The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Edited] Bottom 5 Finish Now in Reach!

Rate this topic

Provost

13 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Both you guys should square this away and go with Oldnews’ second proposal. 

Let’s move on guys. There is a lot of hate bs and wasted effort here. Keep things as positive and constructive when in disagreement. 

:metal:

Sure... it isn’t a genuine offer though as history has repeatedly shown.

I put him in ignore and then realize he is talking smack... I avoid him and he keeps coming onto threads aggressively posting crap.

it is incessant and a false equivalency 

.  Go look back at the threads, including this one.  He could just stop, but he doesn’t and never has.  

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Sure... it isn’t a genuine offer though as history has repeatedly shown.

I put him in ignore and then realize he is talking smack... I avoid him and he keeps coming onto threads aggressively posting crap.

it is incessant and a false equivalency 

.  Go look back at the threads, including this one.  He could just stop, but he doesn’t and never has.  

this is f.o.s. - and you know it  - but whatever.

The offer is genuine.  Why are you refusing to choose an option - you want to continue this dysfunctional waste of time?

"go back and look at threads including this one".....

or just stop?   get over yourself.

He is incapable of not stalking me.He could literally stop anytime... but won’t 

I have no idea what he is saying as he is on ignore again, but I see his icon on the thread as recently commented.  Almost assuredly more trash talk without substance. 

”You’ve chosen to ignore content by Oldnews: Options: show this post”

Nope, Yawn...

Edited by Provost

1 hour ago, DSVII said:

We're gonna need a winning streak of 5-6 games to break even, and then playing at a 90pt pace for the rest of the season. Not looking good.

You can forget about that, this team is just bad and playing good still doesnt make this team win games. Just accept the fact that the team is mediocre and needs to trade at the deadline.

14 hours ago, D-Money said:

http://moneypuck.com/predictions.htm

Canucks currently at 19% odds to make the playoffs - 5th worst in the league.

What makes it even worse is, we're in the one 7-team division. And Ottawa is terrible. So the odds would be worse if we were in any other division.

Odds now just 10.8%. 3rd worst in the league, only ahead of Detroit and Ottawa.

Think it’s safe to say even the optimists know this season is done now.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, D-Money said:

Think it was a safe prediction at the start, and optimistic folks knew that too. At this point might as well change the title too " The Playoffs are out of Reach". Or  " What players should management be targeting with their top 10 pick?".... would say top five ... but you know lotto luck isn't kind to us - and really this is the Canucks and you just know we will go on a winning streak near the end and go from 3/4th worst team in the league - to 9/10 lol.    

Brandt Clarke appears to be the highest ranked RHD...his size bugs me a little though.   Looks like there might be 3 or so players that could play their draft year - some decent C's and a pile of D's in the top ten.   Power/Edvinsson/Hughes look like winners.   Power would be an Ekblad like pick ... one can dream we win the lotto doubt anyone would be sad about this seasons path.   Well actually this is the best possible outcome, we need both our D and our C depth boosted, also time to pick another goalie. 

Edited by IBatch

6 hours ago, D-Money said:

And the other models say it is half that... 2.9%-5% is their range which seems a lot more accurate.

Basically every single game in “the chase” has gone against our odds since the start of the weekend.  Only Ottawa taking a point from Montreal helped.

I guess the positive to take is that the illusion of a chance has been pretty obviously ripped away.  We were always going to lose 3 games eventually, and other teams would win some eventually... this just pushed that to the front and made it “appear” more hopeless.  We can (hopefully) join Nashville and start making calls to get ahead of the rental market.

I don’t know if I want Benning fired today or not.  We need to make moves and switching GMs might delay that, but I don’t have a lot of confidence that he is the right guy to do it.  I also don’t know what replacements there are out there right now to choose from.

We absolutely need to shed a ton of salary, sooner rather than later.  The $4.75 million in ELC bonuses which will currently be pushed into next year could cost us a top 4 D man in the trade or free agency market.  Imagine swapping out a Hamonic/Benn level player with a $6 million dollar player... and that is the difference we are talking about.

Right now if we drop about $8-10 million in salary, pro-rated it gets us out of basically all the overages.

Pearson $3.75 million

Sutter $4.375 million

Benn $2 million

Dropping from 23 man to 21 man roster $2 million

That does it with a couple million extra to play with if we had to take any money back in a deal.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I wasn't ready to concede OP's prediction yet, but after last night Ottawa can now catch us in wins :sadno:

My hope is CDC doesn't eat itself alive with petty fights for the next few months but I think we'll need some significant coaching and player changes to avoid that. 

• Upvote 2

In other related news...

“The Vancouver Canucks hockey team visited an orphanage in Burnaby last week.
‘it's so sad to see their little faces, with no hope’, said Robert, age 6.”

(stolen from some FB comments)

Edited by Provost
  • Haha 4

If you assume 62 points to get in - the Canucks now need to go 22/33 - 66.7% or almost a 110 pt pace on a full 82 game season. Again, it boils down to the Canadiens and Flames - if the Canucks get in it is because those two teams struggle the rest of the season. But I just don't see that happening enough for Vancouver to squeak in.  

Montreal just made a coaching change so it would appear their ownership/management has no tolerance for mediocre play. I can't see Vancouver doing anything personnel wise. Acquilini does not have the money to pay for 2 GMs or 2 coaches. I hope Benning's moves will be limited and have to be owner approved for the rest of the season. I am praying that Benning is not actually given a full vote of confidence and that he cannot trade the Canucks first rounder to try to fix the team. I am hoping to actually see some trades for players out and picks and prospects back but I am not sure I trust Benning to make those trades. 

At this point I hope for a new GM and then coach for the 21/22 season. Similar to the Oilers, any new GM will take a couple seasons to fix the mess. If you look seriously at the Oilers, their D is shaping up well (Broberg to come, Bouchard, Lageson, Bear and Jones). Their bottom 6 is not there yet but better than the Canucks. If they can get a real goalie over the next couple seasons, all of a sudden they could actually be a contender. That turn around gives me hope the Canucks can accomplish the same with a different GM - it just means a couple more tough seasons. 

This year I had the highest optimism of any year in ages.  (Lifelong fan)  That has gone the way of the Dodo. 
One of my classic Canucks mugs, fell out of the cupboard the other day and shattered.  Just like my hopes for this season.

After decades of rooting for this team, I am beginning to think why do I bother.  Like I have said dozens of times, this team will never win, with "The Statue" outside the building.  It's like the curse of the Bambino.

• Like 1