The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | February 19, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP NHLN

Rate this topic

-SN-

6 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Its a human nature issue not an NHL ref issue. There is probably a non-call in the last 5 mins of most 1 goal games in the NHL. Just like there is probably a foul on every NBA play in the last 5 mins and there is probably holding or pass interference on every play in the last drive of an NFL game. The strike zone tends to change a bit later in MLB games. The NHL is not unique in this "issue".

Watch the play 5 seconds before this, Hogs is facing Forbort and then turns his back and Forbort grabs/punches him again and the scrum ensues. I wish Hoglander would have just grabbed or swung on Forbort instead of turning away, like I said it would have ended in the same scrum.

The NHL IS the issue.

The second paragraph of yours could apply to Moore/Bertuzzi.  Moore knew he was there and "could/should have" turned to face him and...didn't.  Bertuzzi paid his dues for that.  So why do some not have to?  Because Moore was "injured" (in a pile up that resembled the one last night?).  They're supposed to penalize the act, not the outcome.  That's how things go terribly wrong...because you wait to see who's hurt and who isn't.  Too late at that point.

And why is Forbort grabbing him?  Were 3 crosschecks not enough?  When is enough enough?  

Predatory stuff needs to stop, period.  Or not...in which case, we should get to participate too.

We're not talking baseball/strike zone.  No one gets hurt if a ball is called instead of a strike.  A hold is missed.  There are clear cut "penalties" for infractions in hockey...they need to be addressed with consistency and aren't.  That's an issue.  Especially when it's a goon out there seeking revenge on a guy half his size.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Well said, dib (all of it).

I don't feel it's against "us"...I feel it favours "them" in many instances.  There are teams touted as big tough teams and they get to play that way...the other guys?  Don't you try any of that funny stuff.  For entertainment, but I do feel there is bias there too...like in the Bruins have been able to do stuff other teams can't, etc.  Reaves gets away with stuff that Myers wouldn't....that sort of inconsistency.

Agreed Deb. It is the "subjective application" i referred to.   Some bad actors (Marchand, Tkachuk etc) are known cheap shot artists but the league gives them room to do their thing because it is entertaining while a guy like Roussel is policed so that if he glares at another player he is penalized while others are free to abuse him with impunity. It is all a out game management instead if consistent application of the rules.  The  NHL refereeing standard is embarrassing and is also reflected.in their enforcement if discipline through the DPOS.  

For me, the league took a major downturn when Bettman and company decided to turn it into a circus to entertain non hockey markets in the USA. The integrity of the game was lost and has never really returned.

• Cheers 4

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

The NHL IS the issue.

The second paragraph of yours could apply to Moore/Bertuzzi.  Moore knew he was there and "could/should have" turned to face him and...didn't.  Bertuzzi paid his dues for that.  So why do some not have to?  Because Moore was "injured" (in a pile up that resembled the one last night?).

We're not talking baseball/strike zone.  There are clear cut "penalties" for infractions in hockey...they need to addressed with consistency and aren't.  That's an issue.

Not the same at all. Bertuzzi stalked Moore most of that game and suckered him from behind and then drove his head into the ice while they were skating at nearly full speed. Forbort engaged with Hogs at the whistle and they were facing each other, and gave him a couple of short punches before the scrum ensued. To try and compare one of the worst incidents in NHL history to what happened last night is pretty laughable actually.

a lot of negativity on here about last night's game.  Canucks had a LOT of really good scoring chances, the WPG goalie got lucky/played extremely well, and the Canucks let in a single goal in 3 periods (not counting the empty netter).  I know it's frustrating to watch your team lose in a must win game situation, but it wasn't like they mailed it in last night.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

You've gone from unhinged maniac to tin-foil hat conspiracy nut. CDC-Anon you have your King.

So you see no issue with the garbage Sutherland pulls every time he's assigned to one of our games?  It's either incompetence or corruption; either way, the league would stop assigning him to Canuck games if they cared about the integrity of the sport.  Meier is very quickly working himself into that category where the league should be embarrassed for continue to employ them.

Edited by King Heffy

20 hours ago, GritGrinder said:

Not the same at all. Bertuzzi stalked Moore most of that game and suckered him from behind and then drove his head into the ice while they were skating at nearly full speed. Forbort engaged with Hogs at the whistle and they were facing each other, and gave him a couple of short punches before the scrum ensued. To try and compare one of the worst incidents in NHL history to what happened last night is pretty laughable actually.

Very similar...except the outcome.  You didn't catch where Forbort was targeting Hog? 

At full speed?  That means it was during gameplay which, in some minds, is better than after the whistle.  After the whistle play should "stop" and players are more unsuspecting of being attacked as they skate toward the bench. 

Convenient that you're ignoring the 3 crosschecks ... and that what you're talking about was after that initial "attack" and you've glanced past the fact that it was the second go at Hog.  That's called "stalking".  

Done...it's your deal if you're ok with it won't change my mind.

• Cheers 3