The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Edited] Bottom 5 Finish Now in Reach!

Rate this topic

Provost

4 hours ago, Provost said:

If they haven't up until now, it isn't likely they will.  The dude comes onto a thread I made (as always), starts talking verifiable nonsense and name calling... then when he gets replied to, he starts whining about it how people are engaging with his nonense.

He is just rage posting because it literally took only two days for most people to realize he was completely full of it and objectively wrong... The math is exactly what we were saying.  Normally it takes a little more time so it doesn't sting for him as much.

Now instead of posting any actual content, because the positions he was holding and insisting that everyone was stupid not to believe are entirely indefensible,... it is just more personal attacks and spam to try to hide that he again has nothing useful to say about the issues being discussed.

The guy is so ignorant about what is actually going on in the hockey world, he even acts like a pretentious prat with people talking about leading headlines.

(the league is literally looking at tweaking the NHL draft lottery rules to increase the very bottom team's chances of winning)

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2106945
https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2021/02/12/nhl-draft-lottery-will-always-leave-some-fans-teams-unhappy/

I don't think it's fair to say he's ignorant.  None of us are experts and we're all right and wrong sometimes.  The problem with that dude is he never admits he's wrong.  He's still busy defending Linden Vey and Gudbranson.  Always asks me to quote him and when I do he ignores me lol.  

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

I don't think it's fair to say he's ignorant.  None of us are experts and we're all right and wrong sometimes.  The problem with that dude is he never admits he's wrong.  He's still busy defending Linden Vey and Gudbranson.  Always asks me to quote him and when I do he ignores me lol.  

He makes some good points at times. But he’s kind of like J.D. Burke. Even when you agree with what he’s saying, you still kind of want to punch him in the face because of how he’s saying it.

But the funny thing is - and complete opposite of Burke - he’s a total homer...Apollo-level. He always takes the Canucks’ side, even if it means contradicting a previous stance. It’s sort of endearing, even when I don’t agree. Because behind all of this facade, we’re all just fans expressing our fandom.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Provost said:

Actually..I find it quite freeing to have accepted that we aren't going to make the playoffs (short of a miracle)... the opposite of anxiety inducing.  I don't have to worry about wins and loses anymore on a given night.  That was just an explanation for other folks to get similar mental relief.

Now it is back to the familiar pattern of learning about the top draft prospects and any player movement that might benefit us.  There has even been talk or skipping this year's draft completely and holding two drafts next year once the prospects are playing again... that would be pretty ideal for us as we would be getting a 19 year old with more information at our disposal.  I doubt it will happen as the league is going to want something for the news cycle this year, especially for Seattle to get their first ever pick... but who knows.

Agreed. I only worry about the Canucks being “in it” just enough to convince Benning to buy at the deadline. That would be foolish.

I hope we sell at the deadline, and use the assets to help dump Loui and stock the system a bit. Then hope EP, Miller, and Hughes get their mojo back next season.

Edited by D-Money
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

It is fine not knowing stuff... plenty of things I don’t know and am wrong about.

It is how he craps on people while being the one who is entirely ignorant.  I was referencing how every single sports outlet had carried the story of the NHL tweaking the draft rules... and he was being a jackass like I was just making it up.

Also... clearly Gudbranson is a legit top pairing D man!  You, everyone else on the forum, all the coaching staff on his teams, and the rest of the hockey world are wrong and just don’t understand hockey like he does!!!   :D

• Cheers 1

Here is Drance basically repeating word for word everything I posted here along with all the exact same logic why it matters... just a few days later than I did.

Drance, if you are reading, you are welcome for having your job made easier...

https://theathletic.com/2402689/2021/02/22/vancouver-canucks-trade-deadline-proactive/?source=dailyemail

Edited by Provost

25 minutes ago, Provost said:

Here is Drance basically repeating word for word everything I posted here along with all the exact same logic why it matters... just a few days later than I did.

Drance, if you are reading, you are welcome for having your job made easier...

https://theathletic.com/2402689/2021/02/22/vancouver-canucks-trade-deadline-proactive/?source=dailyemail

I think that some of the backlash you've been getting since this thread was made is it's obvious the season is derailed and we don't need the odds to realize that.  We are not St. louis, who for years has been a dominant, veteran team in the central, a coaching change won't matter one bit.    Many folks pointed out before the season started how miserable our record was last year against these teams  too.   Doubt anyone is surprised that this was a possible outcome.   A lot of fans on here expressed their frustrations at not being able to sign our guys from last year.   All three likely would have been mistakes - have said that before the playoffs were done.   Can't help repeating it too - so get that you enjoy being right.  

