The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Edited] Bottom 5 Finish Now in Reach!

Rate this topic

Provost

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

My fantasy/dream is much more realistic than yours.

We miss playoffs win the draft lottery for the 1st overall and add another top tier young kid to our team. 

Making the playoffs is next to impossible now..

Pfffft, winning the lottery, yeah right, you want realistic, we miss the playoffs, coaches get fired, we properly develop out team and win the cup next year.

• Like 1

If the Canucks play lights out for the rest of the year but miss the playoffs, do ppl still want to fire Benning? 

For example, if we go on an absolute tear and clearly show that we have a strong team with a bright future (which is what Benning built), do ppl still want him gone?

For me, seeing him refrain from signing Marky, Tanev and Toffoli this past summer shows me that unlike what many here say, he does have a plan for when cap space is cleared and he's sticking with it. He is  showing that he's willing to pay the price for past mistakes and have adjusted from it. 

The only question is, does he have shrewd enough negotiation skills to sign FA's to better contracts going forward? 

Hamonic is one example of a good pickup. Does he have more in him? 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

34 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

If the Canucks play lights out for the rest of the year but miss the playoffs, do ppl still want to fire Benning? 

For example, if we go on an absolute tear and clearly show that we have a strong team with a bright future (which is what Benning built), do ppl still want him gone?

For me, seeing him refrain from signing Marky, Tanev and Toffoli this past summer shows me that unlike what many here say, he does have a plan for when cap space is cleared and he's sticking with it. He is  showing that he's willing to pay the price for past mistakes and have adjusted from it. 

The only question is, does he have shrewd enough negotiation skills to sign FA's to better contracts going forward? 

Good question.   While I'm leaning towards getting rid of him, I have to say that he does have some talent in the scouting area.  Maybe Aqua-Lini can split his job up so he can be maintained in that area while signing duties and trades are handed out to a new GM that is less Trigger-Happy with BAD/ LT Contracts.  That might be the solution!

As for coaching - ALL COACHES should be PUT ON A BARGE AND PUSHED OUT TO SEA!

• RoughGame 1

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

If they play lights out, I keep Green but still fire Benning.

We would still have a team where a bunch of players wouldn’t be picked up if they were out on waivers, that is a GM issue... not a player effort issue.

The team just doesn’t have the talent and has serious cap issues for a team with so little success.  If Green can get more out of them for a stretched it doesn’t change that.

• RoughGame 1

18 minutes ago, Provost said:

If they play lights out, I keep Green but still fire Benning.

We would still have a team where a bunch of players wouldn’t be picked up if they were out on waivers, that is a GM issue... not a player effort issue.

The team just doesn’t have the talent and has serious cap issues for a team with so little success.  If Green can get more out of them for a stretched it doesn’t change that.

Why are we ONLY firing Benning? Green has proven very little, aside from a nice playoff run (in other words, similar to WD). If you're going to fire Benning, fire/let go of everyone under him as well, with exception to Ian Clark. Clean house. Keeping Green is leaving a remnant of Benning behind.

WD and TG are far too similar in stats, with regards to wins and losses for my liking. The roster that TG has is much better than what WD ever had. At this point, Green's inability to rise above his predecessor is possibly indicative of his style of coaching and/or not being able to maximize a player's usefulness. At some point, he has to answer to this question.

Edited by Dazzle
Made some edits on what I meant to say
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, bree2 said:

come on, you think we are the only team that have not done well this year. i don't understand why it is all Bennings fault or Greens fault.  maybe it is the fans fault for expecting too much.  we have some whiny fans that want everything now or they have a temper tantrum, it shows in the wins and losses on this site. we should all just enjoy for now and stop with wanting Benning or Green fired, after all we have no say in it!!!

Just for the record, I’ve been waiting 50+ years.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, bree2 said:

come on, you think we are the only team that have not done well this year. i don't understand why it is all Bennings fault or Greens fault.  maybe it is the fans fault for expecting too much.  we have some whiny fans that want everything now or they have a temper tantrum, it shows in the wins and losses on this site. we should all just enjoy for now and stop with wanting Benning or Green fired, after all we have no say in it!!!

This year isn't an anomaly.  We have been the 4th worst team in the league if you take a span of the last 5 years.  We have been consistently bad while ALSO spending to the cap... something the teams below us mostly aren't doing.

Those are firing numbers for any GM in the league.  Benning is the longest tenured GM with a losing record.  The only one close is Dorian and he has to try to ice a team without any money, scouting staff, or resources.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Why are we ONLY firing Benning? Green has proven very little, aside from a nice playoff run (in other words, similar to WD). If you're going to fire Benning, fire/let go of everyone under him as well, with exception to Ian Clark. Clean house. Keeping Green is leaving a remnant of Benning behind.

