The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | February 19, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP NHLN

Rate this topic

-SN-

Just now, High and Inside said:

Not sure how Forbert doesn’t get called for one of the three cross checks and then only gets a holding minor for attacking Hog again. There was a bunch of other missed calls too. 

It's blatantly negligent.

• Cheers 1

Just now, High and Inside said:

Not sure how Forbert doesn’t get called for one of the three cross checks and then only gets a holding minor for attacking Hog again. There was a bunch of other missed calls too. 

Both refs need to be terminated immediately and charged with criminal negligence.  Whether incompetence or corruption, it is too dangerous for the league to ever allow either of these dirtbags to work another game.  Simply unacceptable misconduct even for a league that refuses to hold problem refs accountable.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I always see Green talking to the refs. I’ve also seen him lose it on the team, not many times but he’s done it.

Maurice is one of the best and I don’t see him giving it to his team. He actually defends them a lot with media. Similar to Green.

Green might not be the right coach but you’re not really spitting facts here..

Talking to and losing it on the refs are 2 very different things 

when you stick up for your team to the refs it picks up the bench and fires the team up 

point to one time you have ever seen Green lose it on the refs. You can youtube the many times Maurice has 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rekker said:

I'm with Deb. This team needs a legit tough guy. It's time.

Absolutely.  Benning still needs to take the fine and insist both of the refs are sent to the US for the rest of the season if the league refuses to do the right thing and fire them for that garbage.  The NHL is lucky Hoglander wasn't seriously hurt, or the league would be defending itself for criminal negligence. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, rekker said:

This team is as soft as I've seen in years. This is on JB.

Is it though?

Beagle's had more of an edge, Myers has shown (Armia) that he can have an edge, we got MacEwen who'll fight, Hoglander has an edge (that we'll see more of I'm sure), Boeser/Miller/Pearson/Horvat/Sutter aren't scrappy but get into the dirty areas & win battles, and now we have Juolevi stepping up on guys in open ice. 

I do think we need to get MacEwen in the lineup full time, and replace guys like Jake/Loui. Plus Podkolzin will definitely help. 

5 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I disagree. I think it's on Green. We have guys that are tough. They're just never playing. All 4 of those guys can fight and will fight and are notorious for being team 1st guys. 

I actually think that's one thing Jim Benning has been exceptional at is acquiring depth guys for cheap that are gritty and can make an impact however they're severely overshadowed by the big contracts of Sutter, Beagle and Eriksson (obviously where JB has been brutal). 

Ultimately it's on coach though for not using the tools at his disposal. He's the lineup maker. 

I guess it depends what we are talking about by "soft". 

The only thing I'd fault Green on the toughness front is not dressing MacEwen every night, he's part of the future - we need him in there. Aside from that he's dressing the grit we have.. unless I'm totally blanking on someone, Chatfield has an edge but are you really taking Juolevi our right now? Not me.

Maybe Hawryluk? Wouldn't mind him getting a look. 

Great effort by the team but the Jets took advantage of the officiating tonight; if it is the same zebras, I hope they dont change it up and call the softies next game.   Tonight seems like a playoff game based on how the zebras was managing this game and (hopefully) the team would stop depending too much on the special teams...

We had some chances and got too cute sometimes but great effort - next game ! 

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

Talking to and losing it on the refs are 2 very different things 

when you stick up for your team to the refs it picks up the bench and fires the team up 

point to one time you have ever seen Green lose it on the refs. You can youtube the many times Maurice has 

Green is part of the problem. Done with him. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Miller's the only one who shows that "hate to lose" anger.  It's why I love the guy.

He is obviously frustrated with how things are going with this team.  Understandable when your teammates are playing a soft, "acceptable" game most nights.  Look like a bunch of individuals pretending to be a team. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pickly said:

The problem is team culture, Deb. It starts with leadership, enforced by coaching, and ends with players buying in. The Canucks have brought in players over the years to help them be a tougher team to play against but in the end it’s the culture is the Achilles heel. How do you change it? Well...it’s been an ongoing issues since the WCE era aside from a few players like Jeff Cowan, Darcy Hordichuk, and Derek Dorsett. 

Thing is, you have to have a guy (or two) with the killer instinct...and size helps too (although RR did just fine).   We have teddy bear nice guys and gentle giants.  I thought when we got Myers his size meant he'd be "that guy".  I actually thought Jordie Benn might have had a scary side to him...looked the part to me.  Nope.  Mac does...I've seen it.  He likes the rough stuff.   The guys who smile afterward.  We need more of those guys.  Ferland was going to give me hope.  Sigh.

I am so tired of no one who can crush guys who target Petey, Quinn, Hog.