Thing is the odds of you being wrong are very slim too, if you posted this at the start of the season - then you'd be getting mad respect...after that terrible start i'm not even sure this is threadworthy other then it could be somewhat cathartic to some to whine some more.   Was thinking about adding a captain obvious meme but decided that would be cruel so won't. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I think that some of the backlash you've been getting since this thread was made is it's obvious the season is derailed and we don't need the odds to realize that.  

Except that from many of the posts responding to the opposite that isn't true.

It also shouldn't be a shock to everyone and cause to flame someone for posting the truth with evidence to back it up.  It isn't negative to start thinking about how we can set up the team to win in the future.  There are opportunities to be had which can make us a lot better as soon as next season, read through the thread and I outlined them.

A person can be a fan without being a complete blind homer.

I also did point out several times in the offseason and at the beginning of the season, that the entire difference between us being a playoff bubble team last year and being a bottom 5 was the wins above expected that Markstrom got us with his Vezina level goaltending.  Not that we should have kept him at that price and term, but that if you replaced him with just average goaltending (which is still pretty good), we are a lottery team unless we could pick up wins somewhere else in the lineup.

• Upvote 1

Unless they go on an absolute tear the next 3 weeks, the Canucks should be looking at being sellers. Pearson and Sutter should be moved for assets as our forward expiring UFAs. 

Podz will come in for Pearson next year and we can either sign/trade for a new 3rd line center or try to re-sign Sutter in the offseason (for way less pay). 

6 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Would it be fair to assume we could get a 2nd for Pearson and same for Sutter?

Pearson is a typical 20 goal scorer

Sutter is a decent shut down Centre

I think a 2nd for Pearson, 3rd for Sutter, 4-5th for Benn is kind of the upper range.

The magic would be unloading any of Baertschi, Roussel, Beagle, or Virtanen for anything.  

9 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Would it be fair to assume we could get a 2nd for Pearson and same for Sutter?

Pearson is a typical 20 goal scorer

Sutter is a decent shut down Centre

Hopefully we take the best offer we got and unload them. No time to play hardball. I can’t see a lot trading happening this year and more then likely it will be deals within the division. 

26 minutes ago, D-Money said:

http://moneypuck.com/predictions.htm

Canucks currently at 19% odds to make the playoffs - 5th worst in the league.

What makes it even worse is, we're in the one 7-team division. And Ottawa is terrible. So the odds would be worse if we were in any other division.

That is by far the most generous model.  If you look under the hood on that one it is pretty bad.  Their model ignore the first 20 games of the season (basically all of this season) and made their game winning prediction model based on games between about 2008-2014.  We don't have that team anymore.

All the other models, and the most accurate ones from the betting sites that actually make a living on it give us just over 4% chance.

• Sad 2

20 hours ago, Provost said:

If they haven't up until now, it isn't likely they will.  The dude comes onto a thread I made (as always), starts talking verifiable nonsense and name calling... then when he gets replied to, he starts whining about it how people are engaging with his nonense

The guy is so ignorant about what is actually going on in the hockey world, he even acts like a pretentious prat with people talking about leading headlines

You initiated - as usual - and the 'name calling' thing is fabricated nonsense you use as an justification to rant on - as you have again here.

Complete with name-calling, ironically.   If you can find a name I have called you anywhere in this thread - post it.

6 hours ago, Provost said:

Also... clearly Gudbranson is a legit top pairing D man!  You, everyone else on the forum, all the coaching staff on his teams, and the rest of the hockey world are wrong and just don’t understand hockey like he does!!!   :D

The usual strawman - that makes any discussion with you a waste of time. 

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, bbllpp said:

JB is in an interesting position this year, he has room up front to buy cheap ED exposable players from stacked teams.  Unfortunately he has to shed cap to do so.  Pearson probably being the easiest as a rental, Beagle and Roussel both have an extra year so we’d need to retain cap which may or may not be better than a summer buyout as the return for those guys is likely not going to be great 

Anyone he can move in the bottom six he should at this point except maybe Sutter since we don’t seem to have an heir apparent to the 3C in the system.  Gaudette is not panning out any better than Granlund did.

The Canucks are married to LE for another year no matter what.

Regardless of where we are in the standings JB needs to be selling what he can at the TD this year.

Unfortunately COVID will likely hamper many of the moves that would normally be there. 

There's not that much that is relatively 'at stake'.  

Rent Pearson.  Or trade him now - I doubt the return varies significantly. Rent Benn if possible.

Possibly Sutter (allegedly untradeable - but I'd see what he wants/intends to do this offseason - might re-up him if he wants to stay at reasonable terms.  

