The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | February 19, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP NHLN

Rate this topic

-SN-

45 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Umm...five career fights ... this years one he didn't have take his gloves off.   Three years ago his previous fight...Bet his size would be a deterrent, but for those frustrated with Gudbranson - and his 2 or so fights per year - wouldn't cross my fingers hoping he'd destroy anyone.. he's ok at it, but no Chara - more like Hall Gill, - get the ladder. 

These Tryamkin guys are hilarious. The same people that were appalled that someone suggest Tryamkin play like Pronger suggest he's this big deterrent or something. He's not. He hit hard at times when he was here, the rest of the time he's a pussy, and certainly doesn't use his size effectively as he could.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, JustRich said:

Man, you're so arrogant it's sad sometimes.  Get off your high-horse for a change, it doesn't necessarily give you the great view you think you have way up there.

If it was any other poster i'd think sarcasm ... that said i miss the Gaurdian, at least taking the devils advocate included better game.    I get the complaining and venting - especially over our terrible start.  Shades of Keenan era stuff.   But when we lose a 1-0 game and statistically we are right there with the other team ... it's not like we were blown out.   A few posters on here have unrealistic expectations, and seem to feed off every loss and become shamefully vocal about it.    Ignore button - used it only once - and for a short time...but that's why it's there. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Yeah, switch the centres around or even put Hogs up with Petey and Miller with Horvat. I think Miller seemed to forgotten the fact that he was a 3rd - 4th line scrub, and now he thinks he's prolific scorer

I'd be all for this for next game:

Boeser - Bo - Hoglander

Pearson - Petterson - Gaudette

Virtanen - Miller - Roussel

MacEwan - Sutter - Beagle

Make Miller play a grittier role and hopefully Petey will get a bit of a kick playing with new linemates. Plus we put our 3 best forwards together. 

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

These Tryamkin guys are hilarious. The same people that we're appalled that someone suggest Tryamkin play like Pronger suggest he's this big deterrent or something. He's not. He hit hard at times when he was here, the rest of the time he's a pussy, and certainly doesn't use his size effectively as he could.

It's unlikely he plays for the Canucks.   Yes it's a possibility - but why not just wait and become a UFA?   If he does come i'm pretty sure he should make a decent third pairing guy - maybe even a good third pairing guy and i'd welcome his size.   That said Hall Gill is a way better comparable then Pronger, Chara etc - and even then that's only if it works out.   Gill played a very long time in this league didn't he.   Saying he's "destroyed" a couple guys in the KHL lately was false news.   5 fights since 2014, isn't a lot is it, one this year - the last one think in 2018...He does play with an edge from what I can see - and the smaller ice surface would probably help his game.   Hits like a tank.   It would be great to see what he can do - the NHL is not the KHL - don't have any expectations at this point. 

32 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Thanks coach. I can definitely see your passion, it's terrific, you wouldn't paint yourself like this otherwise, but I also clearly see why you topped out in level B. You were destined to coach. :lol:

You know what they say about teaching. ^_^

Meh it just makes incompetent coaching more transparent to me 

you know as well as I do Green will never take this team to the next level and he will not be the coach next season 

heck 4 years and the only playoffs we made was a covid qualifier 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Boeser - Bo - Hoglander

Make Miller play a grittier role and hopefully Petey will get a bit of a kick playing with new linemates. Plus we put our 3 best forwards together. 

I'm curious as to how EP and Hoglander might do together... or put Hoglander on the first PP unit and demote someone...

20 minutes ago, JustRich said:

Man, you're so arrogant it's sad sometimes.  Get off your high-horse for a change, it doesn't necessarily give you the great view you think you have way up there.

I just hopped off

yup, looks the sane from this perspective 

team still looks broken 

28 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Right now not getting blown out in games is a step in the right direction.   Team was in the game right until the end, don't see much to be concerned about - six games now, all of which could have been wins - it looks like the teams turned the corner on that stuff at least.    This teams not ready to contend and win .750 of its games, roster and age of core etc.  

The way they've played the last six games for sure is good enough for .600-.650 or so, right about where IF they are firing on all cylinders, in this division. It's a good one no doubt.  

Hope for playoffs is fine - not realistic really - but it is what it is - we won't see a coaching change this year so don't see the point in constantly complaining about it - and don't understand those that won't let it go either.   Why not just enjoy the process?   And as an aside, i'm glad the team/owners have stuck behind TG, the players have settled in and have his back.    In the end most likely this means we get a lotto pick - no RHD or Centers coming up in the pipe - have to deal with that weakness. 

This is what i mean man

instead of improving we just lower the bar and keep dropping the expectations 

18 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Even the media questioning is tainted now - picking up on some inane tidbit from some goofs twitter account that gains traction - then asking TG about it pre-game.   It's sad really.   That said i don't pine for the old days when Friedman was cutting his teeth in BC following the WCE teams ... his questions were bad but in a different Rob McLean totally obtuse and nothing to do about the team or game sort of way.

Brian Burke,  Kevin Bieksa and Kelly Hrudey saved SN / talking heads...

The media is just brutal now. We'll never see true journalism anymore. it's a sad sate of affairs. I mean more people follow Gaudette than know Larry King. (Not that he was great or anything)

All that's left is 7 Billion people sorting through even more lies.

• Cheers 1

Gotta hand it to the pre-season prognosticators. Pretty much everywhere I checked had the 4th place team in the North finishing at 65pts and looking at the pace for each of the teams roughly 1/3 of the way through the season they were bang on.

