The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Adam Henrique

13 minutes ago, brian42 said:

Once Henrique clears waivers(which he will):

henrique (50% retained)

for 

Virtanen ? 

Henrique is a pretty solid faceoff guy and solid defensively, once Sutter leaves for cap space the Canucks would Probly prefer him to Gaudette as our 3rd line center.  In order to sign Hughes and Petey they Would have to let Baertschi, Sutter, Benn and 1 of Pearson or Edler all go and maybe Gaudette for picks or prospects but I think they could fit in Henrique at 50% retained basically taking jakes spot. 

although he would still cost about 350k more than JV. 

If it wasn't for such a long term and for a player his age... sure.

We can get out from under Jake's contract pretty quickly and there are a lot better/cheaper options than Henrique that will become available before expansion that teams can't protect that could fill our 3C role.

1 hour ago, brian42 said:

Once Henrique clears waivers(which he will):

henrique (50% retained)

for 

Virtanen ? 

Henrique is a pretty solid faceoff guy and solid defensively, once Sutter leaves for cap space the Canucks would Probly prefer him to Gaudette as our 3rd line center.  In order to sign Hughes and Petey they Would have to let Baertschi, Sutter, Benn and 1 of Pearson or Edler all go and maybe Gaudette for picks or prospects but I think they could fit in Henrique at 50% retained basically taking jakes spot. 

although he would still cost about 350k more than JV. 

35600946-1145-48B5-82ED-E5961F49A493.png

What’s in it for Anaheim? 

3 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

If I was Gillis in 2013 I would have traded the Shinkaruk pick to move up in the draft and take Pulock. ^_^

For trivia sake...ever wonder why we didn't have a 3rd round pick (and a chance to draft Henrique in 2008)?  Not saying we would've drafted him as our Ontario scouts were meh at best at the time....just that we didn't even have the pick.

Answer:  Randy Carlyle was under contract as head coach of our AHL affiliate Manitoba Moose.  The Ducks later signed him to be their NHL head coach.  As compensation, the Ducks gave us a 3rd round pick in 2006 and a 2nd round pick in 2007.  As part of that 'compensation agreement', we sent the Ducks our 3rd round pick in 2008.  As per usual, those guys we drafted with those picks were busts though that drafted 3rd rounder in 2006 was used as part of the package to get Ehrhoff.

Trade LE + Gaudette for Henrique?

4 years is a long time but COVID will be over and cap could be on the rise in two seasons. In the meantime, we save some cap for short term by trading LE's 6 mil away.

Edit: didn't realize his cap hit was 5.825M. 

I might still do this trade since we get a better roster player and Henrique could be a replacement for Sutter starting next season. 

Edited by khay

13 hours ago, HC20.0 said:

If this wasn’t a flat cap year, he’d get claimed immediately. Henrique’s having a down year, but he’s still one heck of a player. Kinda like Pearson when we nabbed him. 

If this wasn't a flat cap year, he won't be put on waivers despite his slow start/poor stats up to this point.

4 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

For trivia sake...ever wonder why we didn't have a 3rd round pick (and a chance to draft Henrique in 2008)?  Not saying we would've drafted him as our Ontario scouts were meh at best at the time....just that we didn't even have the pick.

Answer:  Randy Carlyle was under contract as head coach of our AHL affiliate Manitoba Moose.  The Ducks later signed him to be their NHL head coach.  As compensation, the Ducks gave us a 3rd round pick in 2006 and a 2nd round pick in 2007.  As part of that 'compensation agreement', we sent the Ducks our 3rd round pick in 2008.  As per usual, those guys we drafted with those picks were busts though that drafted 3rd rounder in 2006 was used as part of the package to get Ehrhoff.

These chain of events seems to indicate a team that is somehow cursed to mediocrity :(

Edited by ShawnAntoski

12 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

That 2nd round pick in 2007 was sent to the LA kings (with a 4th) for a rental of Brent Sopel.... the pick became Wayne Simmonds.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, coryberg said:

That 2nd round pick in 2007 was sent to the LA kings (with a 4th) for a rental of Brent Sopel.... the pick became Wayne Simmonds.

Yeah Nonis sure like rentals.

Other trivia...Gillis dealt Raphael Diaz (career journeyman) to the Rangers for a 5th round pick.  Benning used that 5th round pick to draft Gaudette.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Rabbit said:

Canucks will have much of cap off after this season.

Should we wait and see any big fishes available next season?

