The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Edited] Bottom 5 Finish Now in Reach!

Rate this topic

Provost

20 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think this season is quickly going to turn into a moral battle to beat the Flames...

Have to have something to look forward too.   Didn't like the Flames after 89, and the grudge is still there after vindicating ourselves in 94.    Always fought those guys, for six years in a row it was the closest thing we've ever had to a real rivalry given the Battle of Alberta faded.   Beating the them 11-1 or whatever it was is still priceless.    Both teams were tough as nails.   Embarrassing trying to compare the two teams now, but yes i hope we spoil their season.   And hope we become a better team and they also rise to the occasion so we can go hammer and tong again but it won't be about fighting anymore it will be about skill really.     Leagues changed, but i have a long memory.    The Flames are still our biggest rivalry and damn i hope that both these teams rise to to task over the next two years or so.   CHI vs VAN was ok too.   But not the same. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 3/29/2021 at 1:52 AM, wallstreetamigo said:

What do you think the max dollars/term should be to keep Sutter?

I don't know - the market is deflated and somewhat unpredictable.  I'd probably give him 5 million max over 2 years if he wants to return, ideally slightly less (closer to 2).  The thing is though - there will be other expiring 3Cs and deflated options (I've named about 4 options I'm interested in)  - so it might be worth waiting until you see what your other options are.  At the same time, the 2 or 3 good UFA options will be in demand regardless, so there's a risk of winding up with replacement level depth centers, never a particularly good option imo.

But the team will remain young, and likely to get even younger - so they're going to need to retain a few of these foundation types whether people like it or not - and best to do so with 'bottom six centers' and keep the blueline as balanced as possible.  If Edler and Sutter types move on - the team absolutely needs to replace them if they're hoping not to take a step back - they can't just roll with kids and the 'any plug will do' mentality of the asset-management types.

On 3/30/2021 at 1:20 AM, RU SERIOUS said:

For $5M don't you think we could possibly, conceivably, have the slightest chance of finding a defenseman with more speed, better offensive ability and the possibility of actually playing an entire 82 game season to replace "Special Ed" who is moving close to 40??????. 

yawn.  I think when someone uses a term like "special" - they're probably projecting.

Name your available alternatives if you're so sharp.

20 minutes ago, Provost said:

So with games likely postponed until Mid May... at least we might not be mathematically eliminated until later!

That depends on the Habs that, when rested, owned the Oilers and play their next two games vs the Sens. 

They might tire out later on but if they can get to a hot start following the break they had we are probably hooped. 

Just try to trade the UFAs we aren’t re-signing. Bringing in Boyd and Vesey should help make up for the lost bodies on top of the youngsters we have sitting(Like OJ) and the people who will eventually return from injury(Petey/Beagle/ etc).

On 3/31/2021 at 10:56 AM, oldnews said:

yawn.  I think when someone uses a term like "special" - they're probably projecting.

Name your available alternatives if you're so sharp.

Edler would be a fine return if he came back at around 2M. The poster is just frustrated with the team and desires changes. It’s obviously been a terrible season and yes, there are plenty of players that have played even worse than Edler this season. 

If he can’t return on the cheap then JB will figure it out. I’m not sure we would have much cap for a decent FA signing after Hughes/Petey contracts get done. 

5 hours ago, Provost said:

Well that seems doable!

If the Habs win a few more, it will just be easier for the Canucks to forfeit all their remaining games as they would be mathematically eliminated. Easier for Benning to sell at the trade deadline.

Just now, DefCon1 said:

If the Habs win a few more, it will just be easier for the Canucks to forfeit all their remaining games as they would be mathematically eliminated. Easier for Benning to sell at the trade deadline.

Honestly at this point it makes sense to have all our Ottawa and Calgary games switched to the end of the year.  Then they can just be cancelled if the teams are eliminated.

We have to keep playing teams still in the mix so they keep a fairly even schedule and no one is disadvantaged.

15 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Why does everyone think we’re chasing the Habs?

Its the Oilers we’re chasing. We have the same amount of games played now and play them 6 more times. That’s where you close the gap, especially if things are decided by points percentage.

• 2 weeks later...

As of today:

MTL  has 43 points and 18 games remaining.  They play 11 more games in April and 7 games in May ending their season on May 11.

VCR  has 35 points and 19 games remaining.  They play 9  more games in April and 10 games in May ending their season on May 16.

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Hoping we land pick 6-8 in this draft. Not expecting much these last 19 games. Honestly just cant wait for the season to end and we wash ourselves of this terrible season.

That would be nice.... going on a futile run now would only be detrimental.

Still have dreams of Luke Hughes but it seems like he might to higher than we end up picking.   In a couple years we could have three great puck moving D on the left side with Quinn and Rathbone, and team them up with some big physical guys like Tryamkin, Myers, and Woo on the right side.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Provost said:

Still have dreams of Luke Hughes but it seems like he might to higher than we end up picking.   In a couple years we could have three great puck moving D on the left side with Quinn and Rathbone, and team them up with some big physical guys like Tryamkin, Myers, and Woo on the right side.

Myers isn’t too physical but after a couple more seasons he’ll be an upcoming UFA. 

He’s still a pretty decent stop gap till then. Here’s hoping we can draft a solid RD prospect or two within the next couple drafts. 

My eyes are on Clarke if we are drafting top 8. 

51 minutes ago, Provost said:

I kinda like clarke more than hughes tbh but not by much. Wouldnt mind Eklund either around there if we pick around 7

12 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Flames beat the Leafs in OT. 

They are now 4 points ahead of us but we have 5 games in hand. 

Meh. Not really worried about the Flames.

If we’re a long shot to make the playoffs then they have no chance. 

If we can’t catch the Habs it doesn’t really matter what the Flames do.

• Upvote 1