The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Edited] Bottom 5 Finish Now in Reach!

Rate this topic

Provost

4 minutes ago, Provost said:
6 hours ago, Provost said:

a jackass

the 'best'/worst thing you can come up with in terms of "name calling" is the word "noob"

seriously - tiny violins material - particularly considering how triggered you get - going on those projection rants of yours - where you pull out all the "prat", "jackass" etc or the weak 'you're probably in your basement' kind of material (oh, the burn, btw - how original).

Edited by oldnews
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

Hmmm.... it is almost as if folks have the ability to look at posts and quote them.

Crazy...

Here I am the highlight reel fanboy, noob, poop emoji on a train wreck of the thread responding to the actual outcomes....

It is funny, because if I am as terrible as all your name calling suggests... and I keep turning out to be right and you wrong every single time... how bad does that make you at hockey knowledge?  Yikes

As much as I'd like to just sit here and eat popcorn:

Nothing you just quoted is Old News calling you names.

He does appear to say you are guilty of "noob speak" but that is not the same as calling you a noob.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

As much as I'd like to just sit here and eat popcorn:

Nothing you just quoted is Old News calling you names.

He does appear to say you are guilty of "noob speak" but that is not the same as calling you a noob.

highlight reel fanboy, noob, poop emoji

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Oldnews being a bully again. :picard:

Mods, it’s time to suspend this guy.

I took the time to respond to your claim that I was 'acting like a troll' - because you had the sense to differntiate between calling someone a troll (which I would have ignored) and identifying what you thought was troll-like behaviour - which I consider a fair perspective - although certainly runs all kinds of ways in here.

But if you think that is "bullying" - that's an absurd take - and if you think it's ban-worthy - report it to the mods as opposed to the mini-modding thing you are once again doing here.

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

Highlight reel fanboy was in a different paragraph than him saying

"Provost is never able to respond"

Why you would self identify as a highlight reel fanboy is more on you. He never said you were those things.

Edit.

Poop emoji was regarding the post, not him calling you crap.

Edited by gurn
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

I took the time to respond to your claim that I was 'acting like a troll' - because you had the sense to differntiate between calling someone a troll (which I would have ignored) and identifying what you thought was troll-like behaviour - which I consider a fair perspective - although certainly runs all kinds of ways in here.

But if you think that is "bullying" - that's an absurd take - and if you think it's ban-worthy - report it to the mods as opposed to the mini-modding thing you are once again doing here.

Have you bothered to mention that everything you posted to try to derail this thread has been shown to be completely wrong and without a shred of connection to reality?

Of course not, that isn't your style... just like to crap on conversations without adding any substance.

Edited by Provost
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Highlight reel fanboy was in a different paragraph than him saying

"Provost is never able to respond"

Why you would self identify as a highlight reel fanboy is more on you. He never said you were those things.

That is complete BS and you know it.  He was responding to a post I made and using that name calling as the bulk of his counter "argument".

The never actually able to respond to outcomes is blatantly false and quite ironic as he literally ignores all the objective outcomes (like our odds of making the playoffs).

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

That is complete BS and you know it.  He was responding to a post I made and using that name calling as the bulk of his counter "argument".

The never actually able to respond to outcomes is blatantly false and quite ironic as he literally ignores all the objective outcomes (like our odds of making the playoffs).

No it is not.

All you have posted is Oldnews going after your posts and you taking it as him going after you.

Please don't tell me what I know.

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Provost said:

You don't get to play victim the way you do when your own behaviour meets or exceeds - every time - what you protest about. 

The reality is we both initiate this kind of stuff - and we both have the ability to refrain/put an end to it.

Look - we might annoy each other /have generally opposing dispositions towards this team  - but the energy we waste on this stuff is probably not worth it - so I'm going to offer you an olive branch and a few options.

1) we put each other on ignore and agree not to respond to each other any further.

2) we don't bother to put each other on ignore, but if we respond to each other, we do so only to point out something we agree on - or to give positive feedback to the odd posts on those rare occassions where we are in agreement.

3) we continue to be adversaries on here and waste our time on this reductive.  

