The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | February 21, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP NHLN

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, TheFly said:

Jake plays when Green gives up on all other options. Then we win. Then Jake sits again.

Not quite.  I think LE is his last option.  In any event Lazy Jake did absolutely nothing again tonight.   I can't even remember him being on the ice once - to be honest. 

He must be invisible.

7 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Great points.  I am aware that the talent is not comparable but in the beginning most of there talent was considered cast offs and they were still rolling (or emphasizing) to roll four lines (based on my observatiions) and (imo) it seemed that all the players  in the team were very engaged & not prone to committing gaffes attributted to overplaying or not being engage as much due to the shortening of the bench this staff has a tendency of doing.

I never mentioned talent at all cause my only point is that if a staff makes it a priority to roll four lines then all the dressed players will be more engaged, builts a better team enviroment and perhaps JB can adjust the way he builds the roster (instead of it being too top heavy) - imo...

I agree that Mac should be playing more and I theorize that the reason his minutes are being limited is perhaps due to the Expansion Draft (?); also agree, that Green is coaching to win for a long term gig here or else where...

Fair enough, who wouldn’t like to see even distribution? It’s hard to watch a game on TV and know exactly what TG is seeing and why he is doing it. IMO The biggest issue with our team is we don’t have an identity or brand. Successful teams have that. The VGK are heavy, yet fast and pretty assertive. The players they have fit that style. The Wings and Hawks were puck possession teams and they drafted and acquired players that fit that mold. The Devils of the 90’s were a smothering trap team and they also built to that style. Our style is almost based on what line is on the ice. That’s not really Travis Greens problem thats Jim Benning’s. Like What the hell is Canucks hockey anyway? Lol. Quinn Hughes is the only D man we have that can carry the puck. The rest break out from passing. Pretty hard to get out of the neutral zone when you only have one option. Then you throw Beagle, JV, Mac, DR, Sutter out there and expect to have O zone possession time? Then you have Mario Gaudette who spends half the game chasing his own turnovers lol. The key to rolling 4 lines is multiple D men who can break out effectively and hold the line when the bottom 6 dump it in. It’s also nice to have some shots that can get through back there cause that’s how a bottom 6 scores, rebounds, tips, garbage goals. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

Fair enough, who wouldn’t like to see even distribution? It’s hard to watch a game on TV and know exactly what TG is seeing and why he is doing it. IMO The biggest issue with our team is we don’t have an identity or brand. Successful teams have that. The VGK are heavy, yet fast and pretty assertive. The players they have fit that style. The Wings and Hawks were puck possession teams and they drafted and acquired players that fit that mold. The Devils of the 90’s were a smothering trap team and they also built to that style. Our style is almost based on what line is on the ice. That’s not really Travis Greens problem thats Jim Benning’s. Like What the hell is Canucks hockey anyway? Lol. Quinn Hughes is the only D man we have that can carry the puck. The rest break out from passing. Pretty hard to get out of the neutral zone when you only have one option. Then you throw Beagle, JV, Mac, DR, Sutter out there and expect to have O zone possession time? Then you have Mario Gaudette who spends half the game chasing his own turnovers lol. The key to rolling 4 lines is multiple D men who can break out effectively and hold the line when the bottom 6 dump it in. It’s also nice to have some shots that can get through back there cause that’s how a bottom 6 scores, rebounds, tips, garbage goals. 

Our Bottom 6 players ARE THE WORST IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE but fortunately in the next 18 months we CAN DISPOSE OF ALL OF THEM as we shed over $40M+ of deadwood/contracts.  If JB gives any of them an extension I'm going to blow a gasket.  They are borderline useless and playing our Rookies would even be a better option at this point than watching these dregs drag their behinds around the ice in futility.   Watching lazy Jake, Roussel, Beagle, Eriksson and the other cast of clowns is unbearable! Who TF signed these guys on these overpriced long term contracts anyways???

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1
4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Damn it.  Hughes was not nearly skating fast enough going back.

That's why he's got the 3rd worst +/- out of all 756 players in the entire league.

40 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

Your looking at it from mainly a talent point of view whereas, Iam more looking at it from a strategic point of view regardless of talent.  Imo, it is the coaches job to create that structure and identity (those teams you listed took on the identity of there coaches by playing the styles those coaches likes to play and the players bought in).  

