The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Edited] Bottom 5 Finish Now in Reach!

Rate this topic

Provost

55 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

The Canucks win a close one, and it's only because of their goalie.

Not automatically, but in this last stretch where Demko's been on fire? Yes he's definitely stolen games, how can this be denied?

Canucks win going away, and it's only because the other team's goalie had an off night.

When did I say this?

The Canucks lose a close one, and it's because they aren't a good team. The Canucks lose going away and it's because they aren't a very good team.

When did I say this?

I can usually count on you to come up with better/proper rebuttals compared to most others here, what's happened? :frantic:

Edited by kanucks25

15 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

If we had too many games earlier, the boys didn't get enough time to gel and practice.

If we had too few games earlier, the league is out to get us - they wanted to kill our bubble momentum.

:rolleyes:

I mean it would've been nice to just get a schedule close to whatever the average was... especially considering VAN already has more travel than most teams every year 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

I mean it would've been nice to just get a schedule close to whatever the average was... especially considering VAN already has more travel than most teams every year 

Don't we have a bad schedule like every year? I only ever hear it come up as an excuse if we're playing bad.

Rarely hear anything regarding the schedule when things are going well.

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

Don't we have a bad schedule like every year? I only ever hear it come up as an excuse if we're playing bad.

Rarely hear anything regarding the schedule when things are going well.

Ever since they started analyzing the games played vs. rested & rested played vs. tired, etc... yes, it does seem like our sched sucks every year. And what do you expect? Of course people aren't going to complain about the schedule if things are going well.. doesn't mean they didn't have to overcome a $&!#ty schedule to do so 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Ever since they started analyzing the games played vs. rested & rested played vs. tired, etc... yes, it does seem like our sched sucks every year. And what do you expect? Of course people aren't going to complain about the schedule if things are going well.. doesn't mean they didn't have to overcome a $&!#ty schedule to do so 

Here's the thing, if we actually played like we deserved to be a playoff team when you look at the entire season as a whole thus far, you might have a case.

But we played like ass in the beginning, had a good stretch in between, and now another stretch of bad hockey. We've been bad more than we've been good, and some of that bad has come recently when the schedule has slowed down and we've had a ton of aggregate practice time.

This team isn't great on paper, and has looked worse on the ice. We can agree to disagree on whether we are victims of the schedule this year or if we're simply not good enough.

Also this from an article before the season started:

"A “tired” team is one that played the previous night. A “rested” team didn’t. The Canucks will play a rested opponent while tired just once next season, but will play a tired team while rested six times. The Canucks also get a six-day break near the end of March, a lengthy break not every team gets. 

The relatively few back-to-backs and the favourable schedule could be a boon to the Canucks in a compressed 56-game schedule. While they’ll still be playing a lot of games in a short amount of time — most of their schedule has them playing every other day — having fewer back-to-backs will give players that little bit extra time to rest between games. It’s not much, but even a small advantage could make a difference."

Edited by kanucks25

2 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Here's the thing, if we actually played like we deserved to be a playoff team when you look at the entire season as a whole thus far, you might have a case.

But we played like ass in the beginning, had a good stretch in between, and now another stretch of bad hockey. We've been bad more than we've been good, and some of that bad has come recently when the schedule has slowed down and we've had a ton of aggregate practice time.

This team isn't great on paper, and has looked worse on the ice. We can agree to disagree on whether we are victims of the schedule this year or if we're simply not good enough.

Also this from an article before the season started:

"A “tired” team is one that played the previous night. A “rested” team didn’t. The Canucks will play a rested opponent while tired just once next season, but will play a tired team while rested six times. The Canucks also get a six-day break near the end of March, a lengthy break not every team gets. 

The relatively few back-to-backs and the favourable schedule could be a boon to the Canucks in a compressed 56-game schedule. While they’ll still be playing a lot of games in a short amount of time — most of their schedule has them playing every other day — having fewer back-to-backs will give players that little bit extra time to rest between games. It’s not much, but even a small advantage could make a difference."

I was aware that this year we actually had a favourable schedule re. being rested, but usually not the case and, as has been discussed ad nauseum, other things about the schedule sucked this year. 

I don't disagree with you though. I don't think we are good enough either. But maybe more practice at the start and 2 of our early losses become W's and suddenly the playoff race would've been more interesting this entire time. Yes you say they have more practice time now and are still playing bad, but they are winning more games.. 

