Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Edited] Bottom 5 Finish Now in Reach!

Rate this topic


Provost
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, bbllpp said:

Meaningful games in this context is more than an odd one here or there

 

Example rest Hughes and play Rathbone in his minutes for 5+ games, that’s meaningful 

 

Playing Rathbone in Edler’s spot 10 minutes a game is not

I wouldn’t rest Hughes unless he’s hurt. He’s still a developing player. Only in his 2nd year. 
 

If we’re completely out of it I’d look to rest veterans in order to get some youth looks. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

I wouldn’t rest Hughes unless he’s hurt. He’s still a developing player. Only in his 2nd year. 
 

If we’re completely out of it I’d look to rest veterans in order to get some youth looks. 

In the context of Covid he looks haggard, and giving Rathbone top PP minutes with skilled players is better than 10 minutes of protected EV minutes    from Edler.  Just my opinion 

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, bbllpp said:

In the context of Covid he looks haggard, and giving Rathbone top PP minutes with skilled players is better than 10 minutes of protected EV minutes    from Edler.  Just my opinion 

20+ from Utica is likely better than anything for the first year pro. Rathbone was only #1PP and EV in Utica. 
 

He’s extremely unlikely to take Hughes off PP1 anyway so there’s no real point or advantage to it. He’s better off manning the 2nd unit where he’ll actually play if and when he makes the jump. 
 

Sitting Hughes if he’s healthy enough to play hinders his development too. 

Bit of a situation too with Schmidt having so many puck moving D. Need some physical defensive players to play with these puck moving D.

 

  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, bbllpp said:

Meaningful games in this context is more than an odd one here or there

 

Example rest Hughes and play Rathbone in his minutes for 5+ games, that’s meaningful 

 

Playing Rathbone in Edler’s spot 10 minutes a game is not

Wrong so wrong.

Well Rathbone is here he is never going to play Hughes mins.

He has to learn to play the Mins he will play. If that be 12-15 or 15-18

Just like a young forth liner should never play 15 mins he needs to learn to contribute at 8-10 mins

I swear we live in Canada but I feel I am explaining this to Americans.

Did none of you play past 12 years old.

 

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, bbllpp said:

Meaningful games in this context is more than an odd one here or there

 

Example rest Hughes and play Rathbone in his minutes for 5+ games, that’s meaningful 

 

Playing Rathbone in Edler’s spot 10 minutes a game is not

Essential you want to reward the dog before it learns how to obey 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

No they earned their spots. Virtanen is a prime example of someone who hasn't earned a top 6

Ok.  But Pearson didn't either.   He just came in, TG had trust in him and said just relax and play your game and look what happened.   Same with BB tryout, same with QHs.   Good thing he did too. There is nothing wrong with asking other prospects and new players to do the same, once we are out of course.   Even before because these guys need their rest.  And isn't that what's happening right now in the bottom six too? 

Edited by IBatch
  • Hydration 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Essential you want to reward the dog before it learns how to obey 

Iron Mike is that you?

 

Joking aside:

1st game of the season I totally agree with the earn your spot sentiment.  But in the context of a covid ravaged roster, once the door closes on the season, seeing what players can do in roles their skill set are most suited to is valuable from an asset management point of view.  Hughes goes down Rathbone is a potential replacement to his offensive minutes and understanding what he can do in that role is valuable.   
 

Personally I am not a fan of the idea of Rathbone and Hughes on the roster long term but then again I felt Jovocop was smallish after Pat Quinn’s defence cores of the early-mid 90s.  Personally I’d be looking to increase his stock as much as I can for a trade.

 

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Ok.  But Pearson didn't either.   He just came in, TG had trust in him and said just relax and play your game and look what happened.   Same with BB tryout, same with QHs.   Good thing he did too. There is nothing wrong with asking other prospects and new players to do the same, once we are out of course.   Even before because these guys need their rest.  And isn't that what's happening right now in the bottom six too? 

