The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Edited] Bottom 5 Finish Now in Reach!

Rate this topic

Provost

18 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Was thinking we should hope the Flamers get 2 pts.

IFFFF Habbies blow their last games, Cal could sneak in the back door to slot #4(extremely unlikely).

But in that scenario(Habs lose their 2), the Flamers would be more motivated in the final 4 games vs our guys.

Tbh, this could conceivably facilitate a viable tank-angle. Well, that's my 2 Yen on this miserable subject; as I really want a shot at a very high selection. Our guys DESERVE it!

Flames up 4-1 in the 2nd intermission. They will likely win, Sens played last night.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

This a special year, a year where there is so much uncertainty of where most players in the draft will seat

This is a year, where the 1st overall could be gotten..............what would the cost be?

The reason I ask is, as our window is 2 to 3 years away, Miller and Horvat will be nearing 28 or 29 years of age

But anyone we draft this year, will just be entering their prime as Miller and Horvat start aging ............it is something to ponder!

So 3 teams are looking for a top line player.................

Buffalo is looking for a player to play with Eichel...............................................................sitting #1

Columbus is also looking for a 1st line center....................................................................sitting #6

Ottawa is looking for a 1st line center (something that does not grow on trees)...............sitting # 10

This will not be their final positions, but it does give us a clearer understanding of where they are, and what we may be able to ask from them.

IMO, "IF" we can entice one of them to cough up asset (s), then maybe dangling an asset like Miller, would be a great idea...............................

1. Miller to Buffalo for #1 OA, would be a great move, and with Eichel freaking out, and being close to jumping ship..........maybe we add, but how much?

2. Miller to Columbus for #6 and #25 would be a great move as well.

3. Miller to Ottawa "IF" they were to win #1, might be a move they would do

All 3 of these teams has indicated they would like to acquire that player that starts their move out of the basement. I would think that this is the year that would make us a future contender. I am not sold that Miller is that man, long term.

Additionally, people have to look down the road that 2 to 3 years, and ask, could we not trade our first at that time for a player along the lines of Miller? Moving Miller allows alot of things to happen, and having 2 picks in the top 10 would go along way to completing a re-build that was stopped too early. Could it be done and should it be done are my questions. I also see the set back as allowing us to be in contention for a top 10 pick next year or Wright if the stars were to align.

There is no doubt that it is drastic, but we are behind Colorado, Carolina, Edmonton, NYR, Ottawa, and Phili in our rebuilds..........Colorado, Edmonton, and Carolina just completing them, and Anaheim and LA not being as far back as some people would like to think.

So sure............tar and feather me, but give it a thought first

Here is what is actually going to happen. 

We will draft 4th and select Luke Hughes.

We will then, after drafting Luke, trade Bo for Jack Hughes.

we will have the three Hughes’ boys, and ticket sales will go through the roof. 

There I protected you from the axe welding hordes, who will instead come for me. :frantic:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Here is what is actually going to happen. 

We will draft 4th and select Luke Hughes.

We will then, after drafting Luke, trade Bo for Jack Hughes.

we will have the three Hughes’ boys, and ticket sales will go through the roof. 

There I protected you from the axe welding hordes, who will instead come for me. :frantic:

I have to say Alf, you took the wrong meds.....................Don't go to far away from your house! Exlax works fast! LOL

No sorry buds, I am not a Hughes fan.......I love Quinn, but would trade him in a NY second for a Chychrun + or that type

Jack will be a spec on someone's visor in the playoffs.................

Luke has great credentials, but I would take Clarke way before him, same with Powers, Beniers, Johnson...........but that is just me!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

This a special year, a year where there is so much uncertainty of where most players in the draft will seat

This is a year, where the 1st overall could be gotten..............what would the cost be?

The reason I ask is, as our window is 2 to 3 years away, Miller and Horvat will be nearing 28 or 29 years of age

But anyone we draft this year, will just be entering their prime as Miller and Horvat start aging ............it is something to ponder!

Buffalo is looking for a player to play with Eichel...............................................................sitting #1

Columbus is also looking for a 1st line center....................................................................sitting #6

Ottawa is looking for a 1st line center (something that does not grow on trees)...............sitting # 10

This will not be their final positions, but it does give us a clearer understanding of where they are, and what we may be able to ask from them.

IMO, "IF" we can entice one of them to cough up asset (s), then maybe dangling an asset like Miller, would be a great idea...............................

1. Miller to Buffalo for #1 OA, would be a great move, and with Eichel freaking out, and being close to jumping ship..........maybe we add, but how much?

