The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Edited] Bottom 5 Finish Now in Reach!

Rate this topic

Provost

32 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Thanks Petey

My thought is that our core to compete for a cup should be condensed. This should include our drafting (short term), So then, if this and next years picks can yield 3 ELC 1st tier players on ELC's (Never mind the other picks), we should have enough talent accumulated to be a contender for 5 to 8 years. Pending on if we can shore up our right side defense.

My thoughts would be, then after getting through next years draft, we have the opportunity to acquire a few vets through latter drafts, but I see the next 2 years as being critical to our long term evolution. I see, if we traded Miller of being in a similar draft position next year, maybe a little higher. But to enter this years draft with 2 top 10 ish picks, would be ideal. Then a top 10 next year. Then out of the top 10 the year after. ( I do not have grand illusions of Wright or Bedard......it is just not in our cards) , so the way to counter that is to build a deep team. IMO this is the way to do it.

I guess my view is that if not condensed, our core gets too spread out in terms of years, and we always are just short of having a deep enough team to be a real contender. I look at teams like Ottawa, NY Rangers, Tampa, Colorado, etc and see that it is home grown talent has or will elevate them. Sure some traded pieces finish it off, but as you can see with Toffoli and Miller, adding those pieces too early is counter productive. As it takes you to the middle of the pact too fast, and waters down your picks.

As for Millers value, I disagree with you a little in that I believe Miller;s value is higher, but if I accept you evaluation of a 15th + a 2nd, I look no further than Colorado who added Byram (4th OA) and Newhook (16th OA), as a good example, then add the 2nd rounder, who could be a goalie or a defenseman, who add to your depth. I just see it as a win, win.

Anyways, it won't happen, but that is how i see a rebuild working. And if you look at some of the rebuilds in the NHL, I am not alone.

I agree.

As much as Miller has been a good player for us, hindsight shows the acquisition was a little premature.  We won't have him under club control when Benning says we will be ready to start competing again.  His value will never be higher than it is right now, and have to start maximizing assets rather than watching them walk out the door for nothing or devalue to nothing.

If the right deal comes along for Miller, we need to make that move.  The Buffalo and Columbus ideas are good ones.  If we could get the Buffalo 1st rounder for Miller, even if we had to send our 2nd along with it that... or if we could wrangle a way to include a cap dump so that we could sign Petterson and Hughes to longer term deals instead of bridge deals... which could pay dividends down the road once the cap started inching upwards.

You would think Buffalo would be desperate to get better now, so handing them a high end Eichel linemate should be really intriguing.  It could also make Skinner more effective... as that would be a pretty strong top line.  A pick that will help in 2 years has much less value to a team that is close to imploding if they don't have short term improvement.

We would probably have to make the trade before the draft lottery so that Buffalo is only trading away "a, 18.5% chance" at the top pick rather than possibly being cemented into it.  For us, having pick 1,2, or 3 holds similar value as there are a bunch of D and centres in the top 10 that we could really use.

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Miller shouldn't be re-signed. He is gonna command a lot of money and term the way he has played with us. It'll be his last chance at cashing in. So we either move him next season and maximize return, move him the following season when he's an upcoming UFA and get less of a return or lose him in FA.

With the amount of youth coming up I would be fine with putting him on the market next trade deadline and getting the most for him. He could likely net us 2 pieces(1st and a good prospect) that could be with us for a long time minimum next year. We can save up our cap and sign someone in FA in 2022.

We aren't gonna be a good team next season with the amount of inexperience we are gonna be running with. It's gonna be a developing year. Trading Miller would net us a 1st and a good prospect minimum next year.

i see you your point .

We are now in position to draft 5th overall(4th last) which is the highest we can draft without winning the lottery. If we get 3 more points we move up to 7th/8th overall depending on how LA does in their last 3 games.

Might want to change the thread to bottom 10 finish now in reach.

29 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Let's avoid gettin' our knickers in a knot..this tendency hasn't prevented JB from plucking gems, thus far.

Yep, so far 50% of our top 10 picks have worked out!

Will it be heads or tails this year?  I guess we will know in a few years.gene hackman flip a coin GIF

Edited by Provost

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

Will it be heads or tails this year?  I guess we will know in a few years.gene hackman flip a coin GIF

Which serves the avg CDC'er well to remind many outcomes in life hinge on a glass half full/empty outlook. Many seem predisposed to negativity, with each & every passing squall.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Provost said:

That’s quite a negative take on the drafting...

JB has never had the luxury of drafting in top 4, and only once in top 5...

How about this for a stat, so far all our 1st round picks outside top 6 has been hits?

So maybe a few wins now will result in another home run...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

How about this for a stat, so far all our 1st round picks outside top 6 has been hits?

Name them

6 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

My dog could draft as well as JB

During the rebuilding phase every team has first round misses.  The Hawks missed with Skille and Barker, but they made up for the misses with successes in later rounds.  We missed on Jake, but look at Hogs.  We missed on OJ, but look at Bone.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

Okay Hoglander and Rathbone both small players that wont stand up to the grind and physical punishment of the playoffs. 

Actually Hogs and Bone are both built like blocks, and will do even better in heavier games.  

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

I am not sure how stating the truth is negative.

We just aren’t guaranteed to get an impact player.  The only reason a person could consider that “negative” is if they have an entirely unrealistic expectation. 

I posted a deep dive into our drafting a while back.  Benning came out above average in his 1st round drafting compared with various scouting lists.  Not genius level, but above average (worse than guys like Button and Pronman).  I think pretty much everyone agrees drafting is Benning’s strong suit.

In my opinion it doesn’t make up for his other shortcomings.  If the team is as bad today as it was 7 years ago when he took over the job... despite being allowed to spend to the cap each year.... the buck has to stop at the guy in charge of building the team.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

Fire Benning

That might very well happen, and you’ve suggested the Hunter brothers would be good replacements.  How is firing Benning improving us though?  In what ways are the Hunter brothers better?  

7 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Let's avoid gettin' our knickers in a knot..this tendency hasn't prevented JB from plucking gems, thus far.

Not really in a knot haha. Just making fun of our typical canucks luck. As others have stated this draft year is most likely a crapshoot anyway and the prospects of funding a 'Boeser' type pick outside the top 10 look pretty good.

Although Brandt Clarke wouldn't look bad either ;)

• Cheers 2

21 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Okay Hoglander and Rathbone both small players that wont stand up to the grind and physical punishment of the playoffs. 

Demko, Perhaps Lind and Gadjovic... Gaudette and Tryamkin... all good picks

Edited by spook007