The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | February 21, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP NHLN

Rate this topic

-SN-

4 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

so can we call JV a bust yet? or we are still being delusional thinking he's going to be a 25goal + scorer and a force to reckon with? he doesn't score he doesn't shoot he doesnt' do anything. at least LE plays defense i guess

No. Because his advanced stats and deployment say otherwise. Or so we have been told. Advanced stats are more important than anything. Including 1 point in 18 games.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

The recent 2 goal lead collapses are definitely a little hard to take.

It seems like we carry the play for the majority of the game and as soon as we have a mind fart, it's in the back of our net.

This is all part of the process.  As much as I hate to admit it, this reminds me of the Maple Leafs from a few years ago.

I do like the push back from our bottom 6 tonight during key moments when momentum was starting to turn against us.

I do think these experiences will make us better down the road.

I would say that we've outplayed our opponent every game since the last Maple Leafs game.  Yes it sounds like a crappy moral victory but that's pretty solid for a team to continue putting out high effort.  Our guys will realize that this is what we need to do game in and game out

I dont think we came into this season ready after having a great play ins and a solid showing in the playoffs last year.

This season has brougt them back into reality which is good for a young team to learn.

Anyway, game was very entertaining.

THought Brock was awesome and showed good hustle.

Petey still fumbling a bit despite 2 goals and a post which is pretty amazing (that he can do even better)

Myers has looked solid for the past stretch of games.

I think he's been a beaut.

And that fight by Mac was awesome.  Smile on Hog's face was priceless

This team is coming together!

But what is the "reality" of this team?

The Canucks were trending in the wrong direction when the season shut down last March. 6-9-2 in their previous 13 and they had 13 games to go. Had they finished the final 13 games and gone something like 7-4-2 and squeaked into one of the 2 wildcards then had 2-3 days off and took on the Blues and then Vegas then that would have been a "solid showing" in both finishing the regular season strong and having a playoff run. But that's not "reality".

Reality is they didn't have to finish strong, they had 5 months off and were gifted being part of the 24 team bubble.

In the bubble they went 10-7 with a +3 goal differential in 31 days. Not exactly great hockey.

Take out the play-in against Minny and its a 7-6 record and +1 goal differential in 23 days. Again not great other than the fact the NHL called it the playoffs.

It looks like the "reality" is that the Canucks are more like the struggling team at the end of last season than the "solid showing" team from the bubble.

4 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

It looks like the "reality" is that the Canucks are more like the struggling team at the end of last season than the "solid showing" team from the bubble.

Minus the stellar goaltending.  And no, goaltending is far from the team’s current problems.......only that it hasn’t bailed them out countless times las season (regular season and postseason).

3 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

But what is the "reality" of this team?

The Canucks were trending in the wrong direction when the season shut down last March. 6-9-2 in their previous 13 and they had 13 games to go. Had they finished the final 13 games and gone something like 7-4-2 and squeaked into one of the 2 wildcards then had 2-3 days off and took on the Blues and then Vegas then that would have been a "solid showing" in both finishing the regular season strong and having a playoff run. But that's not "reality".

Reality is they didn't have to finish strong, they had 5 months off and were gifted being part of the 24 team bubble.

In the bubble they went 10-7 with a +3 goal differential in 31 days. Not exactly great hockey.

Take out the play-in against Minny and its a 7-6 record and +1 goal differential in 23 days. Again not great other than the fact the NHL called it the playoffs.

And, most importantly - they did that with Tanev, TT and Markstrom. 

No point in dwelling on our awful start - but the last 7 games thing are trending in the right direction.    This season we have only OTT to beat on, no easy games otherwise.   League parity in this division is fully on display now.   All i will add is the team hasn't lost many first periods play wise during that stretch, is close to .500, and hasn't been blown out once.  Balance of play is titled down the other side of the ice too.   Too bad they didn't start the year like this - but it is what it is.   They are fighting to win games now, figuratively and literally.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Incredible hockey? How so? 

Hey leave him alone.  That's Apollo - he's a heart and soul member of this forum.   If we make the playoffs - yes we could win the cup, just like pretty much every team in this league.    When this team is on...good things happen.   Wait and see - i'm sure we will get to watch our first overall fantasies dissolve into what's left around ten - you know right before or around the TDL go on an absolute tear.    That's the team we love and follow.  

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Hey leave him alone.  That's Apollo - he's a heart and soul member of this forum.   If we make the playoffs - yes we could win the cup, just like pretty much every team in this league.    When this team is on...good things happen.   Wait and see - i'm sure we will get to watch our first overall fantasies dissolve into what's left around ten - you know right before or around the TDL go on an absolute tear.    That's the team we love and follow.  

I'll do no such thing.

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

And, most importantly - they did that with Tanev, TT and Markstrom. 

No point in dwelling on our awful start - but the last 7 games thing are trending in the right direction.    This season we have only OTT to beat on, no easy games otherwise.   League parity in this division is fully on display now.   All i will add is the team hasn't lost many first periods play wise during that stretch, is close to .500, and hasn't been blown out once.  Balance of play is titled down the other side of the ice too.   Too bad they didn't start the year like this - but it is what it is.   They are fighting to win games now, figuratively and literally.  

It’s kind of like how the old Smythe division was back in the good old days (aka Sweathog division).  Bunch of hard working teams along with some real dogs.  No realistic Cup contenders though.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

It’s kind of like how the old Smythe division was back in the good old days (aka Sweathog division).  Bunch of hard working teams along with some real dogs.  No realistic Cup contenders though.

Well EDM and CAL would sure have something to say about that - LA for awhile too.    For a decade EDM and CAL had an arms race that i've never seen since.    Rare time EDM faltered, CAL was right there to go to the final. 

That said VAN and WNP and LA pre-Gretzky fit that theme 

Edited by IBatch

Its been a rough patch, but looking at the stats from the last 10 games the team is really starting to cut down on shots. We've got a top 10 PK. Brock has become a much more complete player. Hoglander, OJ, etc.

There's a lot to like here, the only question for me is there enough season left to close the gap? because the team is improving and I don't think anyone would trade places with Calgary, e.g. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

Its been a rough patch, but looking at the stats from the last 10 games the team is really starting to cut down on shots. We've got a top 10 PK. Brock has become a much more complete player. Hoglander, OJ, etc.

There's a lot to like here, the only question for me is there enough season left to close the gap? because the team is improving and I don't think anyone would trade places with Calgary, e.g. 

If this was an 82 game schedule - yes for sure.   It would take a miracle at this point.   And yes there is a lot to like.   Team should have a little cash left over to make a few minor signings next season.   As long as the core keeps getting better we should be in a good spot to make a 5 year run at the playoffs, maybe more. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, lmm said:

the tank is in good hands

its a terrible and also stupid year to tank. The scouting is going to be all over the place and imo the top 10 this year isn't that much of an exciting  group. I'd rather trade this years 1st if we can make a significant upgrade. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Vintage 1