All 3 of these teams have indicated they would like to acquire that player that starts their move out of the basement. I would think that this is the year that would make us a future contender. I am not sold that Miller is that man, long term.

Additionally, people have to look down the road that 2 to 3 years, and ask, could we not trade our first at that time for a player along the lines of Miller? Moving Miller allows alot of things to happen, and having 2 picks in the top 10 would go along way to completing a re-build that was stopped too early. Could it be done and should it be done are my questions. I also see the set back as allowing us to be in contention for a top 10 pick next year or Wright if the stars were to align.

There is no doubt that it is drastic, but we are behind Colorado, Carolina, Edmonton, NYR, Ottawa, and Phili in our rebuilds..........Colorado, Edmonton, and Carolina just completing them, and Anaheim and LA not being as far back as some people would like to think.

No team is gonna trade Miller for a top 10 pick for this year.  If anything, it'll be similar to the Canucks deal...a conditional first.

Miller for 2022 1st.  If pick is in the top 10, the pick is deferred to 2023 (not lottery protected). 

Or maybe teams choice of giving up either 1st 2022 or 1st 2023.  Like Ottawa deal with Colorado. 

22 minutes ago, BPA said:

No team is gonna trade Miller for a top 10 pick for this year.  If anything, it'll be similar to the Canucks deal...a conditional first.

Miller for 2022 1st.  If pick is in the top 10, the pick is deferred to 2023 (not lottery protected). 

Or maybe teams choice of giving up either 1st 2022 or 1st 2023.  Like Ottawa deal with Colorado. 

Normally I would agree but the fact that Miller is playing better than when we traded for him toppled with the fact that his cap hit is a bargain already, especially in a COVID cap world and will have an extra year on it makes me think we get a bit more for him.

IMO if we put him on the market for the trade deadline he'd be the top target.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Normally I would agree but the fact that Miller is playing better than when we traded for him toppled with the fact that his cap hit is a bargain already, especially in a COVID cap world and will have an extra year on it makes me think we get a bit more for him.

IMO if we put him on the market for the trade deadline he'd be the top target.

I agree, and was my point.

This year of any year, would Miller be of a top 10 value, mostly because scouts are so uncertain.

IMO, when Miller was traded, I think the though was he was a decent 2nd line player, and the value of that was a mid-1st (15thish)

I do not think Tampa expected Vancouver to play so well, nor did they see Miller elevating his game like he has

And now that Miller is obviously a strong 1st line player on a very good contract, with term remaining, I think that ups his value even more

I do not see it unreasonable to think he could fetch a top 6 to 10 OA pick, if we paid a 15th OA to start with

I would also say, I don't see alot of difference in talent between 6 and 10, either, and the top 5 are not a clear cut better than them.

IMO, it is a very flat draft at the top this year

This can be underlined by the fact that Power's, Geunther, Hughes, Eklund, Clarke and Edvinsson have all been talked about as a possible #1 OA pick

3 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I agree, and was my point.

This year of any year, would Miller be of a top 10 value, mostly because scouts are so uncertain.

IMO, when Miller was traded, I think the though was he was a decent 2nd line player, and the value of that was a mid-1st (15thish)

I do not think Tampa expected Vancouver to play so well, nor did they see Miller elevating his game like he has

And now that Miller is obviously a strong 1st line player on a very good contract, with term remaining, I think that ups his value even more

I do not see it unreasonable to think he could fetch a top 6 to 10 OA pick, if we paid a 15th OA to start with

I would also say, I don't see alot of difference in talent between 6 and 10, either, and the top 5 are not a clear cut better than them.

IMO, it is a very flat draft at the top this year

This can be underlined by the fact that Power's, Geunther, Hughes, Eklund, Clarke and Edvinsson have all been talked about as a possible #1 OA pick

Mark Stone as an upcoming UFA got a 1st round prospect(Brannstrom 15th overall) and a 2nd.

Top 10 picks are hard to trade for. There's a good chance you get a long-term player from it. From that sense I probably wouldn't trade a top 10 pick for any veteran player of Miller's calibre personally. Depends on the team and circumstances too.

I do think we could get a good package though. A bit more than what we paid for most certainly.

12 hours ago, BPA said:

Under no circumstance should Miller be traded.  He is exactly what this team needs,  If anyone thinks trading a gritty, hard working, skilled, passionate player for another Swede or Finesse player is the way to go, just look where we sit today after 20 years of soft, Euro-Finesse Leadership / Prominent players dating back to Sundin, Naslund, the Sedin's and now Peterson.    That sort of player might be entertaining to watch for their pure skill in the regular season but anyone that has been alive long enough, knows full well that it takes toughness, grit. attitude and fire in the belly to go right to the end and win the cup.  All of which you typically wont find with those Soft Finesse players.  How long do you think 160 Lbs Peterson would last in an "all- out" final series against one of the bigger tougher teams.  We've already seen him picked up and thrown into the ground like a pop can. 