52 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Just to be a nitpicker, I make that 12 points for the Canucks in their last 10 games (Feb.23 - Mar.15) to only 8 points for Montreal in their last 10 games (Feb.25 - Mar.15). and 10 points for Calgary in their last 10 games (Feb..24 - Mar.15). 

This being said, I'm sure that you are correct, and that the Canucks will fail miserably in their attempts to reach the playoffs. Montreal and Calgary will win all of the games they have in hand so those points will sink this team's chances. Gosh darn it! Don't you just hate it when the other team automatically wins games?

Oh well, baseball season starts in April. Don't you go spoiling the results for this upcoming season...

regards,  G,

According to TSN:
4-3-3 for Montreal last 10 games for 11 points
5-3-2 for Calgary last 10 games for 12 points
6-4-0 for Vancouver last 10 games for 12 points

Not to be a nitpicker... but you get points for OTL nowadays.  They changed that recently I think, so I understand how you could have missed it.

The rest of your post is just silliness trying to respond to an argument no one ever made in order to look "right".  

The reality is that no team wins every game and no team loses every game.  It is a league where the best teams can play up to a .750 pace and even terrible teams still win a third of their games and hover around the .333 mark over a season (the loser point means more than half the teams are generally above .500).  Most teams hover between .450 and .650 so that is why it is hard to catch up when you are so far behind so many teams.  They won't win all of their games in hand... but will win some of them and that is all they need to do.

Montreal and Calgary still play each other 5 more times.  Don't you hate it when one team automatically wins a game that they play against each other?

image.thumb.png.bb6aeb47c94efa1aa898f494a485adbb.png

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

I was aware that this year we actually had a favourable schedule re. being rested, but usually not the case and, as has been discussed ad nauseum, other things about the schedule sucked this year. 

I don't disagree with you though. I don't think we are good enough either. But maybe more practice at the start and 2 of our early losses become W's and suddenly the playoff race would've been more interesting this entire time. Yes you say they have more practice time now and are still playing bad, but they are winning more games.. 

We also have a few pretty key injuries as well and have had to adjust our game play further to compensate.

We're now playing closer to how we were forced to play against Vegas last playoffs, while also hobbled. It's generally more boring hockey that looks far less dominant and is the equivalent of rope-a-dope hockey.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We also have a few pretty key injuries as well and have had to adjust our game play further to compensate.

We're now playing closer to how we were forced to play against Vegas last playoffs, while also hobbled. It's generally more boring hockey that looks far less dominant and is the equivalent of rope-a-dope hockey.

Exactly. I mean I know he isn't having the year most of us expected from him, but no-one seems to be accounting for the fact that Petey is out as well currently.. not to mention Motte being out for a long time now and the other recent injuries. It's going to take a lot of convincing for me not to remain pissed about the schedule lol...

4 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Exactly. I mean I know he isn't having the year most of us expected from him, but no-one seems to be accounting for the fact that Petey is out as well currently.. not to mention Motte being out for a long time now and the other recent injuries. It's going to take a lot of convincing for me not to remain pissed about the schedule lol...

And Beagle.

3 hours ago, 'NucK™ said:

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

And Beagle.

Luongo’s injury has been a killer too :ph34r:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Not automatically, but in this last stretch where Demko's been on fire? Yes he's definitely stolen games, how can this be denied?

When did I say this?

When did I say this?

I can usually count on you to come up with better/proper rebuttals compared to most others here, what's happened? :frantic:

1.) I don't see that "it" can be put all on the shoulders of the goalie, good or bad. Demko doesn't score goals (at least not yet). Demko doesn't win the puck in the corner, nor does he take faceoffs (although with that paddle who knows what kind of success he could have - but getting back into the crease in a timely fashion could be problematic). This is far too simplistic a view of of how a team works (IMO).