Depends on what we pay Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko next season. We might not have a lot of cap after that.

6 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Depends on what we pay Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko next season. We might not have a lot of cap after that.

IMO if we trade away our UFAs we should try to use those assets to try to move Eriksson.

We could also maybe make a deal with Seattle to take Myers. Not that he's bad but we could use that cap to find a better fit with Hughes or Schmidt.

We probably should be prepared to lose a bunch of picks if these scenarios but trading the UFAs might lighten the blow.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

IMO if we trade away our UFAs we should try to use those assets to try to move Eriksson.

We could also maybe make a deal with Seattle to take Myers. Not that he's bad but we could use that cap to find a better fit with Hughes or Schmidt.

We probably should be prepared to lose a bunch of picks if these scenarios but trading the UFAs might lighten the blow.

It's not a bad idea and maybe possible with Eriksson going on his last contract year. He could be getting to the point of his contract actually being tradable.

As for Myers, maybe, but I have my doubts that's going to happen just because of the kind of GM Benning is. I could be wrong, but Benning strikes me as being too "loyal" to his players for that to happen. It's not a bad quality to have, but at times it tends to shoot oneself in the foot. lol

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I don't think this is a particularly new idea, yet I feel this approach would cost too much for the Canucks.

1) Eriksson is likely going to be bought out next year. Why trade prospects/picks to 'get rid of him'?

2) Making a deal with Seattle to take Myers is going to cost the Canucks something. This puts the Canucks in a poor trading position.

You have to trade something to get something. Lots of people were outraged that Tyler Toffoli cost Tyler Madden and a pick at the time. More people were outraged that Toffoli didn't return. On the other hand, if we had signed Toffoli, there was no guarantee that he was necessarily going to keep producing like he did/was, even if we were fairly certain beforehand.

Look at Markstrom/Tanev. Despite paying so much for UFAs, did CAL really improve that much? No, the standings suggest otherwise. But in no way am I blaming Calgary's season on Markstrom/Tanev. All I'm saying is that we have to be careful about our trades and signings. I still think not signing Markstrom/Tanev (long term) were the correct decisions, especially with the expansion draft looming.

Toffoli could have easily been another 5 million dollar mistake. Just saying.

Edited by Dazzle

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

It's not a bad idea and maybe possible with Eriksson going on his last contract year. He could be getting to the point of his contract actually being tradable.

As for Myers, maybe, but I have my doubts that's going to happen just because of the kind of GM Benning is. I could be wrong, but Benning strikes me as being too "loyal" to his players for that to happen. It's not a bad quality to have, but at times it tends to shoot oneself in the foot. lol

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

I don't think this is a particularly new idea, yet I feel this approach would cost too much for the Canucks.

1) Eriksson is likely going to be bought out next year. Why trade prospects/picks to 'get rid of him'?

2) Making a deal with Seattle to take Myers is going to cost the Canucks something. This puts the Canucks in a poor trading position.

You have to trade something to get something. Lots of people were outraged that Tyler Toffoli cost Tyler Madden and a pick at the time. More people were outraged that Toffoli didn't return. On the other hand, if we had signed Toffoli, there was no guarantee that he was necessarily going to keep producing like he did/was, even if we were fairly certain beforehand.

Look at Markstrom/Tanev. Despite paying so much for UFAs, did CAL really improve that much? No, the standings suggest otherwise. But in no way am I blaming Calgary's season on Markstrom/Tanev. All I'm saying is that we have to be careful about our trades and signings. I still think not signing Markstrom/Tanev (long term) were the correct decisions, especially with the expansion draft looming.

Toffoli could have easily been another 5 million dollar mistake. Just saying.

My idea is that we would use the cap we'd gain to acquire pieces we need to be competitive next year(ie 3rd C, D partner for Hughes). I do realize that it would prove costly to do this though, especially both moving LE and Myers. Would gut our next couple drafts.

We could hold assets and wait LE out or buy him out but we would likely look the same next year plus a bit more youth and without minus some veterans. It all depends on whether or not you're okay with possibly another off-year as putting your faith in the youth is an unpredictable thing. Also depends how the contracts go with Petey/Hughes.

There are other ways to move cap too. Could try moving a Roussel. Perhaps we could decide to move on from Jake. Not as substantial as moving a Myers/Eriksson but it still helps and wouldn't prove as costly.

Just throwing out options though. I am pretty open-minded and I could personally be okay either way.

• Cheers 1