The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Edited] Bottom 5 Finish Now in Reach!

Rate this topic

Provost

Just now, DefCon1 said:

Jayce is a dime a dozen player which are readily available in Free Agency market and can be gotten cheap in FA or waiver wire. We need actual scorers like Lind in the lineup to add to our scoring depth. We also have so many players in the mould of Jayce like Roussel, Motte, Boyd, Highmore etc. etc.

16 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Jayce is a dime a dozen player which are readily available in free agency market and can be gotten cheap in FA or waiver wire. We need actual scorers like Lind

The difference between Jayce's and Lind's scoring is so small, I don't see how you can call one a scorer and the other a 'dime a dozen"

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=160186  Jayce

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=179938  Kole

I feel for every one of our players.

Everyone can see they're trying to give it 100% but they just don't have the energy to play a full 60 minute game. 

On top of that, now they're expected to play 13 games in 17 days just to appease media.

It sux.

At the end of this joke of a season I hope none of them hangs their heads.

I give all the credit in the world to our players for their effort and will not fault them for the slide.

• Hydration 1

19 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

I feel for every one of our players.

Everyone can see they're trying to give it 100% but they just don't have the energy to play a full 60 minute game. 

On top of that, now they're expected to play 13 games in 17 days just to appease media.

It sux.

At the end of this joke of a season I hope none of them hangs their heads.

I give all the credit in the world to our players for their effort and will not fault them for the slide.

I don't know about anyone else, but this season really doesn't matter to me. I'd like to see them use the last handful of games to get some of the guys like Rathbone, some NHL experience.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I don't know about anyone else, but this season really doesn't matter to me. I'd like to see them use the last handful of games to get some of the guys like Rathbone, some NHL experience.

Tell that to the coach, he bordering on illusional

35 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

This is my thinking too.

I don't see how holding on to a false sense of hope of a playoff appearance benefits anyone. Especially when there's no one in the stands.

I too would much rather see where players like Lind, Rathbone, and, maybe, Gadjovich are in their development.

Giving them some ice time would also serve as a great chance for TG to give them some input as to where they need to improve to give them the best chance of success next season.

48 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Tell that to the coach, he bordering on illusional

Hmmm how do you expect a coach to make roster decision for "next year" when he hasn't even been given a job for next year?

He has to eat his win loss record for his entire career as his report card.  How should the brass expect him to sewer his own job prospects because they can't be bothered to sign him and chose to keep those veteran players at the deadline.  The coach has one job and that is to try to win every night.  It is the senior management that needs to make the longer term decisions.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Hmmm how do you expect a coach to make roster decision for "next year" when he hasn't even been given a job for next year?

He has to eat his win loss record for his entire career as his report card.  How should the brass expect him to sewer his own job prospects because they can't be bothered to sign him and chose to keep those veteran players at the deadline.  The coach has one job and that is to try to win every night.  It is the senior management that needs to make the longer term decisions.

Your right.    Maybe they get his contract done and then he's willing to play the kids more.  Which i'm pretty sure is going to happen.   TG doesn't need the money either.   Sure it's still important.  Have zero issue with coaches at the NHL level making what Horvat and Miller make.   It's kind of stupid they don't really.   They control the careers of every roster player.   Shouldn't be earning a little more then the league minimum, but i do appreciate they also have to earn their raises, which for sure TG has done. Not perfect.   But shown enough he belongs, and our new core has excelled under him given their ages, more then any other coach other then maybe Quin with Linden and Bure. 

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Your right.    Maybe they get his contract done and then he's willing to play the kids more.  Which i'm pretty sure is going to happen.   TG doesn't need the money either.   Sure it's still important.  Have zero issue with coaches at the NHL level making what Horvat and Miller make.   It's kind of stupid they don't really.   They control the careers of every roster player.   Shouldn't be earning a little more then the league minimum, but i do appreciate they also have to earn their raises, which for sure TG has done. Not perfect.   But shown enough he belongs, and our new core has excelled under him given their ages, more then any other coach other then maybe Quin with Linden and Bure. 

Earlier in the season I was assuming that Green wasn't extended because Benning was in the hotseat and unlikely to keep his job beyond this season.  It would make sense for a new GM to pick his own coach... even if that turned out to be Green in the end anyways.

