The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Edited] Bottom 5 Finish Now in Reach!

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, DSVII said:

I know we had a whole argument about semantics last week ahah, but our destiny is kinda no longer in our control, even if we run the table we need Montreal to lose almost all their remaining games.

MTL players could all get covid and have to forfeit their spot there is still hope

40 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Lier I am a die hard and I still believe the Canucks are making the playoffs watch out Tor. Don't speak for me

If Vancouver goes 10-0 to finish the season they can get to 61 points. Both Winnipeg and Montreal are currently at 57 points with 5 games remaining each.  There is literally no margin for error. And even if they’re perfect they still need one if Montreal or Winnipeg to lose at least 4 of 5 

The magic number is essentially 2. 2 more losses in the next 10 and they’re done. 2 more wins by both Montreal and Winnipeg and the Canucks are done 

1 hour ago, FijianCanuck said:

Dude of course they are. They will play out the remaining meaningless games vs Calgary while playoffs begin. You owe Provost an apology my dude.

He thinks he is being clever with something everyone knows. 

I can just imagine him giggling to himself thinking “oh boy, am I ever going to trick them all!  No one else except me has access to the NHL schedule!.”

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I am guaranteeing it. The Canucks will be playing games when the playoffs begin

I said diehards... not delusional trolls.

• Hydration 1

For those that are still saying top 3 picks l, the new lottery rule comes into effect this, well, lottery so it is only lotto for the first 2 pick with a team moving a maximum of 10 spots if selected in a lottery. 

• Thanks 2

Safe to say Canucks and Flames are eliminated. Unless Montreal or Winnipeg want to go on a 5 game losing streak to finish the year... Canucks still need to go 9/1 and the Flames need to go 6/0. 

The math on where the Canucks will finish in the standings is a bit trickier. I would think the Canucks manage 6 points in the last 10 games which will put them at 47. Depending on how Columbus, LA, Detroit, Ottawa and San Jose finish will determine the standings (goes without saying I know). So I don't see a bottom 3 finish (Buffalo, Anaheim and Jersey have those spots locked up). Seattle slides in at 3. So the Canucks will draft 6 to 10 (without any lottery luck/punishment) as I assume that Columbus and Detroit don't get to 47 points either. That 6 to 10 range is going to be tight and tie breaks will likely come in to play. Fortunately the Canucks have lousy RW and ROW's... The 4 games against Calgary will be key. Just need to hope for some lottery kindness for a change.

• Hydration 1
  • Burr 1
9 hours ago, kloubek said:

I got 2nd OA on my 2nd roll of the simulator. I think I'm happy with that. I'm keeping it.

Much better than me... it took 34 tries today for the Canucks to get into the top 2.

• Sad 1
10 minutes ago, nergish said:

Top three-five pick this year ladies and gents. Clarke, Power, Hughes?

Power

Hughes

Clarke

Guenther

Eklund

Beniers

Or trade down for Ceulemans

Posted (edited)

Owen Power for me. I like Clarke because he's a righty, but Power should be a top-pairing shutdown Dman that will cover large swaths of ice. We desperately need that.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs

I think had we not gotten Covid, we would still have finished just out of the Playoffs. The only difference is that our draft position would have been worse.

28 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I think had we not gotten Covid, we would still have finished just out of the Playoffs. The only difference is that our draft position would have been worse.

Maybe. Habs did have a rough stretch when we were out and when we got back and we were playing well prior to COVID. Would have been interesting. 

6 hours ago, Provost said:

Much better than me... it took 34 tries today for the Canucks to get into the top 2.

I really wish you hadn't told me that. I enjoyed living in a world where something went right for out team... albeit briefly. 

• Haha 1

Lol the canucks are going to do the typical canucks fashion.. as soon as they are eliminated they will go on a winning streak to end the season and finish with the worse possible pick.. they like doing that.. its all about the pride who cares about the future 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Lol the canucks are going to do the typical canucks fashion.. as soon as they are eliminated they will go on a winning streak to end the season and finish with the worse possible pick.. they like doing that.. its all about the pride who cares about the future 

I highly doubt it.

6 of the last 9 games are back to backs. We end the season playing 4 games in 5 nights with travel(Home/Away back to backs). Our road record is 7-13-1 and we play 7 of the last 9 on the road. We've also lost the last 2 home games. We play 9 games in the last 15 days. Never more than 1 day off between games and we could be spending 4 of those 6 off days travelling if we decide not to travel right after one of the games beforehand which I doubt since the players are gonna be bagged after games and probably want to rest right away.

The last 5 games we've allowed 24 goals against(4.8 goals against in the last 5 games) and have only scored 10 goals in the last 6 games(1.67 goal per game in last 6 games).

3 more games vs the Oilers in Edmonton and 2 vs the Jets in Winnipeg.  Flames have 3 days off when before they play us the 1st time and another 2 days off before they play us a 2nd time(4 games in the last 10 days for Flames/7 games in the last 10 days for Canucks).

I'd be surprised if we won more than 2-3 games. I wouldn't be surprised if we lost every game if the teams we face don't crap the bed or unless Demko/Holtby steal one(but they've been average as of late). This team isn't gonna be practicing much. This is why I keep screaming to rotate guys and play the kids more. Our players are only human and recently dealt with COVID.

9 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I highly doubt it.

6 of the last 9 games are back to backs. We end the season playing 4 games in 5 nights with travel(Home/Away back to backs). Our road record is 7-13-1 and we play 7 of the last 9 on the road. We've also lost the last 2 home games. We play 9 games in the last 15 days. Never more than 1 day off between games and we could be spending 4 of those 6 off days travelling if we decide not to travel right after one of the games beforehand which I doubt since the players are gonna be bagged after games and probably want to rest right away.

The last 5 games we've allowed 24 goals against(4.8 goals against in the last 5 games) and have only scored 10 goals in the last 6 games(1.67 goal per game in last 6 games).

3 more games vs the Oilers in Edmonton and 2 vs the Jets in Winnipeg.  Flames have 3 days off when before they play us the 1st time and another 2 days off before they play us a 2nd time(4 games in the last 10 days for Flames/7 games in the last 10 days for Canucks).

I'd be surprised if we won more than 2-3 games. I wouldn't be surprised if we lost every game if the teams we face don't crap the bed or unless Demko/Holtby steal one(but they've been average as of late). This team isn't gonna be practicing much. This is why I keep screaming to rotate guys and play the kids more. Our players are only human and recently dealt with COVID.

sure but the oilers are pretty much set for the 2nd seed in the conference.. so for all we know they might rest some ppl for the playoff.. and who knows what the flames will do lol they could tank for a higher pick.