This team needs to beef up size wise and get a few character players with some actual skill on the bottom 2 lines so they that can defend themselves, the teams pride and add some depth to this team.  Watching big Edler get the $Sh1t knocked out of him last week by Simmonds is a perfect example of why having Euro's on our team is of no advantage when the things get tough. Edler just let Simmonds beat the crap out him - didn't even try just like the Sedins getting repeatedly punched right in the face and doing absolutely nothing - in the Boston series in 2011 and Naslund before that when he had Steve Moore knock his brains out.  It was Bertuzzi that paid Moore back later on NOT Naslund.  All Disgraceful !   Even Sydney Crosby knows he has to play with edge and drop the gloves sometimes. That's what it takes in the NHL and just the way things work !

I'm fully aware that finding guys like that takes time and hopefully JB can do just that as I hope he realizes we need some 'Size and Drive" on this team not end up resigning a bunch of over paid six foot something players like Edler, Sutter, Beagle, Eriksson and especially the No.1 floater - Lazy Jake.  ALL MUST GO.

Lets see what JB does in the off season.   He better not resign those over 30 senior citizens back for next year.   WE NEED CHANGE or we will face another 7 years of mediocre results and continue to be pushed around like a bunch of pansies.

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Under no circumstance should Miller be traded.  He is exactly what this team needs,  If anyone thinks trading a gritty, hard working, skilled, passionate player for another Swede or Finesse player is the way to go, just look where we sit today after 20 years of soft, Euro-Finesse Leadership / Prominent players dating back to Sundin, Naslund, the Sedin's and now Peterson.    That sort of player might be entertaining to watch for their pure skill in the regular season but anyone that has been alive long enough, knows full well that it takes toughness, grit. attitude and fire in the belly to go right to the end and win the cup.  All of which you typically wont find with those Soft Finesse players.  How long do you think 160 Lbs Peterson would last in an out final series against one of the bigger tougher teams.  We've already seen him picked up and thrown into the ground like a pop can. 

This team needs to beef up size wise and get a few character players with some actual skill on the bottom 2 lines so they that can defend themselves, the teams pride and add some depth to this team.  Watching big Edler get the $Sh1t knocked out of him last week by Simmonds is a perfect example of why having Euro's on our team is of no advantage when the things get tough. Edler just let Simmonds beat the crap out him - didn't even try just like the Sedins getting repeatedly punched right in the face and doing absolutely nothing - in the Boston series in 2011 and Naslund before that when he had Steve Moore knock his brains out.  It was Bertuzzi that paid Moore back later on NOT Naslund.  All Disgraceful !   Even Sydney Crosby knows he has to play with edge and drop the gloves sometimes. That's what it takes in the NHL and just the way things work !

I'm fully aware that finding guys like that takes time and hopefully JB can do just that as I hope he realizes we need some 'Size and Drive" on this team not end up resigning a bunch of over paid six foot something players like Edler, Sutter, Beagle, Eriksson and especially the No.1 floater - Lazy Jake.  ALL MUST GO.

Lets see what JB does in the off season.   He better not resign those over 30 senior citizens back for next year.   WE NEED CHANGE or we will face another 7 years of mediocre results and continue to be pushed around like a bunch of pansies.

Miller shouldn't be re-signed. He is gonna command a lot of money and term the way he has played with us. It'll be his last chance at cashing in. So we either move him next season and maximize return, move him the following season when he's an upcoming UFA and get less of a return or lose him in FA.

With the amount of youth coming up I would be fine with putting him on the market next trade deadline and getting the most for him. He could likely net us 2 pieces(1st and a good prospect) that could be with us for a long time minimum next year. We can save up our cap and sign someone in FA in 2022.

We aren't gonna be a good team next season with the amount of inexperience we are gonna be running with. It's gonna be a developing year. Trading Miller would net us a 1st and a good prospect minimum next year.

9 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

All 3 of these teams have indicated they would like to acquire that player that starts their move out of the basement. I would think that this is the year that would make us a future contender. I am not sold that Miller is that man, long term.

Interesting way of thinking Jan.