If they can dump a Roussel, fine.

There is no big crossroads / no particularly difficult decisions to be made - and the likelihood of dealing these players likely raises as the deadline approaches - when teams have a better idea of their needs heading into the stretch.  There's no winfall to be gained, particularly in the present circumstances where you're quite limited in realistic trade partners, very few deals are being made, virtually no waiver claims - following an offseason where there was far less movement that people expected.

19 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Ironically, you're more busy digging up Linden Veys that I am 'defending' him  - I can't remember the last time I (or anyone)  referred to Vey, the whole WD era is so long ago.  But - you're right Rugby - about Vey - whatever the subject matter was/is.

I was wrong about the Leafs.  They did prove to be the next Blackhawks.  Multiple Cups confirm that the #proper-rething was a wild success.   I do think they made some good moves - particularly in bringing in Malhotra - and appear to be trying to take a page from Mike Sullivan's playbook which would fit that group well imo (but I still think they're lacking some of the kind of depth that helps you win in the playoffs.

Gudbranson was traded for a 5th this summer - when moving contracts was extremely difficult (ie Coburn and Paquette cost Tampa a 2nd to move...).  So being dealt for positive value in that market - with a $4 million cap hit - would suggest he's (once again) not perceived by real world NHL value setter/GMs as the worst defenseman in the league - far from it (slightly positive trade value even at 4 million...= real world valuation).  If you want me to admit I'm wrong - quote something specific - a claim in context - not the kind of paraphrase you always resort to (which, no, I don't tend to bother responding to - ie as Provost has above....with the 'top pairing D' strawman = waste of time/dishonest). 

Edited by oldnews

15 hours ago, D-Money said:

He makes some good points at times. But he’s kind of like J.D. Burke. Even when you agree with what he’s saying, you still kind of want to punch him in the face because of how he’s saying it.

But the funny thing is - and complete opposite of Burke - he’s a total homer...Apollo-level. He always takes the Canucks’ side, even if it means contradicting a previous stance. It’s sort of endearing, even when I don’t agree. Because behind all of this facade, we’re all just fans expressing our fandom.

Nah, that guy is untouchable wen it comes to homer department!

On 2/18/2021 at 12:53 PM, oldnews said:

Meh.  People pull this stuff out every season - and it's overcooked.

There are always teams that buck this stuff - every single season.

It's premature - as always.

Teams need to go on a run, period.   They need to sustain .500+ hockey, and go on a stretch where they win a half dozen straight, or 8 or 10 or w.h.y.

It happens repeatedly  - and render the 'models' relatively moot.

These kinds of overcooked defeatism/pseudo-'realism' are pointless for the most part imo.

the team has the talent imo to climb back into it - and as importantly they have the work ethic, the 'foundation' to their game - and would seem to have the character/fight necessary as well - particularly once they've been able to 'catch their breath'.

So forget the nonsense crystal balls and focus on the next game, one at a time, and the possibility remains.

On 2/18/2021 at 1:48 PM, oldnews said:

Image result for shit goggles

On 2/19/2021 at 10:29 AM, oldnews said:

Image result for laughing uncontrollably gif

(patented noob-speak).

On 2/19/2021 at 10:48 AM, oldnews said:

Highlight reel fanboys never understand the value of players like this and probably never will - because they willfully blind themselves to defend their egos, weak takes, and are too busy fanning the 'stars' and obsessing over ignorantly received whipping boys to recognize the role players, the team game.

Provost is never able to respond to the actual outcomes, 

On 2/19/2021 at 11:07 AM, oldnews said:

such noob speak.

On 2/20/2021 at 5:20 PM, oldnews said:

No - if you wasted the time to read this train wreck of a thread

45 minutes ago, oldnews said:

You initiated - as usual - and the 'name calling' thing is fabricated nonsense you use as an justification to rant on - as you have again here.

Complete with name-calling, ironically.   If you can find a name I have called you anywhere in this thread - post it.

Hmmm.... it is almost as if folks have the ability to look at posts and quote them.  It didn't take long for you to start trolling the thread I started (anyone can go to the first page and see) and start name calling and posting stuff that is verifiably wrong while going on unrelated tirades making stuff up that I said for your own straw man arguments.

Crazy...

Here I am the highlight reel fanboy, noob, poop emoji on a train wreck of the thread responding to the actual outcomes....

It is funny, because if I am as terrible as all your name calling suggests... and I keep turning out to be right and you wrong every single time... how bad does that make you at hockey knowledge?  Yikes

Edited by Provost
  • Sad 2