Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Edited] Bottom 5 Finish Now in Reach!

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

Wouldn't it be crazy if Demko goes God Mode for all the games he plays and wins like 15 games to carry us into the playoffs on a high?

Then again, Mark Stone's face last year said it all whenever Thatcher comes to PLAY, so won't rule it out until we're done-done.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Wouldn't it be crazy if Demko goes God Mode for all the games he plays and wins like 15 games to carry us into the playoffs on a high?

Honestly, we were relying on Demko to find God Mode *before* the team got wrecked by Covid and facing a super compressed schedule. At this point, we need both goalies in God Mode, blessing for the entire team, and for the Gods to damn the Habs.

 

It's a pretty big ask for fictional characters.

  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, kloubek said:

Honestly, we were relying on Demko to find God Mode *before* the team got wrecked by Covid and facing a super compressed schedule. At this point, we need both goalies in God Mode, blessing for the entire team, and for the Gods to damn the Habs.

 

It's a pretty big ask for fictional characters.

Habs lost again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, spur1 said:

Habs lost again. 

But the Flamers won. Only 4 points back back but Habs got 3 in hand. Marky is finding a groove. Only 3 goals against in 3 games vs Habs/Leafs/Oilers. 
 

They play 4 more games vs the Habs and 4 vs the Canucks. They are 7-3 vs Canucks/Habs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't look now but the Habs are crashing down, 10 points ahead but we've got 3 games in hand...win them and it's a 4 point swing which we can catch up against Ottawa/Calgary.

 

To be honest if it wasn't for this Covid mess I think the Canucks could have made the playoffs. We were just starting to play well and it all kicked off. Now we're basically all playing with the flu, there's no chance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

But the Flamers won. Only 4 points back back but Habs got 3 in hand. Marky is finding a groove. Only 3 goals against in 3 games vs Habs/Leafs/Oilers. 
 

They play 4 more games vs the Habs and 4 vs the Canucks. They are 7-3 vs Canucks/Habs. 

Ya, with a good portion of the games remaining being played between two teams we are chasing, it makes the marg harder than folks are realizing.

 

It was 5 games where there are 10–12 points guaranteed that will go to one team we are chasing.... it does no good to catch up to one, if the other one is moving farther ahead.

 

I guess our hope is that Calgary wins them all but loses against everyone else while at the same time Montreal hardly wins any games?

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Provost said:

Ya, with a good portion of the games remaining being played between two teams we are chasing, it makes the marg harder than folks are realizing.

 

It was 5 games where there are 10–12 points guaranteed that will go to one team we are chasing.... it does no good to catch up to one, if the other one is moving farther ahead.

 

I guess our hope is that Calgary wins them all but loses against everyone else while at the same time Montreal hardly wins any games?

Reinforcements are coming for the Canadiens soon. 
 

Habs are gonna get Price back pretty soon who has shown the capability of going on a tear when the games matter. 
 

Chairot also should be back soon from injury and Merrill/Gustafsson should be done their protocol around the same time.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Win all remaining games from this point on and they are guaranteed in.  As long as that holds true there is a chance and the closer they get to the end with this holding true the more probable it becomes 

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Don't look now but the Habs are crashing down, 10 points ahead but we've got 3 games in hand...win them and it's a 4 point swing which we can catch up against Ottawa/Calgary.

 

To be honest if it wasn't for this Covid mess I think the Canucks could have made the playoffs. We were just starting to play well and it all kicked off. Now we're basically all playing with the flu, there's no chance.

If they didn't suck against Montreal they'd have a chance too....

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Reinforcements are coming for the Canadiens soon. 
 

Habs are gonna get Price back pretty soon who has shown the capability of going on a tear when the games matter. 
 

Chairot also should be back soon from injury and Merrill/Gustafsson should be done their protocol around the same time.

Thing about MTL, is they gained most of their lead playing us, and haven't done all they well against the rest, they don't play us anymore which is good.     They should be concerned - their season is similar to what ours was looking like last year too, at one point at or near tops, and then a bad slide ....  If the Canucks come in and win a few off the hop, and they keep struggling, for sure they will start feeling the heat.    We aren't out yet, but for sure things look grim too. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

People are over estimating the demise of the Canadiens.  They are still 5-5-0 in the last 10 games and are on a 1 game losing streak.

 

Most teams have little stretches where they lose a few or win a few that is nothing to get worked up about.... it isn’t a sign of anything as it is just what happens to every team over the course of a season.  A larger rolling average tells you a lot more.
 

They have to be a lot worse than .500 for us to catch them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

iirc we need one more point than Montreal as they have the tie breaker.

19 games left to get 11 points more than the Habs, currently have. Sounds  do able; however they have 16 games left to get even more points.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Provost said:

People are over estimating the demise of the Canadiens.  They are still 5-5-0 in the last 10 games and are on a 1 game losing streak.

 

Most teams have little stretches where they lose a few or win a few that is nothing to get worked up about.... it isn’t a sign of anything as it is just what happens to every team over the course of a season.  A larger rolling average tells you a lot more.
 

They have to be a lot worse than .500 for us to catch them.

Good post. It’s an uphill battle for sure. 
 

