Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | February 21, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP NHLN

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

Said this before the season started - and last year too, this team has a little bit of a vibe when Luongo first came, we made the playoffs - won a round and missed ... even better as Darius pointed out, early 90's with another evolving core losing a coach.   

 

This roster isn't right yet - or set.   Who knows how things will work out, but we have a chance at some good years coming up, more then a lot of rebuilding teams can say, and more then a lot of veteran teams can too (that's you CAL - surely committed now right?).  

 

Goal is to win a cup.   Not enter the cycle that most teams end up in, that is the cycle of mediocrity.   Maybe it completely fails - then i could say i was right along and no way the next core has a chance - maybe part of this one and the next has the best chance.   Point is too many flaws.   We don't have top ten goaltending.   We don't have a number one minute munching Weber/ AP/Josi/Hedman type.     What we do have is a lot of potential - unproven as of yet - and that's about it.   More then i expected.    

 

Terrible start.   Awful.  Keenan era stuff.  But it does appear the ship is righted.  Best case at this point is JB has a great draft.   We need it.  We won't find what we need on the open market.  At best maybe one large hole can be filled.   Another Schmidt/Myers deal to replace prime Edler - or another Miller type to up Pearson and Podz works out.  

 

We don't have the bones yet to contend. 

 

Need two or three more players to push us over the top.  BB is the only one playing to his potential right now.  

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

That is intriguing. I automatically assumed the Canucks would pick in the Top 10 again this year, but maybe Benning does something similar when he got Miller? I'm not sure a high first will help this team in the near future, could take years for the "new guy" to get up to good NHL speed. 

 

Idea:

 

Trade Jake to BUF or OTT or some other team he won't flourish on. Do not trade him to BOS or within the division. 

 

to BOS: Gaudette and 1st (sending Gaud home) - and ??

to VAN: Carlo and Coyle (or something like that)

 

bottom 6:

Motte - Coyle - MacEwen

Roussel - Beagle - Sutter

 

D:

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Carlo

Juolevi - Schmidt

 

 

EDIT - I realized the cap wouldn't allow something like this, unless VAN could somehow shed salary

 

 

I like the idea of getting Carlo, a lot. I'd do Gaud's and a top 5 protected pick for him, maybe Fabbro from NSH. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

 

I agree on coaching Jimmy, and before we go and start selling off draft picks, I want to see what a coaching change does.

 

Truthfully, I want to see us clear up our cap space before adding any players, and would like to wait and clear that space organically in the summer

 

This year seems to be a write off, and if we are going to add a significant player, it needs to be just that. IMO, you are not getting much of an upgrade over Sutter

 

by way of trade, especially when we are tight to the cap. 

 

 

not me, I'm in a selling mode. Its going to be a hit-or-miss draft like no other imo, there's just no way to properly scout the players this year. It will be Euro-heavy in the 1st round since thats where most of the games are being played.

 

If we can move a lotto/top5 protected pick for an RFA d or C, I'm all for it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Incredible hockey? How so? 

I genuinely thought the team was buzzing all night... a few inches here or there the canucks could have been up 5-1 ... hockey is a game of inches when its being played at such high level with both teams competing hard a bounce here or there changes everything... jets 2nd and 3rd goals were against the tide too

 

I know we blew a lead and only got 1 point, but that was one of the most entertaining games i've seen all year. Boys battled hard and pulled out a gutsy point... every night since the 2nd leafs game they've given it %100 ... I think we'll rally and get into the playoffs as long as they keep up this effort

 

The future has never been this bright for this franchise. Night after night we see a 20-25 year olds absolutely put this team on their backs and carry us to W's . Brocky and Petey and Quinn all had me on the edge of my seat last night and yea I thought it's incredible hockey

 

When have we ever had this in the past 50 years? Listen the Sedins are gods (I pray to them), the WCE at their prime are arguably top 5 line all time... but they never did this as 21 22 23 years old... this group that Jim has put together now is on another level. Feel blessed.

