA signings.

I would prefer management try to make a trade to a guy like Brandon Carlo as he is within the core age group, plays a tough physical game, is a good defensive player who is fantastic on the PP.  He would make a perfect partner for Hughes.

I don't know what Boston would want for him, as he is just coming up to his RFA at the end of the season.   I have no idea what the Bruins would want for him, or if the Nucks have the pieces.  Perhaps Virtanen + Tryamkin's rights + 2nd or 3rd?

Hughes   Carlo

Edler    Schmidt

Juolevi  Myers

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

At his age, Hamilton is going to want big time $ and huge term +7yrs and a NMC.  It will become a problem as core players come up for RFA contracts, RFA bridge contracts and UFA contracts in the future.  It may also block future trades and UFA signings.

I would prefer management try to make a trade to a guy like Brandon Carlo as he is within the core age group, plays a tough physical game, is a good defensive player who is fantastic on the PP.  He would make a perfect partner for Hughes.

I don't know what Boston would want for him, as he is just coming up to his RFA at the end of the season.   I have no idea what the Bruins would want for him, or if the Nucks have the pieces.  Perhaps Virtanen + Tryamkin's rights + 2nd or 3rd?

Hughes   Carlo

Edler    Schmidt

Juolevi  Myers

Oh come on Higgy, you know better

Carlo is >>>>>> more than Virtanen (3rd/4th liner) + Tryamkin (may come over, may be a 3rd paring) + a 2nd or 3rd

So our dregs for their 2nd or 3rd best Dman?

4 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Eriksson will be paid $4m actual money next season (with a $6m cap hit)

4 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

1) Virtanen as a sweetener to move Eriksson

2) Myers claimed in the ED

3) Sign Hamilton

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Podkolzin

Roussel-Gaudette-MacEwen

Motte-Beagle-Bailey

Hughes-Hamilton

Tryamkin-Schmidt

Juolevi-[CheapVet]

Demko

Holtby

Management would likely need to add something to that forward group as the above forward group looks a little anemic.   Wonder if we'd have the cap space?   

to be honest, I think a guy like Adam Larsson might fit our needs better when you take the cap into consideration.  While Hamilton is a much better dman than Larsson, he’d likely be far more expensive as well.   Larsson is probably better defensively than Hamilton in terms of being a stay-at-home guy and so he’d fit a lot better with someone like Hughes.

If we have $8m to spend on D, I would be targetting Edler + Savard. Two hard nosed vets that can play the hard minutes.

If, as you predict, Myers is selected by Seattle next season's D corp becomes:

Edler ($4m) Schmidt ($6m)

Hughes ($6m bridge) Savard ($4m)

Juolevi ($1.5m) Tryamkin ($2m)

(Rathbone Chatfield)

Edited by BigTramFan
  • Cheers 1

Wanted him a while ago but he's been passed around too much now. This off-season we've got Myers and Schmidt under contract. We need to sign Hughes and of course a bunch of other defencemen, likely a lot of young guys. Then we have to expose one defenceman who's played in the last couple of seasons with us, who's under contract. Unfortunately, that means exposing Myers/Schmidt (unless we re-sign Benn and expose him if he's played the amount of games required, or Hamonic ideally). There's a good chance we get Myers or Schmidt stolen from us so let's hope JB can sign someone before the ED who's good, but not better than Holtby to be taken.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2021 at 2:50 AM, YEGCanuck said:

Agree with Fanuck, I think Hamilton has been traded too many times to make me comfortable about him as a team player.

He would be the best (for now at least) defenseman on our team.  I am not sure in what world would you say no to bringing him in for nothing?  Obviously, we will not have the cap space to do this, but a top four of Hughes, Schmidt, and Hamilton + whoever is amazing.  Any GM that passes on Hamilton because he likes to go to museums rather than the bar with his teammates is an idiot.  If the guy makes your team better, you sign him.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, stuman491 said:

He would be the best (for now at least) defenseman on our team.  I am not sure in what world would you say no to bringing him in for nothing?  Obviously, we will not have the cap space to do this, but a top four of Hughes, Schmidt, and Hamilton + whoever is amazing.  Any GM that passes on Hamilton because he likes to go to museums rather than the bar with his teammates is an idiot.  If the guy makes your team better, you sign him.