I think, we are at a cross road. Either Benning believes, he now has the horses, and we will start to see some result over the next two years. Or we accept more/better is needed, and we start to trade players for maximum return. Both Bo and Miller will be looking at good increases, so the team may struggle to find the funds to make it stronger, unless they draft a few more studs, that can enter on ELC's. There are some real gems coming in the next two drafts after this one.

Question though will also be, would Aqualini be interested in a continued rebuild of the team? If Benning says to FA, they need to sell off a star to get more picks, thus prolonging the rebuild, he could be history...

Edited by spook007
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

love this proposal Jan, Now is the time to pick up first rounders. imagine having 3 young stars entering the league in 2 years, it would really help our cap situation moving forward

• Cheers 1

Let's just finish this year with no more than 2 wins and draft no worse than 6th. Get through the expansion draft, clear some cap space , sign the kids and see what kind of money is left is left.

Next year is a new day.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

there could be a potential three way trade  before draft day.

canucks: OUT: miller and  our first top 5 pick IN: two 1sts, two 2nds (2021) two 2nds  and a third (2022)

team A: OUT: a 1st(2021) 2nd(2021, 3rd2021) IN top  5 1st 2021

team B: OUT: 1st (top5)2021 2nd,2021,2nd 2022 IN: miller

12 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

If we could trade Eichel for Miller plus our first that would be a major coupe.    But why do you hate Miller so much lol... Damn that would be a cruel thing to do lol...

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, appleboy said:

Let's just finish this year with no more than 2 wins and draft no worse than 6th. Get through the expansion draft, clear some cap space , sign the kids and see what kind of money is left is left.

Next year is a new day.

Wholeheartedly agree Mr Apple.

Don’t forget about Seattle, if we only get two wins that would get us to 4th, plus Seattle 5th... and then we could drop two spots to 7th.  

Anyways very unlikely that we drop two spots with these new odds, I’d take 5th or 6th overall pick and be pretty happy as we will get a great dman or Center. 

i get the feeling if cdc gm's made the trades, we would be in a weaker spot than we're in now. some good ideas but a gm has to rely on his scouts and personell to make the right decisions. we don't have to be accountable for our opinions. if JB says 2 more years and we tade JT and BO for draft picks, how many years will it be , 4 before we're competitive?

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

love this proposal Jan, Now is the time to pick up first rounders. imagine having 3 young stars entering the league in 2 years, it would really help our cap situation moving forward

Thanks Petey

My thought is that our core to compete for a cup should be condensed. This should include our drafting (short term), So then, if this and next years picks can yield 3 ELC 1st tier players on ELC's (Never mind the other picks), we should have enough talent accumulated to be a contender for 5 to 8 years. Pending on if we can shore up our right side defense.

My thoughts would be, then after getting through next years draft, we have the opportunity to acquire a few vets through latter drafts, but I see the next 2 years as being critical to our long term evolution. I see, if we traded Miller of being in a similar draft position next year, maybe a little higher. But to enter this years draft with 2 top 10 ish picks, would be ideal. Then a top 10 next year. Then out of the top 10 the year after. ( I do not have grand illusions of Wright or Bedard......it is just not in our cards) , so the way to counter that is to build a deep team. IMO this is the way to do it.

I guess my view is that if not condensed, our core gets too spread out in terms of years, and we always are just short of having a deep enough team to be a real contender. I look at teams like Ottawa, NY Rangers, Tampa, Colorado, etc and see that it is home grown talent has or will elevate them. Sure some traded pieces finish it off, but as you can see with Toffoli and Miller, adding those pieces too early is counter productive. As it takes you to the middle of the pact too fast, and waters down your picks.

As for Millers value, I disagree with you a little in that I believe Miller;s value is higher, but if I accept you evaluation of a 15th + a 2nd, I look no further than Colorado who added Byram (4th OA) and Newhook (16th OA), as a good example, then add the 2nd rounder, who could be a goalie or a defenseman, who add to your depth. I just see it as a win, win.

Anyways, it won't happen, but that is how i see a rebuild working. And if you look at some of the rebuilds in the NHL, I am not alone.

27 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i get the feeling if cdc gm's made the trades, we would be in a weaker spot than we're in now. some good ideas but a gm has to rely on his scouts and personell to make the right decisions. we don't have to be accountable for our opinions. if JB says 2 more years and we tade JT and BO for draft picks, how many years will it be , 4 before we're competitive?

I actually would not trade Bo, I don't think, Jo

On Benning's comment about 2 more years......didn't he say something about 2 more years, 2 years ago? I think he did.

IMO, you draft your elite or higher skilled players and you trade or sign UFA's for the complimentary pieces