The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | February 21, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP NHLN

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 minute ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Need more MacEwens than Roussels 

And perhaps a lot more than just that. Clearing dead weights on the roster is one, but clearing the mental fragility and lack of competitive fire among the core players is even a bigger task.

19 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I'm pretty sure you aren't serious, IF you are... Its only been jake. And hes went from top pick to bottom 6 just there kind of guy under green. The rest he has not had to develop lol

Ask the last 9 Oiler coaches if developing elite talent means something.   Everyone thinks Hughes, EP, Boeser, Hogs just jumped in and became pros with little guidance. A coach that can develop these young guys is far more beneficial then learning from some washed up overpaid 4th liner. When I look back at my hockey playing days, I remember coaches and how they helped me correct things I was doing wrong. I don’t remember lessons from other players that I was in direct competition with for ice time. Don’t underestimate what TG has done with the young core. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

&^@# it. Put him on the top line & hope he can get a few points.

Go the Hodgson route; Inflate his value as much as possible, then sayonara. 

Not the Canuck way.

You need to destroy the asset, then publicly complain about said asset. Then wonder why you can’t find a suitor for said “asset”.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

He’s also statistically been the worst defenseman from an actual playing defense standpoint in the last 55 or so games according to Dayal.

His GA/60 at ES is Gudbranson tier.

except guddy cant provide offense to anyone  hes leading league dman by 5 points 

1 minute ago, Convincing John said:

Ask the last 9 Oiler coaches if developing elite talent means something.   Everyone thinks Hughes, EP, Boeser, Hogs just jumped in and became pros with little guidance. A coach that can develop these young guys is far more beneficial then learning from some washed up overpaid 4th liner. When I look back at my hockey playing days, I remember coaches and how they helped me correct things I was doing wrong. I don’t remember lessons from other players that I was in direct competition with for ice time. Don’t underestimate what TG has done with the young core. 

Mac Gaud and Virt have combined for 4 point this year. That should definitely not be underestimated.

32 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

I get that to a degree. I refuse to put much stock in this weird season. Lots of young talent coming on to be encouraged about. 

Exactly, as much as we want to see this team dominate the league, our core isn’t even close to their prime. We are still watching the trailer to the movie. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

For me its his tendency to shorten the bench ..

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, LeafsFanDan said:

Guys you can't expect a 4 mill goalie to "steal games" Holtby is a technical goalie who excels under a defensive system. Technical goalies truly shine under specific systems.

A "hero" goalie is the type that can play lights out but then falters another game. I rather have a 3 or 4 goals against goalie and not a shut out goalie one game and 7 goals against.

Also hero goalies cost a lot more than 4 million Canucks are paying Holtby you get what you pay for.

Not sure I agree with this. We haven’t asked Holtby to steal games. Early in the season it was on the players but lately it’s his technique that’s letting him down on reasonably basic chances.  3 of the goals today were stoppable. 2 one on ones from the outside and, an admittedly screened, goal where his butterfly was all over the place and the puck went through the gap. 

hoping it’s an issue of him trying to adjust under Clark and just taking a while to bed in. From memory Markstrom saw a similar patch where he was terrible with the basics but once he bedded into Clark’s style he was lights out. 

Just now, ilduce39 said:

It feels like this year is just snowballing on us.

We came in with high expectations after the play in.. lost some key players in the offseason, had a tough schedule, got pumped by some former teammates and we haven’t fully recovered.  

The playoffs being a long shot now has everyone extra tense and coaches seem extra quick the ride the top guys into the ground.  

I usually cringe at the armchair coaching analysis but I can’t help but think we’d likely be a lot more successful to forget the standings and adopt a one-game-at-a-time approach from the top down (if it’s even possible.). 

i get the sense that the team is closer than what we are seeing right now.   When I mean closer, I mean closer in terms of being a really good team for a while.  Bring in Podz, draft another top tier d man with their first pick, get  OJ, Hughes, EP, BB, Hogs, Demko more experience this year, and give a guy like big Mac third line minutes. Even though we look like we have stepped back to 2015 I think this team is on the cusp whereas those bad teams were years away.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1