 

It's never good getting frustrated. I know what it's like - i've punched a wall over a Canucks / Caps regular season game before... old me would probably do it over the 2nd leafs game this year... it was bad. But instead i went out for a walk , was raining so just dressed appropriately. Felt way better than wasting time typing out negative thoughts about the team.

 

 

Edited by apollo
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I like the idea of getting Carlo, a lot. I'd do Gaud's and a top 5 protected pick for him, maybe Fabbro from NSH. 

No offense Jimmy

 

But do you think Carlo stops the soft goals, or adds secondary scoring? Or bad deployment?

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

No offense Jimmy

 

But do you think Carlo stops the soft goals, or adds secondary scoring? Or bad deployment?

Who knows.   At this point it all comes down to the dressing room.   Guys have to dig deep.   As far as i'm concerned, the season will be a success if they keep playing how they have been the last 7-8 games and  the wins will come.   And they will have gained some respect.  For sure they have against CAL and WNP the last several games.   Don't want to see a GM come in and turn us into ARI or CAR.    Two teams who are now working with their second cores...CAR seems to have turned the corner but wow ... a lot of time spent with no playoffs - almost a decade... If JB/TG or whomever comes in next screws this up - i'm going to be seriously disappointed ... sometimes it sucks being a Canucks fan but it will just keep waiting and waiting and waiting for it to finally happen.   Might be dead by then in which case i'm going to haunt the team and the CDC forever. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, apollo said:

I genuinely thought the team was buzzing all night... a few inches here or there the canucks could have been up 5-1 ... hockey is a game of inches when its being played at such high level with both teams competing hard a bounce here or there changes everything... jets 2nd and 3rd goals were against the tide too

 

I know we blew a lead and only got 1 point, but that was one of the most entertaining games i've seen all year. Boys battled hard and pulled out a gutsy point... every night since the 2nd leafs game they've given it %100 ... I think we'll rally and get into the playoffs as long as they keep up this effort

 

The future has never been this bright for this franchise. Night after night we see a 20-25 year olds absolutely put this team on their backs and carry us to W's . Brocky and Petey and Quinn all had me on the edge of my seat last night and yea I thought it's incredible hockey

 

When have we ever had this in the past 50 years? Listen the Sedins are gods (I pray to them), the WCE at their prime are arguably top 5 line all time... but they never did this as 21 22 23 years old... this group that Jim has put together now is on another level. Feel blessed.

 

It's never good getting frustrated. I know what it's like - i've punched a wall over a Canucks / Caps regular season game before... old me would probably do it over the 2nd leafs game this year... it was bad. But instead i went out for a walk , was raining so just dressed appropriately. Felt way better than wasting time typing out negative thoughts about the team.

 

 

A lot of the thoughts aren't negative. They're realistic. I haven't seen many of the players put the team on their back either. Not the captain, and not one of the aforementioned 20-25 year olds.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

No offense Jimmy

 

But do you think Carlo stops the soft goals, or adds secondary scoring? Or bad deployment?

why would I be offended :lol:

 

yes I think a d corps of this does make us much harder to play against (in this or some other config):

Hughes-Myers

Edler/Schmidt-Carlo

Juolevi-Tryamkin 

 

gives us options on keeping or moving on from Edler too. I like Eddy but we'll see how all the new contacts shake out. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think you are missing the point of the quote Jimmy

 

The guys listed above Boeser, Pettersson, Millre, Edler, Schmidt, and Holtby were all zero or plus players for the game, these guys were not. I did mention coaching as well, so I think you kind of took this one part and quoted it out of context. Maybe I was not clear in my point, but it was there in the box score for the game, for anyone to see.

 

As much as I loved seeing Pettersson scoring goals, his line was a minus tonight. 

 

The bigger question, and the one that should be discussed is why are we loosing games? Is it the players, the goaltending or the coaching? I actually do not think it is the players, as much as the later 2 (Goaltending and deployment) I am just not sure what to do about it? 