2.) I don't recall saying "You" at any point, except in a general sense of the word you. In any event, it was meant in a general manner, rather than a specific. If need be, should the occasion arise I shall endeavour to be clearer. :)

3.) I don't recall saying "You" at any point, except in a general sense of the word you. In any event, it was meant in a general manner, rather than a specific. If need be, should the occasion arise I shall endeavour to be clearer. :)

4.) Boredom with this might be the reason. I spent the majority of the last couple of weeks watching curling. That was interesting and fun. Baseball season is coming up, which will be a relief. I think I'll be mostly hanging out in "White Noise" in the future. The conversations are more interesting, and not a constant re-hash of the same ol' crap (Not saying this is "You" - WEGOTTACRUCIFYTHATGUY! - NOWEGOTTACRUCIFYTHISGUYFIRSTANDTHENWECANCRUCIFYTHATGUY!! - NOYOU"REBOTHWRONGIT'SALLBETTMAN"SFAULT!!! - NOOOO,IT'SALLAV'SFAULTHEHATEZTEHYUNGPLAYERZ!!!! and so on). Dman it's getting so dull to be around here.  :)

regards,  G.

3 hours ago, Provost said:

According to TSN:

Not to be a nitpicker... but you get points for OTL nowadays.  They changed that recently I think, so I understand how you could have missed it.

The rest of your post is just silliness trying to respond to an argument no one ever made in order to look "right".  

The reality is that no team wins every game and no team loses every game.  It is a league where the best teams can play up to a .750 pace and even terrible teams still win a third of their games and hover around the .333 mark over a season (the loser point means more than half the teams are generally above .500).  Most teams hover between .450 and .650 so that is why it is hard to catch up when you are so far behind so many teams.  They won't win all of their games in hand... but will win some of them and that is all they need to do.

Montreal and Calgary still play each other 5 more times.  Don't you hate it when one team automatically wins a game that they play against each other?

Geez, it didn't take much to bring you out of your shell. I left a couple of obvious mistakes for you to jump on, and you didn't disappoint.

regards,  G.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Geez, it didn't take much to bring you out of your shell. I left a couple of obvious mistakes for you to jump on, and you didn't disappoint.

regards,  G.

Sure sparky... you made a smarmy post that was factually wrong.  Going back and trying to say you "meant to do it" is ludicrous and you should be embarrassed to even post that.  Just admit you were wrong and move on, or just don't paste anything and let it get buried amongst the other pages.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

Sure sparky... you made a smarmy post that was factually wrong.  Going back and trying to say you "meant to do it" is ludicrous and you should be embarrassed to even post that.  Just admit you were wrong and move on, or just don't paste anything and let it get buried amongst the other pages.

"Sparky"? "Smarmy"?  Hey, only my significant other lady friend calls me those sorts of things.

regards,  G.

PS - and waiting for the righteous indignation to continue...

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Provost said:

According to TSN:

Super long shot but Canucks have 5 games VS Sens and Oilers and 4 against Flames (14 games) 

If we go 4-1 VS Oilers and 3-1 VS Flames and 5-0 against Sens, do you think we would make the playoffs? 

My belief is that Mtl is going to make it. That means I am cheering for Mtl to beat the flames and Oilers everytime they play. 

That leaves final spot between,.us,Oilers and Flames.

Its imperative that we either sweep them or come close. 

That leaves 10 games between Leafs, Mtl AND Winnipeg where we need to sport a winning record like 6-4

So remaining season we need to go 18-6 while beating Flames and Oilers in our series. 

I am optimistic but that means we need to bring our A game every night. Our effort level yesterday was puzzling but they eeked out a win. They really shouldn't be saving anything in the tank right now. 

I'm talking as a hopeful fan when the odds of doing what I wrote above is very slim. 

Canucks need to take it one game at a time and play their best hockey to, have a chance. 

I think quality of competition for remaining games will be a huge factor in playoff outcomes. Oilers last 6 games would look disastrous if they didn't sweep Ottawa 3 in a row. 

I think they have the toughest schedule remaining. 

Oilers fans are worried because they watch every game and know how they play when not playing the Sens. (only 2 games left VS Sens btw) 

Oilers remaining games

Toronto x 2

Mtl x 6

Win x 4

(12 games VS playoff teams) 

Ott x 2 (2 easy games left) 

Flames have 

Tor x 5

Mtl x 5

Win x 4

(14 games VS playoff teams) 

Ott x 4 (4 easy games left) 

Canucks have 

Tor x 4

Mtl x 2

Win x 4

(10 games VS playoff teams) 

Ott x 5 (5 easy games left) 

Remaining games are VS each other. 

When I look at this, Canucks have the easiest remaining schedule when not facing Oilers or Flames. 

That alone should shave a few points. 

And then we control our own destiny when playing  flames and Oilers. If we lose to them, we don't deserve playoffs anyway... 