If you choose either 1 or 2, let me know.

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

You don't get to play victim the way you do when your own behaviour meets or exceeds - every time - what you protest about. 

The reality is we both initiate this kind of stuff - and we both have the ability to refrain/put an end to it.

Look - we might annoy each other /have generally opposing dispositions towards this team  - but the energy we waste on this stuff is probably not worth it - so I'm going to offer you an olive branch and a few options.

1) we put each other on ignore and agree not to respond to each other any further.

2) we don't bother to put each other on ignore, but if we respond to each other, we do so only to point out something we agree on - or to give positive feedback to the odd posts on those rare occassions where we are in agreement.

Ok... put me on ignore and stop trolling my posts.  Great.  I generally ignore you until you start coming on being a troll on my posts.

I am perfectly content with the fact you are sitting there all angry and frustrated about being proven wrong (yet again)... and trying to spam my thread to hide it doesn’t change that.

Of course you won’t ignore me... you have repeatedly offered and can’t help but start talking smack about stuff you don’t understand.  Let’s see how long it lasts before you are reacting with your regular aggressive crap.

Edited by Provost
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Provost said:

Ok... put me on ignore and stop trolling my posts.  Great.

I am perfectly content with the fact you are sitting there all angry and frustrated about being proven wrong (yet again)... and trying to spam my thread to hide it doesn’t change that

take your time and try to respond once you're no longer triggered.

If you believe I'm 'angry' or 'frustrated' you're really misreading how seriously I take you / you're flattering yourself.

In any event  - it was an offer to reach an agreement - which you're obviously not ready to.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

take your time and try to respond once you're no longer triggered.

If you believe I'm 'angry' or 'frustrated' you're really misreading how seriously I take you / you're flattering yourself.

In any event  - it was an offer to reach an agreement - which you're obviously not ready to.

Well that lasted exactly one minute... that is a record for you?

Maybe a mod can tell you how the ignore button works if it is confusing?

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

Ok... put me on ignore and stop trolling my posts.  Great.  I generally ignore you until you start coming on being a troll on my posts.

I am perfectly content with the fact you are sitting there all angry and frustrated about being proven wrong (yet again)... and trying to spam my thread to hide it doesn’t change that.

Of course you won’t ignore me... you have repeatedly offered and can’t help but start talking smack about stuff you don’t understand.  Let’s see how long it lasts before you are reacting with your regular aggressive crap.

Oh, man.

I was going to post ' Why can't you just take his olive branch and move on", then decided not to.

By the time I refreshed the page you had added another paragraph.

Move on.

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yes - I have offered - and you've refused in the past, puffing your chest up - as you still are here.

You don't seem to understand the offer - which was to mutually ignore - or 2) to agree to only respond when it's positive / in agreement - but nevermind. 

The offer still stands - let me know if you change your mind.

Cheers.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 12:33 PM, Provost said:

It is nice to live in hope, but the unique way the league is set up this year means that we are practically unlikely, even if we are not mathematically eliminated from playoff contention.

Since it is only in division games, points will be awarded to the teams we are chasing on any given night.  The normal path to gain ground in a playoff chase from other seasons is that a team falters and loses points to non division rivals, meaning that we can catch them just by playing better than they do.  That simply doesn't exist this year.

Since we have already fallen behind, we don't have to catch one team to make the playoffs, we have to surpass two of the three teams above us (Toronto and Montreal are already out of reach).

The three teams we are realistically chasing play around 20 more games against each other... meaning we have no chance at all of gaining ground on them those games, even if we won 100% of our games on the same night (which we obviously won't).  At least two points will be awarded to one of the teams we are chasing, and sometimes 3 points.  We only have a chance of matching or losing ground in a big chunk of the remaining games to be played by our rivals against each other.