 

I actually think our players are as good as anyone's (within reason)

I've said from the beginning of the season, we are losing games because our players are not quite good enough; and our core players are, generally, very young.  Our defence was weaker with the loss of Tanev and Stecher too.  I wasn't impressed with Boeser last year or during the playoffs but, happily, he is proving me wrong this season.  I was concerned about his speed and two-way game and both seem improved. 

 

I was very concerned about our team defensive play from last season given the very high number of shots against most games and Marky had to bail us out too many games.  However, in the past 10 games (this season) or so, our defensive play is much improved as the shots against have dropped.

 

I'd say our guys are about two years away from being a solid playoff team.  As much as it hurts me to say it, I predicted that this team would not make the playoffs this season and, it appears that I'm right.  I think Green is a good coach but that doesn't mean he won't lose his job.  I don't think a new coach is going to wave a magic wand and turn this team into a strong playoff team.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not me, I'm in a selling mode. Its going to be a hit-or-miss draft like no other imo, there's just no way to properly scout the players this year. It will be Euro-heavy in the 1st round since thats where most of the games are being played.

 

If we can move a lotto/top5 protected pick for an RFA d or C, I'm all for it. 

I don't disagree that this year is different, but still think there are picks that stand out

 

But more so.......remember how Gillies moved picks to get that last piece so we could compete at the top?....Well, that is what you are suggesting, except we are no way near at the same level as where the Canucks were at that time.

 

I would far more like to run this season out, and make our 1st and 2nd round picks this year, and then after sifting through the free agents, then look where we are at........if at that time, we are still that one guy short, well then make a move.

 

Take a look at Florida this year......they had cap space and made some great off season moves........they are now competitive 

 

Let's see where we are at........

 

Hoglander, Juolevi, Podkolzin, and maybe Tryamkin, Rathbone and Lind are all added or more experienced.....we are still in rebuild

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, janisahockeynut said:

I don't disagree that this year is different, but still think there are picks that stand out

 

But more so.......remember how Gillies moved picks to get that last piece so we could compete at the top?....Well, that is what you are suggesting, except we are no way near at the same level as where the Canucks were at that time.

 

I would far more like to run this season out, and make our 1st and 2nd round picks this year, and then after sifting through the free agents, then look where we are at........if at that time, we are still that one guy short, well then make a move.

 

Take a look at Florida this year......they had cap space and made some great off season moves........they are now competitive 

 

Let's see where we are at........

 

Hoglander, Juolevi, Podkolzin, and maybe Tryamkin, Rathbone and Lind are all added or more experienced.....we are still in rebuild

I guess I just don't see a prospect thats going to be in the lineup while we still have Petey and Brock together. Seems like a good year to me to move that 1st for an RFA who can contribute now and into the next 4 years but I can see your point too. 

 

I don't see it quite like Gillis, since we have so many good home grown talents in the lineup now and Pod's on the way too. 

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess I just don't see a prospect thats going to be in the lineup while we still have Petey and Brock together. Seems like a good year to me to move that 1st for an RFA who can contribute now and into the next 4 years but I can see your point too. 

 

I don't see it quite like Gillis, since we have so many good home grown talents in the lineup now and Pod's on the way too. 

Hey, there, did you ever hear about this Pettersson guy or his friend Hughes? They came to visit their friend Boeser, and tell them about these 2 guys Hoglander and Podkolzin.

 

They are all getting togther at the draft to see who the Canucks pick next! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

A lot of the thoughts aren't negative. They're realistic. I haven't seen many of the players put the team on their back either. Not the captain, and not one of the aforementioned 20-25 year olds.  

Hey your doing it again.  Apollo is correct as long as i've watched this team , only one other group of young guys have existed with this much potential and it goes beyond his experience.   Linden, Ronning, Bure and Nedved.   That's it.   The Sedins did nothing, same as Naslund at their age.    Why be so quick to be negative about EP, BB and QHs?  Yes expectations went way up their first year.   Then ... well how many folks on this site gave up on BB last year after one season.   And speaking of one season - Nedved only had one good one with us - his contract year so he doesn't really at all compare to these guys either. 