There is no sign that Benning's job is in jeopardy though.  If it was, they should have pulled the trigger already to give time for a replacement to come in and be ready for the draft.  If you don't think Jim is running the team, he shouldn't be making the expansion and draft decisions and any trades that might come of them.

Ideally as I have said many times, they put a President in place basically immediately and he does his own operational review and has oversight on any decisions Benning makes until he figures out who he wants as his GM. 

Larionov for President!

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

Earlier in the season I was assuming that Green wasn't extended because Benning was in the hotseat and unlikely to keep his job beyond this season.  It would make sense for a new GM to pick his own coach... even if that turned out to be Green in the end anyways.

There is no sign that Benning's job is in jeopardy though.  If it was, they should have pulled the trigger already to give time for a replacement to come in and be ready for the draft.  If you don't think Jim is running the team, he shouldn't be making the expansion and draft decisions and any trades that might come of them.

Ideally as I have said many times, they put a President in place basically immediately and he does his own operational review and has oversight on any decisions Benning makes until he figures out who he wants as his GM. 

Larionov for President!

Agreed, plus Larionov will go a long way to creating a culture for Russian players here that we haven't had since Bure. Be a good signal to send to Podz and Tryamkin.

15 minutes ago, Provost said:

It was reported earlier today that, although nothing is signed yet, Green has been offered a contract by the team.

• Hydration 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Agreed, plus Larionov will go a long way to creating a culture for Russian players here that we haven't had since Bure. Be a good signal to send to Podz and Tryamkin.

I think he would be an excellent choice for several reasons:

1.  He is a hockey hall of famer with one of the best NHL and international resumes in existence.  Stanley Cup winner, multiple Olympic gold medallist, multiple world championship gold medals, multiple World Juniors gold medallist, hockey hall of fame, etc, etc,

2.  He has experience as player, agent, coach, and GM.

3.  Russian players are currently undervalued because of their KHL escape possibility.  We could leverage that, especially in a time when the KHL salaries are dropping and players might be looking to make the jump.  He will have massive amounts of intelligence on many Russian players.

4.  We have our Russians coming onto the team, and he could attract more Russian players.  Russians are nationalistic like we are, some guys could come just to play just to help a Russian led team win the Cup.  It is hard for them to say know in free agency if a national legend is knocking on their door.

5.  He would gain instant respect for the franchise, he is a legend.  Other team brass like Shanahan, Yzerman, Sakic, and many others know him really well from their playing days... or would even look up to him from his place in the game.

6.  His nickname of "The Professor" wasn't just because of his glasses.

Edited by Provost
  • Hydration 1

40 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

This is my thinking too.

I don't see how holding on to a false sense of hope of a playoff appearance benefits anyone. Especially when there's no one in the stands.

I too would much rather see where players like Lind, Rathbone, and, maybe, Gadjovich are in their development.

Giving them some ice time would also serve as a great chance for TG to give them some input as to where they need to improve to give them the best chance of success next season.

Exactly, there's no playoffs in the AHL this year, so would even love to see Gadjovich pulled up, even it it was just to get some time on the taxi squad, working out with the main team. Send Eriksson down, even if its just a paper transaction and he just sits at home in Vancouver, waiting on his buyout this summer. Make the space and bring someone else up.

2 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Jayce is a dime a dozen player which are readily available in free agency market and can be gotten cheap in FA or waiver wire. We need actual scorers like Lind in the lineup to add to our scoring depth. We also have so many players in the mould of Jayce like Roussel, Motte, Boyd, Highmore etc. etc.

If we play Lind and he plays well, do we need to protect him at the ED? whereas right now, even if hes exposed, because he's unproven, chances are, Seattle wont take him?

1 hour ago, 204CanucksFan said:

It was reported earlier today that, although nothing is signed yet, Green has been offered a contract by the team.

... that doesn't mean much.  They said they offered Brackett a contract too.  It turned out to be an insultingly low offer that also included public statements that the Benning and Weisbrod intended on taking a bigger role in the day to day operations of his department (downgrading his authority).

If they offered Green half of what he could get on the market... that doesn't go very far.

42 minutes ago, gurn said:

How much was it, and how insulting was it, and to whom was it insulting?

It was insulting to the guy it was offered to and rejected it.

The guy who went on to sign with another team instead so was clearly valued more highly by the market.

• Hydration 1
  • RoughGame 1

• Provost changed the title to [Edited] Bottom 5 Finish Now in Reach!