The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | February 21, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP NHLN

Rate this topic

-SN-

34 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

yep no disagreement there.

But his bad defense is outweighing his offense. For QH to truly be an elite player and not just another glorified keith yandle or barrie, he has to be able to handle second pairing minutes at ES. 

He did in today’s game.

I think he will improve.  He’s been thrown into the fire here.  Second year handed big minutes and playing with a guy that would be bottom pair on most teams.  This is why I would have kept Tanev around.  Tanev is the type of guy that could really help bring the kid along. 

Edited by Darius
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Not here to defend Green but Guad and JV put up pretty good numbers last year. Also grew Boesers all around game. Not to mention the immediate success of Hughes and Petey. Seen a lot of other high draft picks struggle out of the gate around the league year in and year out. Not to mention giving Hogz the keys to a technically defence first line. One thing Green has done very well is help develop young players. Cry and whine about Mac’s ice time (I’d personally like to see more) but it’s evident he’s not a complete moron people make him out to be. Just can’t stand the constant picking at everything there possibly is to pick at. It’s probably time for a new coach but I suspect Green will be back somewhere within the league 

Green has become my personal scapegoat, but you’re perspective is more in line with reality.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Darius said:

I think he will improve.  He’s been thrown into the fire here.  Second year handed big minutes and playing with a guy that would be bottom pair on most teams.  This is why I would have kept Tanev around.  It’s the type of guy that could really help bring the kid along. 

O.K. Why didn't Harmonic play? He is healthy and with this tight schedule it might have been helpful to bring in a fresh body with Harmonic. Hughes frame will remain and he will be outmuscled by most of the forwards in this league. You have to take the good (powerplay, breakout, skating, passing) with the bad (small frame and therefore easily to beat in the 1 on 1).

25 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Not here to defend Green but Guad and JV put up pretty good numbers last year. Also grew Boesers all around game. Not to mention the immediate success of Hughes and Petey. Seen a lot of other high draft picks struggle out of the gate around the league year in and year out. Not to mention giving Hogz the keys to a technically defence first line. One thing Green has done very well is help develop young players. Cry and whine about Mac’s ice time (I’d personally like to see more) but it’s evident he’s not a complete moron people make him out to be. Just can’t stand the constant picking at everything there possibly is to pick at. It’s probably time for a new coach but I suspect Green will be back somewhere within the league 

Let's assume Gaud and Jake have been healthy scratches this game. What are the alternatives? Loui Eriksson, Michaelis from the Taxi Squad?. It hurts when a player like Motte is out with an injury. Other players can't contribute like Ferland and Baertschi.

3 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

O.K. Why didn't Harmonic play? He is healthy and with this tight schedule it might have been helpful to bring in a fresh body with Harmonic. Hughes frame will remain and he will be outmuscled by most of the forwards in this league. You have to take the good (powerplay, breakout, skating, passing) with the bad (small frame and therefore easily to beat in the 1 on 1).

You don't have to be big to be good defensively. Hughes needs better positioning, anticipation, and a better stick to defend well.

22 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

What’s going on in here reminds me of the anger I’m reading on the Calgary boards every day.  They want the coach fired.  As an outsider I’m thinking that the flames roster is more to blame than the coach for Calgary’s below average season.  How many guys have coached that team with the end result being mediocrity. 

i see same issue here.  Sure green can improve certain things but our d has holes, goaltending is average at best, and the bottom two lines struggle to make the scoresheet.  Not to mention petey looks off and Miller is like a time bomb some nights. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Don't be blinded by the near 6 mil cap hit. He's been underperforming heavily and it has cost this team games. He's not the only one, but to me, he's sticking out the most. This is my opinion. You have yours, but you won't change mine. He's failed my eye test every single game except maybe one or two. I was extactic when we picked him up. Now I'd rather play Juolevi his minutes and matchups. To each their own. 

I've always said that Baumer's defensive systems are questionable. Schmidt was top pairing for LV. He comes over to Vancouver and he suffers. Why? Deployment.

• Cheers 4

5 minutes ago, Darius said:

I think he will improve.  He’s been thrown into the fire here.  Second year handed big minutes and playing with a guy that would be bottom pair on most teams.  This is why I would have kept Tanev around.  It’s the type of guy that could really help bring the kid along. 