 

Was a chump until he exploded for 38 goals and the didn't like his offer what a baby.  

 

Got sidetracked.  Apollo's posts IMO, should be respected in the same way Vintages are.  And Darius.  And Smithers Joe and a few others.   We need him.   Can't wait to see his posts when we are winning again.  It will happen.   Yes i also get the realistic too.   Realistically, we've only ever had this much young talent one other time in our entire history.   And it's  not the WCE era or the Sedin era. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, apollo said:

I genuinely thought the team was buzzing all night... a few inches here or there the canucks could have been up 5-1 ... hockey is a game of inches when its being played at such high level with both teams competing hard a bounce here or there changes everything... jets 2nd and 3rd goals were against the tide too

 

I know we blew a lead and only got 1 point, but that was one of the most entertaining games i've seen all year. Boys battled hard and pulled out a gutsy point... every night since the 2nd leafs game they've given it %100 ... I think we'll rally and get into the playoffs as long as they keep up this effort

 

The future has never been this bright for this franchise. Night after night we see a 20-25 year olds absolutely put this team on their backs and carry us to W's . Brocky and Petey and Quinn all had me on the edge of my seat last night and yea I thought it's incredible hockey

 

When have we ever had this in the past 50 years? Listen the Sedins are gods (I pray to them), the WCE at their prime are arguably top 5 line all time... but they never did this as 21 22 23 years old... this group that Jim has put together now is on another level. Feel blessed.

 

It's never good getting frustrated. I know what it's like - i've punched a wall over a Canucks / Caps regular season game before... old me would probably do it over the 2nd leafs game this year... it was bad. But instead i went out for a walk , was raining so just dressed appropriately. Felt way better than wasting time typing out negative thoughts about the team.

 

 

LOL I love it. Like my mom used to tell me growing up, put a coat on, you don’t want to catch a cold. All

jokes aside, your homerism and uber positive outlook on things is a thing of beauty. Always gets me chuckling. 

  • Sedinery 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Hey your doing it again.

And? 

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

 Apollo is correct as long as i've watched this team , only one other group of young guys have existed with this much potential and it goes beyond his experience.   Linden, Ronning, Bure and Nedved.   That's it.   The Sedins did nothing, same as Naslund at their age.    Why be so quick to be negative about EP, BB and QHs?

Again, maybe put the pom poms away and accept that some folks view the team realistically and not negatively. Certainly Pettersson, Boeser, and Hughes are talented and will most likely get better considering their age, but that still doesn't negate the fact that they're not playing (well Boeser is playing really well) anywhere near their potential these days. Growing pains. 

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

 Yes expectations went way up their first year.   Then ... well how many folks on this site gave up on BB last year after one season.   And speaking of one season - Nedved only had one good one with us - his contract year so he doesn't really at all compare to these guys either. 

 

Was a chump until he exploded for 38 goals and the didn't like his offer what a baby.  

 

Got sidetracked.  Apollo's posts IMO, should be respected in the same way Vintages are.  And Darius.  And Smithers Joe and a few others.   We need him.   Can't wait to see his posts when we are winning again.  It will happen.   Yes i also get the realistic too.   Realistically, we've only ever had this much young talent one other time in our entire history.   And it's  not the WCE era or the Sedin era. 

No ones posts need to be respected because of who makes them. That's ridiculous. Every post should be respected based solely on the merit of the post. 

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Easy to be negative, or "realistic" lol. I still see the give-aways (trying to make plays that aren't there), and the resulting turnovers pressuring the defence. If the young talent tightens up their passing and puck control, it'll result in less chances for the opposing team, and a better game for the Canucks. I think they're not that far off both talent wise and coaching. Maybe a new coach helps tighten them up, but I'm seeing execution as the biggest problem. My opinion, for what its worth.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...