The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Edited] Bottom 5 Finish Now in Reach!

Rate this topic

Provost

24 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Oh yes, so we are potentially a top 5 draft pick. The big shame of this is that it is a bit of a crap shoot considering the limited exposure these kids got. I wouldn’t be surprised if we won it for the first time and end up with nothing special. :picard:

True, I will say Powers looks good and Brandt too. 

• Cheers 1

If there's one obvious statement to be said about The Vancouver Canucks, it's that this team is not close to being a competitor. 

We are still, very much in draft/develop mode.

We have too many glaring holes in all areas of our game except between the pipes.

Imo, the only untouchables (for now) are:

Thatcher Demko

Bo Horvat

Brock Boeser

Nils Hoglander

Elias Pettersson

Jack Rathbone

Vasilli Podkolzin

Kole Lind

Jonah Gadjovich

Jett Woo

Lukas Jasek

Linus Karlsson

All others should be,made available, with draft picks and prospects being the desired returns.

The most glaring omission from my untouchable list is Quinn Hughes. I, like everyone else, have no problem with his offensive production. It's his total lack of defensive ability that makes him an expendable. His defensive woes are only magnified by his average ice time of 22 minutes. In fact, I believe, he is the biggest weakness on our blueline.

Travis Green is trying to develop a team that plays a full 200 foot game. QH does not fit this. He fits a team that uses an, all offense strategy. I like NJ or Allain Vigneult and Philly.

The other name is JT Miller. At 28, Miller does not fit the development strategy but, he has shown that he is a top-six forward with center ability. He could be an attractive piece for Minnesota, St. Louis, or Dallas.

Stepping back also allows all the bad contracts to expire.

I must also, once again, express my desire to see JB fired. Still being a bottom feeder after 7 years is inexcusable. I believe a fresh outlook is needed to move this team forward.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

If there's one obvious statement to be said about The Vancouver Canucks, it's that this team is not close to being a competitor. 

We have too many glaring holes in all areas of our game except between the pipes.

Thatcher Demko

Bo Horvat

Brock Boeser

Nils Hoglander

Elias Pettersson

Jack Rathbone

Vasilli Podkolzin

Kole Lind

Jonah Gadjovich

Jett Woo

Lukas Jasek

Linus Karlsson

All others should be,made available, with draft picks and prospects being the desired returns.

The most glaring omission from my untouchable list is Quinn Hughes. I, like everyone else, have no problem with his offensive production. It's his total lack of defensive ability that makes him an expendable. His defensive woes are only magnified by his average ice time of 22 minutes. In fact, I believe, he is the biggest weakness on our blueline.

Travis Green is trying to develop a team that plays a full 200 foot game. QH does not fit this. He fits a team that uses an, all offense strategy. I like NJ or Allain Vigneult and Philly.

The other name is JT Miller. At 28, Miller does not fit the development strategy but, he has shown that he is a top-six forward with center ability. He could be an attractive piece for Minnesota, St. Louis, or Dallas.

I must also, once again, express my desire to see JB fired. Still being a bottom feeder after 7 years is inexcusable. I believe a fresh outlook is needed to move this team forward.

More so in develop mode. We only need a few more pieces from the next 2 drafts(a top 6 RW/top 4 RD/3rd C but 3rd C can be had outside 1st or elsewhere).

We got a plethora of guys on that cusp of being able to play and needing NHL experience(Hog/Rathbone/OJ/Lind/Gadjo/Pod) and a bunch of guys still needing developing(Woo/Jurmo/etc).

Hughes is on my untouchable list. Rathbone or OJ haven't done nearly enough to deem him expendable.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

We are going to go on a bit of a winning streak now.  I see us drafting 8-12.  Benning will still get us a good prospect there.  Cuelamons or Morrow would be okay in that spot.  

You have clearly followed the team... because that is exactly our style.

Once we are mathematically eliminated, we will win a bunch of games.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

46 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

Thatcher Demko

Bo Horvat

Brock Boeser

Nils Hoglander

Elias Pettersson

Jack Rathbone

Vasilli Podkolzin

Kole Lind

Jonah Gadjovich

Jett Woo

Lukas Jasek

Linus Karlsson

I would put Miller on the untouchable list for now.  Power forward like him are perfect for EP and Boeser to play with. Having said that, he will be a UFA in two years after this season. So if we can get a massive return for him, we should consider it. But I don't know if the right timing for trading him is this offseason hence, keep him on the untouchable list for the time being.

I understand the rationale for not including QH. But I honestly can't see a return that can get us an upgrade on QH. The only trade I'd do involving QH is if it brings back a young RHD of similar caliber but those guys are even more valuable than QH (e.g., Makar, Ekblad, etc).

Also, is QH not able to play 200 foot game or Travis Green not able to coach QH to play a 200 foot game? 

I'm somewhat doubtful that Travis is preaching a 200 foot game.

In fact, I think Travis adopts an offensive system. We play a style that helps us to generate good scoring chances hence, relatively high goals for compared to shots for last season. But his style also results in giving up a lot of high danger chances. Because we've had good goalies (Marky and now Demko), our goals against is relative low compared to shots and high danger chances against and his style worked to some degree last season.

I'd like us to get a coach that preaches a different style of game, one that doesn't rely so heavily on goaltending. Let's see if QH fails to adjust his game to a new coach before even considering a trade.

There's not much of a complete game aspect in Green's system.

8 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Anaheim clinches the 2nd worst record.

Lowest we can go is 3rd last which we are ranked currently.

If we do finish bottom five the draft will be more fun to watch.  

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Where does Seattle pick ? They probably bump the Canucks down a spot.

I think I read they will have the number 3 lottery position. They could move up or down depending on them corrupt folks spinning those balls

1 hour ago, Toyotasfan said:

Where does Seattle pick ? They probably bump the Canucks down a spot.

3rd spot for the draft for the lottery draft.

Then it's up to the hockey gods (aka Bettman..lol) to determine #1 and #2 after drawing the lottery balls.

It was looking like we were going to pick 10th-12th.  

Assuming that we win half of our games, we will get the 7th or 8th pick overall and more importantly be in the running for the top two spots (only 10 teams enter the lottery as opposed to 15).  

Great news on the draft front.  

No way we slide into 4th or 5th btw, don’t get your hopes up fellow Canucks. 

7 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

It was looking like we were going to pick 10th-12th.  

Assuming that we win half of our games, we will get the 7th or 8th pick overall and more importantly be in the running for the top two spots (only 10 teams enter the lottery as opposed to 15).  

Great news on the draft front.  

No way we slide into 4th or 5th btw, don’t get your hopes up fellow Canucks. 

I wouldn't be too sure about 10-12th. 6 of the last 7 games are back to backs and we have a losing record in them.

Even if we manage to win 2 games we'd still be drafting 5th prior to the lotto.

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Sens and Flames play today. Hoping for a 3 point game   

Was thinking we should hope the Flamers get 2 pts.

IFFFF Habbies blow their last games, Cal could sneak in the back door to slot #4(extremely unlikely).

But in that scenario(Habs lose their 2), the Flamers would be more motivated in the final 4 games vs our guys.

Tbh, this could conceivably facilitate a viable tank-angle. Well, that's my 2 Yen on this miserable subject; as I really want a shot at a very high selection. Our guys DESERVE it!