The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is Höglander so good? And can he win some hardware?

Rate this topic

ImConfused

Nils' secret weapon  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 2/18/2021 at 12:33 PM, ImConfused said:

Hello Canucks,

I wanted to go in-depth and discuss just what it is that makes Nils Höglander such a great young rookie player.

He's got skill AND drive, he's relentless. He's a lot like a Burrows/Hansen hybrid but with more offensive upside. Every shift he's on the ice he's out there making waves and causing headaches for the opponents.

Whether it's with adept positioning, smooth skating, a burst of speed, or a combination of all three, he seems to be able to get to those key areas on the ice with ease.

However, I have a theory about his secret weapon. The one thing that sets him apart from 99% of players in the league.

It's the UMLAUT.

I think that Höglander will go down as one of the strongest players in NHL history to feature an UMLAUT in his name. It really gives him that extra something, from "hawglander" to "hoaglander". This edge strikes fear in the opponents.

Can you name an NHL player better than Nils Höglander with an umlaut? I don't think you can.

Keep högging that puck, Nils! Great things await for you in the NHL with the Canucks.

Could we have another Calder contender on our hands?

Nils for Calder?

Same drive as Podz..  I don't think he's Calder but he's another JB steal, Podz on the other hand has all the skill, and drive to pull it off.

Hogs was a very good pick, can see him just getting better and better.

Edited by iceman64
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Provost said:

Right now the answer to why Hoglander seems so good seems to be the company he hangs out with.

He is like the skinniest kid at fat camp or the tallest dwarf.

The rest of the roster has been mostly inconsistent to downright bad.... so standing out in that crowd isn’t that hard.  Last year he wouldn’t look like such an anomaly with his consistent level of effort... we had that with half our roster.  That has gone off the rails this year for whatever reason or variety of reasons).

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Hogs has the same tenacity and work ethic as Hansen but with a much higher skill level.

If you remember Hansen as a younger player, you will recall that one of his nicknames was "Stone Hands", not the type of nickname Hogs is ever likely to get because his skill level is clearly far superior to Badger's.

Obviously it remains to be seen if Hogs will have as good/long a career as Hansen, but there is no question that Hogs is a better player.

h e has the potential and tools to be better player..to say he is after 20 games...don't agree

19 hours ago, Moe Knows said:

h e has the potential and tools to be better player..to say he is after 20 games...don't agree

From what i've seen already yes he's a better player.    Will he become a better player then Hansen long term?  Anyone's guess.   JV had a better season statistically then Hansen's best season last year and now look at him..

I played a lot of physical sports and sometimes a big guy would join the team and you'd be stoked, but then the first time he takes a hit he just doesn't come back to another practice because he's soft. And sometimes you get a really little guy whose engine just runs at a higher rate than anyone else on the team.  His effort level is insane, and he has all the intangibles like training and attitude.  That's Hoglander.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, CanadianRugby said:

I played a lot of physical sports and sometimes a big guy would join the team and you'd be stoked, but then the first time he takes a hit he just doesn't come back to another practice because he's soft. And sometimes you get a really little guy whose engine just runs at a higher rate than anyone else on the team.  His effort level is insane, and he has all the intangibles like training and attitude.  That's Hoglander.

Did a lot of physical jobs over the years. When i was young wanted to fight forest fires, and at the time was training for rap-attack, propelling down helicopters into hot zones... and landscaping during the day.   We got this huge bouncer weight lifter added to our landscape crew and thought - wow - great!   What a pansy.  Complained about sore feet, scratches, pretty much everything and didn't last two weeks doing what i'd call medium labour at best.    Met him again six months the later at the physical to do the forest fighting... all 6'6" of him muscles etc.   He failed it.   Couldn't do half the circuit.   LOL.   Big and strong looking, for sure doesn't mean anything from my life experience.    So yeah i get it.  

12 hours ago, IBatch said:

From what i've seen already yes he's a better player.    Will he become a better player then Hansen long term?  Anyone's guess.   JV had a better season statistically then Hansen's best season last year and now look at him..

Good point. Lets see at years end. It's a 56 games schedule. Hansen's first real year he played 55 games had 6 g 15 A  21 P and was +5. Let's see where Hoglander is at the end of the season. BTW I don't think Jakes 18G 18A  36P and -4 was better then Hansens 22G 16A   38P and +16. cheers

5 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Geez, every year y’all blow your load over some new talent and then Green gets a hold of them, stop the madness.

Geez, every post you write, you look a little more disgusting.

Yeah, it sure was unreasonable of us all to get excited over 3 consecutive Calder finalists, including one Allstar Game MVP, one Calder winner, and one Dman who at the ripe old age of 21, is currently leading the NHL in D scoring.

And even more so to get excited over this year's possible (record breaking 4th consecutive) Calder nominee.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Geez, every post you write, you look a little more disgusting.

Yeah, it sure was unreasonable of us all to get excited over 3 consecutive Calder finalists, including one Allstar Game MVP, one Calder winner, and one Dman who at the ripe old age of 21, is currently leading the NHL in D scoring.

And even more so to get excited over this year's possible (record breaking 4th consecutive) Calder nominee.

Not often have i watched the Canucks add rookies at this pace, and never have I seen anything like this as far as at or near the top in the rookie Calder race. 

IMO Hoglander  can win it if he's added to the first PP unit - OR if TG gives the second unit more time.    Really it doesn't matter much, the kids going to make it at least as a good energy middle six player.   He's not exactly working with top players and already he's the hardest working, and makes the most plays on that line.   Have to wonder how he'd do with EP at this point.  Skill feeds off skill.    Could see him working his way to the top line when Miller is traded, or gone. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

Great start to his career but I'm not sure about the Calder. Lets compare his #'s to Brock, EP and Quinn the Canuck Calder winner and finalists.

Brock 62gp 29g 26a 55pts 

EP 71gp 28g 38a 66pts 

Quinn 68gp 8g 45a 53pts 

Hogs 82gp(pace) 11g 22a 33pts

Lots of great rookies this year and some are older than Hoglander so if/when he doesn't get a ton of Calder votes CDC shouldn't explode. :) 

• Thanks 1