WD and TG are far too similar in stats, with regards to wins and losses for my liking. The roster that TG has is much better than what WD ever had. At this point, Green's inability to rise above his predecessor is possibly indicative of his style of coaching and/or not being able to maximize a player's usefulness. At some point, he has to answer to this question.

I don't fire Green because he isn't our coach after this season as his contract is up.  A new GM can come in and assess things, and decide if Green is his guy or he wants someone else.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

This year isn't an anomaly.  We have been the 4th worst team in the league if you take a span of the last 5 years.  We have been consistently bad while ALSO spending to the cap... something the teams below us mostly aren't doing.

Those are firing numbers for any GM in the league.  Benning is the longest tenured GM with a losing record.  The only one close is Dorian and he has to try to ice a team without any money, scouting staff, or resources.

I think Benning is given the offseason to sort out the mess he has created with the cap. The draft is too important to have a new GM just wing it.

If he has a successful offseason then you let him sign a new coach. If not bring in a new GM and coaching staff.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

you can't blame Benning for all the rebuilding years, look what he has accomplished in the players we got, this is a covid year and we started out with the worst schedule in the league, we still have played more games than  every team , sure the other teams will have to sort of go thru it coming up, but the way i see it is the schedulers screwed us this year!

• Cheers 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

I think Benning is given the offseason to sort out the mess he has created with the cap. The draft is too important to have a new GM just wing it.

If he has a successful offseason then you let him sign a new coach. If not bring in a new GM and coaching staff.

the cap was screwed with the league deciding on a flat cap, a lot of teams are going thru it

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, bree2 said:

the cap was screwed with the league deciding on a flat cap, a lot of teams are going thru it

That’s not the only reason we have cap problems.

Eriksson, Baertschi, and Spooner are just 3 examples of Bennings cap mismanagement. That’s like 10 million in wasted cap that we wouldn’t have a cap crunch without.

You can make excuses for him but he has to own his lack of flexibility when it comes to the cap. This would have been a much more competitive team if not for some poor decisions.

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That’s not the only reason we have cap problems.

Eriksson, Baertschi, and Spooner are just 3 examples of Bennings cap mismanagement. That’s like 10 million in wasted cap that we wouldn’t have a cap crunch without.

You can make excuses for him but he has to own his lack of flexibility when it comes to the cap. This would have been a much more competitive team if not for some poor decisions.

how about Luongo, that is part of the cap problem but not on Benning, it has been said many times over that Ericksson  was a good  signing at the time and many fans like it . but since it didn't work out it is now on Benning? why not on Eriksson? as for Baer, well he was great until he got into concussion problems and nobody wanted him. 

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, bree2 said:

how about Luongo, that is part of the cap problem but not on Benning, it has been said many times over that Ericksson  was a good  signing at the time and many fans like it . but since it didn't work out it is now on Benning? why not on Eriksson? as for Baer, well he was great until he got into concussion problems and nobody wanted him. 

Since when is a bad contract not on the GM?

Eriksson signing made sense at the time yes. The 6 years however never made sense. At his age it should have been 4 max or walk.

Sorry but you can’t make that many excuses for Benning. Every contract that he needs to move he can’t because they’re bad contracts. You’re  really gonna give him a pass for every poor contract he signs?

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

So cynnical.....ha ha, I should talk

Point is, we don't know what goes on in those board of directors meetings (ie the Aquilini's and Benning).  I suspect that Benning is a bit of a yes man.  That's why Benning is in and Linden is out.  That and you can't have too many cooks.  But to give Linden credit, he did some extensive research including interviews with several GM's in his last year or so and he had some pretty strong opinions about the direction the team should take.  This clashed with ownership.  So in 2017, Benning, on his own, was under pressure to do something so he did what he could, bolster the bottom 6 which exacerbated his cap situation.  But there was more to it than I think most people are remembering....Beagle, Roussel but maybe people forget delZotto, Gagner, Dorsett, Leipsec, Vanek and Guddy were also added that year.  All dogs (except Vanek).

I'm not disagreeing with your take at all.  At least the back half.  Do they pull the rug out?  I couldn't say

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Sorry... the last offseason was his chance to fix it for me.

He had to step up and fix the cap issues he created.

He didn’t and he spent so much time chasing down an OEL trade, he “ran out of time” to shed cap and re-sign efficient players.

No more chances.  Who says Benning would be better at this draft than anyone else?  He has a spotty record with top 10 picks and no one will have seen any later picks play... so if they actually have the draft this year, it is going to be heavy European dominated where he won’t have laid eyes on a player.. and the rest will be pretty random.