But what is masked in Montreal’s record is that they are a .500 team against the rest of the division minus the Canucks. 
 

At the end of the day, you need to be over .500 at the minimum to make the playoffs the NHL. 

 

considering our poor record against Montreal, we need to be .600 or better against the rest of the division to have.500 or better record. 
 

With the way Demko was playing, I would say going .600 or better in the remaining games may have been a possibility but with COVID, I’m not sure if it’ll be possible anymore. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, khay said:

Good post. It’s an uphill battle for sure. 
 

But what is masked in Montreal’s record is that they are a .500 team against the rest of the division minus the Canucks. 
 

At the end of the day, you need to be over .500 at the minimum to make the playoffs the NHL. 

 

considering our poor record against Montreal, we need to be .600 or better against the rest of the division to have.500 or better record. 
 

With the way Demko was playing, I would say going .600 or better in the remaining games may have been a possibility but with COVID, I’m not sure if it’ll be possible anymore. 

Even at those rates of play we are nowhere near catching them.  Those assumptions would have required us to have played that well against teams other than Montreal for the whole season... and we haven’t.

 

Montreal going .500 the rest of the way gets them to 61 points.

 

If we play .600 the rest of the way, we get to 57.8 points.... nowhere near Montreal.
 

To get to 62 points and beating Montreal if they play at just at .500 means we would actually have to go a little better than .710.  Something like a 13-5-1 record.

 

At the same time we also have to catch Calgary who also has a better winning % than us and plays Montreal 4 more times.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If we were healthy and rolling, the odds would still be incredibly low to make the playoffs.

 

However, given the circumstances, it's going to be almost certainly impossible. Reports are that the Canucks have had to deal with the worst symptoms of any of the teams, and they reached the most players on the roster. The closest team that had to deal with what the Canucks have was the Sabres. Before the outbreak, they were playing .500 hockey, going 4-4-2 in their previous 10. After they got back on the ice, they went 2-20-2. (And those 24 games weren't as condensed as what they league has been proposing for how the Canucks might finish the season.) Now that Buffalo is finally getting back to speed, they're not so bad anymore: 5-2-3 in their last 10.

 

When the Canucks finally get back on the ice, the results won't be pretty. The saving grace will be getting to see some young guys get chances (they will likely have better legs and lungs than the regulars). But expecting the team to go on a win streak here is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Provost said:

Even at those rates of play we are nowhere near catching them.  Those assumptions would have required us to have played that well against teams other than Montreal for the whole season... and we haven’t.

 

Montreal going .500 the rest of the way gets them to 61 points.

 

If we play .600 the rest of the way, we get to 57.8 points.... nowhere near Montreal.
 

To get to 62 points and beating Montreal if they play at just at .500 means we would actually have to go a little better than .710.  Something like a 13-5-1 record.

 

At the same time we also have to catch Calgary who also has a better winning % than us and plays Montreal 4 more times.

Montreal may go well below .500 the rest of the way, although us going over .700 is highly unlikely if not impossible. If Montreal slumps around .450 point percentage, that will take them to around 59-60 points and we go around .600, that will give us 57-58 points. W will still miss the playoffs by that calculation but that should make the remaining games more interesting and fun to watch.

 

Take MTL's record against us out and MTL is 12-13-6.

 

MTL is 3-2-2 against Ottawa, so 9-11-4 against the remaining 4 teams.

 

MTL also owned EDM like they owned us: 4-1-0.

 

That means, their record against TOR, WPG, CGY is 5-10-4 -- 14 out of 38 points = 0.370 point percentage.

 

Of the remaining 16 games, they play Ottawa 3 times and Edmonton 4 times, which is bad news for us.

 

We basically need Ottawa to keep Montreal to about .500 point percentage and hope that Edmonton will win 3 of 4 against MTL.

 

But I don't expect our players to be in top condition to be able to put up .600 or better record against the opponents who are in mid season forms.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If we HAD been in a PO spot when this cataclysm struck..man it woulda' been a p*sser! Long as the boys can get back to 100% health(touch wood), we can write this one off, & take a couple more juicy picks.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, D-Money said:

If we were healthy and rolling, the odds would still be incredibly low to make the playoffs.

 

However, given the circumstances, it's going to be almost certainly impossible. Reports are that the Canucks have had to deal with the worst symptoms of any of the teams, and they reached the most players on the roster. The closest team that had to deal with what the Canucks have was the Sabres. Before the outbreak, they were playing .500 hockey, going 4-4-2 in their previous 10. After they got back on the ice, they went 2-20-2. (And those 24 games weren't as condensed as what they league has been proposing for how the Canucks might finish the season.) Now that Buffalo is finally getting back to speed, they're not so bad anymore: 5-2-3 in their last 10.

 

When the Canucks finally get back on the ice, the results won't be pretty. The saving grace will be getting to see some young guys get chances (they will likely have better legs and lungs than the regulars). But expecting the team to go on a win streak here is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

I mean, they haven't been playing that well for most of the season anyways, so we're kinda used to it this season :P 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Provost changed the title to [Edited] Bottom 5 Finish Now in Reach!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...