The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Edited] Bottom 5 Finish Now in Reach!

Rate this topic

Provost

21 hours ago, Provost said:

I am not sure how stating the truth is negative.

We just aren’t guaranteed to get an impact player.  The only reason a person could consider that “negative” is if they have an entirely unrealistic expectation. 

I posted a deep dive into our drafting a while back.  Benning came out above average in his 1st round drafting compared with various scouting lists.  Not genius level, but above average (worse than guys like Button and Pronman).  I think pretty much everyone agrees drafting is Benning’s strong suit.

In my opinion it doesn’t make up for his other shortcomings.  If the team is as bad today as it was 7 years ago when he took over the job... despite being allowed to spend to the cap each year.... the buck has to stop at the guy in charge of building the team.

It was more like the way statistics can be use to favour any argument, I reacted to...

Jake and Ollie haven't lived up to their draft position (although in Ollies case I'll give Benning some leeway as nobody could have predicted the Injuries, the boy has had to overcome.

Ok this can relate to... Regarding shortcomings, it all depends on the eyes that sees and how folks wants the rebuild to be carried out. A lot of debates about this else where, has he really been rebuilding for 7 years, or were his hands slightly tied in the beginning with the Sedins.

One thing falls back to Benning though is his original statement that is could be a quick retool... Don't think that was ever going to be possible, and just to keep fans invested in the team... who knows.

21 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Okay Hoglander and Rathbone both small players that wont stand up to the grind and physical punishment of the playoffs. 

Not sure you're right about Hoglander... The boy is short but built like a tank. Did you see the hit he absorbed against Jets last night... Nothing wrong with the physicality of Hogs

In saying that, I'd also like to see more physical players with size, but maybe Benning doesn't want to risk drafting another Virtanen... ?

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Okay Hoglander and Rathbone both small players that wont stand up to the grind and physical punishment of the playoffs. 

Maybe not as much for Hogger. Dudes built and is an athletic freak. He’s the type of player built to handle that sort of play. 

Rathbone is a great skater but we gotta surround our young D with big/defensive guys that can compliment them. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Maybe not as much for Hogger. Dudes built and is an athletic freak. He’s the type of player built to handle that sort of play. 

Rathbone is a great skater but we gotta surround our young D with big/defensive guys that can compliment them. 

Chris Chelios was as small guy.  Hogs is like him a freak of nature and not one bit worried about him.   I do worry about QHs and Rathbone...not an easy position to be undersized.   That said league is changing, players getting smaller, made for speed and skill.   JB an early adopter on this front.   All three have a compete level required to succeed in this league. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Ok so as the season winds down the Canucks final position is getting clearer.

We have 45 points with 5 games remaining:

Win 0 finish 4th last

Win 1 finish 4th last

Win 2 finish 7th last

Win 3 finish 8th or 9th last

Win 4 finish 10th last

Win 5 finish 12th last

Those are the only possibilities. Also note Seattle gets gifted 3rd so we will be seeded one worse than all of the above. Then the lottery will determine final draft positions.

Whew that was a lot of work. How about a little something for the effort? (Caddyshack reference lol).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Win 0 finish 4th last

Win 1 finish 4th last

Win 2 finish 7th last

Win 4 finish 10th last

Win 5 finish 12th last

Those are the only possibilities. Also note Seattle gets gifted 3rd so we will be seeded one worse than all of the above. Then the lottery will determine final draft positions.

Whew that was a lot of work. How about a little something for the effort? (Caddyshack reference lol).

Here's hoping for a bottom 4 spot. I am going to be so upset if Vancouver starts to win every game from this point on

8 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Here's hoping for a bottom 4 spot. I am going to be so upset if Vancouver starts to win every game from this point on

Green is going to try squeeze out as many wins as possible to either land an extension with the Canucks or showcase to other teams. The kids are going to be hungry to prove that they belong on the team next season.

6 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Win 0 finish 4th last

Win 1 finish 4th last

Win 2 finish 7th last

Win 4 finish 10th last

Win 5 finish 12th last

Pretty sure NJD have the tie breaker over us therefore 0 wins may put us 3rd last

This stupid management will engineer a five game win streak and then be all proud of it .

Look how well we ended the season.

PS, Green has been offered several deals but seems to be holding out for more cash.

Predicting the Canucks get between 4 and 6 points in the final 5 games. Hoping for zero but the Flames will likely tank better than the Canucks. Hoping for a perfect split with the Flames - 4 points each and a loss to the Oilers. Worst case we get 10 points as the players are playing for "pride". I am glad they want to win as that is the right attitude. But at this time of year when having the best possible pick position is critical it will be frustrating to watch the Canucks win away draft positions.

Thanks Fanfor42 for the work on where they place depending on points earned in the final 5 games. 

12 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Win 0 finish 3rd last

Win 1 finish 4th last

Win 2 finish 7th last

Win 4 finish 10th last

Win 5 finish 12th last

Those are the only possibilities assuming all games end in regulation. If we get any loser points we could finish higher. Also note Seattle gets gifted 3rd so we will be seeded one worse than all of the above. Then the lottery will determine final draft positions.

Clarified above.

We can still stay in the bottom 5... we just need to go 0-3 in regulation and we finish 4th worst and have the 5th best chance in the lottery once you factor in Seattle.

One more win drops us 3 spots in the draft lottery...  3 wins and we are outside the top 10 in the lottery.

Today's lottery simulator only took me 2 tries and we picked 2nd!