The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is Höglander so good? And can he win some hardware?

Rate this topic

ImConfused

Nils' secret weapon  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My guess is if Hoglander can lead the league in rookie scoring, then maybe he has a shot at the Calder.  He's very close, just 1 point off the mark.

IMHO, something that has stood out by Hoglander's game is not only his effort but his tremendous awareness of space.  When Hoglander gains the zone, he often knows just where to put himself and the puck to maximize possession and control before either passing to a teammate or putting the puck into an area where it can be further contested.  He's a very smart player which combined with his high levels of effort and tremendous skill makes him a consistent threat.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I’m cool with another Calder nomination, keep the streak going.

Im thinking Lankinen sp? Is the front runner at this point. But a lot can change. With the chances Hogz has had he should have a few more points then he already does. Should be a close race 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, ImConfused said:

Can you name an NHL player better than Nils Höglander with an umlaut? I don't think you can.

Find the odd one out:

- Nicklas Lidström

- Matthias Öhlund

- Markus Näslund

- Nicklas Bäckström

- Däniel Sädin

Edited by joe-max
  • Haha 3

Early in his career, Theo Fleury was such a feisty lil'bast*rd you had to admire it. There's much more to his story, but(although I hated the Lames) in the 90's, I really admired this guy's skill & tenacity.

Starting to think NH can become such a player - & quickly too. He's so much fun to watch..my word, the drafting lately!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

My money is on Nils winning the Calder.

I don't see a legit threat outside of kaprizov, Suter and that goalie.

I argue Nils has the advantage vs kaprizov as he is younger.

Suter will depend on how well Chicago does.

The goalie is the only one that gives me concern, we all saw binnington vs petey race.

(Binnington sucks) but was a close race.

Screenshot_20210218-151715_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

The goalie is the only one that gives me concern, we all saw binnington vs petey race.

Calder is Kaprizov to lose. What is important is point per game and Nils is a bit behind on that. Can see a top 3 finish though. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Calder is Kaprizov to lose. What is important is point per game and Nils is a bit behind on that. Can see a top 3 finish though. 

What's the story on Ty Smith?  Just 'lucky' early with all those points (per game basis) as a defenseman (a significantly harder position to break into the league in that a winger).

30 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Ty Smith is probably going to win it if things keep up....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Ty Smith is probably going to win it if things keep up....

Honestly, this seems like a much wider open race than we've seen for a while. Not to mention that Ty Smith was ahead in points and is dropping at the moment. I think anyone could be guessed to win at this point and it would be possible.

One thing I do think Hoglander has going for him mind you is his work ethic. If it allows him to be consistant throughout the season he may be able to "feed" on the cold streaks of other players.