The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | February 21, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP NHLN

Rate this topic

-SN-

Replying to @debluvscanuckssince PGT is now locked.

While I agree there were some blatant missed calls last night (the trip on Miller, I think it was,  prior to the reviewed non-goal being another) I don't believe there is a bias against the Canucks or that teams like Boston and VGK are allowed to get away with stuff that we would not, as you suggest. I think that's your own homer bias at play. The only way to have completely objective officiating would be to have sensors all over every peice of equipment and let AI make the calls. That would probably mean the majority of every game would be played 5 on 4, 4 on 4, or 4 on 3 but it would make it fair and impartial.  As long as there are humans at the helm the officiating will never be perfect, at any level. The refs can only call what they see and what they see is their own interpretation of what happened. You know, like sometimes it looks like a trip at full speed but in slow motion you see a player just lost an edge and fell down, that sort of thing.  AI could make that differentiation but humans will get it wrong 9 times out of 10. 

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

You can believe that the refs are doing their best, I don't.  And quit with the "homer bias" crap....it isn't necessary and I don't take comments seriously when that's the "theme".  It's not the ace in the hole.  

If you agree there were some "blatant missed calls" then at least you're partway there.  How do you NOT call 3 crosschecks right in front of the refs?...the last sending a guy flat out on the ice?  Explain how that's a "non call" and not something that is a pick and choose deal.  Do you think Tyler Myers would have got a blind eye to that?  I don't.  So explain how you feel their "interpretation" was acceptable there?  And why it happened that way? Also...AFTER that crosscheck fest that the refs deemed ok, how is that when Frankenbort went after Hogs again on the other side of the ice, they didn't end up shorthanded?

There are team homers, there are ref homers...I like the side I'm on.  

Anyhow...moving on.  New game to focus on.

Hmm,  sorry I don't see how referring to homer bias is derogatory or a "troll" at all. I have homer bias, Shorthouse and Garrett have homer bias. Pretty much every fan of every team has homer bias. Its pro sports. People want their team to win.  Its human nature. It probably stems from our tribal origins.  My main point was that for every missed call against the Canucks there will probably be a missed call for them somewhere else down the road. You don't see it that way and that's cool, agree to disagree. I just get tired of the reffing conspiracy 'crap' and blaming the refs every time we lose. 

• Hydration 1

if im green im gonna sit roussel and gaudette

change up lines get every one a fresh start

virtanen  petey  hoglander 

miller  horvat  boeser

pearson  beagle  macewen 

sutter    hawryluk  eriksson 

edler schmidt

hughes benn

juolevi myers 

rafferty

• Sad 2

40 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Replying to @debluvscanuckssince PGT is now locked.

While I agree there were some blatant missed calls last night (the trip on Miller, I think it was,  prior to the reviewed non-goal being another) I don't believe there is a bias against the Canucks or that teams like Boston and VGK are allowed to get away with stuff that we would not, as you suggest. I think that's your own homer bias at play. The only way to have completely objective officiating would be to have sensors all over every peice of equipment and let AI make the calls. That would probably mean the majority of every game would be played 5 on 4, 4 on 4, or 4 on 3 but it would make it fair and impartial.  As long as there are humans at the helm the officiating will never be perfect, at any level. The refs can only call what they see and what they see is their own interpretation of what happened. You know, like sometimes it looks like a trip at full speed but in slow motion you see a player just lost an edge and fell down, that sort of thing.  AI could make that differentiation but humans will get it wrong 9 times out of 10. 

I think the reffing the last 2 games has been the best I've seen all season.

Didn't really like the Ericksson call, or the calls at the end, but otherwise I will take a "let em play" game over a "ticky tack game"

sure there were calls missed, but it was even and made for a better game 

I guess I am just old school that way.

19 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

I just get tired of the reffing conspiracy 'crap' and blaming the refs every time we lose. 

I know I said I wouldn't but....I don't like this interpretation of what I'm feeling/thinking.

I'm not blaming the refs "for the loss" so don't put words in my mouth please/thanks.   Not at all...we lost because we didn't score and that had nothing to do with calls/lack of them.  So you're misrepresenting me on this.

I'm blaming the refs for piss poor officiating which I feel is the case.  Stuff that leaves "residue" and carries over.  It's a dangerous precedent and calls should be made to help eliminate that, not let it fester and grow.   Not sure if you feel they adequately "managed" the game in relation to Forbort's anger issues but I don't.  Three crosschecks is at least two too many in my view.   

I'm tired of occasional and selective blind eyes to infractions...so I guess we're all tired. 

Cheers, really am moving on now.  I've said all I need to say on this and am looking forward, not backward at this point.

• Hydration 2

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I know I said I wouldn't but....I don't like this interpretation of what I'm doing.

I'm not blaming the refs "for the loss" so don't put words in my mouth please/thanks.   Not at all...we lost because we didn't score and that had nothing to do with calls/lack of them.  So you're misrepresenting me on this.

I'm blaming the refs for piss poor officiating which I feel is the case.  Stuff that leaves "residue" and carries over.  It's a dangerous precedent and calls should be made to help eliminate that, not let it fester and grow.   Not sure if you feel they adequately "managed" the game in relation to Forbort's anger management issues but I don't.  Three crosschecks is at least two too many in my view.   

I'm tired of occasional and selective blind eyes to infractions...so I guess we're all tired. 

Cheers, really am moving on now.  I've said all I need to say on this and am looking forward, not backward at this point.

do you think it is "selective" or is it the different reffs?

We should have the same crew tomorrow night, so I hope we have the same style of reffing.

Some refs call everytthing and some don't.

I would have a bigger problem with the same refs reffing the game different next game.

We'll see

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | February 21, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP NHLN