Final thought. Oilers and Flames play each other 5 more times. Best case scenario is no 3 pt games and a relatively even record  with flames edging Oilers 3-2. This ensures one team doesn't run away in the standings and we are relying on us and the remaining teams (Tor, Mtl, Win, Ott) to beat them

Hopefully battle of Alberta heats up and bodies get banged up in the process

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

Super long shot but Canucks have 5 games VS Sens and Oilers and 4 against Flames (14 games) 

If we go 4-1 VS Oilers and 3-1 VS Flames and 5-0 against Sens, do you think we would make the playoffs? 

My belief is that Mtl is going to make it. That means I am cheering for Mtl to beat the flames and Oilers everytime they play. 

That leaves final spot between,.us,Oilers and Flames.

Its imperative that we either sweep them or come close. 

That leaves 10 games between Leafs, Mtl AND Winnipeg where we need to sport a winning record like 6-4

So remaining season we need to go 18-6 while beating Flames and Oilers in our series. 

I am optimistic but that means we need to bring our A game every night. Our effort level yesterday was puzzling but they eeked out a win. They really shouldn't be saving anything in the tank right now. 

I'm talking as a hopeful fan when the odds of doing what I wrote above is very slim. 

Canucks need to take it one game at a time and play their best hockey to, have a chance. 

That seems about right.  I just wish I shared your optimism about being able to get close to that level of play.

I don't think anyone would be happier than me if Demko somehow dragged us into the post season with his play.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

1.) I don't see that "it" can be put all on the shoulders of the goalie, good or bad. Demko doesn't score goals (at least not yet). Demko doesn't win the puck in the corner, nor does he take faceoffs (although with that paddle who knows what kind of success he could have - but getting back into the crease in a timely fashion could be problematic). This is far too simplistic a view of of how a team works (IMO).

We can agree to disagree.

IMO this is the equivalent of a team letting up just like 18 shots with only 1 proper scoring chance but the goalie letting in 3 goals anyway, the skaters score 4 for a 4-3 win, and then claiming it was a team win when really one of these probably could have done the same job as the goalie:

2011 April – nick does hockey

"Yeah well the skaters don't stop the pucks the pucks or take drinks from the bottle on top of the net or clear the extra ice out of their crease with a goalie paddle so it was a team win."

I understand that not every aspect of a team is going to be firing on all cylinders every night, and getting performance/production from different sources is actually the mark of a good team, but that's not what we're getting here, at least not lately; what we're getting here is Demko is the only one that shows up and that simply is not a sustainable way to achieve success in the NHL.

33 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

4.) Boredom with this might be the reason. I spent the majority of the last couple of weeks watching curling. That was interesting and fun. Baseball season is coming up, which will be a relief. I think I'll be mostly hanging out in "White Noise" in the future. The conversations are more interesting, and not a constant re-hash of the same ol' crap (Not saying this is "You" - WEGOTTACRUCIFYTHATGUY! - NOWEGOTTACRUCIFYTHISGUYFIRSTANDTHENWECANCRUCIFYTHATGUY!! - NOYOU"REBOTHWRONGIT'SALLBETTMAN"SFAULT!!! - NOOOO,IT'SALLAV'SFAULTHEHATEZTEHYUNGPLAYERZ!!!! and so on). Dman it's getting so dull to be around here.  :)

Boredom? That's the fun part :bigblush:

24 minutes ago, Provost said:

That seems about right.  I just wish I shared your optimism about being able to get close to that level of play.

I don't think anyone would be happier than me if Demko somehow dragged us into the post season with his play.

Starting Toronto series, we are 5-1 and make it 6-1 if we win tomorrow. 

Our only real stinker was that Mtl game. 

Its obviously a huge uphill battle and can quickly turn bad / impossible if we lose 2 in a row. 

What I would like to see is killer mentality tomorrow where we run up the score early, then roll 4 lines and keep everyone fresh for the back to back in Mtl. 

If it's a close game and we are playing Hughes 30 min, I would hate to count out our boys but it wouldn't be a good sign moving forward. 

• Vintage 1

With such a short season and it being over half done, the odds are against us. But......we still can do it. All we need to do is get in. It'll be tough to make our own destiny. To rely on other teams to win or lose for us to get in the playoffs would suck. We do have to make some leeway in the standings. A multiple game win streak would be sweet, but alas.....there is no guarantee of that. Pray to the hockey gods people!