That is a big chunk of the season remaining and opportunities to catch up.  Once you correct for games in hand and winning percentages, we are currently:
- about 4.2 points behind Calgary
- about 6.75 points behind Winnipeg
- about 5.2 points behind Edmonton

Assuming around 63 points to make the playoffs that means we would have to play .640 hockey the rest of the way out (23-13 record).  The teams we are chasing only need to crack .550 the rest of the way out to stay ahead of us and reach that 63 points plateau.  Specifically, only two of them need to hit that mark for us to not make the playoffs even if we went on a huge hot streak.  Refer back to the above point where they play each other a lot and at least one team is going to get points and it will be harder for them all to drop to lower than .500 since they are sharing so many guaranteed points between them.

So, unlike most seasons... we have only a few paths to the playoffs now and they are much more limited and unlikely than in normal years.

1.  Toronto and Montreal basically run the table when they play at least 2 of Calgary, Winnipeg, and Edmonton.. but Toronto and Montreal don't dominate us in similar fashion so we can make up points in those games.
2.  Ottawa steals a bunch of points from two of those three teams we are chasing (but not so much that Ottawa passes us as well), but doesn't steal points from us in similar fashion.
3.  We win around 3/4ths of our remaining games against two of the three teams we are chasing

All of those are possible, but not terribly likely.  Our current odds of making the playoffs sit at 15-17% according to sites like Moneypuck.

Our next 6 games are against those teams we are chasing.  We probably have to go 5-1 over that stretch to have made up any ground at all on at least two of the teams we need to pass (gaining ground on one team doesn't do us any good since they would be giving up points to one of the other teams we are also chasing at the same time).  Going 3-3 even probably puts the practical seal on our playoff chances since there would be far fewer games left at that point to make up the ground still needed... 

ok so let's picture we don't make it, we don't have the D to make it through to the cup final anyway so all it would really do is get our team beat up like every other team who gets into the post season and the physical game ramps up so imo at the end of the day, we don't make it, get a good shot at a high draft pick and don't go through the wringer for nothing is fine with me, I'd love to see us in the post season IF we actually had a legit chance but we're still a few players away from it who are on their way, so it's laughable when peeps freak out over losing games and possibly not make it to the post season and act like the sky is falling but it's not.. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Both you guys should square this away and go with Oldnews’ second proposal. 

Let’s move on guys. There is a lot of hate bs and wasted effort here. Keep things as positive and constructive when in disagreement. 

:metal:

5 hours ago, Provost said:

Except that from many of the posts responding to the opposite that isn't true.

It also shouldn't be a shock to everyone and cause to flame someone for posting the truth with evidence to back it up.  It isn't negative to start thinking about how we can set up the team to win in the future.  There are opportunities to be had which can make us a lot better as soon as next season, read through the thread and I outlined them.

A person can be a fan without being a complete blind homer.

I also did point out several times in the offseason and at the beginning of the season, that the entire difference between us being a playoff bubble team last year and being a bottom 5 was the wins above expected that Markstrom got us with his Vezina level goaltending.  Not that we should have kept him at that price and term, but that if you replaced him with just average goaltending (which is still pretty good), we are a lottery team unless we could pick up wins somewhere else in the lineup.

That's again pointing out the obvious..as far as the team went last year few wouldn't pick Markstrom as the MVP.   The point is - i'm sure everyone on this site knows this season is over, had it been an 82 game schedule then for sure not yet.   We don't need it rubbed in our grill.  I like a lot of what you have to add to this forum, but this is one thread that you must have known you'd have a lot of push-back for making...regardless of spin.   Wont add to it - we all make mistakes.   90% odds you or anyone else brave enough to point out the obvious would be correct for making the exact same comments playoff's not part of the picture.  Low risk of being wrong.  High risk of taking sh!t for going there is all i was trying to say.   In my house i'm outnumbered big time so absolutely get wanting to be right about something too lol.  

I boldly made a thread at the start of the season suggesting the team should back up TG sign him ... that hasn't aged well lol.   We need some divine hockey god like intervention to make the playoffs, even with our last 7 games.  

Just to equal the playing field - I'm going with Apollo's recent prediction - IF we make the playoffs - we are going to win the cup this year.    Probably not for the same reasons as he's fanlove for this team is beyond reproach - but because the math says we'd have to be one damn hot team, and doubt anyone would want to meet up with us in any round.