The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Edited] Bottom 5 Finish Now in Reach!

Rate this topic

Provost

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

Think this was more about ELC bonuses be can paid for this season by making these moves instead of pushing it out to next season (thereby reducing the overall cap).  Some posters in CDC mentioned about those bonuses in other threads.

Yep they are an issue.   That said the cap unless JB makes some very bad moves over the off season, is set to shed at the right time.   The Canucks are not in a bad position after next season to add some good players.   I do get the anxiety, over ruining over a couple bad signings.   JB for sure whiffed on his ELC chance with our core.   That's beyond debate.    Only teams to manage that since the cap:  CHI Toews and Kane last year of ELC.   Staal and Ward (carried some but not all the mail).  ANA - Getzlaf and Perry didn't carry the mail at all but for sure made some impact.   

JB still has Hogs and Podz on their ELCs... maybe someone else from the woodwork too.    I think that the Canucks has better then average odds of doing some damage and maybe winning a cup even with this core.   Why?  Because we are truly going to be in a good position to plug some holes and make it happen.   JB isn't a god and he isn't trash or garbage either, same with TG.   Both have shown that they are above average in this league.   More then anything this team needs some freaking luck.   Maybe it happens this year with the "new and improved" draft lottery rules. 

9 hours ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Jim often seems to run out of time

First Jimmy thinks

then he realizes

who knew we were living in a 55 year old Rolling Stones loop?

On 3/28/2021 at 4:10 PM, oldnews said:

disagree.  

Edler remains extremely important / and will not be easy to replace by any stretch of the imagination.  He signed a team friendly deal last time - if he does so again he's a borderline no-brainer imo. 

And if Hamonic is willing to return at comparable terms to what he signed for - he could be important/good depth.

There are a few good bottom six centers expiring - but I also would not rule out re-signing Sutter if he comes at reasonable terms.  There are no real succession plans ready to step into a 3C role - so if it's not Sutter - you need to go to the market regardless.

I move on from Pearson.  Move on from Benn - and ideally, would move Roussel.

For $5M don't you think we could possibly, conceivably, have the slightest chance of finding a defenseman with more speed, better offensive ability and the possibility of actually playing an entire 82 game season to replace "Special Ed" who is moving close to 40??????.  As for Sutter, he's old, fragile, extremely slow (especially for a centerman) and is also moving towards senior citizen status and all this for almost $4.5M ????????.  As for Hamonic (who I completely forgot about - if we get him for $900K to $1M he might be worthwhile signing for one year as a 6th or spare defenceman - which I strongly feel will happen and would be fair value for him.  

You see the problem with this team as is pointed out in another CDC POST (Seven years without a clear plan from Canucks brass)  is that we keep tinkering around the edges with a little change here and a little change there rather than gutting this team  - which should have been done years ago.  Couple this with "SOME FANS" romantic notion of hanging on to old deteriorating/overpaid/deadwood players because it makes them feel warm and fuzzy, leave this team spinning its tires.

While I respect your opinion, I certainly don't believe hanging on to the old deadwood players past their prime - at outrageously high salaries - will result in them or the team getting any better and why we are the bottom of the league (AGAIN) this year and likely to be there for years to come if something (Those deadwood players) doesn't change!  Otherwise, if we do as you're suggesting, do you actually believe we'll see next years results any better than this year???   My bet is that we'd be having this same conversation again!

Continuity is important Stay the course - titanic | Meme Generator

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Upvote 1

I think it's complete BS that Mtl hasn't played since Toffoli got injured. 

Imagine our entire team had the time off since Pete's injury? 

What is the protocol for covid and teams not playing? 

Shouldn't they dress whoever  they can dress? 

Why did we play when Miller and Benn had it? 

My hope is that they don't extend the season but jam all the missed games into the same schedule end date. 

If they don't finish the season and calculate playoffs by win percentage, they better allow play ins again

Edited by CanucksJay

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

I think it's complete BS that Mtl hasn't played since Toffoli got injured. 

Imagine our entire team had the time off since Pete's injury? 

What is the protocol for covid and teams not playing? 

Shouldn't they dress whoever  they can dress? 

Why did we play when Miller and Benn had it? 

If I recall correctly, neither Miller nor Benn had Covid.  They had simply been exposed to Covid and their quarantine was to ensure that they did not actually have it and prevented them from sharing it with the team.

In the case of the Canadiens, they actually have confirmed cases.  That means the entire team may have been exposed.  It's a totally different scenario.