Pearson is a proven NHLer that knows the defensive game

No comparison between a vet and a rookie. If Pearson doesn't play the right way then a good coach would bench him.

You don't bench players when they aren't scoring you bench players when they are inconsistent usually defensively Pearson has never lost his defensive side of the game

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

20+ from Utica is likely better than anything for the first year pro. Rathbone was only #1PP and EV in Utica. 
 

He’s extremely unlikely to take Hughes off PP1 anyway so there’s no real point or advantage to it. He’s better off manning the 2nd unit where he’ll actually play if and when he makes the jump. 
 

Sitting Hughes if he’s healthy enough to play hinders his development too. 

Bit of a situation too with Schmidt having so many puck moving D. Need some physical defensive players to play with these puck moving D.

 

Yes, there is a bottle neck on the left side for LHD, could see Schmidt replacing Edler on the left next year with and a cheaper Edler (Physical Defensive Dman) replacement found for the right hand side.  At this point I give money to Hamonic before Edler.

 

As for Rathbone, he needs to be displayed and shopped as I do not see him in the long term plans.  He’s either an NHLer or he isn’t and he’ll get more attention the more he shows at this level.

  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, bbllpp said:

Yes, there is a bottle neck on the left side for LHD, could see Schmidt replacing Edler on the left next year with and a cheaper Edler (Physical Defensive Dman) replacement found for the right hand side.  At this point I give money to Hamonic before Edler.

 

As for Rathbone, he needs to be displayed and shopped as I do not see him in the long term plans.  He’s either an NHLer or he isn’t and he’ll get more attention the more he shows at this level.

Ah I see where you’re coming from now. 
 

Personally I would keep Rathbone for a while. We need all the young D we could get. More we have to the more chances we have at one panning out into a top 4 D. 
 

Rathbone does have a bit of a disadvantage with Hughes/Schmidt already on the team and having a similar skill set. Schmidt can play RD but he works best with a stay at home D like he had with McNabb in Vegas. 
 

I would agree with moving on from Edler. We have a lot of guys ready for extended looks. Probably will be rough at the start without him since he takes up important minutes but it is necessary to go through growing pains with these young D(Rathbone/OJ) for our long-term success. 

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bure2Win said:

:blink:? You must be young?....lol

38 years old been following the Canucks since I was 5 years old. I just have come to realize that it will happen and it will be awesome when it does more because of the wait and the struggles they have gone through

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Following the latest defeat by the lowly Ottawa Senators, our odds of making the playoffs (according to Money Puck) are 2.5%

 

I'd say were all but done now and TG should start playing the rookies to get them some experience and see what they really can do.  TG should stop living in a fantasy land and face the facts that he failed to prepare the team for this season (causing an unprecedented 2 month losing skid) and failed as a coach getting them motivated afterwards,

 

So happy his contract is conveniently up this year.  makes it easy to let him slide of the edge of the earth back to the ECHL. 

 

 

  • RoughGame 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You could see that the team has given up. Not all of them but you can't win with half a team. This year is a wash and the last portion of this year is a no win scenario.

 

There is no way these guys can play the rest of this season with any energy. Five back to backs is brutal.

 

Now is not the time for Green to get upset. He should have done that in the first 20 games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dropping the bar to 59 given how crappy Montreal is.

 

At 59, Montreal needs to finish out at 500 (4 and 4).

Vancouver still needs to go 9 and 4 (and as mentioned they still lose on the tie break so they actually need one more point so 9-3-1)

9 of the Canucks remaining 13 are against Toronto, Winnipeg and Edmonton... that's a tough schedule. 

Not eliminated mathematically but not promising at all. 

 

Oddly enough if Ottawa wins all 6 remaining and Montreal loses all their games, it is possible Ottawa could make the playoffs (if Calgary and Vancouver crap the bed too). Not exactly an epic playoff race... it's almost like Montreal wants to not make it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Provost changed the title to [Edited] Bottom 5 Finish Now in Reach!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...