It takes a special player to put up those kinda points next to Benn. Imagine if he had a semi competent RHD with a cannon. A defensively responsible guy who can throw it up ice and lay the body. He’d win the Art Ross. Imagine a Hughes, Ekblad pairing. An Ekblad light is what we need. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Convincing John said:

It takes a special player to put up those kinda points next to Benn. Imagine if he had a semi competent RHD with a cannon. A defensively responsible guy who can throw it up ice and lay the body. He’d win the Art Ross. Imagine a Hughes, Ekblad pairing. An Ekblad light is what we need. 

I have a feeling we are gonna draft a top tier d man this year.  Imho it will be the last major piece of the puzzle.  All the other holes can be addressed through FA or trade. 

• Like 1

Well, here is my 2 cents worth

- Virtanen did not loose us the game.............he was not on for a goal, either way

- Gaudette did not loose us the game

- McEwen did not loose us  the game

- Beagle did not loose us the game

- Roussel did not loose us the game

- Sutter did not loose us the game

- Pearson did not loose us the game

- Hoglander did not loose us the game

- Horvat did not loose us the game

- Benn did not loose us the game

- Hughes did not loose us the game

- Juolevi did not loose us the game

- Myers did not loose us the game

That leaves Boeser, Pettersson, Miller, Edler, Schmidt and Holtby, who collectively got beat by their checks

That is up to Green to figure out............he is the coach, it is his job to figure it out

IMO, this year our goaltending, if average, would have given us 2 more wins, which makes us  .500 winning percentage (10 - 10 -2 )

If we get Markstrom type saves, we take 3 more wins............. .550 winning percentage (11 -9 - 2 )

That is our Achilles heel this year......... that and coaching decisions

What scares me the most is who the Canucks are using as our PK personel.....................Beagle, Roussel, Sutter and Miller

No young guys apprenticing................so in 2 years, who do we have to kill penalties?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

ya coach is mindblowingly bad  gaudette jake macewen juolevi  deserve much better  but lets play sutter and roussel because they are foundational  record in  last 12 suggests green has zero clue about running a nhl team 

Sutter was a beast tonight. Roussel also had a good game. your record is skipping.

Whoever was covering Dubois on the 1st goal, and Schmidt happening on the second arguably cost the game.  I don't think Holtby should be blamed as some are doing on the OT winner, he was probably playing that he might cross to his backhand (despite Boeser trying to cut Dubois off) and hardly his fault that PLD instead jammed it short side.

Good games for Juolevi, Hoglander, Pettersson (2 goals and hope his mojo is coming back), Sutter, MacEwen (good fight, sparked some offense for his line), Boeser (besides the OT winner IMO) and Holtby (in some parts, he made some big saves to keep the team in it while down 3-2).

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, here is my 2 cents worth

- Virtanen did not loose us the game.............he was not on for a goal, either way

- Gaudette did not loose us the game

- McEwen did not loose us  the game

- Beagle did not loose us the game

- Roussel did not loose us the game

- Sutter did not loose us the game

- Pearson did not loose us the game

- Hoglander did not loose us the game

- Horvat did not loose us the game

- Benn did not loose us the game

- Hughes did not loose us the game

- Juolevi did not loose us the game

- Myers did not loose us the game

That leaves Boeser, Pettersson, Miller, Edler, Schmidt and Holtby, who collectively got beat by their checks

That is up to Green to figure out............he is the coach, it is his job to figure it out

IMO, this year our goaltending, if average, would have given us 2 more wins, which makes us  .500 winning percentage (10 - 10 -2 )

If we get Markstrom type saves, we take 3 more wins............. .550 winning percentage (11 -9 - 2 )

That is our Achilles heel this year......... that and coaching decisions

What scares me the most is who the Canucks are using as our PK personel.....................Beagle, Roussel, Sutter and Miller

No young guys apprenticing................so in 2 years, who do we have to kill penalties?

Hoglander, Motte, Podkolzin, Juolevi, .......G Breezy? Sure help will be needed. But guys like brad richardson and grabner won't cost you the moon. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Darius said:

I have a feeling we are gonna draft a top tier d man this year.  Imho it will be the last major piece of the puzzle.  All the other holes can be addressed through FA or trade. 

9 minutes ago, Darius said:

Brandt Clarke is a RHD ranked at #3. With this weird season it’s hard to keep track of who is who in these rankings. Because of how poor the scouting is going to be this year, I bet a lot of great players will slip into the later rounds. We should seriously pick a RHD with every pick we have until we find Hughes a partner lol. I agree, it’s the last Core piece. 

• Cheers 1