The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | February 21, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP NHLN

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Its been a rough patch, but looking at the stats from the last 10 games the team is really starting to cut down on shots. We've got a top 10 PK. Brock has become a much more complete player. Hoglander, OJ, etc.

There's a lot to like here, the only question for me is there enough season left to close the gap? because the team is improving and I don't think anyone would trade places with Calgary, e.g. 

For starters.......who the **** would want to live in Calgary?:ph34r:

• Haha 1

Just now, IBatch said:

If this was an 82 game schedule - yes for sure.   It would take a miracle at this point. 

Calgary is crapping the bed, and Edmonton is one groin strain away from falling too. We do have a shot at 4th if we can continue to beat Calgary and Winnipeg.

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

so can we call JV a bust yet?

No.

5 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

or we are still being delusional thinking he's going to be a 25goal + scorer

Some are, but they are as wrong as those calling him a bust.

Jake is a fast skater, occasional hitter, who scores about 20 goals per season on limited ice time.

Not a bust, not a star.

A middle 3rd winger, every team has a middle third player or two.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Calgary is crapping the bed, and Edmonton is one groin strain away from falling too. We do have a shot at 4th if we can continue to beat Calgary and Winnipeg.

That's true.   We don't have two or three bad teams to beat up on like other divisions, but we also have one less in our division too - and so far don't have to deal with any covid stuff.    I'm just going to enjoy playing all these teams - and watching the hate build up. 

Edit:  Also said weeks ago loser points are going to end up deciding the bottom two order of things.   Two times we've been ahead - and then behind - and then saved a point.   This division is insanely balanced aside from TO. 

Edited by IBatch

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

What do you mean continue? We’re 2&4 against Calgary and 1&2 against Winnipeg, we haven’t even started winning against them.

• Haha 1

its a terrible and also stupid year to tank. The scouting is going to be all over the place and imo the top 10 this year isn't that much of an existing group. I'd rather trade this years 1st if we can make a significant upgrade. 

this place is like ground hog day

I thought after we traded for Miller the tank was off...

guess I was wrong

everything that was old is new again!!! woot

Just now, IBatch said:

That's true.   We don't have two or three bad teams to beat up on like other divisions, but we also have one less in our division too - and so far don't have to deal with any covid stuff.    I'm just going to enjoy playing all these teams - and watching the hate build up. 

I get we are realistically in long-shot territory, but there is a path. I hate all this tank talk, particularly in a weird draft year. I'd rather Jim trade it for a player with term that can be a difference maker now. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

What do you mean continue? We’re 2&4 against Calgary and 1&2 against Winnipeg, we haven’t even started winning against them.

CAL is crapping the bed though .. and we are 1-1-1 against WNP. (and yes WNP is 2-1 - one point so for more)...

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

I see this season as a year to iron out the kinks. Demko is getting valuable time as a starter (and imo, we should start him more); Hoglander gets his feet wet in the NHL; Juolevi finally made his debut and slowly developing towards a Top 4 D. I think all 3 will be key parts of this team going forward. Next off-season, the goal should focused on shedding cap-space and moving out deadweights. Give this team good supporting cast so to the the pressure off the young players. We are fine long term.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I get we are realistically in long-shot territory, but there is a path. I hate all this tank talk, particularly in a weird draft year. I'd rather Jim trade it for a player with term that can be a difference maker now. 

Me too.   There still is more hockey left then already played right?  A lot can happen.  CAL and WNP aren't exactly lighting it up.   EDM on a bit of a roll but that could change.   MTL has fallen back to earth as well.   Only TO had a firm grip on the division - and who knows if that will stay - last time the beat is but we were all over them most of the game....

Just now, IBatch said:

Me too.   There still is more hockey left then already played right?  A lot can happen.  CAL and WNP aren't exactly lighting it up.   EDM on a bit of a roll but that could change.   MTL has fallen back to earth as well.   Only TO had a firm grip on the division - and who knows if that will stay - last time the beat is but we were all over them most of the game....

there has to be a deal where we can package our 1st rounder and a F to someone thats going to lose a quality player to expansion. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

I see this season as a year to iron out the kinks. Demko is getting valuable time as a starter (and imo, we should start him more); Hoglander gets his feet wet in the NHL; Juolevi finally made his debut and slowly developing towards a Top 4 D. I think all 3 will be key parts of this team going forward. Next off-season, the goal should focused on shedding cap-space and moving out deadweights. Give this team good supporting cast so to the the pressure off the young players. We are fine long term.

Yep.!    Nice to see a level head on here. Me too.    JB gave the team enough to succeed - but barely.    The only concern i have is how he spends the extra money, that said he was hesitant and didn't bite on any of the big three - the correct move - so that's a good sign.   Drafting is what got us this far and drafting is also what should push us over the edge - but another Miller deal would be extremely helpful as well.   Don't come along very often ...The next two off seasons will for sure set the tone. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

there has to be a deal where we can package our 1st rounder and a F to someone thats going to lose a quality player to expansion. 

Who though?  We add another Schmidt maybe a few years younger and lose Myers?   And a first and a F... doubt this scenario will present itself. 

Edited by IBatch