Toronto on pace for 72pts

Montreal on pace for 68pts

Winnipeg on pace for 65pts

Edmonton on pace for 64pts

30-21-5 is the "magic" # in terms of a minimum record needed for the playoffs meaning the Canucks can realistically afford to lose 9 more games in regulation before the playoff dream is all but dead.

7 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

You know what, fair enough. 

If you think Horvat should play 'tougher' given his size, or that a captain should embody that, or a combination of both (which is what I'd assume) then totally fair enough.

Maybe my responses are the reasonable side in me - trying to acknowledge both viewpoints. But I do think in the context of our team Horvat is a skill player. He has weight to him - (not necessarily height) - but he's always been more of a 'responsible' skill guy, rather than a nasty PWF. And I don't think in the modern NHL your captain has to fit a specific mold stylistically.

I think he can handle it too, Nurse is a big player & Horvat had no problems dealing with him. But it might be his nature to be more of a skill guy than a true PWF, despite his size, and I'm alright with that personally. 

I'd like to see more pushback from him generally, but he's also a guy I'm looking at to change the course of a game (like tonight) with a goal rather than a fight, if that makes sense. 

Our group can still take a step in the toughness direction, but I think adding that brawn will be as much about adding different personnel as it will be our current guys growing/changing. 

I'm of a similar opinion. Being a "tough guy" isn't Horvat's game and probably never will be, I understand why some would want that from him given how he's built but I also think it's unfortunate. Leadership doesn't just involve fighting or getting into scrums. Do I want the guys to stick up for each other? Sure, but why nitpick Horvat? Simply because he's got a letter on his jersey? There are plenty of of other heavier guys on the team who lead without a letter, some of which engaged. Hell, there have been times Horvat's engaged in scrums. I understand it all comes from a place of frustration, disappointment, and wanting the team to be better though. 

Maybe it's my being a younger generation of fan, but I don't fetishize the toughness of old. Those days are gone, we're not getting them back, the game is different. The toughness I recall comes from the early to mid 2000's, and even that's gone for the most part. Toughness takes on a different form nowadays, and while I agree we could use more of it it's unlikely to show up in the form of guys throwing fists most of the time. It's gotta be an identity thing, and that's a tricky thing to nail down for any team. Coaching likely plays a part, but how much and what impact is has is anyone's guess. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

16 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Boeser - Bo - Hoglander

This just made me think of how brutal his defence is. Miller had a career year last year, but he was traded from Tampa. The reason, his DEFENCE IS ATROCIOUS, or more accurately his it's not my fault , I obviously don't care attitude. I saw this a long time ago. He plays defence like ****k* used to. He skates back but never actually covers his man, he just uses random number turnovers or risky breakout passes to jump on pucks and start the attack the other way. When that doesn't work he relies on anyone nearby else to bail him out. Unlike ***** who at least didn't turn the puck over in his own end Miller is willing to get 8 goals scored against him if it means passing the puck into his own slot if he gets one chance at the other end. I don't like this type of player.

I saw one of his patented turn around no look spin plays in his own end yesterday. I actually tried to through my TV out the window.

40 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Boeser - Bo - Hoglander

Time to play Hawryluk!!  Trust me, he's good!!!!  Way better than Roussel! 

• Cheers 1

@IBatch 

Same dud player. This type of Size more likely means failure than success. These guys can't get their bodies to do what their minds are telling them ... and Tryamkin doesn't even have that killer instinct, nor is he anything but average (I say below) skill wise to begin with.

image.png

image.png

Edited by Gawdzukes
Mobile apps suck balls
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Gotta hand it to the pre-season prognosticators. Pretty much everywhere I checked had the 4th place team in the North finishing at 65pts and looking at the pace for each of the teams roughly 1/3 of the way through the season they were bang on.

Toronto on pace for 72pts

Montreal on pace for 68pts

Winnipeg on pace for 65pts

Edmonton on pace for 64pts

30-21-5 is the "magic" # in terms of a minimum record needed for the playoffs meaning the Canucks can realistically afford to lose 9 more games in regulation before the playoff dream is all but dead.

I had us striving for 62points, taking away the bigger picture pressure by short aim strategies of playing not to lose any of the 'series'.

Before last night to achieve that we required a winning % of .611.  Today that % has crept up to .628.

Every loss now just magnifies the inevitable.

The remaining question appears to be when will Green accept the futility of continually playing his obviously permanently-faded bottom 6?

Will he simply try retain resume respectability for the remaining year, or will he at least look ahead for what spirit might be in the pipe for next season.

Does he expect not to be here?  Surely, Nucks cannot dress these guys again for '22?

Opinion here laments about our present lack of grit.  Without protection, I fear for one of our young lightweight talents taking injury.

One willing mixer won't cut it.  With no backup, he'd soon get bled.  The need might also be urgent, as the book on Nucks non-existing push-back is well-read.

Gadj is a slow skater?  What, he can't catch Lucic?  Grit is either in a player's heart or it never will be.  So, bring 'em up, have 'em work out their shortcomings.

Ain't that a coaches job?  Top teams don't release their character players (unless they're old/injured) so we must develop our own.

Really guys, can an infusion of 'tomorrow' be any worse to cheer for than the expensive, lethargic spent force we're stuck with today.

Unless, of course, their continued inclusion, is not truly Green's doing.

• Thanks 1