As for your rant, the Habs will likely have to make up those games and have a much more compressed schedule down the stretch.  It all evens out.

• Vintage 1

On 3/29/2021 at 1:52 AM, wallstreetamigo said:

What do you think the max dollars/term should be to keep Sutter?

All I can say is that if the Canucks plan was to keep Sutter as the 3C next season I dont see how next season will look any different than this one. 

14 minutes ago, Pickly said:

All I can say is that if the Canucks plan was to keep Sutter as the 3C next season I dont see how next season will look any different than this one. 

it could look worse without him. We may want to try to keep him around at a reasonable number (<2m) incase we can't get an upraise at 3C. 

20 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it could look worse without him. We may want to try to keep him around at a reasonable number (<2m) incase we can't get an upraise at 3C. 

You're right, it would look worse if Benning or whoever's the GM next season doesn't find an actual 3rd line center to replace him. The lack of offense from the bottom 6 is alarming and needs to be addressed immediately starting with that 3c position which will have to come from UFA or trade given the Canucks have nobody in the system capable of taking the reigns. Having Beagle and Sutter anchor the bottom 2 lines is a one way ticket to another missed playoffs. Nothing against them as they are defensively sound and important to this team right now, but corsi, faceoff wins, and penalty killing from your bottom 6 doesn't win you games a lot of games. Posession and outscoring your opponent reguarly 5vs5 does. Cant rely on your top two lines to do all the scoring which has been the case all season.

Edited by Pickly
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pickly said:

You're right, it would look worse if Benning or whoever's the GM next season doesn't find an actual 3rd line center to replace him. The lack of offense from the bottom 6 is alarming and needs to be addressed immediately starting with that 3c position which will have to come from UFA or trade given the Canucks have nobody in the system capable of taking the reigns. Having Beagle and Sutter anchor the bottom 2 lines is a one way ticket to another missed playoffs. Nothing against them as they are defensively sound and important to this team right now, but corsi, faceoff wins, and penalty killing from your bottom 6 doesn't win you games. Outscoring your opponent does. Cant rely on your top two lines to do all the scoring which has been the case all season.

we need some size+skill too. I'd be thrilled if we could get Lowry here and re-tool the bottom 6 around him. Roussel needs to be replaced, I feel bad for him he's not the same player he was in his first year here. 

• Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we need some size+skill too. I'd be thrilled if we could get Lowry here and re-tool the bottom 6 around him. Roussel needs to be replaced, I feel bad for him he's not the same player he was in his first year here. 

Lowry could work. I remember Linden was high on him during his tenure as Prez. However his offensive statistics aren't that eye popping for a true 3rd line center. At 28, I doubt he improves much more.

Edited by Pickly

1 minute ago, Pickly said:

Lowry would be great. I remember Linden was high on him during his tenure as Prez. 

If we were looking at Lowry and Motte on the 3rd line, Beagle and maybe another covid bargain on the 4th that might be all we need with the other internal competition. I don't think we need to blow it all up, just bring in one more key guy that rises the tide. 

• Vintage 1

Any more fun breakdowns of how we just need to just win games against the “right” teams and we will be right in the mix for a playoff spot?

Maybe Montreal will get really tired from a compressed schedule... but won’t lose all their games to Calgary and vault the Flames ahead of us at the same time?

Edited by Provost

14 hours ago, goalie13 said:

If I recall correctly, neither Miller nor Benn had Covid.  They had simply been exposed to Covid and their quarantine was to ensure that they did not actually have it and prevented them from sharing it with the team.

In the case of the Canadiens, they actually have confirmed cases.  That means the entire team may have been exposed.  It's a totally different scenario.

As for your rant, the Habs will likely have to make up those games and have a much more compressed schedule down the stretch.  It all evens out.

LOL yes that was a rant. I'm good now

• Haha 1

Update on the wins/losses needed to get to 63 points:

Montreal with their win last night needs to go 12/12

Vancouver needs to go 14/5

Calgary needs to go 14/5

I do not predict Montreal will do much better than 12/12 but I just don't see Vancouver going 14/5. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

LOL yes that was a rant. I'm good now

The funny thing is, between my reply and now, Gaudette tested positive.  So there's a chance we could still see the team postpone a bunch of games.  It's like you jinxed them with your rant.  ::D

11 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

The funny thing is, between my reply and now, Gaudette tested positive.  So there's a chance we could still see the team postpone a bunch of games.  It's like you jinxed them with your rant.  ::D

We already had a break...JV is ill too I heard

We needed a break early in the season not now after a 1 week layoff...

Jeez Adam...