I agree that Hamilton would be a huge addition to the team, but for how long and how much $?  Dougie is in his prime and there will be a lot of teams (American teams) that will be bidding for him.  Wherever he ends up, I would think his term will be at least 6yrs.  For Vancouver, it would likely come in around $8m X 7.  For the Canucks to do this, they would have to allow for the contract, the Canucks would have to either Schmidt or Myers and probably not re-sign Edler.

Hughes    -   Hamilton

Juolevi    -    Myers/Schmidt (would prefer to keep Schmidt, but relying on Seattle to pick Myers isn't a sure thing).

Rathbone  -  Hamonic?

Now the left side becomes weaker.   If Edler takes a significant cut in salary (and depending on what Hamonic wants); they may be able to squeeze Edler in, which makes the team defence much better.  The Hamilton term could become a problem later on when ELCs are becoming RFAs and the RFAs become UFAs with big $/term.  Hopefully he isn't signed with a full term NMC.

15 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I agree that Hamilton would be a huge addition to the team, but for how long and how much $?  Dougie is in his prime and there will be a lot of teams (American teams) that will be bidding for him.  Wherever he ends up, I would think his term will be at least 6yrs.  For Vancouver, it would likely come in around $8m X 7.  For the Canucks to do this, they would have to allow for the contract, the Canucks would have to either Schmidt or Myers and probably not re-sign Edler.

Hughes    -   Hamilton

Juolevi    -    Myers/Schmidt (would prefer to keep Schmidt, but relying on Seattle to pick Myers isn't a sure thing).

Rathbone  -  Hamonic?

Now the left side becomes weaker.   If Edler takes a significant cut in salary (and depending on what Hamonic wants); they may be able to squeeze Edler in, which makes the team defence much better.  The Hamilton term could become a problem later on when ELCs are becoming RFAs and the RFAs become UFAs with big $/term.  Hopefully he isn't signed with a full term NMC.

If Jimbo can get rid of Meyers I will be forever greatful.  Not that I think Meyers isn't a useful piece, he just isn't useful for that price, in the same way that Loui has not been useful for his price tag.  As much as I respect what Edler has done for this franchise, unless he is willing to sign for 1million for 1 year they have to walk away from him.  I doubt Seattle takes any defense as we can easily protect Shmidt and Hughes.  They can have anyone else they want.  Rathbone is protected because of his ELC. 

I realise this all a pipe dream and that we cannot afford Hamilton, but I sure would like our teams chanes next year with a player like him on our roster.

15 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I agree that Hamilton would be a huge addition to the team, but for how long and how much $?  Dougie is in his prime and there will be a lot of teams (American teams) that will be bidding for him.  Wherever he ends up, I would think his term will be at least 6yrs.  For Vancouver, it would likely come in around $8m X 7. 

I realise I didn't respond to the price tag.  I agree with you, he is probably going to get paid.  Perhaps with the flat cap he might not get a massive raise.  6.5 maybe 7.  Anything more than four years you walk away.  If the Canucks had cap space I would be okay with $7.5 Mill for four years. 

Realistically, 

1) How much would Hamilton cost?  (and in answering this question, please bare in mind the following:   Why would Hamilton leave a superior Carolina team to come to a Vancouver team, and city, that pays MUCH higher taxes and has a MUCH higher cost of living than Carolina?).

2) For some of the posters above, there's no way Carolina is trading Pesce unless it's a conversation involving Pettersson, Hughes, or Horvat.   It's just not realistic.   

Although Dougie Hamilton is a far sexier option than a guy like Adam Larsson per se, Larsson is still a top pairing dman and wouldn't break the bank.   Furthermore, he would fit our needs better (i.e. defensive defensemen).   A guy like Adam Larsson would allow us to keep our internal cap intact while bringing in a guy like Hamilton might have a "Tavares-like" effect (i.e. no one on our team "buys in" from a contract standpoint since Hamilton will have been paid major coinage).

Carolina is looking at Torey Krug's contract (6. 5 Million per) , & Dougie is looking at Alex Pietrangelo' contract at 8.8 Million per season. I'd be pretty shocked if a team comes in higher than 9 million per a season if he goes to UFA.

If we had all the cap space in the world, I wouldn't mind hitting the trigger at 7.8 million a season, but thats just me