Edited by ShawnAntoski

Ottawa at least is doing there part in slowing down Montreal and the likes.  Ottawa won Montreal in OT.  It's a race to the bottom.  Have u guys read about remote control pucks. I think it's happening to us.  It's a good read!! Kinda sorta explains why maybe EP been hitting so many twines? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.stanleycupofchowder.com/platform/amp/2021/1/19/22239802/nhl-replaces-bad-pucks-nhl-puck-tracking-data-science-the-bruins-cant-score-its-a-conspiracy

Edited by aznmonk
15 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Your looking at it from a mainly a talent point of view whereas, Iam more looking at it from a strategic point of view regardless of talent.  Imo, it is the coaches job to create that structure and identity.  

It’s both, VGK didn’t change their Identity when they changed coaches. How many different coaches did the Devils have in the 90’s? Even the Red Wings. The identity starts with the GM, he builds a plan with the scouting staff, they pick these players on the draft floor. Then you need coaches that can coach the brand that you’re building. The GM then adds players that complement the core he drafted and the system the coaching staff has in place. Like I said before. Who are we? If you could coach us into an identity then tell me what that identity would be? 

27 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Our Bottom 6 players ARE THE WORST IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE but fortunately in the next 18 months we CAN DISPOSE OF ALL OF THEM as we shed over $40M+ of deadwood/contracts.  If JB gives any of them an extension I'm going to blow a gasket.  They are borderline useless and playing our Rookies would even be a better option at this point than watching these dregs drag their behinds around the ice in futility.   Watching lazy Jake, Roussel, Beagle, Eriksson and the other cast of clowns is unbearable! Who TF signed these guys on these overpriced long term contracts anyways???

Really?

What games have you been watching? The 4th line with Beagle, JV and MAC had a really good game that applied some good pressure. 

I would have to say that the Lotto line is costing us games and the fact that they are being overplayed with Hughes. Their passes are suspect and over complicated. I saw many passes on the PP1 that should have been intercepted. JT Miller has been the biggest culprit. 

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Really?

What games have you been watching? The 4th line with Beagle, JV and MAC had a really good game that applied some good pressure. 

I would have to say that the Lotto line is costing us games and the fact that they are being overplayed with Hughes. Their passes are suspect and over complicated. I saw many passes on the PP1 that should have been intercepted. JT Miller has been the biggest culprit. 

Agree, Jake beags and mac played well applying pressure and hitting in the ozone. That poster just wanted to rag on the 3 and hope no one called him out on it.  Boeser was our biggest problem tonight with lousy even strength play.

3 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

I don't care if we lost this one. Still smiling after Foughtbad got his %$# beat and handed back to him by Big Mac and then seeing Hoglander's smiling face...classic

This is exactly what builds team chemistry.

8 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Agree, Jake beags and mac played well applying pressure and hitting in the ozone. That poster just wanted to rag on the 3 and hope no one called him out on it.  Boeser was our biggest problem tonight with lousy even strength play.

The problem is that this board is so full of these kinds of posters now. It is like HF is trying to crawl out of the cellar 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

so can we call JV a bust yet? or we are still being delusional thinking he's going to be a 25goal + scorer and a force to reckon with? he doesn't score he doesn't shoot he doesnt' do anything. at least LE plays defense i guess

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Henrique is a mediocre player which we have enough, no thanks. No more mediocre players that cant score please. I just want the management to sign podkolzin and Tryamkin and get rid of the dead weight. Maybe trade Virtanen for Bennett who can hit unlike Virtanen.

agreed minus bennett hes not that good   im sure theres other players we can target 

7 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Canucks in OT

bike-jump-fail.gif

I don't know ... is that BB?   Looks to have pretty good form pushing off with his arms after wiping out first flip - didn't nail the landing - where do you guys find these things - freaking hilarious stuff 

2 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Is that an instant replay of Schmidt's second goal against our own team ?

and if he had pulled it off the line you would be calling him brilliant today. last time I checked the D played infront of the goalie,not behind. the fact that Schmidt even had to attempt to to stop the puck is because it got by our goalie.......again. That goal is not on Schmidt in any way. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, FaninMex said:

Hogs had a huge smile on his face too. I laughed at seeing that.

Glad they panned to the bench after and showed his reaction - this kid is great in more ways then one.   Reminds me of Brashear pounding one of Odjicks most frequent fighting partners (Bonvie or DeBrusk, think Bonvie), and the camera crew pans to Gino who's laughing out loud at the bench.    Hoglander grinning and enthusiastic stick banging turned out to be the highlight of the game for me. 

• Upvote 1